How are you dedicated server hosts keeping your mods updated

JamesIsSoPro

Hi, I host a few servers off my personal server in my home running Ubuntu server and the server runs great. I made myself a few scripts to start, stop, and update all 3 servers, but I have decided I want to add Structures + to my servers. I have gotten steam to download the mods for Ark but it seems the mods need to be unpacked in some way, is there an easy way to go about doing this that I can't seem to find? I'm looking for something I can incorporate into my scripts so I don't have to launch ark client single player and copy files over every time there is an update.

Hi, I use arkmanager on Ubuntu.

https://github.com/FezVrasta/ark-server-tools

Combined with some shell scripts run via cron it is a set and forget system.  I have it making backups every 3 hours, checking for updates every 30 minutes,  Saving ever 15 mins.  

It handles installing new mods for me with a simply config change and command line to install "arkmanager installmod *****"  where the **** are the mod id.

Get it and you won't look back.

16 hours ago, JamesIsSoPro said:

Hi, I host a few servers off my personal server in my home running Ubuntu server and the server runs great. I made myself a few scripts to start, stop, and update all 3 servers, but I have decided I want to add Structures + to my servers. I have gotten steam to download the mods for Ark but it seems the mods need to be unpacked in some way, is there an easy way to go about doing this that I can't seem to find? I'm looking for something I can incorporate into my scripts so I don't have to launch ark client single player and copy files over every time there is an update.

Simply run the server with  -automanagedmods. So the server updates the mods itself when your starting it.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no official possibility to check if a mod update is available (Because no version info for mods in steamcmd). You have to create a script yourself which opens the mod page in steam (wget, curl... something like that), and searches for the "last updated" date in the code.  Compare this date with the "last changed" date of your folder, then you know if there is an update and you can restart your server.

Some admins are reporting problems with -automanagedmods (Problems with large mods). I personally do not have any of this issues. I'm using very large mods too and all is working fine.

That's why I use ArkManager, it can do a check for new or updated mods.  How it does this is it downloads all the mods the server is running and compares them for changes.  

It can be configured to just download them, or if you wish to stop and install updates and re-start the server if there are changes.  As  I said above I run mine via cron on a 30 minute cycle, so the server is nearly always updated and if it isn't there it is only a few minutes away.  

The way things are described above with the  -automanagedmods option it sounds like the server needs to be restated to check for new mods?  So that explains why I see admins saying there server starts twice a day and so on.  That's a poor solution.  What happens if there are no new mods?  stops anyway.  What happens if a mod is updated 2 hours after the start, players need to wait 10 hours for the next start.  a poor solution.

Arkmanager can act as a watchdog and re-start the server if it crashes.  It really is a great tool for linux admins.

It is very flexible, and it is somewhat of a mission to reinvent the wheel that a manager is with our own scripts.   

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:23 AM, Toni said:

Simply run the server with  -automanagedmods. So the server updates the mods itself when your starting it.

Unfortunately at the moment there is no official possibility to check if a mod update is available (Because no version info for mods in steamcmd). You have to create a script yourself which opens the mod page in steam (wget, curl... something like that), and searches for the "last updated" date in the code.  Compare this date with the "last changed" date of your folder, then you know if there is an update and you can restart your server.

Some admins are reporting problems with -automanagedmods (Problems with large mods). I personally do not have any of this issues. I'm using very large mods too and all is working fine.

Adding that completely prevents the servers from starting, at all. not sure what I am doing wrong. I am typing it exactly as you said "-automanagedmods", any advice? its structures plus is the mod I am using.

4 hours ago, JamesIsSoPro said:

Adding that completely prevents the servers from starting, at all. not sure what I am doing wrong. I am typing it exactly as you said "-automanagedmods", any advice? its structures plus is the mod I am using.

GameUserSettings.ini

ActiveMods=ModNr1, ModNr2, ModNr3

If you do not have this, your server doesn't know which mods should be updated.

On 16.2.2017 at 10:23 AM, Toni said:

You have to create a script yourself which opens the mod page in steam (wget, curl... something like that), and searches for the "last updated" date in the code.  Compare this date with the "last changed" date of your folder, then you know if there is an update and you can restart your server.

If you periodically just download all your Mods via SteamCMD. Let's say every 15min or so, then you can get the Updatetime from:

/path/to/steamcmd/steamapps/workshop/appworkshop_346110.acf

11 hours ago, JamesIsSoPro said:

Also, if I am running three instances with the same source, should I add -automanagedmods to all 3 Launch commands or just one?

I've set it this way and it works:

ActiveMods=ModNr1, ModNr2, ModNr3

I don't know if there are other working ways to do it.

If you have running multiple instances of the same source, then you only add - automanagedmods to the first one and add a timer for the other ones.  Large mods can take up to 2 - 3 minutes to update. So i recommend you to have a timeout of 2-3 minutes before the 2nd server starts.

On 2/20/2017 at 9:53 AM, joebywan said:

How's arkmanager acting as a watchdog and restarting on crash?

Ark manager starts the server, and watches the pid.  No pid = crashed, unless of course ark manager was used to stop the server in which case it know that too.

This other method of starting and stopping the server just incase there has been an update seems clunky. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived