HOW do you tame a plesio/mosasaur?

MayonnaisePlease

Just curious to see your methods as to how you knock one of these guys out, a friend and I spent all day looking for a 130+ Plesi but mostly found 35s. After the plesi we will be taming a mosasaur, just unsure as to how I should approach this, the ocean in ARK scares me especially with the tusoteuthis around! :Jerbcry:

Get 800+ Oxygen and Flippers so you can outswim everything in the Ocean. Get a Scuba mask and pants so you don't die from cold. Get a tank or Lazarus. Get a good Crossbow and Tranq arrows.

For Plesio swim away from them, turn around, shoot them, repeat. (You can only outswim them when you swim forwards. They will get you if you swim backwards). If they lose aggro, chase them and shoot them until they start to chase you again.

For Mosa swim slightly above the area they go up to and shoot them. Go down into their attack range when they lose aggro. When they start to flee because of 75% torpor, chase them and keep shooting.

You can practice in Singleplayer, but for me 900 Oxygen seems to be the key to being safe in water.

I tamed 3 high Mosas already by just being able to outswim them. And let's face it: Making 2 Mindwipes is so much better than building some underwater cages, spending time and ressources on basically the same outcome.

1st plessi I tamed was somewhat by accident. Was in full scuba gear riding my ichy stopped for a sec then the battle music started. I was being tailed by a 145 plessi. Solo, which is lucky as they like to travel in pairs. Lucky for me I was near some underwater rock formations with one having a space just large enough for my ichy but not the plessi to pass under. Hopped off the ichy and tranqed him :)

Lost him last week to a squid that pushed us under the map, we couldn't fight back and we died :(

When I find another I know there is a certain elevation they will not go above. I'll agro him then find that elevation then tranq him.

I create a pretty big stone box with walls and ceilings.  Inside the box, about 2/3rds of the way in, I build a wall of doorframe and a small dino gateway.  I agro the mosa, swim it into the box, swim my dino through the small gate. I will have a friend shut the outside behemoth gate. Than, fire away and nothing will interrupt you. 

Bunch of land lubbers here eh? Plesios are pretty easy, take a frog or  a sarco lure the one you want to a 'small entrance' type cave (usually have two small entrances to it) is the most common approach but with the ability to shoot from the back of many smaller dinos (such as frogs and sarcos) you can easily tame them pretty much anywhere you please just watch out for jellyfish and mantas. Both frogs and sarcos can ascend and descend fast enough to avoid any major damage from plesios while being fast enough to keep track of them when they flee.

Mosas are essentially the same but due to their rapid torpor drop, lower depth ceiling and the added danger of tusos your probably better off with the trap approach mentioned by others, however the same idea works if you lure the mosa away from more hostile areas.

59 minutes ago, JonnyThunder7428 said:

If you dont have a squid, the turning radius of the mosa is horrible. just take a good crossbow and shoot him in the ass while he is swimming around you in a circle.

Yup, that's what I did. Just follow their tail and shoot them, but be aware of your stamina! Maybe keep 2 Megalodons (1 on passive, 1 on neutral that follows the passive one) in the area near the surface where the Mosa won't follow you anymore.

Archived