Tusoteuthis and Black Pearls

PsychicShark101

So, I solo tamed myself a 145 squid. I think it is quite the accomplishment being I play Xbox and lagging doesn't with this colossal beast, but that beside the point.

So after the hour and a half tame, I am now down ~350 pearls but up a 217 powerhouse of a squid. I decided to go out a farm the islands resident wild squid to restock my Black Pearl box.

I noticed that unlike my Mosasaur the squid has never had the wild squid rewards transfer to my inventory thanks to the Victim Item Collection function. Normally this wouldn't be a problem since you can just hop off and check the dead squid's inventory.

Now this is where my issue comes to light. The way the tamed squid attacks (multiple hits per action) tends to cause the dead squid to be mined in the same attack action it was killed forfeiting all pearls, oil, absorbant substrate and tentacle trophies.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I've been having fun on my squid and it is nice to show it off to my service since its the first and only squid at the moment. I would like to continue using it for the time being but being unable to farm up black pearls is putting a damper on my island laps on the squid.

1 hour ago, TheInverse said:

There's no limits on inventory slots, it would still pick the stuff up. I've had issues with my squid doing the same thing. Not sure how to fix it. :/

I am 100% sure there is a limit. It happened to me 2 times that I lost pearls on my Mosa because it was full with Flaregun skins and Prime meat, yet nowhere near the weight limit.

I found this about that:

Apparently it's 300 slots.

There's seriously an item slot limit? Guess I've never gotten close to 300, never had that problem.

6 hours ago, DmpTrkDrvr said:

Quick question     Does it not drop a satchel after you harvest it like argy's and alpha's do. .  Seems that if it had inventory and you harvest the animal the inventory should spawn a brown sack..  ? . 

For some reason, it doesn't do that with the squid. I don't know if its the squid, or if its an underwater thing.

7 hours ago, PsychicShark101 said:

No its not full. i knew about the 300 slot limit because of giga meat runs. So before i pick a fight a squid or sea alpha i cleared all useless pick up clutter and all but 1000 fish meat...so far of the dozen squid ive killed only one has actually given me the pearls on death

What's your squids weight? Dinos won't auto collect items from victims if they are more than 50% encumbered. 

1 hour ago, TheInverse said:

There's seriously an item slot limit? Guess I've never gotten close to 300, never had that problem.

For some reason, it doesn't do that with the squid. I don't know if its the squid, or if its an underwater thing.

Yes, there's an item slot limit on absolutely every thing in the game that can have items in their inventory. It is 300. If you reach that limit, you will be unable to pick up/harvest anything until you drop below that limit (However you will still harvest bodies).

As far as the Squid, and water caches;

They do drop bags, however, they can't be too high in the water. If you can, always kill things that you want to loot near the bottom of the ocean, as they will then drop the bag. Similar to things high in the air, if you kill them and harvest the body, the game can't "Predict" where to place the bag/cache, and thus just deletes it (Though at one point the caches would actually appear at 50/50/50, but I believe this has been patched).

7 hours ago, DmpTrkDrvr said:

Quick question     Does it not drop a satchel after you harvest it like argy's and alpha's do. .  Seems that if it had inventory and you harvest the animal the inventory should spawn a brown sack..  ? . 

Yes they do drop a bag filled with their black pearls and such if you dont harvest them when you eat the squid happened to me once not sure why, maybe my mosa was full but I frantically swam over and took the bag 

2 hours ago, psychosaurus409 said:

Yes they do drop a bag filled with their black pearls and such if you dont harvest them when you eat the squid happened to me once not sure why, maybe my mosa was full but I frantically swam over and took the bag 

I have yet to see a bag drop from any underwater dino be it squids, alpha squids or alpha mosas

Archived