Need some advice about killing water Alphas

SaltyBeard

It is slightly possible that a high health plesio can get grabbed by a squid, attack continuously until squid releases, and then, without moving the plesio, the squid gets trapped in the platform saddle and be unable to hit you while you continue to hit the squid with impunity and you keep the plesio still. Does this work? Sometimes. Should you count on it? It's your plesio. Alpha mosas do not work this way though. The stats on an alpha mosa are nothing to play with. 54,000 base health at level 1. Each level randomized into health gives it 6K more health. Using the random stat distribution, it is quite conceivable that a level 150 alpha could have 200,000 health. Base damage on a normal mosa is 100. At 400 percent melee, that is 400 damage per bite on a tame. Base damage on an alpha is 200. Again, level randomization could leave it with 400 easily. So you would be fighting a battle against a creature that does equal damage to you, and has a health pool five times your size.  The saddle and mate boost is key. One on one battles with medium level, or even a high level is accomplishable with a tamed high level mosa and a good saddle. We have a squid with 40K health and 400 melee and 96 armor saddle. Killed a 110 alpha with him. Lost half health. We had to dump a lot into speed so as to not get caught by anglers during squidnapping runs. Not bragging, just establishing a scenario saying, "In this situation, this worked to defeat this".

4 hours ago, Layton said:

It is slightly possible that a high health plesio can get grabbed by a squid, attack continuously until squid releases, and then, without moving the plesio, the squid gets trapped in the platform saddle and be unable to hit you while you continue to hit the squid with impunity and you keep the plesio still. Does this work? Sometimes. Should you count on it? It's your plesio. Alpha mosas do not work this way though. The stats on an alpha mosa are nothing to play with. 54,000 base health at level 1. Each level randomized into health gives it 6K more health. Using the random stat distribution, it is quite conceivable that a level 150 alpha could have 200,000 health. Base damage on a normal mosa is 100. At 400 percent melee, that is 400 damage per bite on a tame. Base damage on an alpha is 200. Again, level randomization could leave it with 400 easily. So you would be fighting a battle against a creature that does equal damage to you, and has a health pool five times your size.  The saddle and mate boost is key. One on one battles with medium level, or even a high level is accomplishable with a tamed high level mosa and a good saddle. We have a squid with 40K health and 400 melee and 96 armor saddle. Killed a 110 alpha with him. Lost half health. We had to dump a lot into speed so as to not get caught by anglers during squidnapping runs. Not bragging, just establishing a scenario saying, "In this situation, this worked to defeat this".

Do you happen to get an ascendant squid saddle? I've only got MasterCraft so far

It's possible with a good plesiosaur to kill a low level alpha mosa, the highest I've killed is a 25. My plesiosaur has 20k health and 405 melee, it was a 145 tame. It brought me down to 8k health with a journeyman saddle. Unlikely IMO to kill an alpha squid alone, I did it with two friends with a high level alpha squid and we were all on plesiosaurs, but alone I would've died for sure. 187 is not high enough though, my plesio's like 265 now

Highest id killed with my plesios was a 45 alpha mosa but that was with a ASC plat saddle and tons of health (shes got like....24k?) but was pretty rough. Alpha squids arent that bad because they flee at like 20% health. However due to the danger of angler sandwhich or sneaky jellyfish or adds, id recommend saving up for a squid tame or even a basilo - squids are the dominant alpha killers in the ocean (they are exceptionally good at killing alpha squids, without the grab ability alpha squids are much weaker than alpha mosas.)  Basilos heal extroidinarily fast a high end one can hit and run repeatedly to wittle down a alpha, some may even get lured up far enough that the basilo can maintain its OP healing. They are also immune to squid grab/jelly attacks (entirely, unlike squids who are just immune to the knockoff) however they are also very slow, you might die of old age before you can get TO the alphas.

Archived