How Ark turned me into a dictator

JINROHscorpio

16 hours ago, OGCookies said:

Well said so sick of people on this forum trying to be a psychiatrist and directly relate ark behavior to life the thing is most people realize it's a game and play accordingly just a few obsessively compulsive people on here can't seem to separate the two

It's like saying I dressed up as a monster for Halloween so for the rest of the year I hide under people's beds.....

Well, I guess the way you play shows a little bit who you could be, but I agree with your comment. In another thread, someone told me that this story looked like, IRL :

Someone killed a fly I had tamed, and for revenge I killed his cat. He insulted me, so, me and my friends went to his house, killed his cat, his baby and all his family...

Some people have serious problems...

On 2/17/2017 at 11:38 AM, DeweyDecimal said:

ARK forged a leader out of me

Team play, diplomacy, political strategy, I have a better understanding of all these concepts through my ark experiences.

The dictator thing kills server pops. We've done it.

Mostly we just play the benevolent helpful alpha, work things out with everyone, secretly break into their bases and check for explosives. Dont kill or take anything unless explosives are found. Maybe get another small tribes dino killed to their turrets, so they think it was them. Good times.

"Hey Alpha! These guys raided our base, their dino is in our logs and our base got broke into!"
"Do what you guys gotta do, we're not getting involved."

19 hours ago, OGCookies said:

Well said so sick of people on this forum trying to be a psychiatrist and directly relate ark behavior to life the thing is most people realize it's a game and play accordingly just a few obsessively compulsive people on here can't seem to separate the two

It's like saying I dressed up as a monster for Halloween so for the rest of the year I hide under people's beds.....

Power is power dude, no matter where... if you're a relentless tyrant in a game that you have power, you'd probably be the same in rl, if you have power.
Search about "Dark Triad", you have no idea how people who seek power tend to be violent and manipulative, whether in corporate environments, churches, philanthropic organizations, social movements and, ofc, online games.
btw, i'm not native english speaker, sorry about grammar/spelling/whatever...

2 hours ago, RobGRiNDER said:

The occasion makes tyranny; The tyrant already born this way

So, if I understand you, if I drive and kill pedestrians in GTA, I could do in real life if I have a car ?

oh, wait, I have a car !!

You have power in a videogame, you can try to do things you would never do IRL.

8 hours ago, RobGRiNDER said:

Power is power dude, no matter where... if you're a relentless tyrant in a game that you have power, you'd probably be the same in rl, if you have power.
Search about "Dark Triad", you have no idea how people who seek power tend to be violent and manipulative, whether in corporate environments, churches, philanthropic organizations, social movements and, ofc, online games.
btw, i'm not native english speaker, sorry about grammar/spelling/whatever...

Again it is a video game you have absolutely 0 power in anything because your playing a GAME so like I was saying there are of course the select few who cant seem to separate actual life from having fun blowing stuff up for no reason on a game

Few years ago, rock 'n roll was the devil music, now video games are the reason why people are violent...

People always find bad excuses for things they fear or misunderstand. Video games are entertainement, that's all. Ark is a game where I can be a dictator, a philanthropist, an architect, a warrior, a thief, ... One day I can be good, one day I can be bad, whatever, I'm here to have fun, and locking a troll that insulted me for 3h gave me so much fun.

Do I need to see a psy ?

On 19 février 2017 at 11:03 PM, vanyelxp5 said:

I dunno, I often ride around a giant dinosaur and slaughter thousands of tiny creatures for their delicious meat in real life. So the game is not that different for me :P

:)

How lucky you are... The only dinosaure I know is now president of the usa, but can't eat him !

On 2/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, DeweyDecimal said:

Team play, diplomacy, political strategy, I have a better understanding of all these concepts through my ark experiences.

Yea same in this game if your stubborn you die or rage 

On 2/17/2017 at 1:38 PM, DeweyDecimal said:

Yea the same I didn't know how to work as a team player before I'm was the the whole football team but in this game if you go it alone you will die you need a team behind you for when you get attacked you have a couple guys ready to f*** them up

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, Fishinghawk said:

Ark is a big social experiment, lets people know what kinda person they would be if they took over a country lol.  Of course it all a game and people can say that because it's a game they act that way, but I wonder if that's the truth haha.

Well I united our server into an 8 tribe alliance and were all great friends. We fend off terrorists who attempt attacks on our country and we keep the lands clean.

I was a solo alpha on The Island back when autos could be on quetz and people were still learning (xbox).  I had the advantage of playing 2 months on PvE so I knew a LOT more than those on the server who did dedicated PvP.  My fortress was up on Frozen fange/tooth?  The one that was right next to snow biome.  It was unraidable thanks to over 100 turrets (I knew to block water pearl caves, use bed and fast travel/store pearls every 25 min).  I knew how to tame mosas and plesis and had a huge egg farm and water pen with every dino I would need.  I bred over 25 lvl 170+ war quetz.  I knew how to sink foundations and had a trademark on the 27 gun, 20k hp 200 speed war quetz and many of them had MC/ASC saddles.  I dual boxed so I was able to do the weight glitch to mine 10-20k INGOTS in 45 minutes while everyone was still using refining forges and argies.  Thats how I attained power solo.

What I chose to do with that power was to let my server thrive.  New players got starter kits containing upgraded xbows, tools, armor and all the fixins.  My only rules were to not block major resources, don't build in artifact caves and don't be a bully.  2 other tribes with several people grew large and we all unofficially allied as we all shared a common vision for our server.  Maybe 6-7 times tribes would try to grow and topple us and I lead the armies to topple them.  Directing the shots and providing the majority of the hardware.  We lived on a thriving, happy server.  I was proud of what I started and helped to maintain.  Then The Center was announced.  War broke out between us 3 alphas (a title I willingly allowed to be used).  Through gamesmanship and politics I chose my side and chose it correctly as the other side used propaganda to incite the tertiary tribes to allign with them against me, another alpha and two other tertiary tribes I had grown to respect and trust.

Through many hard fought battles over the course of 7 days we had defeated our enemies.  Despite my negotiations attempting server peace, war became the only option.  It was both heartbreaking to see the server I had worked so hard to foster fall into shambles and exciting to see all the mechanisms of war I had been building and keeping on reserve for just this event.  The triumph was hard earned and well deserved.  One anecdote, the tides turned when the "Rebel Alliance" as I called them got word of us turreting off the volcano (which had been maintained forever as a neutral territory) and chose to send their entire fleet of 12 war quetz over the rim to hit us.  Fortunate for us, they did not know that our fleet of 16 war quetz were there providing cover as I set up 12 stationary guns.  Not 30 seconds after I flipped on the turrets the skies went black and the most intense 15 minutes of my entite gaming life ensued.  We lost none, they lost all (thanks wildcard for the volcano rim memory leak that cost them 4 war quetz).

In the end, the days after the 7 day war ended resulted in a server with 12 people on at peak.  Less when Center came out.  I struggled to maintain the server while also working with my allies to achieve the same environment on The Center.  Finally, it was Wildcard the came in and ended my reign and cause my once great server (now beginning to flourish again) to devolve into anarchy.  With their biome update, my fortress was wiped.  I could not finish what we started on The Center and still maintain The Island.  It was the end of a once great and welcoming server.

Today, this server has all supply beacons blocked off with vaults.  Each obelisk has as many turrets as my mountain base once had.  Newcomers are slaughtered.  A public, official server has become as unplayable as pretty much every PvE server.

If you're still reading, take my story for what it is.  Was it a social experiment?  Shrug.  I can say I learned more about the true nature of people and politics than anywhere in my years of post-grad education and career.  I can say that many of the events that transpired before during and after the war are comparable to many both tragic and inspiring world events.  I just wish everyone could experience the 9 or 10 months of ARK that I experienced.  I think the world would be an all around better place.

On 19/02/2017 at 10:00 PM, OGCookies said:

realize it's a game

worst excuse

On 19/02/2017 at 10:00 PM, OGCookies said:

It's like saying I dressed up as a monster for Halloween so for the rest of the year I hide under people's beds

nope, its like saying you dressed up a monster means you like to dress up... psychology is science, like it or not, it works

Archived