What are your thoughts on Flyer Rebalance?

mleii

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator

a. we need official no tame flier servers I would switch in a heartbeat. Bird pvp is the worst part of ark.

b. pteras need to be nerfed big time just got raided one ptera 249 just one hit killed 2 rexes a trike 2 turtles with one shot. They weren't high levels but seriously one shot killed all of them. spinning death bird needs to stop the sooner the better.

c. quetzes need to be the chickens of the sky they take turret bullets and species x they need to throw the rider off and run. The bio even states they rather flee then fight.

d. argents are seem fine no complaints.

e. Kinda off topic but turret range needs to increase or you shouldn't be allowed to shoot rockets off the backs of birds. Absolutely no skill involved in shooting rockets off a quetz. Or at least make rockets at range fly in all types of different directions no accuracy at range.

6 minutes ago, mleii said:

How would you do that?  They're going to need more details for sure.

Well. I think Pteranodons shouldn't even be used for fighting. They're frail and should have low health. I'm pretty sure the original purpose for them was to be used as scouts.

Decreasing the speed of most fliers would help.

1 hour ago, Captnmorgan said:

a. we need official no tame flier servers I would switch in a heartbeat. Bird pvp is the worst part of ark.

b. pteras need to be nerfed big time just got raided one ptera 249 just one hit killed 2 rexes a trike 2 turtles with one shot. They weren't high levels but seriously one shot killed all of them. spinning death bird needs to stop the sooner the better.

c. quetzes need to be the chickens of the sky they take turret bullets and species x they need to throw the rider off and run. The bio even states they rather flee then fight.

d. argents are seem fine no complaints.

e. Kinda off topic but turret range needs to increase or you shouldn't be allowed to shoot rockets off the backs of birds. Absolutely no skill involved in shooting rockets off a quetz. Or at least make rockets at range fly in all types of different directions no accuracy at range.

I second this

Yeah, folks should really chime in. Could be a chance to breath some life into ARK PvP. Imagine actually using your favorite land animals and not some flyer just to remain competitive. More things are viable now; we don't even have to go back to the Rex piles! Get on your Wolves, Raptors and Terror birds and go ham with the fire arrows. Set up those Purlovia, do some night ambushes with that Megalosaurus (it actually does more damage than the Rex at night) or rip through armor with your Therizinosaurus. All we gotta do is let Drake know... 

• Remove the death roll on Ptera's in favor of added defense bonus while spinning (examples, while spinning anything hitting it has a chance of reduced damage or null damage)
  • 100% weight on Quetz
  • Reduce structure limit on Quetz platform to something that looks more "aerodynamically possible"
  • Increase bird damage slightly from bullets or dramatically reduce stamina when being hit by bullets
  • Argy is reasonably ok.
  • Increase usefulness of land based platform dinos (bronto, paracer) - had to chuck it in there!

Quite like the idea of rockets being increasingly inaccurate at longer ranges...

8 minutes ago, Mendoza said:
  • Remove the death roll on Ptera's in favor of added defense bonus while spinning (examples, while spinning anything hitting it has a chance of reduced damage or null damage)
  • 100% weight on Quetz
  • Reduce structure limit on Quetz platform to something that looks more "aerodynamically possible"
  • Increase bird damage slightly from bullets or dramatically reduce stamina when being hit by bullets
  • Argy is reasonably ok.
  • Increase usefulness of land based platform dinos (bronto, paracer) - had to chuck it in there!

Quite like the idea of rockets being increasingly inaccurate at longer ranges...

Honestly, I think removing the Ptera's ability to pick up people would have a much bigger impact than altering the death roll, but, ay, I'm all for both!

@all the guys above: Please think about PvE as well! Decreasing speed would make the Pteranodon useless and being picked up by somebody helped me out many times, when my birds decided to land 347399 miles away in the middle of a fight... I'm OK with reducing HP/damage on flyers, but speed, stamina and weight should stay untouched!

I think the health needs to be nerfed on all fliers.

The problem is, that if you remove fliers from the pvp aspect of the game, every instance of pvp will just be gigas vs. gigas ... or gigas vs. noob base.

As Jeremy himself commented, regarding what animals they choose to add, one of the conditions was "unique usefullness" or something like that.
SO... I think we need to consider what makes each flier unique and what they add to the gameplay (if they even are unique and usefull)

Right now, the argentavis is the least useful of the dinos.
Worse for pvp and pve battle than pteranodon
Worse for transport than quetz (quetzal even has a higher base speed than an argent, for transporting small critters)

Quetzal is the tank of the air...
The saddle was nerfed, but quetzals are still overpowered in terms of pvp and pve.
I do like their ability for transporting though, but maybe they should have added a 100% weight on creatures it carries and has on platform

44 minutes ago, Jonathanasger said:

Right now, the argentavis is the least useful of the dinos.
Worse for pvp and pve battle than pteranodon
Worse for transport than quetz (quetzal even has a higher base speed than an argent, for transporting small critters)

Its useful abilities are to carry a scorpion that maybe knocks out your first Quetz (don't know if this is still working) and it serves as weight bird before you get a Quetz. But it really needs an overhaul. I would use my Argies more often if they were remarkably faster than the Quetz for quick transportation of smaller amounts of resources. At this point I just keep them because I like the model and they were the first creatures I bred to lvl 260+. :D 

What about Pelagornis? Nobody even bothering with these 'big ducks'?! We have 1 and I use it occasionally, it needs levelling though as the stamina is pretty poor. It should be pretty weak though I reckon, can barely carry much and given it's size, should be easily injured/killed.

I agree with a few ideas in here - aerodynamics of the quetz should be affected by the structure on it e.g. if someone builds a 'square box' on it for battle then it should be slowed down dramatically. If that box is metal (and it probably would be on a battle quetz) then the weight should have a large impact too. Also like the idea of the quetz fleeing when hit - when you try and tranq it in the skies it flees immediately. It should do similar after x hits in a battle, although maybe getting a bit of 'bravery' post-tame meaning it would take 3 or 4 shots before fleeing?

Argentavis' need something. Some kind of 'thing' that makes them useful past low-mid game. Until you get a quetzal they're good for carrying things and maybe killing the odd alpha raptor or carno (if you have a good stamina/melee bird), but once the quetz is caught I find they're just left sitting in the base. Too slow so people take the ptera, can't carry enough so people take the quetz... poor argentavis is left to rot!

I don't really want another ptera speed nerf but I do agree with the possible mods to them suggested in here. PvP is often just a ptera-fest and coupled with the lag it's a bit of a lottery as to the outcome. They should be weakened - they can really take quite a bit of punishment compared to other creatures and they're skinny little things with easily-tearable wings. For example, when taming a rex on a Tapejara using 2 people, if the shooter accidentally hits the mount with a couple of arrows or darts then it falls down pretty quickly. When catching a quetz carrying someone with a ptera, I've had the ptera hit maybe 4, 5+ times and it just happily shrugs it off.

Tapejara seems OK I think, it's useful for transporting people around on scouting missions which I think is it's primary purpose. The strafe/hover come in useful and the wall-clinging abilities can also come in handy. I'd like them to regain stamina when doing that but I guess they'd be a bit unbalanced then.

Quetzals are fine as they are. They shouldn't be able to be boxed in, though - despite it being against the rules, people still do it regardless. 

Pteranodons are too fast. They need their speed reduced like crazy. 

Argys are perfect.

All birds should have a seat-belt option so that riders can't easily be picked off, because honestly, 90% of the PvP encounters are picking each other up with pteras/argys and dropping or pulling to turret. It's BORING. 

Flyer balance. Notice! This is just quick thoughts that came to mind. Its intention is not to be and end all and make everything shiny and perfect idea post. Just throwing my thoughts into the pool about the subject. 

Ptera
Make 
-not able to grap a player but still able to grab
Dodo, troodon, lystro, monkey, snail, dilo, compy, 

-Make barrel roll do only same damage as normal attack not 3x
nerf max speed possible, 

Argie
Boost:
-make it able to carry two dilos at the same time, 
-able to carry dimetrodon
-saddle pouches - increases weight but when in use reduces ability to grap animals to ptera level.
    -cannot be swapped in air but instead one needs to land to place them
    -permanently modifies a saddle

Quetz

thoughts. Should the platform saddle be removed add multi-passanger saddle 

boost:

Nerf
-weight platform saddle item numbers perhaps. nerf weight overall a little but should quetz be totally nerfed in regards to mining .. (some maps changes may need to happen as well. I'm personally not quite sure how much and how should the quetz be nerfed.   Perhaps add a weight reduction for metal on bronto / paracer if quetz cannot be used for mining anymore. 

nerf: 
-not able to pickup Mammoth anymore as it makes sense in regards to reality / size of mammoth (check mammoth boost & nerfs)
-perhaps not able to carry carno (then add carno sprint ability)

Mammoth are not used much these days. 
boost: (needs carefull numbers consideration but over all id like them to be boosted to a degree) not many ppl use them. 
-wood weighs only 1/4'th like beaver
-thatch weighs only 1/2
-Stone weighs only 1/3rd (nerf beaver stone weight bonus to 25% weight reduction)
-New stomp attack behind the mammoth - possibility to stun a target behind it
-Make mammoth a new ability in regards to its snout in some way. perhaps gathering or water related

nerf:
cannot be carried with quetz

Beaver
nerf -
stone weight reduction only -25% not 50% like before

boost PERHAPS: 
-perhaps converts chitin + stone into cp over time

I'm pretty sure ptera needs siginificant speed nerf. I've seen so many pvp videos with so ridiculously fast pterodons that you cannot hit them with a rifle. What's more they cause lag on the server and it is really distracting having ptera flying in front of you with faster than light velocity and then it rubberbands. 

Currently pterodons and flyers in general denies the point of using land dinosaurs as mean of transport.

• Volunteer Moderator

How about tamed Dino's can only pick up wild and your own tribe Dino's.  I am tired of quetzals and argents flying in grabbing my Dino and throwing it in ocean or outside fence. How is that pvp or fun. I tame my Dino's to protect not to be just randomly thrown outside. Let them die with honor in battle...  I do agree with most grabbing players other then tribe members is just a big boring mechanic in this game that should be done away with sooner rather then later. What's the point of dropping someone until they are out of parachutes or shaking them until they die. You don't even see wild argents doing that. Stay consistent ark lol...

14 hours ago, Captnmorgan said:

"c. quetzes need to be the chickens of the sky they take turret bullets and species x they need to throw the rider off and run. The bio even states they rather flee then fight."

This is a good idea. Make it exactly like the giga mechanic, so after x amount of damage it throws the rider off, and flees for x amount of time.

10 hours ago, Mendoza said:

Also a good idea. Pretty much all roll maneuvers in aviation are for defensive measures.

2 hours ago, Jamagh said:

I am fine with them nerfing things for PVP. Go ahead. do it. Be leave PVE alone! You swing the nerf bat at the PVPers, and PVE gets hit harder. Why won't you have seperate rules for the modes?

Please listen to this

@Jat @Jeremy Stieglitz

Were in a good place with fliers on npvp.. sure there could be some qol changes or revertions back to prior pvp nerf changes, but please think of us too!

I think a lot of the responses here are bias towards negative consequences of fliers on pvp. I would like to see some positive constructive reviews or suggestions (Note: Not saying the reviews here are non cconstructive)

We just need a different pov :)

Archived