Now for the mounts you hate!

Mcsexy

In my last topic I asked for info on your favorite mounts and Dino's and why.    I got a lot of great feedback and info.  Now I want to hear about the worst mounts you've had.  Did you think a tame would be great then it turned out to be terrible for the role you tamed it for?   Dino's you just hate to have around?  Or maybe a Dino you like but have given up on cuz it dies way to often?  Even the Dinos you just hate in general.   I want to know the bad experiences.  

Example 1.  I've tamed dozens of raptors cuz I think they are cool and they're damn raptors.  Who doesn't like a raptor? But I have given up on taming them cuz, at least when I have them, they die so easily.   Why waist the time.   Only had two I liked and I kept them in my base so they didn't die. 

example 2.  I saw a spino near my new base (place called hidden lake I love it!). So I got on Hera, my argent, landed near it, shot it with trank arrows then flew away when it got close and kept it up till it went down.  Spent all that time taming it and  Lost a "warrior" trike to a Carno that got to close.  It got up I rode it around and I just hate it.  I don't like it.  Idk why I just don't.   I'm probably going to dump it cuz I hate it.

example 3  I hate HATE  those big land bird things.  Idk the name.  They look like the unholy offspring of Big Bird from Sesami street and Freddy Krueger.   Kill me all the time.  

So there it is.  Give me your opinion  of worst mounts, bad mount experiences, or most hated Dinos 

1. Parasaurolophus. I like these creatures, but they have no use as mounts. I wish they did.

2. Mammoth. I love these guys, but they are simply outclassed by the Castoroides.

3. Utahraptor. These guys are weak and have a terrible carry weight. They should be made better. This game does not do them justice!

4. Quetzalcoatlus. These guys are waaay too good at everything I need to do. 

mounts i hate hmm... I got three

The Morellatops or Camelsaurus, Im fine with its stats and its niche (except that tail gets everywhere) its just that...They completly made it up I mean theres at least 5 giant prehistoric camels that could have done its job and need the publicity Camelops, Megatylopus, Titanotylopus, Megacamelus take your pick. or even from a design stand point it could have just have been a Lotosaurus. 

The Areanomorphus or the spider im fine thats its made up as it loosely represents Megarachne former giant prehistoric spider that was later found to be a stocky Eurypterid. The reason i dont like it is its stats nothing is good or even usable, its clear the Areano becoming tamible was an after thought it and barely carry its saddle and a naked survivor even the highest level areanos can bearly break 1000 hp after all its levels used. Its only saving grace is its web shooting ability too bad its useless because the web COLLIDES WITH ITS OWN HITBOX! Even if you somehow manage to web something good lucky catching up to it as the Areano has difficulty keeping pace with fleeing dodos and walking parasaurs as both its speed and its stamina is awful too.

Lastly the Arctodus or the (sigh) Dire bear... This guy... power creep the creature a lot of people have noticed that many creatures are just plain better then others no reason to use Raptors when you have a carno, a Stego is a luxury when the bronto is a thing why use a Megalodon when you have a Mosa... then we got the Dire bear making probably half the creatures on the island obsolete. Gathers berries, does more dmg and is faster then the Trike, Stego, Paracer, Parasaur, Pachyrhino, Diplodocus etc... can do more dmg then the raptor, Carno, Baryonyx, Kapro, Sarco, Megalosaurus, Megalodon etc... and to top it all off it gathers fiber making the harder to tame Giganotopithecus a moot point and lastly... Dire bear who came up with that!? The Dire wolf is actually called that, its name is Canis dirus they just slapped on that name for no good reason be like calling the Megalodon the dire shark or the Sarco the dire crocodile.

8 minutes ago, Shrekasaurus said:

1. Parasaurolophus. I like these creatures, but they have no use as mounts. I wish they did.

2. Mammoth. I love these guys, but they are simply outclassed by the Castoroides.

3. Utahraptor. These guys are weak and have a terrible carry weight. They should be made better. This game does not do them justice!

4. Quetzalcoatlus. These guys are waaay too good at everything I need to do. 

Like the input. Feel the same one the number 1 100%

9 minutes ago, psychosaurus409 said:

The Morellatops or Camelsaurus, Im fine with its stats and its niche (except that tail gets everywhere) its just that...They completly made it up I mean theres at least 5 giant prehistoric camels that could have done its job and need the publicity Camelops, Megatylopus, Titanotylopus, Megacamelus take your pick. or even from a design stand point it could have just have been a Lotosaurus. 

The Areanomorphus or the spider im fine thats its made up as it loosely represents Megarachne former giant prehistoric spider that was later found to be a stocky Eurypterid. The reason i dont like it is its stats nothing is good or even usable, its clear the Areano becoming tamible was an after thought it and barely carry its saddle and a naked survivor even the highest level areanos can bearly break 1000 hp after all its levels used. Its only saving grace is its web shooting ability too bad its useless because the web COLLIDES WITH ITS OWN HITBOX! Even if you somehow manage to web something good lucky catching up to it as the Areano has difficulty keeping pace with fleeing dodos and walking parasaurs as both its speed and its stamina is awful too.

Lastly the Arctodus or the (sigh) Dire bear... This guy... power creep the creature a lot of people have noticed that many creatures are just plain better then others no reason to use Raptors when you have a carno, a Stego is a luxury when the bronto is a thing why use a Megalodon when you have a Mosa... then we got the Dire bear making probably half the creatures on the island obsolete. Gathers berries, does more dmg and is faster then the Trike, Stego, Paracer, Parasaur, Pachyrhino, Diplodocus etc... can do more dmg then the raptor, Carno, Baryonyx, Kapro, Sarco, Megalosaurus, Megalodon etc... and to top it all off it gathers fiber making the harder to tame Giganotopithecus a moot point and lastly... Dire bear who came up with that!? The Dire wolf is actually called that, its name is Canis dirus they just slapped on that name for no good reason be like calling the Megalodon the dire shark or the Sarco the dire crocodile.

Love the rant! Gave great reasons for your most hated pick too!  almost surprised you left out  titanaboa :D 

26 minutes ago, psychosaurus409 said:

I never really understood why people think the Bear makes the Ape moot, when the Ape gathers fiber automatically.

If anything, the Ape makes the Dire Bear moot, because why would I *ever* tame a mount whose only real purpose is gathering fiber (Because, let's be honest, Gardens made using any dino for berry generation obsolete). when I can tame an ape that generates 18k Fiber an hour, without me even needing to touch it?

Besides, even if I wanted to gather Fiber, the Chicken-rex (Therizino), can gather about 500 pounds of the stuff in under five minutes.

If I had to name a Dino(s) that I hate;

Spino/Sarco; They serve literally no purpose. Anyone with the means to tame either of these dinos, can easily tame an Itchy, or possibly even a Plesi, with less effort. Their amphibious nature is nearly useless because there's no real situation where it's an actual boon.

Titanosaur/Giga; As a PvP player, these dinos are somewhat paradoxical. These dinos are supposed to be "Siege" dinos. Except if too many dinos or turrets are hitting the dino, they bug out and do 0 damage to anything.

Quetzal; Does too much, and is nearly impossible to tame solo. A huge gate that needs to die, as it makes solo or small tribe play so incredibly difficult when so much content is based around Quetz' existing.

I have one that sits above all others- the Giga. 

1) the constant nerfing makes it stupidly useless

2) OH GOD I STUBBED MY TOE I HAD BETTER EAT MY OWNER AND RAGE ABOUT LIKE A LOON

3) Size is atrocious for the little damage it does- no really its that big that bugger should be able to sneeze on a house and knock it down

4) rarely a good color scheme- they all look like baby vomit for the most part

5) The head turn that will pin down a quetz- actually head turn in general makes me hate a lot- it is pointless other than to aggravate "OH HI MASTER I SEE YOU ARE TRYING TO BE PRODUCTIVE LET ME LOOK AT YOU AND PREVENT YOU FROM MOVING HURR HURR" Its bollocks really. 

I'm starting to really hate my Argent (called packhorse)

It's got 900 weight (good)

+3k stam and health (meh)

And 8k food, BUT ALMOST STARVES EVERY TIME I TAKE HER OUT, it's starting to drive me absolutely bloody nuts, if she hasn't got 10 stacks of meat on her and I leave base for more than 10 minutes she starts to drain food quicker than any animal I've ever seen, I've had many agents and never noticed this issue until her 

15 minutes ago, Flaminraptors said:

And 8k food, BUT ALMOST STARVES EVERY TIME I TAKE HER OUT, it's starting to drive me absolutely bloody nuts, if she hasn't got 10 stacks of meat on her and I leave base for more than 10 minutes she starts to drain food quicker than any animal I've ever seen, I've had many agents and never noticed this issue until her 

Weird. I can't say iv ever had that problem

2 hours ago, iAmE said:

I never really understood why people think the Bear makes the Ape moot, when the Ape gathers fiber automatically.

If anything, the Ape makes the Dire Bear moot, because why would I *ever* tame a mount whose only real purpose is gathering fiber (Because, let's be honest, Gardens made using any dino for berry generation obsolete). when I can tame an ape that generates 18k Fiber an hour, without me even needing to touch it?

Besides, even if I wanted to gather Fiber, the Chicken-rex (Therizino), can gather about 500 pounds of the stuff in under five minutes.

If I had to name a Dino(s) that I hate;

Spino/Sarco; They serve literally no purpose. Anyone with the means to tame either of these dinos, can easily tame an Itchy, or possibly even a Plesi, with less effort. Their amphibious nature is nearly useless because there's no real situation where it's an actual boon.

Titanosaur/Giga; As a PvP player, these dinos are somewhat paradoxical. These dinos are supposed to be "Siege" dinos. Except if too many dinos or turrets are hitting the dino, they bug out and do 0 damage to anything.

Quetzal; Does too much, and is nearly impossible to tame solo. A huge gate that needs to die, as it makes solo or small tribe play so incredibly difficult when so much content is based around Quetz' existing.

The Sarco and Spino is far from useless and Ickthy cant defend itself and the Plesio/Mosa need large water pens and are helpless against someone on land you could have a biggest strongest level 270 Mosa but it wont save you if your 3 feet from the water being eaten by Troodons.

They also provide safe travel, a Sarco can slip in and out of water to get away from just about any threat and its faster then a swimming Kapro/Bary and is insanely fun to against people on the beach, no one ever seems to check the water. The Sarcos main niche is probably being if someone doesn't have a water pen and needs to get pearls.

The Spino also provides a nice side grade to the rex faster attacking speed, stamina and turning radius at the cost of health, in fact in most facets the Spino trumps a rex but the rex is still probably better in a say a raid.  

21 minutes ago, psychosaurus409 said:

The Sarco and Spino is far from useless and Ickthy cant defend itself and the Plesio/Mosa need large water pens and are helpless against someone on land you could have a biggest strongest level 270 Mosa but it wont save you if your 3 feet from the water being eaten by Troodons.

They also provide safe travel, a Sarco can slip in and out of water to get away from just about any threat and its faster then a swimming Kapro/Bary and is insanely fun to against people on the beach, no one ever seems to check the water. The Sarcos main niche is probably being if someone doesn't have a water pen and needs to get pearls.

The Spino also provides a nice side grade to the rex faster attacking speed, stamina and turning radius at the cost of health, in fact in most facets the Spino trumps a rex but the rex is still probably better in a say a raid.  

I can safely say that I have never been in a position where I wanted a Spino or a Sarco for "Traveling". If I am at a point where I want Pearls, I have enough mats to make a water pen of some description (They aren't expensive).

As for Spino vs Rex. I can't think of a single time where I'ld want a Rex/Spino where the Spino is better or even competitive with the Rex. Spino does more DPS, but that DPS is marginal to the point of being negligible. The HP on a Rex, combined with the fact that it's so much easier to tame, makes the Spino nearly useless. The "Mobility" advantage of a Spino may exist, but is never actually a thing that makes itself present in any scenario. Same with Stamina differences.

1 hour ago, Vermithrax said:

1) the constant nerfing makes it stupidly useless

The Giga is likewise my most hated dino, but for the exact opposite reason. Even after the nerfs it's base damage is still about the same as the base damage of the arena bosses according to the wiki. After taming bonuses it's melee percentage ends up lower than other dinosaurs, but it's still stupidly overpowered.

3) Size is atrocious for the little damage it does- no really its that big that bugger should be able to sneeze on a house and knock it down

Again, if you want to go by it's in-game size compared to other dinosaurs then at best that would put it roughly on par with a Mosasaurus at 100 base damage, not 400. Yeah... I hate that thing...

As for Spino vs Rex. I can't think of a single time where I'ld want a Rex/Spino where the Spino is better or even competitive with the Rex. Spino does more DPS, but that DPS is marginal to the point of being negligible. The HP on a Rex, combined with the fact that it's so much easier to tame, makes the Spino nearly useless. The "Mobility" advantage of a Spino may exist, but is never actually a thing that makes itself present in any scenario. Same with Stamina differences.

Honestly it sounds like you just don't care for the utility of an all-terrain mount. Which is fine. If all you want is a land-based fighter then Rex is meant to be better in that role. But there are a lot of people who prefer the Spino for it's versatility.

2 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

The Giga is likewise my most hated dino, but for the exact opposite reason. Even after the nerfs it's base damage is still about the same as the base damage of the arena bosses according to the wiki. After taming bonuses it's melee percentage ends up lower than other dinosaurs, but it's still stupidly overpowered.

Again, if you want to go by it's in-game size compared to other dinosaurs then at best that would put it roughly on par with a Mosasaurus at 100 base damage, not 400. Yeah... I hate that thing...

I feel as though its size should be nerfed- truly its just an eyesore for the most part being absolutely obnoxiously big- ALSO i neglected to mention how much i hate to dismount the darn thing. You almost always take damage to dismount it- that shouldnt happen. IF you can spider monkey yourself up there dismounting should be as painless 

7 minutes ago, Vermithrax said:

I feel as though its size should be nerfed- truly its just an eyesore for the most part being absolutely obnoxiously big- ALSO i neglected to mention how much i hate to dismount the darn thing. You almost always take damage to dismount it- that shouldnt happen. IF you can spider monkey yourself up there dismounting should be as painless 

Haha I coudn't agree more.

51 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Honestly it sounds like you just don't care for the utility of an all-terrain mount. Which is fine. If all you want is a land-based fighter then Rex is meant to be better in that role. But there are a lot of people who prefer the Spino for it's versatility.

I certainly don't care for the utility of an all-terrain mount. For the simple reason that I haven't yet encountered a single aspect of the game where it's actually advantage.

I acknowledge that it's an advantage, but I hate the fact that they never made it a relevant part of the game at any point in time.

The itchy...

Sure there's the case for black pearls as the Euph sting doesn't harm it, but trying to get something into it's AOE is borderline insane. And make sure you set it to follow you - if it takes a hit when you dismount, then kiss it good bye. (bye bye Lightning my old 224 Itchy. Don't know where you went for those 5 days before you died, but I hope you had fun...)

I've taken to the megalodon for pearl collection. At least it stands it's ground, and I bring a crossbow should black pearls present an opportunity.

5 hours ago, Flaminraptors said:

This is a bug and I assume by now the devs are aware of it.

I hate gallis because they are awful at turning, have terrible base weight, are so fast that it's difficult to control them, and their noises sound like 2 squeaky boots being rubbed together. They're a crappy version of the roo, and yet they take dimetrodon kibble of all things. Ridiculous.

I hate trikes because that's all you ever tame as a new player. I've started over so many times, especially in singleplayer since old save files no longer work after most updates. In the early days 90% of all the dinos on the map would be trikes. I am so over trikes.

I hate eurypterids because something that small and insignificant should not be able to do so much torpor damage to a freaking shark especially a high level one. They're also extremely difficult to hit with any water dino.

I hate argies for being aggressive to living creatures when they're supposed to be some sort of scavengers or "vultures." They shouldn't go after breathing players and tames. They also aren't useful to me at all, I always go straight from excellent pteras to a quetz.

Pego. Nuff said.

6 hours ago, psychosaurus409 said:

The only problem i have with the titaniboa

My issue with titanoboa is that you've got the largest know (I think) constrictor THAT DOESNT CONSTRICT.  It just bites as far as I know. That thing should wrap around a player and kill very quickly. Or at the very least bite and hang on to make the player not be able to move and continually do dmg.   Idk why it bothers me but it does 

Archived