Breeding Bears

TheFoxington

Breeding Bears

Hello there!

I have begun breeding Dire Bears and have hit a wall. i can only get them to 230 - 235. Every time i catch a new bear its Melee is always the highest stat.  I have caught over 20 (145-150) and this seems ridiculous. Is there something i am missing? Should i try taming lower levels to try to get those special stats like speed, stam, and heath?

Thanks for your time.

Because of the event I have gotten so many bears and only a couple have been getting the good stats. I have been killing the babies that aren't high enough level to make sense. Especially if they have the same or worse stats as the parents. I am now at 35 bears and even got a green mutation. Was hoping for another color since green is the only color mutation I have seen on the net.

I am going to try that Smart Breeding program i have been reading about when i get home. I hope its as good as the reviews say it is.

Here are some other color mutations we've gotten. I haven't seen a green one yet, but if you're on xbox and would be interested in trading...feel free to pm me. 

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ToK Lumberking/screenshot/5777139

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ToK Lumberking/screenshot/5777390

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/ToK Lumberking/screenshot/5777418

EDIT: Can't get the pics embedded but a copy/paste will work.

• 2 months later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I searched and found this as its relevant to my question - Im bumping.

What determines the babies lvls? My direbear was born as a 203 - I believe my tribemates used a 135 and 140 bear and we got twins which were 203's. If I bred the parents again, could I get higher than 203 and if so is there a limit here?

If I then bred the two babies who are both m and f, would this cause an issue - and would the levels of their babies be restricted?

Essentially, what is the highest level I can get with my bred bears? 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Rather than starting a new thread, I searched and found this as its relevant to my question - Im bumping.

What determines the babies lvls? My direbear was born as a 203 - I believe my tribemates used a 135 and 140 bear and we got twins which were 203's. If I bred the parents again, could I get higher than 203 and if so is there a limit here?

If I then bred the two babies who are both m and f, would this cause an issue - and would the levels of their babies be restricted?

Essentially, what is the highest level I can get with my bred bears? 

Thanks

Base stats determine level.

You're going to have to hunt down bears with higher base stats to see a level increase in babies.

If your dire bear was born at 203, you may want to just start from scratch and hunt down more bears. You can breed two random 150's and get a baby that's higher in level. I personally knocked out all bears I found between 135 and 150. I checked their pre-tame stats, and if one of the stats were high or higher than I currently have, I'd tame it and cycle that bear in to my breeding. I personally don't bother taming bears that don't have good pre-tame stats; the randomness of it all doesn't justify taming every bear and hoping the final product is something I want. That's up to you though.

If I remember correctly, the baby takes on the highest stats from each parent, but only with a certain percentage. You can breed the same two bears and end up with a mediocre baby that doesn't take on both parents' stats, or a bear that's taken on all the high stats of both parents. Inbreeding does nothing bad to the babies.

Also, it may be tempting to kill yourself imprinting babies, but don't do it yet. At least don't go out of your way to imprint when you're starting off. Once you get through a couple of generations and your babies are popping out at a high enough level, I'd consider imprinting. Imprinting stats do not transfer during breeding.

Yes, my tribemate imprinted mine to 87% and its lvl 245 with 5kp hp and 550 melee. Its good good carry weight, decent speed of over 250% but was wondering if I should try mating this with her so called brother who has practically the same stats. (they ahd the same stats when they came out as babies too).

I love my bear but was wondering if Im going to get anything better easily?

5 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Yes, my tribemate imprinted mine to 87% and its lvl 245 with 5kp hp and 550 melee. Its good good carry weight, decent speed of over 250% but was wondering if I should try mating this with her so called brother who has practically the same stats. (they ahd the same stats when they came out as babies too).

Just get wyvern ;)

I'm on Prim+ :) I have a 240 Rex and a 261 Sabre but I am generally loving my Bear for caving at the moment. My tribemate just tamed a 150 Spino with over 500% melee at lvl 252 so he is happy gallivanting around on that just now.

I will still look to tame a 150 bear or get a better breed rating and see if I can better my little Bear :)

20 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Easily? Kind of. It'll just take some time to find/tame bears with higher base stats. I wouldn't bother mating that one to be honest; the imprinting stats don't carry over and it's the imprinting bonus that makes those bears seem like they're awesome.

I'd work on starting a new line with bears that have better base stats.

The reason to look for the 150s is because they have more points to spend, but an animal can be lower level and end up stronger by getting better stat rolls from the rng. Depending on the animal I'll usually hunt for 135-150s. I don't always go by the wild pre-tame rolls though. Best melee I've ever seen on a tame was from one with horrendous pre-tame stat rolls. But I agree that unless you're just starting out on a project, it's probably not worth the time and resources to do this with most animals. I usually make exceptions for cheap tames or rare spawns that are already hard to find at a good level, like spinos.

Archived