Now for the mounts you hate!

Mcsexy

Ok for me its T Rex, but not because of the actually dino itself...let me explain.  T Rex is a favorite of mine, but there are two big glaring things I hate about it.  

First and formost this dino is WAY TOO COMMON.  For this guy being an almost legendary dino I've been on playthroughs were I see more Rexes than Brontos!  This doesn't mean I hate the rex itself but when the average tribe has 5 to 8 of them at a time, it really takes away from how great this guy is.  If WC would tweek the spawn rates a bit I think it would actually benefit the Rex returning him to an almost legendary status.

Secondly, this dino is one of the easiest dinos to tame!  All you have to do is kite him and get him stuck between some boulders and you have him.  On PvE I tamed a rex at level 30 on foot using a basic crossbow using this method, for example.  Also this guy is comparable to many of the large herbivores in that he loves to sleep, not much effort is needed to keep him knocked out.  If anything I figured he'd be more like a giga, awaking up ASAP to come after you.  So I hate the Rex but not because of the creature itself but on just how common and easy it is to acquire it.  To me this takes away from the awesomeness that Rex represents.

12 hours ago, iAmE said:

I certainly don't care for the utility of an all-terrain mount. For the simple reason that I haven't yet encountered a single aspect of the game where it's actually advantage.

I acknowledge that it's an advantage, but I hate the fact that they never made it a relevant part of the game at any point in time.

the spino is pretty good for hit and run strikes against rival tribe's foraging/taming parties, particularly on the center. I also prefer it for alpha hunting, can quickly cover the whole map, kills a little faster than a rex, longer reach attack and better knockback so it takes less damage than a rex, and if you fight by water it always has a retreat option should you bite off more than you can chew.

6 hours ago, gfan84 said:

Ok for me its T Rex, but not because of the actually dino itself...let me explain.  T Rex is a favorite of mine, but there are two big glaring things I hate about it.  

First and formost this dino is WAY TOO COMMON.  For this guy being an almost legendary dino I've been on playthroughs were I see more Rexes than Brontos!  This doesn't mean I hate the rex itself but when the average tribe has 5 to 8 of them at a time, it really takes away from how great this guy is.  If WC would tweek the spawn rates a bit I think it would actually benefit the Rex returning him to an almost legendary status.

Secondly, this dino is one of the easiest dinos to tame!  All you have to do is kite him and get him stuck between some boulders and you have him.  On PvE I tamed a rex at level 30 on foot using a basic crossbow using this method, for example.  Also this guy is comparable to many of the large herbivores in that he loves to sleep, not much effort is needed to keep him knocked out.  If anything I figured he'd be more like a giga, awaking up ASAP to come after you.  So I hate the Rex but not because of the creature itself but on just how common and easy it is to acquire it.  To me this takes away from the awesomeness that Rex represents.

Unfortunately there's someone at Wildcard who just doesn't want us looking at the Rex as that legendary beast. More like the Rex from JP3 or the ones from Peter Jackson's King Kong...

7 hours ago, gfan84 said:

Great post.  I agree.  When I first started my sp game I didn't see on for a long time.  And I started on the north eastern most place on the island.  But after I found the first one they are all over. Rex is now just like anything els on the island.   In fact I see more Rex then raptors 

19 hours ago, Mcsexy said:

Weird. I can't say iv ever had that problem

I'm getting it too,my argents are consuming 6 or 7 meat just as i take off on it,then large chunks during the journey.Its ridiculous,now when i want to go anywhere on it i need to jump on my meat hunter and fill the argent with 30 - 40 stacks of meat to go on a single carbon run(cause,loner like me can't get quetz)I'm on prim+ mainly if it has any relevance.

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Unfortunately there's someone at Wildcard who just doesn't want us looking at the Rex as that legendary beast. More like the Rex from JP3 or the ones from Peter Jackson's King Kong...

Sadly I have to agree with that, I honestly feel that Rex now suffers from over use and too common of a dino.  It seems to get worse with the new dinos added in.  When I first got this game on PS4 I stayed around the south beach area on SP, and I didn't get to see a Rex until lvl 70 when I finally confident in venturing out.  Now I started a brand new SP and Rexes are spawning in the south area too.  Like I said way too common.

1 hour ago, gfan84 said:

Sadly I have to agree with that, I honestly feel that Rex now suffers from over use and too common of a dino.  It seems to get worse with the new dinos added in.  When I first got this game on PS4 I stayed around the south beach area on SP, and I didn't get to see a Rex until lvl 70 when I finally confident in venturing out.  Now I started a brand new SP and Rexes are spawning in the south area too.  Like I said way too common.

Agree

I like the terrestrial nature of the arguments, but I believe a change of terrain is good for arguments. I present, the limited world of water in ARK.

Icthyosaurus - I actually like this dino, because it's the only water dino that I personally know of that lets you USE YOUR GPS & MAP AT THE SAME TIME!! Plesis, Mosas, Tusos, none of the big creatures let you do that while in 1st person! I dislike it, because it's so easily killed by everything in the water. Got a couple of pissed off Mantas or Megapihranas that made it out into deeper waters? So long tame!! Icthys need a health buff.

Speed & forgotten utility come at the cost of it's health & almost entirely defenseless nature.

Plesiosaur - Of the bigger sea creatures, they're actually quite fast, faster even than most Mosas (tamed ones that is) but they're just incapable of holding their own against any of the real threats in the ocean. Mosas tear them apart, and I've had instances where other Plesis would group up & cluster you into groups of Mantas or Angler fish just to be really damned annoying.

Speed is it's trade-off for strength & power.

Angler Fish - I remember seeing pictures of these creatures in school and thinking, man these things are freaking cool. A fish with it's own light source at the very bottom of the ocean depths that traps other fish for food, clever! Unfortunately, this game's angler is anything but. While it is saddle-less, it's not very strong, and like the Icthy, it doesn't have the health to defend itself against real threats, and unlike the Icthy, which could be seen as a sort of surface-dino, the intention for anglers is oriented very much-so in the deep sea.

Their saving grace is that they look cool in water pens & illuminate the area. Otherwise, do yourself a favor & kill them for the game's longest lasting fuel source or a cool light source for your standing torches. Don't waste your Penguin / Kairuku eggs.

I really don't want to, as I really love crocs, but I detest the Sarco. Just horrible, horrible mounts to use. Terrible turning circle, infuriating attack aoe, low damage, low health, absolutely useless in any sort of aquatic fight. Not even worth it just for transport as there are so many better options available. I have a pair of 150's sitting in the Obelisk from when my last server had to close down, and they're the only dinos from my painstakingly assembled 150 collection that I haven't bothered downloading now that I have my own server, because I know I'll never use them for anything, ever. Not even eggs as I already have a pair of 150 kibble tamed Stegos. I downloaded the 150 Parasaurs, Trikes, and Megaloceros, but not the Sarco's. That should tell you everything about how I feel about them.

I also really don't like Mosa's, but they're at least good at what they should be good at, tanking and chomping, even though they are horrible to use.

Oh, and whilst I'm at it I really don't get all the love for Dire Bears. I stowed my 150 bear into the Obelisk as soon as I tamed a level 10 Therizino. Only ever used him begrudgingly for fiber because using my sickle makes me feel queasy, and what he could do in half an hour that Theri could do in ten minutes, and my new 145 crop tamed one that I got just tonight can do it in two!

13 hours ago, Bogger said:

I'm getting it too,my argents are consuming 6 or 7 meat just as i take off on it,then large chunks during the journey.Its ridiculous,now when i want to go anywhere on it i need to jump on my meat hunter and fill the argent with 30 - 40 stacks of meat to go on a single carbon run(cause,loner like me can't get quetz)I'm on prim+ mainly if it has any relevance.

Yep that's exactly what's happening to me

I'm on prim(not +) so maybe it's a ptimitive issue?

Mounts that i hate are those that are either plain bad at everything(parasaurus, im looking at you). Or those that just ruin my gameplay due to their suckiness. Without further ado i present:

1. The Sarcosuchus.

This is poop. On paper its moderately bad, 400 base health is like ... Thats medium sized critter health. Carno, bary or 70hp above direwolf to put in into perspective. But thats ok, its amphibian and amazingly fast in the water. What KILLs this creature is its turning radius and inability to defend itself even against a lone megapiranhia. This is the kind of critter that you park for a second in water to mine a node, and that then flashes over your screen in a red "XY has been embarassingly killed by a level 3 megapiranhia(LOL)"-message. You try being clever and park it on land and it gets eaten by either a meganeura or a ant. Because its can't fight back. Lets not even bring up how it handles in the water, swimming these huge circles to bring a creature infront of it just for the critter slinking ever so slowly to your flank ... ugh.

The only thing in its favour is how easy it is to kill or tame, and even then its a waste of time.

2. The Stegosaurus.

This ... thing ... has about the lowest domesticated sprinting speed of all rideable creatures in ark(yes, its slower than a turtle). Why i emphasize domesticated? Because its domesticated sprint speed is 35% of its wild sprint speed, which then gets an additive 70% bonus so your tame starts at 170% of that 35% speed. Which is not only slow, it also ensures that you can't fix its speed by putting points in its speed stat since they will only ever affect its 35% base. Thats called adding insult to injury btw. I'd say its otherwise pretty fine, but thats useless since moving is kinda the fundament of every kind of mount.

3. The Birdies.

Yes all of them. I don't like them. Because they are too good statwise(everything from damage, hp to weight), while at the same time avoiding every game mechanical problem landbased dinos have, like getting stuck on rocks or trees or having to worry about predators. Every time i use them it completely ruins everything survival about this game. Nothing is a threat, not even a giga. Lure a wild giga into the ocean to drown? No problemo. Doing a metal run at night in a loincloth without a torch? Sure why not. Need crystal thats halfway across the map, or get some pearls from the northern coast, easy peasey.

I kid you not, they trivialise the game to the point that once you have a couple good birds the PVE part of the game is over. You can built whatever you want where ever you want. A quetz can transport the parts for an entire base, a large one with pens for brontos and stuff.

4. The Giga and Titano.

The cool thing about ark is the scary bad dinos becoming your loyal friends through taming. The giga will eat your face if its stubs its toe and the Titano is on a permanent hungerstrike and screw the level system. Also i dislike any dino that changes too much from wild to tamed. It breaks the 4th wall for me. Also stats should be reasonable and in line with the physical representation of creatures. 80 times the HP from a rex to a giga? Yeah, whatever, i can add zero's too. Rex is 8/10, Giga is 8/1000.

Para and stego is a shame.  I like both of them except every thing about them in ark ha.  The sarco though I enjoyd to a point.  I got one early on in my sp.  couldn't hit any thing with it but it was the only thing I had for water and for whatever reason the one I tamed was ridiculously fast. i agree with the birds but I also love mine.  Hera my argent is prob my fave mount.  But it should be much more difficult to take birds cuz once you have them the survival part gets much easier.    Good post

59 minutes ago, Enfamous03 said:

It's going to sound silly but I hate Carnos,  PERIOD!!! Those bullies used to kill me constantly when I was new so I've always had a grudge against them. I refuse to tame them and always gun for them when I see em. That's my rant ?

Right!  Early on in my sp game the Carno was a Dino to fear!  I was going to tame the beast that killed me but then I got eaten by my first pack of allos and I fell in love :)  

All that have low weight, having to put away EVERYTHING you have on you just to ride it is annoying. Even more so when it's something that isn't a "starter tame", at least if it was something you'd tame right at the start I could understand it.

Hoping the inventory system and/or the weights will be updated in the future.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:06 AM, Mcsexy said:

My issue with titanoboa is that you've got the largest know (I think) constrictor THAT DOESNT CONSTRICT.  It just bites as far as I know. That thing should wrap around a player and kill very quickly. Or at the very least bite and hang on to make the player not be able to move and continually do dmg.   Idk why it bothers me but it does 

I raise snakes IRL and boas specifically... THEY ARE NOT VENOMOUS nor do they have frills. FURTHERMORE they are patterned after ball pythons. AND LAY EGGS... BOAS GIVE LIVE BIRTH DEVS WHY DO YOU HATE ME

On 2/10/2017 at 6:43 PM, Bogger said:

Sarcos have a similar problem when attacking while swimming takes about 500 form their food stat I.e like 10 pieces of meat

1 hour ago, Jostabeere said:

Arctodus dirus

Its i massive nit pick i know but you dont call the T.rex the T.dominum or the megalodon the ultramegalodon just dont like they plastered a made up name onto it rather then just calling it Arctodus, come on these creatures need as many name drops as they can get

1 minute ago, psychosaurus409 said:

Its i massive nit pick i know but you dont call the T.rex the T.dominum or the megalodon the ultramegalodon just dont like they plastered a made up name onto it rather then just calling it Arctodus, come on these creatures need as many name drops as they can get

It's larger and tougher than an Arctodus. And that sorts it into the dire category for me.

Archived