Let's discuss the deep ocean

Ocro

For those of you who have played ARK for a long time, you will remember a time when the only pearls available were in the deep ocean.  You'll remember a time when there was no oil on land.  Back in those days, the only way to get a hold of these resources was by going into the deep ocean.  This was very risky.  Since then, they have released the snow biome, with oil on the surface.  They have released various dinos which, when tamed, will provide oil.  They have also released many more creatures that make the deep ocean an even more dangerous place.

With the above thoughts in mind, I'd like to ask some simple questions: Should the deep ocean have a better variety of resources?  Metal?  Obsidian?  What about black pearls?  Should black pearls be more widely available?

My opinion: While it's true that Wildcard has released a lot of cool (and scary) deep ocean creatures, I believe they have neglected the reward factor enough to make the deep ocean not worth visiting.  Knowing that underwater bases are just around the corner, I am very much in favor of adding a generous number of metal nodes and obsidian nodes to the bottom of the sea.  It is also a little unsettling that the only place to farm black pearls reliably is the caverns of lost hope, an area that could easily be blocked off by an alpha tribe.  Therefore, I believe it would be acceptable to either add black pearl nodes, or make eurypterids more common.

tl;dr: I don't think the deep ocean offers enough reward for braving it.  I believe there should be more resources in both quantity and variety, but you're welcome to offer your opinion here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I'm terrified of the ocean in Ark, and go out of my way to avoid it at all costs; I don't even like swimming rivers. There is pretty much nothing in Ark that makes it worth it for me to get over my fear and go for a swim except the potential tames, and while I love the idea of having a Megla, Ithy, Mosa, etc...if I get them, I'll probably hardly ever use them. If there were more reasons for me to go into the ocean, then I'd be forced to do so- as it stands, there is very little reason for me to brave it. 

I hate swimming in RL. Don't like doing it in this game. Never have liked going underwater in any game. As far as I am concerned the ocean is full of garbage. Nothing worth going into it. I remember when the worst thing to find down there was plesios. Then the mosa came out. Last thing I tamed in the water was a dunky. Slow... annoying and just took forever. I was down there looking for oil, thought I had gone a long way... Nope. I was about 10 points east of the water pen when I came up to see where I was. The oil I got... 80 oil. I could get more from the snow in half the time.

2 hours ago, Ocro said:

For those of you who have played ARK for a long time, you will remember a time when the only pearls available were in the deep ocean.  You'll remember a time when there was no oil on land.  Back in those days, the only way to get a hold of these resources was by going into the deep ocean.  This was very risky.  Since then, they have released the snow biome, with oil on the surface.  They have released various dinos which, when tamed, will provide oil.  They have also released many more creatures that make the deep ocean an even more dangerous place.

With the above thoughts in mind, I'd like to ask some simple questions: Should the deep ocean have a better variety of resources?  Metal?  Obsidian?  What about black pearls?  Should black pearls be more widely available?

My opinion: While it's true that Wildcard has released a lot of cool (and scary) deep ocean creatures, I believe they have neglected the reward factor enough to make the deep ocean not worth visiting.  Knowing that underwater bases are just around the corner, I am very much in favor of adding a generous number of metal nodes and obsidian nodes to the bottom of the sea.  It is also a little unsettling that the only place to farm black pearls reliably is the caverns of lost hope, an area that could easily be blocked off by an alpha tribe.  Therefore, I believe it would be acceptable to either add black pearl nodes, or make eurypterids more common.

tl;dr: I don't think the deep ocean offers enough reward for braving it.  I believe there should be more resources in both quantity and variety, but you're welcome to offer your opinion here.

The ocean is the reason you need to get to level 80. Then you can start getting all the deep sea loot crates and get the good stuff.  The ascendant stuff is where it's at :-)

17 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

The ocean is the reason you need to get to level 80. Then you can start getting all the deep sea loot crates and get the good stuff.  The ascendant stuff is where it's at :-)

Oh yeah I forgot to talk about the deep sea loot crates.  I agree, they are nice, but justifying the overall lack of resources by calling out the deep sea loot crates is the same as calling the deep ocean a cave.  It is not a cave.  It's an entire world and it should be updated as such.

I agree fully that there should be resources like metal, obsidian and black pearls, deep sea loot crates don't show up enough imo, I traded someone for a high level megalodon so I could maybe brave the ocean and try to get over my crippling fear of it, before that I had a low level megalodon and I would run back to shore and hide in my base whenever I saw a mosa or tuso, I understand that they couldn't get me on land but I just wanted to curl up in the fetal position anyway. When I finally mustered up enough courage to go into the water long enough to find a loot drop I went to each location on the map twice and only found 1 drop in the two hours it took

TL;DR; want more resources in ocean, ocean turns me into a crying child, went in there once, found 1 loot drop in 2 hours, never going in again

I love the ocean. I killed two alpha mosasaur yesterday and got jm cloth armor from both. On the way home I spotted a 150 alpha squid. 

Then the nope came flooding in and I swam for my life. I like how they added survival to a survival game. :)

To answer your question, black pearls are end game resources. I don't think they should have nodes. Just kill alpha mosasaur. As far as metal, I could live with there being more nodes underwater. 

3 hours ago, mleii said:

Also for those who like or dislike the oceans, prepare for this if you can. :)  They really have to fix the scuba gear bug on crash/dc issue though for any ocean travels for sure.

This made my day, thank you so much for sharing that.  I can't wait to go EVEN DEEPER.  I just hope they add more resources to compensate for the high risk.  Tek caves look promising right off the bat, but I'd like to know more about them before I make final judgment.

Bah, dunkles are great for gathering oil. You just have to level them for it. First, you want at least 150 move speed. Secondly, raise stamina to 1500-1800. Then pump the rest into weight. They are very tanky, and most good ones will pop with around 300 percent melee when tamed. With a base damage of 60, pretty good damage. We filled a vault with oil in no time.

1 hour ago, Ocro said:

This made my day, thank you so much for sharing that.  I can't wait to go EVEN DEEPER.  I just hope they add more resources to compensate for the high risk.  Tek caves look promising right off the bat, but I'd like to know more about them before I make final judgment.

It's going to be interesting for us Prim+ players though o.O

On 2/10/2017 at 10:51 AM, clumsynynja said:

I agree. I'm terrified of the ocean in Ark, and go out of my way to avoid it at all costs; I don't even like swimming rivers. There is pretty much nothing in Ark that makes it worth it for me to get over my fear and go for a swim except the potential tames, and while I love the idea of having a Megla, Ithy, Mosa, etc...if I get them, I'll probably hardly ever use them. If there were more reasons for me to go into the ocean, then I'd be forced to do so- as it stands, there is very little reason for me to brave it. 

Underwater bases are coming. Definitely worth going down there for that ?

20 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Underwater bases are coming. Definitely worth going down there for that ?

What worries me is the implication of an element requirement to keep the underwater bases full of air.  Element is so rare, it won't even be worth using it to power an underwater base for 12 hours and then have to kill a boss again.  I hope that we can either use gas or Wildcard makes element more common.

Archived