Benefits of an enclosed "Hatchery"

EronCam

I have been watching from afar and now I want to build my own hatchery to raise baby dinos. I have seen a few youtube videos, but I haven't been able to find one that captures my idea to design something wide open. I figure with enough AC units underneath a platform, I should then be able to achieve the appropriate environment to hatch the egg on top of it. My reasoning for this is so that I could, in theory, raise any size dino and not be limited by width or height of the building. Does anyone see a flaw in my idea? I want to know what designs have proven to be the most efficient to hatch and then raise babies. I'd like to build it once if all possible haha

Thank you for your suggestions and help!

The problem I have personally run into with open breeding in a base area is that when the baby appears it needs to be claimed. If you have turrets or Plant X close by they can kill it in the 1 second that you think "oh it's so cute" and before you can click to claim. Same with other dinos that are not on passive. We lose a few babies each time someone else in our tribe tries out breeding for the first or second time. 

So if you do an open platform I would be careful of the hatch phase of breeding. I personally like the idea of hatching outside like that but I always hatch the baby in an enclosed room then lead them outside to raise. Once you have claimed them, your own base is not a hostile environment and a nice place to do it.

25 minutes ago, Jonopeo said:

I think you do run risks of people stealing your eggs if you're not constantly watching them, also, you'll have to have some protection against wildlife.

Ultimately you need a place where you and the baby will be safe because you're both going to spend a long time together there :egg:

I was worried about this at first. I think with it being my first time, I will probably be so excited that I won't leave it alone haha

13 minutes ago, Adelaar0355 said:

The problem I have personally run into with open breeding in a base area is that when the baby appears it needs to be claimed. If you have turrets or Plant X close by they can kill it in the 1 second that you think "oh it's so cute" and before you can click to claim. Same with other dinos that are not on passive. We lose a few babies each time someone else in our tribe tries out breeding for the first or second time. 

So if you do an open platform I would be careful of the hatch phase of breeding. I personally like the idea of hatching outside like that but I always hatch the baby in an enclosed room then lead them outside to raise. Once you have claimed them, your own base is not a hostile environment and a nice place to do it.

I never thought about that! I could imagine this getting frustrating quickly! I will have to make sure and keep my dinos on passive while hatching at least.Thank you :P

11 minutes ago, EronCam said:

I was worried about this at first. I think with it being my first time, I will probably be so excited that I won't leave it alone haha

I hope you enjoy! Breeding is super Cool and makes you a lot stronger :D! Just buy in some redbulls and put some movies on. 

On a side note. Preparing is also key for breeding / raising. Have a few fridges of meat ready to last you an hour or two because they're typically the roughest parts. After 10% in (Juev stage) you can use troughs and take a nap :D!

37 minutes ago, EronCam said:

I have been watching from afar and now I want to build my own hatchery to raise baby dinos. I have seen a few youtube videos, but I haven't been able to find one that captures my idea to design something wide open. I figure with enough AC units underneath a platform, I should then be able to achieve the appropriate environment to hatch the egg on top of it. My reasoning for this is so that I could, in theory, raise any size dino and not be limited by width or height of the building. Does anyone see a flaw in my idea? I want to know what designs have proven to be the most efficient to hatch and then raise babies. I'd like to build it once if all possible haha

So we just started raising our own babies a few weeks ago and I'll say it was WAY easier than it seems.  First we created a small area in an old base where we've converted it into a brewery for the other tribes in the server. It's pretty awesome and thought it would be fun to have a breeding area down below out of site of everyones eyes. Bad idea!  I'm going to guess we either have very bad luck, or someone who is in our chain of allied tribes isn't what they seem. While we logged out to take a break someone broke in, stole our stuff and took all the meat out of the feeding trough so our baby pteri died. Not cool.  So our next station was a small building near our main base surrounded by our metal dino gates.  We have used that one since and it works perfect.  We added a dino gate to the side to go in and out with the new baby for things like taking walks which they sometimes ask to do durinig imprinting.  It's up north in the cold so we added 7 air conditioners in a C shape, 5 along the back and one on each side.  We then added a refrigerator and put it off to the right to store all the food we will need before we begin.  Then just lay the egg down in the middle of the air conditioners and set a timer for the known time for incubation.  Once the baby hatches have food in your inventory and you'll be able to just reach into the fridge and grab more as needed.  As the baby growns you can either leave it in the room depending on the size, or you can move it outside.  Now with the V-day event going on would be a great time to raise a baby!

16 hours ago, Adelaar0355 said:

On an official PVE server with turrets set to "Wild Only", they will NOT shoot unclaimed babies, either from eggs or mammals.  Our hatching area has multiple turrets setup because of random allo spawns and they have never fired a single shot at a baby.  

When building a breeding base/hatchery there are some things to consider

1) It should NOT be in your main base, babies eat way less in stasis, they should be rendered the minimum time possible, so only when you feed or imprint. Build a breeding base far off where people usually wander around.

2) Dont open Eggs on foundations, if the foundations are not rendered the moment the baby hatches they will fall into the foundations making it impossible to claim them without destroying them. So either hatch on solid ground or on ceilings where you can get below.

3) Turrets/Plants will shoot your babies, set turrets in the hatch area to players only to avoid that

4) It is actually better to place the AC Units above than below. Putting them 2 walls high above ground will still provide enough insulation for the eggs to hatch below them.

5) Make sure you have enough indoor room for the babies, they need a lot of space to walk for imprinting, especially when they grow. I think something along 20x20 foundations would be desireable if you want to do big dinos (gigas, brontos, rexes ...)

6) Make sure you have plenty of fridges to store meat/berries. Also place a lot of Industrial Grills to make sure you can cook meat there directly.

hope it helps

You don't want a wide open area for breeding if you ever intend to hatch multiple things at once, like if you mate 1 male mammal with multiple females at the same time. The babies will come simultaneously and immediately start wandering around, which can cause their deaths in a number of ways (starving before you can feed them, getting lost, getting killed, etc). Even worse if you do so with a dino species that can fall through a floor. Baby sheep can be born through the world, so you can't put the mother on foundations or bare ground. When you put them on a ceiling, 50% of the time the kid will be born on the ceiling and 50% of the time it will be born under it, so if you have multiples you're gonna be scrambling to claim them before they all run away and die.

8 hours ago, sal said:

When building a breeding base/hatchery there are some things to consider

1) It should NOT be in your main base, babies eat way less in stasis, they should be rendered the minimum time possible, so only when you feed or imprint. Build a breeding base far off where people usually wander around.

2) Dont open Eggs on foundations, if the foundations are not rendered the moment the baby hatches they will fall into the foundations making it impossible to claim them without destroying them. So either hatch on solid ground or on ceilings where you can get below.

3) Turrets/Plants will shoot your babies, set turrets in the hatch area to players only to avoid that

4) It is actually better to place the AC Units above than below. Putting them 2 walls high above ground will still provide enough insulation for the eggs to hatch below them.

5) Make sure you have enough indoor room for the babies, they need a lot of space to walk for imprinting, especially when they grow. I think something along 20x20 foundations would be desireable if you want to do big dinos (gigas, brontos, rexes ...)

6) Make sure you have plenty of fridges to store meat/berries. Also place a lot of Industrial Grills to make sure you can cook meat there directly.

hope it helps

You say we should put the ac units above, but why is that better? 

Wow, I knew there was a lot to consider when creating a hatchery, but I never thought of all this lol. So far I've gathered that the biggest things to be concerned with are egg thieves, the babies falling through the floor or getting killed by wandering away, space for walking, and having enough storage for food. I have been preparing my build with a simple wooden design and have yet to drop all the ac units/fridges/troughs thankfully. After all the suggestions I am going to change my build to have the egg hatch on the ground with the ac units suspended overhead. It seems to make the most sense to have it enclosed, for all purposes included (containment / protection from all sources). 

On 2/16/2017 at 6:03 AM, sal said:

1) It should NOT be in your main base, babies eat way less in stasis, they should be rendered the minimum time possible, so only when you feed or imprint. Build a breeding base far off where people usually wander around

Would you mind elaborating some more on this point? I have considered expanding to another area on the map, would you say this is a good opportunity to do so?

On 2017-02-15 at 5:29 PM, EronCam said:

we have a hatcheries where we have one cornervous with a cage for incubating. just so none can come in and steal valuable eggs. and the hatchery itself is about 25×15 so we can breed whatever we want. problem is that if u Hatch to much it gets crowded. atm we have 12 wyverns in there in one go so a bit crowded but still able to move there. ;)

flaws in our building is that it's in our main Base which makes our dinos never going into stasis. 

Archived