ARK's Valentine Celebration

Jatheish

Love the event.  Would like to see something similar for lets say Mothers Day or Fathers Day.  And don't let the complainers worry you.  They would find a way to complain about a free dino.   Hey Y'all if we didn't have an event you wouldn't get any bonuses think about that when you complain that you don't get enough for an optional event.

On 17-2-2017 at 0:24 PM, GamerPerfection said:

When you say you "check", what do you mean? Do you look to see what's dropped, or are you physically there when the dino mates?

Because if you are not there when the dino drops then the chocolate has a 2 minute timer before disappearing.

Yes, I get online before I go to work to see if any boxes dropped since I went to bed. Initially I thought they despawned after 2 minutes, see my original post in this thread. But I was corrected that they last 6 hours. Apparently that other player was wrong?

So to get any chance of getting a box 'o chocolates, I have to watch my dinos 24/7, and then get to the box within 2 minutes? If that's how it works it is even more frustrating and more of a waste of time than I imagined.

I have been online 54 hours since the event started. A large fraction of that within our base, and both me and tribemates have been watching the pen with our 43 dodos closely for boxes. We have only found a total of 10 boxes, all of them upon logging in to the game. I have only managed to get 2 myself so far. One time I saw one on logging in and it despawned before I could get to it, and a second time, I saw 4, but 3 despawned when I picked up the first one. Today alone, I've been online for nearly 12 hours, and haven't seen a single box of chocolates.

This event is either very poorly explained or the math is off.

We have had 42 females + 1 male dodo mating for the entire duration of the event. Grand total: 10 boxes for 6 people. About a 1.5% drop rate.

This has been a very frustrating week, this was not a fun event at all.

I said I was disappointed when I read the initial announcement with the 5% drop chance. I am still disappointed.

We ended up using admincheat to get everyone 15 boxes of chocolate. (we run a private server). But that's not how we want to play the game. But after a week all six of us were very fed up with this frustrating event. We were also tired of the noise of 43 dodo's on wander in the middle of our base. They are still there, but we will have a big party killing them tomorrow, which will be the only thing "fun" about this whole experience.

If I have been doing it totally wrong, then the original announcement is not clear, and nobody bothered to tell me in this thread or elsewhere on this forum. I have made many posts about it, mainly in this thread as I was getting more and more frustrated with this whole thing. I have done my best to explain how I was trying to do this, in the hope that someone would point out what we were doing wrong.

Edited by CCRogerWilco

2 hours ago, jjfats said:

Love the event.  Would like to see something similar for lets say Mothers Day or Fathers Day.  And don't let the complainers worry you.  They would find a way to complain about a free dino.   Hey Y'all if we didn't have an event you wouldn't get any bonuses think about that when you complain that you don't get enough for an optional event.

The only thing me and my friends want, is to unlock the emotes and hairstyles. We don't care about any of the other stuff in this event, because we've only been playing for 2 months and aren't at the stage where we can breed dinos yet. Maybe if you're a dino breeder, the bonusses were good for you. Maybe if you don't care about the unlocks, you were happy to use a box of chocolate to help tame a dino.

But I'm going to complain. I already thought the 5% drop chance was ridiculous. Apparently someone at Wildcard did as well and the moved it to 10%. With 10% we had a chance. But what we've actually seen in the game is closer to 1.5%

10 minutes ago, Phrobos said:

to bad babies just vanish

I've had the opposite. We had lot's of baby dodo's all over after we restarted the server. They all died in a minute or two, before we could figure out what was happening or what to do. Looks like a server restart makes all fertilized eggs on the ground hatch into babies.

Edited by CCRogerWilco

Just now, CCRogerWilco said:

I've had the opposite. We had lot's of baby dodo's all over after we restarted the server. They all died in a minute or two, before we could figure out what was happening or what to do.

i lost 8 wyvern, 1 rex and 2 gigas.. all just vanished.. 

seems that they bug when going in stasis and lose hp

• Volunteer Moderator
33 minutes ago, CCRogerWilco said:

Yes, I get online before I go to work to see if any boxes dropped since I went to bed. Initially I thought they despawned after 2 minutes, see my original post in this thread. But I was corrected that they last 6 hours. Apparently that other player was wrong?

I saw your other post, maybe the 3 disappeared because they weren't meant to still be there after so long. Yes they spoil in 5 hours, but once dropped they decompose in 2 minutes unless picked up. Maybe if they drop while you are offline the 2 minute decompose doesn't actually happen until you log on. So you may have got the first one just in time but missed the other 3.

So to get any chance of getting a box 'o chocolates, I have to watch my dinos 24/7, and then get to the box within 2 minutes? If that's how it works it is even more frustrating and more of a waste of time than I imagined.

Of course you don't have to watch them 24/7. You just need to do what I did. Set my tames on wander, wait for egg/chocolate to drop, disable wander. Next time I log on there is a good chance the cooldown has expired and I mate them again while i'm there. There's no point leaving them on wander to mate while you are offline. So no, you don't have to watch them 24/7 just watch them when you set them to wander.

I have been online 54 hours since the event started. A large fraction of that within our base, and both me and tribemates have been watching the pen with our 43 dodos closely for boxes. We have only found a total of 10 boxes, all of them upon logging in to the game. I have only managed to get 2 myself so far. One time I saw one on logging in and it despawned before I could get to it, and a second time, I saw 4, but 3 despawned when I picked up the first one. Today alone, I've been online for nearly 12 hours, and haven't seen a single box of chocolates.

I have no idea how long i've played since the event started, but i've dedicated quite a bit of time taming female dodos and mating them all. I started on the day the event started and only just now got my 15th and final chocolate. And my previous answer explained about the despawning, it is probably a case of the 2 minute decompose time started when you logged on. It was silly to have them wandering while you were offline.

This event is either very poorly explained or the math is off.

We have had 42 females + 1 male dodo mating for the entire duration of the event. Grand total: 10 boxes for 6 people. About a 1.5% drop rate.

This has been a very frustrating week, this was not a fun event at all.

I said I was disappointed when I read the initial announcement with the 5% drop chance. I am still disappointed.

The math is not off. It is 10% chance of every mating. You are throwing in probabilities, but at the end of the day you have 90% chance of getting no chocolates on every single mating.

56 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

I saw your other post, maybe the 3 disappeared because they weren't meant to still be there after so long. Yes they spoil in 5 hours, but once dropped they decompose in 2 minutes unless picked up. Maybe if they drop while you are offline the 2 minute decompose doesn't actually happen until you log on. So you may have got the first one just in time but missed the other 3.

Of course you don't have to watch them 24/7. You just need to do what I did. Set my tames on wander, wait for egg/chocolate to drop, disable wander. Next time I log on there is a good chance the cooldown has expired and I mate them again while i'm there. There's no point leaving them on wander to mate while you are offline. So no, you don't have to watch them 24/7 just watch them when you set them to wander.

I have no idea how long i've played since the event started, but i've dedicated quite a bit of time taming female dodos and mating them all. I started on the day the event started and only just now got my 15th and final chocolate. And my previous answer explained about the despawning, it is probably a case of the 2 minute decompose time started when you logged on. It was silly to have them wandering while you were offline.

The math is not off. It is 10% chance of every mating. You are throwing in probabilities, but at the end of the day you have 90% chance of getting no chocolates on every single mating.

That's the first response and explanation that actually makes any sense. It would have been really useful to know this on the first day of the event instead of the last day. I want to thank you for taking the time to finally explain this. So far everyone just told me I was lazy.

Me and my friends could not figure this out by ourselves from the wiki, steam forums, and the v-day threads on this forum. I still think that a contributing factor was that the Mac client was on patch 254.89 for the first 3-4 days, when I spent most of my time trying to figure out how this worked. I'm still guessing that the event didn't work properly on that version, helping me to draw incorrect conclusions.

It still sounds like an incredible chore. But would I have done it like you described, and had the Mac client actually been updated, then I might actually have gotten a better result and be a lot less frustrated and angry.

Edited by CCRogerWilco

1 hour ago, Phrobos said:

i lost 8 wyvern, 1 rex and 2 gigas.. all just vanished.. 

seems that they bug when going in stasis and lose hp

The whole bug forum is full of people losing babies. It seems that they don't eat since this patch, especially wyverns and troodons. Or get hurt or something.

I don't do any mating or breeding, so I don't know.

This was a total busy for all four of our tribe members. We have about 20 breeding females now, and not one of us ever saw one single box of chocolates. We googled it yesterday to even see what they looked like.

It's a shame to screw up a new feature like hairstyles (which already have very limited choices) with an event that few if any can complete. A holiday event should have an obtainable award, not something astronomically unobtainable.

The only benefit was the increased breeding rate for us, and we can do that ourselves manually on the server.

To make up for this, the odds should increased, and the event should be extended till the end of the month. Our tribe is so disgruntled about this that no one even wants to attempt any other event participation.

So much excitement, and so much disappointment.

Do the box of chocolates disappear after the event?

It says I have them in the fridge for 24days, and was going to save them for big tames after my breeding chocolate hunt frenzy , Please let me know, Otherwise I will just have wasted a ton of time to collecting as much chocolates as I can  for them to disappear before the spoil time run outs, , If this is the case, Hey why don't you lead out with that , All chocolates disappear after event is over, That would be nice,

• Volunteer Moderator
12 minutes ago, DNEDAED said:

Do the box of chocolates disappear after the event?

It says I have them in the fridge for 24days, and was going to save them for big tames after my breeding chocolate hunt frenzy , Please let me know, Otherwise I will just have wasted a ton of time to collecting as much chocolates as I can  for them to disappear before the spoil time run outs, , If this is the case, Hey why don't you lead out with that , All chocolates disappear after event is over, That would be nice,

I believe they are likely to disappear as I think that is what happened last year.

On 2017-02-16 at 7:49 PM, Pimpn3z3117 said:

True but solo players and or people with no time to tame will not be abole to get one unless they buy it from someone level 20 take 1hr 30 min personly i will not stay around to tame that low of a level and gali they take forever as well

Sounds like you need to play on your own server. If you don't "have time" to tame dino's. Official servers are no good to you. 

I know the event at least for PS4 is extended to the 22nd. due to the late update and maybe other just awesome reasons, Either way, What is Wildcards time line on end time when they stat the 22nd, Is it the morning of? the end of the day. and what Time zone?, I want to use all my chocolates up on tames, Highlight was a 150 Bronto 1/2 kibble rest chocolate, about 30 min 99%+ tame  LOL I am in heaven.

So again Please What is Wildcards time line on end time when they state the 22nd, Is it the morning of? the end of the day. and what Time zone?