Therizinosaurus worth the time to tame one?

Melcreif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Argleksander said:

It's insanely good. I might be wrong here, but i've seen several people claim they are on par with a rex in straight up melee combat and gathers mats like nothing else.

Only downside is the long tame and the fact that they get encumbered right away if fighting near trees

Yup, they're on par with the Rex because they attack faster. And: to avoid getting encumbered in combat, just disable resource harvesting on the Therizino. ;) One downside is definately the slow running speed. One big bonus is that nearly nothing attacks you when mounted - as far as I remember only Rexes, other Therizinos, Spinos, Gigas, Allos and Carnos (?). The bugs ignore you even you kill some of their buddies right in front of them! :D 

8 hours ago, Argleksander said:

It's insanely good. I might be wrong here, but i've seen several people claim they are on par with a rex in straight up melee combat and gathers mats like nothing else.

Only downside is the long tame and the fact that they get encumbered right away if fighting near trees

4 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

Yup, they're on par with the Rex because they attack faster. And: to avoid getting encumbered in combat, just disable resource harvesting on the Therizino. ;) One downside is definately the slow running speed. One big bonus is that nearly nothing attacks you when mounted - as far as I remember only Rexes, other Therizinos, Spinos, Gigas, Allos and Carnos (?). The bugs ignore you even you kill some of their buddies right in front of them! :D 

I do have to point out, The real downside is not the harvesting trees around you Like DomiDarko said . The last patch gives you the availability to turn off harvesting,

The real issue is it is a herbivore. So even though it collects meat, It's main source to gain back health is berries, and that is a slow process, Now you can argue that you can use veggie cakes, but they weigh a lot and they are pricey to make. also if you run out, you are SOL. Don't get me wrong, I love my Therizino, but nothing simplifies things like being able to kill a couple of dodo's or dilo's or water bug/oil bug (on scorched) that are almost endless in the game  to regain your health back quick like a carnivore.

I only meat run on my therizino nowadays :P brontos aren't a huge priority anymore because I gather so much meat off of everything else! I just take a weight quetz on follow + fridges on its back so I can inventory cap + fridge cap my quetzal to almost max weight and fill a dozen or so fridges each run (quetz only has 3000 weight, going to be so much better once I raise a proper weight quetz for the task)!

Ntm I was getting sick of giga stam and having a painstakingly hard time "running" (yeah right, more like insta-stam drain) from one meat spawn to another

On 2017-02-14 at 0:35 AM, Melcreif said:

So my base is in North Zone 2 just down from Obsidian Mountain. I've used a Trike in the past to get Narcoberries, but I'm always nervous something is going to come out of the woods and eat him!  I can always have my Rex follow us but that gets annoying since he always races up and gets in the way.  Thinking of a beafier tame to use to get berries in the harsh environment I live in but wow, even with the 1.5 taming event going on I'm looking at about 3+ hours for a decent one!  I might consider trying the stimberries trick maybe that'd drop that taming time. Thoughts on whether this guy is even worth it?

Taming one of these was a game-changer for us. Suddenly wood was no issue anymore.

Also works wonders for Fibers (Right click), which it will get from bushes.

And as good at they are at killing us, they are at killing other dinos. :D

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 10:05 AM, Melcreif said:

So my base is in North Zone 2 just down from Obsidian Mountain. I've used a Trike in the past to get Narcoberries, but I'm always nervous something is going to come out of the woods and eat him!  I can always have my Rex follow us but that gets annoying since he always races up and gets in the way.  Thinking of a beafier tame to use to get berries in the harsh environment I live in but wow, even with the 1.5 taming event going on I'm looking at about 3+ hours for a decent one!  I might consider trying the stimberries trick maybe that'd drop that taming time. Thoughts on whether this guy is even worth it?

I would say it's OP so definitely get one, it's so good that it makes a large portion of dinos obsolete.

I personally think the theri is too good, but I don't care I will happily use a OP dino.

On 2/13/2017 at 6:46 PM, Kyd said:

This thing gathers wood in BEAST MODE! Seriously I have weight pumped over 1500 and can fill him up in less than 30 seconds. WELL worth the time to tame!!!

Get a MAMMOTH to follow him for storage and you're all set!

Ftfy

But yeah my theris get about 2k wood per tree, around 40 prime from paracers, but I breed them. A lower level (20-30) will gather loads too though , and not just wood. Fiber, berries, rare mushrooms in the swamp (!)... It will harvest 3-4x more prime than any other dino you have (not to mention mutton), and regular meat as well so no more worryng about empty troughs. it's deff worth it especially on a 1.5x weekend.

6 hours ago, NONE said:

Ftfy

But yeah my theris get about 2k wood per tree, around 40 prime from paracers, but I breed them. A lower level (20-30) will gather loads too though , and not just wood. Fiber, berries, rare mushrooms in the swamp (!)... It will harvest 3-4x more prime than any other dino you have (not to mention mutton), and regular meat as well so no more worryng about empty troughs. it's deff worth it especially on a 1.5x weekend.

What is Ftfy?

16 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

Yes. They're really useful for collecting meat/berries and fibre/thatch/wood :) wish their base weight would be better tho haha

If they increased their base weight, it would render every other land dino obsolete except for the doed and anky. Even with its current setup, it pretty much already does that...lol. I can't imagine buffing them further. Theris are just insane right now. 

Theri is godly... wood, berries, meat, prime meat, fiber will never be issue again. Its outclassed by bronto(for berries gathering) and by giga(for meat,prime meat gathering) combat wise, they are on par of rex and can even outclass rex due their attack bypass armor, but they are not that tanky neither fast. But do not ever tame one without kibble. Low lvls ones are kinda waste due their weight and health. Majority of land carnivores ignore you i think only ones that attack you are allos, rexes, spinos and gigas and of course compys in a pack.

I've successfully bred a Therizino army on my server.   They are god-like when you get a high level pair and breed them.  They also get the benefit of sweet cake healing.     However it takes A LOT of effort to do it.  I put about 2 months in to establish my kibble chain, find and acquire the Therizi's:  

- Ovi's were easy, but requires a good supply of dodo eggs up front  so you have to be established enough to have eggs. You could also use larger eggs if you're rich enough to make it easier.   Their kibble tames the real pain of this chain, the Megalosaurus.

- Megalosaurus was a complete nightmare.  I spent so many hours cave diving in spots I had seen them previously - usually at the end of the Central Cave on the Island.   Which means I was religiously clearing it.  When the spawn isn't up that means they're in another cave so - yes - I had to go cave diving elsewhere to either tame or eradicate that spawn so they would spawn in a cave I could get them out of.   Complete nightmare.     That was only half the battle as the other half is getting them home.  These a-holes basically can't be moved during the day so expect a very interesting trek home.  I managed to use a raft to do the heavy lifting of the journey.  

Megalosaurus kibble also requires 2 prime meat jerky per,  which can be a bit expensive.

- Finally you can tame of the high level Therizi,  which is non trivial task  as they tend to be rare,  do a crazy amount of damage that also shreds your armor,  can hit your quetzal when picked up, leading to a bad day.  (Yes that happened to me. :().   High melee therizi's you pretty much have to trap. Be wary of trapping in stone as they DO damage stone.  I haven't had one break out, but the high melee one came close. 

Then,  even with the kibble,  you're looking at about 3 hours of babysitting.  It's not hard if penned in with the right defenses, but they do require constant attention as their torpor drops quickly. 

However, if you succeed at this twice with the right gender and stats, you never have to worry about anything ever again.  Raw Meat, Prime Meat, Wood, Thatch, Fiber, Berries, Plant X, Rare Mushrooms. Rare flowers. Other players accidentally encountered.    And any wild dino except Giga or Titan  will all be taken care of. 

Edit:  subjective comparison:   I found taming a Giga to be easier,  stealing wyvern milk to be easier.   The only tame I personally found more difficult than the Therizino was the Tuso.   

-K

• 4 months later...

The thero is an absolutely amazing tame. Not the best for berries in afraid the trike or stego still get lots more. But for fiber, wood, thatch, rare flowers, and mushrooms couldnt ask for a better tame. I live on the west side waterfall and with in 60 seconds of using my thero on the cat tails by the river i was incumbered  with fiber flowers and mushrooms. as for wood if they would give it the weight reduction the beaver has i'd never waste my time on a beaver. They get so much more wood per swing and only wood don't have to worry about berries because thats a completely different button. As of now i have my beaver follow me around and transfer from thero when its full. But definitely worth the tame. I would try to tame during a 2x event though they take a long time and lots of narcs. mine was a lvl 10 and still took 1:30 hours and took like 400 narcs on 2x. And  a high lvl thero will 100% take a rex.

Archived