New to ARK, big question

shakusky

New to ARK, big question

So I've been looking for an answer online but can't find one. Basically I want to be able to enjoy this game with just my friends, not random trolls. My question is, is it possible in this game to have a world or whatever with just friends you've invited to the game? And when you get off the game can we continue where we left off or do we always have to start over from scratch? I know there are dedicated servers available but that means a PS4 has to be on just to host the game and not able to be played on. Can we just have our own world that doesn't get wiped when we get offline? 

And in single player are you able to get off then come back to where you left off? 

1 minute ago, Pachycephalosaurus said:

You can only do that if you create your own server(cost money) OR you can have a friend play Ark in your house and you can split screen on singleplayer (Can only be a certain distance away from your friend)

So you have to pay to create a server... How much $$? Does that allow me to still actually play on my PS4 or is that what it means to have a PS4 that creates the server but can't actually play? And if I do pay for a server would I be able to play with just friends or people I specifically invite to the server? And when we're not online our stuff is still there and when we get back online everything is as it was? Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, shakusky said:

New to ARK, big question

So I've been looking for an answer online but can't find one. Basically I want to be able to enjoy this game with just my friends, not random trolls. My question is, is it possible in this game to have a world or whatever with just friends you've invited to the game? And when you get off the game can we continue where we left off or do we always have to start over from scratch? I know there are dedicated servers available but that means a PS4 has to be on just to host the game and not able to be played on. Can we just have our own world that doesn't get wiped when we get offline? 

And in single player are you able to get off then come back to where you left off? 

There are 5 ways you can play Ark:

1. Official Server - includes trolls
  2. Single player - can't play with friends
  3. Non-Dedicated host - can invite friends, limited to a few hundred meters distance from host and world offline when host not around
  4. Non-Official dedicated - requires you to purchase a second console to run the host on
  5. Rented server - only available for PC version currently 

I put those in my personal order of preference, I'm sure others would argue about the ranks ;)

So, you have to pick which you prefer, playing with trolls included, playing in a very tiny space together without persistence, and paying for a used PS4 to serve as a host.

Personally, I play on Xbox. I played a non-dedicated for about 4 days with some friends, realized I would play Ark a ton and picked up a second console and have never looked back, but that depends on how much disposable income you have.

Good luck!

Archived