Anyone having issues taming a Chalicotherium?

Melcreif

• Volunteer Moderator

Yup, on my Center server I have attempted to tame 3 different Chalicos and each and every time it takes the first beer and never wants the next one. I left it 2 mins (meant to be 1m20s intervals), then I left it 5 mins, 10 mins, 20 mins and every time I go back to it, it doesn't want the next one. I have given up on taming Chalicos, if it can't manage more than one beer then it is a lightweight!

Just now, Captnmorgan said:

Since he took another after 10 minutes I'd say probably not. It may have been some lag or something that took longer. Last night a lot of issues on PS4 network. So if you were on that I know for sure it was network issues. 

Sorry no he took 2 pretty quick, but after that about 10 minutes went by and he wouldn't take a 3rd.  Then of course the Allo came by for lunch. Not sure what the deal was but I'm on Xbox not PS4.  Annoying I really want one!

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Melcreif said:

Sorry no he took 2 pretty quick, but after that about 10 minutes went by and he wouldn't take a 3rd.  Then of course the Allo came by for lunch. Not sure what the deal was but I'm on Xbox not PS4.  Annoying I really want one!

yeah sorry I thought it may have been that while I was typing gamer told us there was a problem. When I saw it was a acutual problem I edited.. sorry lol

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Jostabeere said:

Always cage non-violent tames if you can. It makes it much less frustrating.

Non violent? Have you approached a Chalico? They go mental if you get too close. Putting it in a restricted area is a bad idea as it is likely to turn at any moment.

By the way, to the OP, although i've failed to tame a Chalico on 3 different occasions on my server, someone else on my server has tamed at least 2, one male and one female without any problems. So not quite sure what is causing the issue.

1 minute ago, GamerPerfection said:

Non violent? Have you approached a Chalico? They go mental if you get too close. Putting it in a restricted area is a bad idea as it is likely to turn at any moment.

By the way, to the OP, although i've failed to tame a Chalico on 3 different occasions on my server, someone else on my server has tamed at least 2, one male and one female without any problems. So not quite sure what is causing the issue.

That's annoying. I was wearing ghillie so I never had any issues agroing him. I actually ended up agroing him on purpose at one point because someone else I read had recommended it to get him out of his I'm not hungry phase. didn't seem to work...

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

That's annoying. I was wearing ghillie so I never had any issues agroing him. I actually ended up agroing him on purpose at one point because someone else I read had recommended it to get him out of his I'm not hungry phase. didn't seem to work...

I considered trying that myself, but agroing him, even if it worked, would cause the efficiency to drop wouldn't it?

26 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

I have given up on taming Chalicos, if it can't manage more than one beer then it is a lightweight!

This made me laugh! :D I can confirm that it is totally bugged. I couldn't feed some as well, if you tell them to sit down, they'll stand up after 5 seconds, I brought one for taming to the eastern shore because it's safe and it went totally stupid. It moved with the speed of a turtle, didn't aggro on me and kept on walking into the same tree for the whole taming process - so yeah, this was the only 150 I managed to tame.

49 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

I have only tamed 2 Chalicos yet. One was 116 and other 145. Both times I picked one up with a Quetz and dropped it into a small stone pen. Then sneaked up and build thatch walls so he is stuck in a corner. Then you either break one wall to get LoS or you feed it through the thatch wall. If it aggroes, you fly out of render distance and wait for a minute.

Okay, firstly, passive tames are buggy af. But they're here to stay so trapping them like said above is the Best way to make them less frustrating.

Second, when taming a chalico, make sure to clear a 2 mile radius around. Aggros on wild dinos on the first few bites will reset progress so grab a sword and kill them dilos. After that always be 2steps infront of it making sure nothing is in the way. 

Third, while taming my chalico, it aggroed my Argy due to a distraction, and it didn't lose any effectiveness. So I guess you could aggro once or twice a and be fine. 

Lastly, I've had a Diplo not take food for more than 20m.. Sometimes it bugs out. Left him, went around looking for other dinos, came back after 30m and tame went as normal. So my advice is, if it's a good lvl and you really want it, stick with it. If not try another. 

I tame mine by agroing them, luring them into a taming pin then putting ceilings 2 walls up (leave gap to access Chalico) or hatch frame, them fly out of render distance to loose agro. Come back, crawl along ceiling above (2 walls high) and tame. Keeps both of us safe and he won't agro when I'm crawling above him. Had one instance where I caught 2 in the trap at once so had to build a wall between them, tamed one let him out of pen then tamed the other. I put a doorway at the 2 wall height to outside of the pin, then a platform with ladder access, and place a box to hold the beer since I can't carry enough to tame a 150 at once.

I use the same pin to take wolves and rex's. After taming the chalicos I just destroy the ceilings. Then put extra ceilings in the box in case I find another one.

1 hour ago, JetJaguar said:

ive got 3x of them; all 145 tames on an official PVE server. I used the ghillie suit and the stew that makes you semi-invis. They take the first beer and then it takes ages for the second one. They are a tediously long tame but I don't think they are bugged per say.

Interesting it was the 3rd beer that never came up for me.  I was able to get the first 2 down without much issue...

Archived