What are your thoughts on Flyer Rebalance?

mleii

Fixing the tracking on Auto-Turrets would make Pteras actually afraid of guns again. Right now, with just a 155% speed Ptera, heavily gunned bases are treated like a joke by Pteras when they hit C, or when the rider is intelligent and knowledgable about the turrets distance.

But the main problem (or not really) is with Quetzals, and how NECESSARY they are on Official servers. The alternatives are carrying an Anky to hard-to-reach mining places (imagine bringing Ankylos to the Volcano or to the mountains without the use of a Quetzal, it's horrible) or using a Pick and a high-speed high-weight mount. Unless those nodes are going to have Bronto/Paracer-approved trails, they will remain to be Quetzal-Only.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Fixing the tracking on Auto-Turrets would make Pteras actually afraid of guns again. Right now, with just a 155% speed Ptera, heavily gunned bases are treated like a joke by Pteras when they hit C, or when the rider is intelligent and knowledgable about the turrets distance.

But the main problem (or not really) is with Quetzals, and how NECESSARY they are on Official servers. The alternatives are carrying an Anky to hard-to-reach mining places (imagine bringing Ankylos to the Volcano or to the mountains without the use of a Quetzal, it's horrible) or using a Pick and a high-speed high-weight mount. Unless those nodes are going to have Bronto/Paracer-approved trails, they will remain to be Quetzal-Only.

Indeed. Map changes would need to happen as well. I personally would not nerf quetz mining more than perhaps down to the level where you gotta have anky under your quetz grap style from the old days.  So Max worst level nerf to quetz should be that. But I hope they nerf it less if they indeed nerf it. 

10 hours ago, iAmE said:

Problem being, you can't really nerf Ptera's speed anymore. They're already less then 10% of a difference between them and Argents.

My only though on Ptera is that they should keep a niche. Either nerf their combat efficiency (Picking) or nerf their mobility (Speed), don't do what a large number of the people in this thread are suggesting, and remove both.

I see no problem with keeping both the speed and the damage if they did something about picking and if they fixed auto turrets, so that they can hit fast moving targets.

On 2/12/2017 at 9:23 PM, Captnmorgan said:

b. pteras need to be nerfed big time just got raided one ptera 249 just one hit killed 2 rexes a trike 2 turtles with one shot. They weren't high levels but seriously one shot killed all of them. spinning death bird needs to stop the sooner the better.

I do have to call a bit of BS on this.  At 249 with nothing but melee levels, the Pteranodon would have 1340% melee damage which would yield 670 pre-armor damage from the roll attack and 241 damage from the standard attack.  The roll attack would still be 400 damage shy of one-shotting a level 1 rex without a saddle.  Even a primitive saddle would make the roll attack require 3 hits to kill a level 1 rex at 536 damage per hit.

Making pteras fly slower with explosives was a step in the positive but like most people have stated on here, I think a general speed nerf and maybe removal of the barrel roll would be best. Removing the ability to pick up a partner with a ptera will limit how new people progress in the game and might not be the answer. Maybe make the weight xfer more dramatic or something for when you are picking enemy players or something. Even adding a 'struggle' effect that causes the ptera to lose stamina or fly slower when picking up enemies might work.

33 minutes ago, Lukien said:

Making pteras fly slower with explosives was a step in the positive but like most people have stated on here, I think a general speed nerf and maybe removal of the barrel roll would be best. Removing the ability to pick up a partner with a ptera will limit how new people progress in the game and might not be the answer. Maybe make the weight xfer more dramatic or something for when you are picking enemy players or something.

Removing the roll attack (not technically a barrel roll) would negatively affect PvE.  The roll attack also has significantly slower DPS than the standard attack at the expense of a substantial amount of stamina.  If you all are having issue with that attack, then perhaps armor is more your problem.  Even adding a 'struggle' effect that causes the ptera to lose stamina or fly slower when picking up enemies might work.  A full set of riot armor reduces that attack's base damage to 7.4 damage.  A primitive saddle reduces the base damage on your dinos down to 40.  A strong ptera is going to have ~450 melee damage, so ~33.3 damage in full riot gear (primitive) and 180 to dinos w/ primitive saddles.  With ramshackle blueprints for riot gear (not unreasonable) you would be closer to 1200 armor, which would reduce the roll from a 450 melee ptera to 17.3 damage (6 hits to kill with 100 health).  

If the enemy is using pteranodons, a solution to the pickup and drop method would be to have a substantial amount of weight while riding land dinos or quetzals.  This wouldn't counter it for people riding pteranodons or argents, though.  If you are holding more weight than their bird can carry, then as soon as they pick you up, they're immobilized.  If you're on a land dino or quetzal, that's not a concern (they drop you and you're safe [maybe a small amount of fall damage]).  If they're breeding  pteras for damage, they will likely have around 350 weight capacity.  The rider likely has a decent amount of weight he's carrying as well, which will leave probably ~150 lbs. of weight available to pick up someone and fly away.  If you have 250 lbs in your inventory, that would likely destroy their ability to do that.  Other birds are a different story, though. In that regard,  Providing unique bonuses to certain birds while taking away a general "You can pick this up" might be an option.  Allow pteras and argents the ability to pickup players while the other birds can't.  Instead, giving those other birds unique characteristics (the Tapajera's amazing handling and ability to fly 3 people,  Quetzal's platform saddle, etc..)  Tapajera, IMO, should gain the ability to pick up small creatures.  Not as big as the argent, but more than just players.  Perhaps scorpions, dilos, dodos, and other small dinos of the same size.  

Having a seatbelt option that someone mentioned earlier would be a great idea, also.  It could be a feature with a durability stat that is fairly low.  (If the dino successfully grabs a player 4 times, the seatbelt breaks.  Each grab that doesn't break the seatbelt could drastically reduce the stamina of that bird.  If the seatbelt breaks, the saddle wouldn't be rendered useless, just that feature until repair.  Seatbelts could simply be an attachment attachable to any saddle, providing safety from such an attack no matter what you're actually doing.  A side-benefit that could be implemented with such an addition would be this:  If you D/C or crash while flying and are buckled in, you won't fall to your death on next login.

I'm a PvE player myself.  PvP just irritates me.  I do see the need for balance for PvP players, though, and want to offer suggestions to achieve such balance while preserving quality of life for the PvE side of things.  There are also some changes that need to be made on that side too for PvE specific problems (blocking of resources by alpha tribes where nothing reasonable can be done to alleviate the problem is just an example.)

6 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

I do have to call a bit of BS on this.  At 249 with nothing but melee levels, the Pteranodon would have 1340% melee damage which would yield 670 pre-armor damage from the roll attack and 241 damage from the standard attack.  The roll attack would still be 400 damage shy of one-shotting a level 1 rex without a saddle.  Even a primitive saddle would make the roll attack require 3 hits to kill a level 1 rex at 536 damage per hit.

There is a lot of truth to this statement logically but it depends on the saddle of the animal too , maybe if they were non saddled level 5 with very low health roll , and the 249 ptera was maxed in melee with 100% imprint and melee stat mutations but yeah that sounds like a work of fiction already lol. A good ptera will destroy stuff though given enough time but not to the point where you could easily one shot things like op claims. The only thing about pteras I have a problem with is that I have recently been picked by a ptera and I was carrying 500+ pounds of stone and the ptera had enough momentum or whatever you want to call it to drag me about 20 feet off the cliffside before slowing down which is insane. If I'm carrying more than the max weight of the ptera (including the rider etc) they shouldn't even be able to lift me at all. Like not even be able to latch on especially not pick you off the ground a few feet or magically carry you when you have 2x their max weight 

1 hour ago, Mjsechrest said:

There is a lot of truth to this statement logically but it depends on the saddle of the animal too , maybe if they were non saddled level 5 with very low health roll , and the 249 ptera was maxed in melee with 100% imprint and melee stat mutations but yeah that sounds like a work of fiction already lol. A good ptera will destroy stuff though given enough time but not to the point where you could easily one shot things like op claims. The only thing about pteras I have a problem with is that I have recently been picked by a ptera and I was carrying 500+ pounds of stone and the ptera had enough momentum or whatever you want to call it to drag me about 20 feet off the cliffside before slowing down which is insane. If I'm carrying more than the max weight of the ptera (including the rider etc) they shouldn't even be able to lift me at all. Like not even be able to latch on especially not pick you off the ground a few feet or magically carry you when you have 2x their max weight 

I agree with this.  What may be the most realistic (and certainly the funniest) solution would be for them to implement real physics into the lifting capabilities.  If the ptera isn't capable of even picking up the weight but grasps someone at full speed, then he gets slingshotted to the ground due to centrifugal force.  I would laugh SO HARD every time I see this happen.  I'd switch to PvP just to watch it.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:55 PM, iAmE said:

Problem being, you can't really nerf Ptera's speed anymore. They're already less then 10% of a difference between them and Argents.

My only though on Ptera is that they should keep a niche. Either nerf their combat efficiency (Picking) or nerf their mobility (Speed), don't do what a large number of the people in this thread are suggesting, and remove both.

You are wrong here sorry to say but there is a much bigger difference then 10% move speed.

This here is a video of a base move speed ptera vs a 170% move speed argy. Having to put 28 points in to an argy to make them roughly the same speed as a base ptera is just silly imo.

17 minutes ago, SlipperySquid said:

Argent base MS is 1350. Ptera base move speed is 1897.5. Argent scales better in speed (Post nerf) then Ptera. an Argent with 60 points in speed, will have 3375 MS, a Ptera will have 4147, which is almost 20%. I suppose someone put points in my speed argey that wasn't me, that being said, good luck using a pure speed Ptera in PvP, where Ptera's are the biggest issue. You'll get one shot pretty quick.

I suppose you could up the scaling on a Ptera while nerfing it's base, making it's speed a more "Specialized" role, but I still maintain the belief that Ptera's should retain either it's damage, or it's speed. We shouldn't be killing dinos.

6 hours ago, LE4SoDeadly said:

Remove the ability to use birds all day every day maybe a kind of sleep system like the mega anything to bring a point to land Dinos , id even completely remove the quetz weight ability make the baggage trains in every video a thing 

I think the Dev's should take it 1 step further and make Quetz carry 50% of the weight of whatever they are carrying. The Anko farm is a good mechanic but its just way to strong. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:52 AM, banggugyangu said:

A strong ptera is going to have ~450 melee damage, so ~33.3 damage in full riot gear (primitive) and 180 to dinos w/ primitive saddles.  With ramshackle blueprints for riot gear (not unreasonable) you would be closer to 1200 armor, which would reduce the roll from a 450 melee ptera to 17.3 damage (6 hits to kill with 100 health).  

0vDzwlU.png

This is stats on official just to let you know. It is retarded how strong ptera's are becoming due to breeding. Think about the stats at 100% imprinted and the 150+ ptera saddles No need to socket hp, Only need to socket Melee/MS.

One day i will show you some real battle ptera's not our crappy throw aways. I think ptera should have this kind of damage but not the speed that goes with it. Not to say they should not get the speed back at a later date however WC cant make servers stable enough so turrets can track them effectively. So i feel the only logical balance they can do that can be reversed at a later date if needed is to the speed stat.

As someone who mostly plays on unofficial, I'm going to give you all a much needed perspective.

It's commonly known that forums are places where people who got wiped by X on an official server go to complain about how X needs to be nerfed into the ground, and as we can see in this thread that is true. so many opinions from people who only consider going against good flyers as if they don't use good flyers of their own. so here's a little insight as to why nerfing flyers too much would only mess up the game (in my next post, i'll give my proposed flyer balance changes)

Travel - I've seen it criticized that flyers trivialize land travel, and yet the people I've heard say that act as if they are unable to use land dinos to travel, but they know that it would suck so they don't do that. they know it would take forever and that there are plenty of places they couldn't go and things they couldn't do, lets not mess up flyers too much and make travel too impractical otherwise no one would ever leave their corner of the map, which would ruin the gameplay of both PVP(imagine if people only ever fought their neighbors) and PVE (imagine not ever going to half the map because 20 minute flight times are long and boring or because you have to stop for stamina 10 times and get eaten by something on the way), just as an example I used to live on an island on the center near lava island, the only way to get resources by land would be finding an amphibious dinosaur with high weight that can kill rexes even while burdened by metal, any viable suggestions?

Weight Hauling- if you're trying to build anything big or major you absolutely need a quetz, no two ways about it, even on multiplied rates unofficial servers you still absolutely need a quetz if you want to get anything big built. if you care at all about base defense, creative building or being in a tribe with a tribe base you need a high weight quetz, any major quetz nerfs that affect its ability to haul materials will have major ramifications on the game in a negative way (too little resources means every base will be small and weak and easy to destroy, not to mention things will be less exciting on your server, huge tribes with like 5 quetzes won't really be bothered by any quetz nerfs to weight, but anything that isn't already alpha may be crippled)

Danger/Survival- another criticism of flyers that I have seen is that they take the danger/survival elements out of the game by making things easy once you've gotten your first flyer(because you can just quickly fly over everything). this is a lie. and a very bad lie. the truth is that there are 1000 ways to make the game easy since you're in basically zero danger from dinosaurs as soon as you get off the ground in the game (it would help if wild dinosaurs were in any danger of destroying your house ever), most survival games have minecraft syndrome where as soon as you leave early game there are no survival elements anymore because you have to actively try to be in danger, the only aversion to this is 7 days to die (because zombies can destroy your house and every week a giant horde sieges your fortress), the only real way around this would be to completely rebalance wild dinosaurs to make them dangerous enough that you need to actively protect yourself against them even late into the game, or turn every biome into a mini version of scorched earth where you need to constantly be watching some meter or another so you don't die (see: no man's sky and how much "fun" that was). either way it's foolish to blame flyers when the truth is that it stops being a survival game once you've got chitin armor, a stone house, metal weapons, and any sort of half decent tame(flyer or not). after that your only danger is your own stupidity and PVP

PVP- finally, the last major point of contention with flyers, the PVP meta where only like 4 dinos matter two of which are the only two good pvp flyers. this is a more complex issue than most of you realize, many of you don't seem to notice that it's not just that a few dinos are better than the others, it's that most dinos are completely and utterly useless even if you take whatever is on top of it out of the equation. absolutely nothing will make pelagornis or argents meta in their current state, they're just so weak. we saw this in action when everyone became convinced that the giga being balanced made it weak and useless, the only dino that came back into fashion was rexes, therizinos and dire bears and spinos and alpha allos and carnos still aren't considered high tier PVP dinos because rexes do it all(the bigger and stronger dinos like carnos, spinos, therizinos allos and alpha allos especially, also dire bears should be able to contend with tamed rexes). the solution isn't just to nerf the ptera/quetz it's to make the Wyvern/tapejara/pelgornis/argent actually worth using in a PVP context so that the meta becomes more varied. why are argents so slow and do so little damage? their tankiness and stamina means jack when there's tankier dinos that don't have stamina issues, and faster dinos that do way more damage. the solution needs to be to find a point in between where pteras/quetzs are and where everything else is, and buff the weak stuff to the point where you nerf the pteras and quetzs that way things are actually balanced. for the record if your base can be raided by flyers alone and doesn't need a lot of powerful land dinos then your base is likely quite poorly designed

in my next post I will balance all of the flyers

alright lets get right to it, remember the goal here is to make all flyers legitimately useful in their own rights while keeping them balanced, first things first, one global change: all flyers are hard capped in how much potential speed they can have to prevent them from outspeeding turret targetting or rockets. it's not really fair for there to be unhittable flyers of any kind

Quetzal- (Diagnosis: Moderate Tweaks) this one is simple, make its bases low but its per stat point increase high, this forces people to only have high stats when they choose to invest, forcing their quetzals to specialize(think: 300 base weight but +20% of current weight per stat increase, for an example), so they can have a 40k health super tank OR a 3k weight metal hauler OR a blazing fast battle bird, but never all 3 or any combination of two. this mainly forces people to need to have numerous quetzals with different specialties. now an invincible tank won't be that damaging nor that fast and a blazing fast battle bird won't have much more than 600 weight nor that much over 10k(or even 5k) health. also this is a major one do not allow metal structures to be built on platform saddles of any kind. there, now all problems with boxed quetzes are solved forever because you can blow up stone with rockets (combined with the global change above) 

Pteranodon- (Diagnosis: Moderate Tweaks) this is a pretty simple one, don't allow pteras to pick up people(allow all the non-speed demon birds  to do that though, no reason argents and quetzs can't pick people), nerf the barrel roll damage(pteras shouldn't be out damaging argents, quetzes, etc.) and their speed by moderate amounts. pteras should be faster than most flyers but it shouldn't be to such a godly extent that you need to practically invest twice as much in speed to come close to a ptera. a 100% ptera should be equal to a 110%(or 115%) argent or a 105-110% quetzal, and they should only gain slightly more speed per level up than other dinos to force you to have to really invest hard into speed to get a 300% speed ptera or something. ideally the ptera will serve the role of a moderately useful early game dino that is good in a pinch but generally outclassed (as in, you can bring them to a raid if you want without hindering yourself, but if you have a choice there should be several better options)

Argentavis- (Diagnosis: Moderate Tweaks) argents are supposed to be the powerful and dangerous battle birds, they should do a lot of damage and be fast so that they're difficult and dangerous tames to partially offset their power and keep them out of noob hands, they should do the most damage out of any flyers except a well bred battle quetz or a wyvern, they should be fast enough for war purposes (possibly let them keep a lowish base speed but let their speed ramp up as they fly allowing them to chase down targets and fly long distances while not being crazy agile in the short range), they should have pretty much the same weight they have now, and their health and stamina is pretty good too, really their only issues are being slow and the fact that they don't do enough damage to warrant using in war

Pelagornis- (Diagnosis: Complete Overhaul/Rework) basically, this is an interesting one, first of I'd increase its speed til it was far and away the fastest flyer(still minding the global limit above) I'd want the pelagornis to gain a thirst stat instead of hunger, it drains rapidly like it's on SE or something when away from water (it gains the ability to drink directly from water, and you can give it water by putting canteens and such in its inventory), it maintains its low weight and stamina with some QoL buffs to health so it's not too easy to kill (still should get killed by 1 rocket no matter what), it should gain the ability to rapidly regenerate health and stamina when they're low by draining its water stat (so if you use it to regen your water stat could go from full to empty in a minute, but if you don't then you have 5 minutes before the water meter is empty and your pela needs a drink), the idea here is that it's the ultimate dino in or near the water, but you need to keep it from being thirsty or else it'll rapidly lose health and stamina and gain torpor then die in like 5 minutes. it'll be the scourge and the terror of the seas but bases not near water will have nothing to fear and if your base isn't near water having a pela will be quite impractical, I'd also give it the ability to easily dive into the water from the sky (just fly straight into the water and search for pearls or whatever). so it basically becomes an extremely fast flyer that regenerates its health and stamina rapidly when damaged but needs to drink every few minutes or else it will slowly die so you must keep it near water, its weight and damage remain low though). I'd also make it a much harder tame to make up for how much strong it's gonna be

Tapejara- (Diagnosis: Minor Tweaks) aside from being too squishy and needing health buffs these guys are fine, maybe I'd make them a little faster but that's it. if I really wanted to buff them i'd make them the equivalent of the paracer/plesiosaur and make the tapejara be the secondary platform saddle flyer, I like that idea. give users a choice of the multi-seat saddle or a mini(not as good as the quetz one) platform saddle while making a tapejara tankier (still killable in 1-2 rockets) and a bit faster(but not game breaking or anything).

Wyvern-  (Diagnosis: QoL buffs/needs some love) finally the wyvern, all this guy really needs is to be stronger, it should be the offensive king of the skies but with extremely low stamina forcing wyvern pilots to not be able to chase you very far and to have to land often, but in a 1v1 duel you shouldn't have a prayer against one without the most tip top of battle argents or battle quetzs, Wyverns are extremely hard to get so they should be really powerful. not so powerful that nothing can touch them, but powerful enough to have a seat at the PVP table. I'd give them more health and a better turning radius, they should be tankier than an argent but less so than a battle quetz, do more damage than most other flyers like they do now, have terrible stamina, high speed, reasonable weight, etc. they're mostly fine they just need a little tweaking to really shine

Summary: (this is where I'd want the flyers to stack up)

Speed: Pelagornis > Wyvern > Pteranodon > Quetzal > Tapejara > Argent (but the differences should be small)

damage potential: Wyvern > well bred argent = well bred quetzal > everything else

tankiness: well bred quetzal > Wyvern > Argent > the rest

Weight: well bred quetzal > argent = wyvern > everything else

Stamina: Pelagornis = Ptera = Tapejara > battle birds

Final Thoughts- people are right that the skies need to be more dangerous, I vote for alpha argentavis' that hunt down flyers (ignoring quetzals of course) with high speed so that even player tamed dinos have trouble evading them, and they only leave you alone if you land, with a huge aggro radius in the sky

You guys do realize the reason a ptera out damages a argy most of the time is simply because people put the time to tame/breed them till they are 30+ generations though gaining really high stats . You pick someone up on a 100% imprinted 600 melee argy and you will rip through 500 dura armor in like 4 claws kill them in like 6 attacks. Its just people do not use them  because they are slow compared to the other 2 air dinos.

I will always stick by the fact that speed is the number one issue in ark. Till that is nerfed you can not really balance this game.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:11 AM, SlipperySquid said:

0vDzwlU.png

This is stats on official just to let you know. It is retarded how strong ptera's are becoming due to breeding. Think about the stats at 100% imprinted and the 150+ ptera saddles No need to socket hp, Only need to socket Melee/MS.

One day i will show you some real battle ptera's not our crappy throw aways. I think ptera should have this kind of damage but not the speed that goes with it. Not to say they should not get the speed back at a later date however WC cant make servers stable enough so turrets can track them effectively. So i feel the only logical balance they can do that can be reversed at a later date if needed is to the speed stat.

/sigh.... The absolute most damage you will ever get out of a pteranodon on an official server with 100% imprinting and maximum melee mutations will be 707.4 damage from the spin attack.  with the same ~1200 armor from ramshackle riot gear (once again, not unreasonable), that's 54.4 damage.  That is the ...ABSOLUTE...MAXIMUM...DAMAGE a pteranodon can do on official servers....period....  Getting that is a pipe dream, though, because you'll never find a 100% perfect melee pteranodon in the wild that gets 100% perfect melee levels after tame.  (Yes, this damage number included all levels the pteranodon can receive AFTER being leveled up following the extremely strenuous breeding process to work out all the mutation levels and also acquire full imprinting.)   In a lot of raiding situations, you're actually facing people with Journeyman+ riot gear.  This can easily reach numbers of ~3000 armor.  That drops the maximum damage to ~22 damage for the spin attack.

From a PVE point  I don't mind what happens to the  Petra now I'm high level in the game, but at the start it was good to grab a tribe mate and came in useful but if it was changed I would be ok. Quetzals should not be allowed to carry a Anky to mine the map without the weight being added,  apart from that should be left alone. As for the Argie a think is pretty perfect as is and not just because I like to breed them. ?

But whatever they do to the game I just hope they think about the impact on PVE as well because we always seem to be a after thought when changes are made. A think it would have been better if they had different changes for the different modes.

On 2/21/2017 at 10:34 AM, banggugyangu said:

/sigh.... The absolute most damage you will ever get out of a pteranodon on an official server with 100% imprinting and maximum melee mutations will be 707.4 damage from the spin attack.  with the same ~1200 armor from ramshackle riot gear (once again, not unreasonable), that's 54.4 damage.  That is the ...ABSOLUTE...MAXIMUM...DAMAGE a pteranodon can do on official servers....period....  Getting that is a pipe dream, though, because you'll never find a 100% perfect melee pteranodon in the wild that gets 100% perfect melee levels after tame.  (Yes, this damage number included all levels the pteranodon can receive AFTER being leveled up following the extremely strenuous breeding process to work out all the mutation levels and also acquire full imprinting.)   In a lot of raiding situations, you're actually facing people with Journeyman+ riot gear.  This can easily reach numbers of ~3000 armor.  That drops the maximum damage to ~22 damage for the spin attack.

why would you spin attack a person when you could easily just pick them instead?

spin attack is for killing dinos

That's kinda my point.  Spin attack is fantastic on PvE for early prime meat farming.  Getting a high level pteranodon early on in PvE is not difficult, and it's so crucial for getting early prime meat for bigger tames.  Taking the spin attack away completely destroys a pteranodon's ability to kill high level rexes and brontos in PvE.  My math there was to show that if the spin attack is your issue in PvP, then you're not ready for raids.  Get some blueprints for higher armor items and the spin attack is nothing to worry about.  

What needs to be addressed is the bird's ability to pick people off of dinos.  It shouldn't be removed altogether, but there needs to be a counter to it.  That is where the aforementioned seat belt attachment to the saddles could be a good solution.  Durability for the seatbelt would directly counter the bird's natural weight capacity.  If the bird can carry the weight of the player and his mount, then it picks both up.  If not, the bird is then stuck in place until he lets go of the player.  When the seat belt's durability reaches 0, the seat belt breaks and the player is then plucked from the mount like normal.  Stamina should drain according to the total weight of the player and dino the bird is carrying with a maximum being that the bird was unable to pick them up and is still trying to move.

There are solutions to problems that don't necessarily involve nerfing the problem.  Sometimes a new mechanic or a buff to something else is the answer.

There would be unintended consequences if the weight was nerfed on Quetz. Alphas would take over more mountains for farming bases for starters, which would increase beta tribe rage. 

Do we really want metal structures to be harder to make? Is it really that hard to break into a metal base, that this should be a concern? 

Nerfing metal farming just makes the existing alphas all the more stronger.

Archived