Ascendant Lag

Wykkyd

So more content, more events, and yet more lag...

on server 327 the lag is so nad we can barely move and it is across all players. no matter the version of windows no matter the connection speed or backbone routing.

go to check out other servers its the same thing..BUT go to a rented server runs fine.

its bad enough the game is riddled with bugs that a competent studio would have dealt with first couple month...basic geographical and animated model collision boundaries....but nope still you walk into a tree you are stuck on that tree, Still you look through a spyglass while mounted you fall through your mount...your sea mount could just die if it brushes up against shore or a rock.
Dinos fall into the games surface all the time since day one. Heck I might log in today and find the doors on my base all gone or all my dinos on wander and aggressive...

The point is...this is NOT an alpha release you have been out couple years now had paid events and actually taken money for additional content . YOU ARE NOT ALPHA - you are release, this is gold mionute you sold additional DLC. AND the moment you decided that every trouble support ticket was going to recieve the same blanket email abnd no help whatsoever you just became a company that just plain doesn't care about your fan base.

Now i am sure I will get a bunch of trolls saying this that and the other thing but think about this...vif you allow anyone car dealer, friend or game studio to treat you in this manner and supply such a shoddy product...you get what you deserve.

Plain and simple, it's the host company they are using.    We have no way of knowing if WC has some sort of contractual agreement with them, which is why they are still using them or not.    I used to rent a server through nitrado a long time ago, and quit using them as I had a whole large selection of issues.   

Im now using Survival Servers and have had nothing but good success with running my server, performance wise.

As for your comment of "release", they have not released the game at all, and are still in EA.  There have been games that have been in EA for longer, and have been dropped from the program.  Hell, there are even EA games that release paid DLC's to help fund the development.    We should be thankful they are still working on the game.   They are still adding content, hence alpha.   Hopefully soon, as from the patch notes, and unreleased dossiers, there are not a whole lot left to add, then they advance to "beta" to do the main optimizing and bug fixing.    To start fixing bugs when there s still content to add will get them no where, but repetitive bugs they have to fix yet again.   

I know it's frustrating, but I've got well over 1500 hours in, I've been through some major issues, have watched work and progress vanish from the bugs.   I work a 40+ hour a week job, 2 kids, and yet I'm still here enjoying the ride.    You've just got to bear with it, and as much as I know unofficials for some reason scare everyone, go play on one of those for the time being if the lag is too crazy, until you know issues are fixed, or go take a break and cool down.    

Regardless, raging on the forums won't do it any justice at all.   Provide constructive details to the issues in a ticket, by providing times you were online, amount of players, etc.    It could simply be that the server node some servers are sharing are getting overloaded at the same time, and simply providing that information will help them pass it along to Nitrado so maybe they spread out the hardware resources better.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you choose!

15 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Plain and simple, it's the host company they are using.    We have no way of knowing if WC has some sort of contractual agreement with them, which is why they are still using them or not.    I used to rent a server through nitrado a long time ago, and quit using them as I had a whole large selection of issues.   

Im now using Survival Servers and have had nothing but good success with running my server, performance wise.

As for your comment of "release", they have not released the game at all, and are still in EA.  There have been games that have been in EA for longer, and have been dropped from the program.  Hell, there are even EA games that release paid DLC's to help fund the development.    We should be thankful they are still working on the game.   They are still adding content, hence alpha.   Hopefully soon, as from the patch notes, and unreleased dossiers, there are not a whole lot left to add, then they advance to "beta" to do the main optimizing and bug fixing.    To start fixing bugs when there s still content to add will get them no where, but repetitive bugs they have to fix yet again.   

I know it's frustrating, but I've got well over 1500 hours in, I've been through some major issues, have watched work and progress vanish from the bugs.   I work a 40+ hour a week job, 2 kids, and yet I'm still here enjoying the ride.    You've just got to bear with it, and as much as I know unofficials for some reason scare everyone, go play on one of those for the time being if the lag is too crazy, until you know issues are fixed, or go take a break and cool down.    

Regardless, raging on the forums won't do it any justice at all.   Provide constructive details to the issues in a ticket, by providing times you were online, amount of players, etc.    It could simply be that the server node some servers are sharing are getting overloaded at the same time, and simply providing that information will help them pass it along to Nitrado so maybe they spread out the hardware resources better.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in whichever path you choose!

I agree with you, you make some excellent points, regarding the OP this is *mainly* nitrados fault, however those bugs *can* be caused by coding.

That's a lot of wild stuff you're writing. I know that you can clip into a tree because of lag, and that sea tames occasionaly strand themself, but damn,

1 hour ago, Wykkyd said:

Still you look through a spyglass while mounted you fall through your mount.
Dinos fall into the games surface all the time since day one. Heck I might log in today and find the doors on my base all gone or all my dinos on wander and aggressive...

That's something new and it sounds so unreal and straightout exaggregarted. Especially the part that Dinos wall through the ground ALL THE TIME.

I'm also really curious about how your dinos change from stationary and neutral/passive to wandering and aggressive? Are you able to explain this?

I'm not gonna say much about the Alpha argument, since you're wrong and just gonna link you this:

And this about your argument that Ark is out for a couple of years:

In regards of the DLC argument I repeat what I already said. They released it because they did lose a lawsuit for around 40 Millions USD and needed the money to further develop the game. (If that's not right, can you correct me please @ThzNutz ?)

I tell you this much now. I have logged in multiple times to find dinos that were previously on passive changed to attacking target. I always assumed it was a tribemate doing an accidental whistle. Until the day I was playing, parked a beaver from a wood run that was on passive, got the five minute notification, unloaded the beaver, logged, server updated, logged back in to see the beaver sprinting away to attack a pelagornis. After I ran it down, it was on attacking target. No idea why it ran down a pelagornis, as pelagornis did nothing to it. But. Now we recheck our dinos after updates to make sure the previously passive gallimimus does not decide to sprint into the ocean to attack a passing megalodon. Yes. This does happen. And it is annoying.

10 minutes ago, Layton said:

I tell you this much now. I have logged in multiple times to find dinos that were previously on passive changed to attacking target. I always assumed it was a tribemate doing an accidental whistle. Until the day I was playing, parked a beaver from a wood run that was on passive, got the five minute notification, unloaded the beaver, logged, server updated, logged back in to see the beaver sprinting away to attack a pelagornis. After I ran it down, it was on attacking target. No idea why it ran down a pelagornis, as pelagornis did nothing to it. But. Now we recheck our dinos after updates to make sure the previously passive gallimimus does not decide to sprint into the ocean to attack a passing megalodon. Yes. This does happen. And it is annoying.

I see that you stated passive, updated the server, and then it was n aggressive.    Did by some chance you have it on neutral, or aggressive while you were out using it?    Simply put, there could be a possibility you were rolled back to just before you put it on passive.

But I won't dismiss what you have said, as I've stated above the amount of time I have invested in the game, and the bugs I've played through and seen.   Lol.   Anything can really happen in any game.

Not a freaking chance. There are select dinos that are on neutral. And select ones on aggressive. And then there are dinos that are always on passive. When your egg laying level 38 rex that has not moved in months decides to go jump in the ocean to chase a manta and you are the only player in your tribe online, it A. Your fault. B. Game developers fault for changing the setting. And the passive dinos for egg laying are locked to ignore whistles. So. Your move WC.

7 minutes ago, Layton said:

Not a freaking chance. There are select dinos that are on neutral. And select ones on aggressive. And then there are dinos that are always on passive. When your egg laying level 38 rex that has not moved in months decides to go jump in the ocean to chase a manta and you are the only player in your tribe online, it A. Your fault. B. Game developers fault for changing the setting. And the passive dinos for egg laying are locked to ignore whistles. So. Your move WC.

When did they change the settings for that?   I don't recall seeing in the patch notes or anything related to them having an issue where they caused the dinosaurs to go on an aggressive rampage.     I mean I know they adjust settings and we are given a heads up when that happens via the patch notes. 

Edit:  Sorry, apparently my computer decided to post it when I wasn't done typing.   I'm sure I could have easily missed the part in a patch note.   I'm not perfect.   I'm just curious is all.

2 hours ago, Layton said:

That is what we are saying. They did not announce it. It is a bug that they will not acknowledge. Bug. Continuously happens after every server update. Random dinos change their settings. Sometimes a lot of them do. And it has gotten very old! Instead of fixing stupid bugs , we get new hairstyles.

Someone said here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/535151589891127633/ that Dinos go on neutral if everyone logs off. I don't know how credible this is though.

Maybe so. This I know though. Passive egg layers with ignore all whistles enabled are changing their settings after updates. So either a gremlin runs around and changes all of their settings during an update, or the GMs are gonna delete this post to prevent more people from realizing another issue that is being ignored in favor of hairstyles and blowing kisses emotes.

27 minutes ago, Layton said:

Maybe so. This I know though. Passive egg layers with ignore all whistles enabled are changing their settings after updates. So either a gremlin runs around and changes all of their settings during an update, or the GMs are gonna delete this post to prevent more people from realizing another issue that is being ignored in favor of hairstyles and blowing kisses emotes.

Well that's stupid to blame an event for not fixing issues. You know, there are different people who work on different things. People who do content don't do bug fixing like graphic artists don't do coding.

2 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Well that's stupid to blame an event for not fixing issues. You know, there are different people who work on different things. People who do content don't do bug fixing like graphic artists don't do coding.

Still, you need developers to integrate the content made by the designers for these events....

I'm sorry, are we discussing whether they need to spend more money on fixing content they already have versus creating new content that may or may not have bugs?

if you hire 10 graphic designers to create new content, or keep them on staff instead of fixing problems by hiring new coders or paying them more to fix existing problems, which is more desirable? I am far more furious at losing a high level dino to poof than whether or not I can blow kisses at people. Seriously, new content should take a backseat to fixing existing glitches rather than creating a new in game pose that no one cares about. It takes five minutes to adjust rates and create an event for people. Less, if the event has been already created and used a year ago. Fix the issues that have been present for a year and a half. Spend your money there. Not on creating new silly poses.

19 minutes ago, Layton said:

I'm sorry, are we discussing whether they need to spend more money on fixing content they already have versus creating new content that may or may not have bugs?

if you hire 10 graphic designers to create new content, or keep them on staff instead of fixing problems by hiring new coders or paying them more to fix existing problems, which is more desirable? I am far more furious at losing a high level dino to poof than whether or not I can blow kisses at people. Seriously, new content should take a backseat to fixing existing glitches rather than creating a new in game pose that no one cares about. It takes five minutes to adjust rates and create an event for people. Less, if the event has been already created and used a year ago. Fix the issues that have been present for a year and a half. Spend your money there. Not on creating new silly poses.

Well that's just your opinion.

@Morf My argument was geared towards the fact that every dev studio that isn't 1 or 2 guys has people for different things. Graphic designers, coders, PR, support workers and so on. And saying that noone works on something because the whole dev studio is supposedly working on something different is pretty ignorant.

I did not say no one. You just did. I said why hire new, or pay existing people. I said they wasted money on new things when they should be paying attention to existing problems. Not creating possible new ones. Or wasting a finite resource to create an unlikely new resource. Do you think anyone bought this game just to blow kisses at people or have an Elvis haircut?

1 minute ago, Layton said:

I did not say no one. You just did. I said why hire new, or pay existing people. I said they wasted money on new things when they should be paying attention to existing problems. Not creating possible new ones. Or wasting a finite resource to create an unlikely new resource. Do you think anyone bought this game just to blow kisses at people or have an Elvis haircut?

I don't really disagree with anything you've said, WC can, should, and needs to do better at not breaking the poop out things with updates. I also think a little progress on a lot of these long standing bugs would do a lot to reassure players the game is moving in the right direction.

The one thing I'll add is that good help is soooo hard to find, so if the issue is not having enough of a certain type of talent, it's not a quick fix. In my experience this is especially true when it comes to coders; it's not so much "are there good coders out there?" its "are there good coders out there, than can assimilate the work that's been done, that can fit in with the current team/program, and that can fit in with the budget even if we cut some designers?" If that's part of what's going on, it's still WC responsibility to fix, but I've seen recruitment cycles for the right person take longer than the game's been out.

Still a bummer, but if it's a staffing issue it can be fixed eventually.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

That's a lot of wild stuff you're writing. I know that you can clip into a tree because of lag, and that sea tames occasionaly strand themself, but damn,

That's something new and it sounds so unreal and straightout exaggregarted. Especially the part that Dinos wall through the ground ALL THE TIME.

I'm also really curious about how your dinos change from stationary and neutral/passive to wandering and aggressive? Are you able to explain this?

I'm not gonna say much about the Alpha argument, since you're wrong and just gonna link you this:

And this about your argument that Ark is out for a couple of years:

In regards of the DLC argument I repeat what I already said. They released it because they did lose a lawsuit for around 40 Millions USD and needed the money to further develop the game. (If that's not right, can you correct me please @ThzNutz ?)

Besides the whole lawsuit theory (which is honestly conjecture based on reasonably sound logic as opposed to being grounded in fact), everything is fairly spot on. As an added note, despite people's protests, ARK is not the first game in Early Access to ever sell DLC. People just gloss over the others that do so due to the nature of what DLC ARK is selling. Others make use of DLC sales by selling you a digital artbook, or a soundtrack, the latter of which I personally find rather dishonest as they are milking you to buy content you already got when you bought the main game. ARK sells you DLC containing content you never had in the main game.

4 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

I don't really disagree with anything you've said, WC can, should, and needs to do better at not breaking the poop out things with updates. I also think a little progress on a lot of these long standing bugs would do a lot to reassure players the game is moving in the right direction.

The one thing I'll add is that good help is soooo hard to find, so if the issue is not having enough of a certain type of talent, it's not a quick fix. In my experience this is especially true when it comes to coders; it's not so much "are there good coders out there?" its "are there good coders out there, than can assimilate the work that's been done, that can fit in with the current team/program, and that can fit in with the budget even if we cut some designers?" If that's part of what's going on, it's still WC responsibility to fix, but I've seen recruitment cycles for the right person take longer than the game's been out.

Still a bummer, but if it's a staffing issue it can be fixed eventually.

Correct. Wildcard has a standing job request open on their website. Here's the thing. Issues on The center are persistent and continuous. Reason? Ben Burkhart was too busy working on a new SOTF map. At WC direction. So, instead of fixing issues on the map WC adopted, they set him to creating new content to lure more people into buying the game. Instead of fixing issues already present on the map WC decided to adopt. That is consistent with their policy, lure in more buyers to play, instead of honoring the people who purchased the game already. Ben had to open a thread on Reddit just to get an idea of the problems Center players were having just to take his off time to address them because WC gave him no time or support on the map they paid him for.

3 hours ago, Layton said:

Correct. Wildcard has a standing job request open on their website. Here's the thing. Issues on The center are persistent and continuous. Reason? Ben Burkhart was too busy working on a new SOTF map. At WC direction. So, instead of fixing issues on the map WC adopted, they set him to creating new content to lure more people into buying the game. Instead of fixing issues already present on the map WC decided to adopt. That is consistent with their policy, lure in more buyers to play, instead of honoring the people who purchased the game already. Ben had to open a thread on Reddit just to get an idea of the problems Center players were having just to take his off time to address them because WC gave him no time or support on the map they paid him for.

Annnd development of SOTF was put on hold in the end. Neither we have good SOTF map nor working The Center map. All in all working on SOTF was really wrong decision that wasted a lot of their resources.

6 hours ago, Layton said:

Well, let's look at it this way.   It's no different from cedric with primitive plus.   You complain about them having a job post open, but how do you know they are not trying to hire a few more people for the coding part, in order to assist on the current issues.   So rather than pull people from the jobs they are already assigned, and sending them to help with the center map, they could be hiring help for Ben.   We just have to wait and see.   I'm sure Cedric and Ben knew what they were getting into when they accepted the job.

Again, rather than bashing WC over every little thing, I will put it this way.   We payed way less than what we could have for a game that is actually working (Before you go on, I said working, and not a released, bug free finished product).  Bugs are part of a game in development, and again yes they are reoccurring bugs, but you know what, they have fixed certain bugs because everyone whines about them, and what do you expect when they still have to add content in the same lines of code, only to have the bug come back in some other way.   Until the content is completely in, and they are done adding to the code, can they finally get the lines of code finalized, and bug free.   Which they are doing, by if you look at the size of the patches and the content, we are starting to get more and more each patch.

Ive learned from my 1500+ hours, don't get attached to my stuff.  

11 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Well that's just your opinion.

@Morf My argument was geared towards the fact that every dev studio that isn't 1 or 2 guys has people for different things. Graphic designers, coders, PR, support workers and so on. And saying that noone works on something because the whole dev studio is supposedly working on something different is pretty ignorant.

Well you just called a project manager & lead developer ignorant buddy.
Who will they design poop for once most of the dedicated players are gone?
I agree on the fact they can't tell the designer, hey you go and slack now, BUT instead of asking them to work on some non-necessary content (beards, haircut etc...)
How about they optimize some of the in-game items already existing? Optimization wise, this game is poop man really, for a game which is using Unreal engine...it's garbage.
If you look at the features they were planning to add MONTHS if not a year ago, they keep on assigning devs to content noone gives a flying raptor.
If players were asked to, how many do you think would vote for some bug fixing vs new content?

Right now, the only questions their project managers should have in mind are :

How do we stop the hemorrhage?
What do we need for the player base to stop bitching about our game being sloppy?

Tell me, how much FPS do you have in your base?
What's the latency on your server?

Compare these data to other games released at about the same date and let me know.
I'll give you few numbers with a computer way above average config :

In base FPS : 8.
Ping (with / without optic fiber) : 200 / 250

DILO man, it's 2017 hello...we don't play pacman anymore...

Archived