150 Wild Dino Stats - Garbage

ezwrighter

On Official server, I have knocked out 3 150 rex in the last 2 days on SE and the pre-tame stats have all been completely garbage.  Is there some 150 bug?  The 145s seem pretty average, but much better than all the 150s.  I have like 40 levels not used (speed?) on each of them.

Could there be a 150 bug?  Do I just have terrible luck?  Mainly checking to see if anyone else has experienced this recently.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds just like bad luck. What sort of level are you hoping for pre-tame so we can give more feedback? On a perfect tame you will get around 70 odd levels (some are 73, etc). That is spread among the 7 stats so if maths plays a part, you'll get an average of +10 levels per stat. Anything around the L30 mark pre-tame is pretty decent. If you're aiming for L45 post-tame stats then you really need to be completely taming them. I had one the other day that was L8 in speed pre-tame. I got so excited, but the rest of the stats were spread right out, so nothing special. After I tamed it the dino ended up with L9 in speed. It only got ONE level in speed and ended up with L48 in weight, which is about a 1 in 720 chance.

Looking at a dino pre-tame can give you a 'conservative' estimate but random number generators prove that anything can happen from there. It's a roll of the dice.

1 minute ago, Thalantyr said:

Sounds just like bad luck. What sort of level are you hoping for pre-tame so we can give more feedback? On a perfect tame you will get around 70 odd levels (some are 73, etc). That is spread among the 7 stats so if maths plays a part, you'll get an average of +10 levels per stat. Anything around the L30 mark pre-tame is pretty decent. If you're aiming for L45 post-tame stats then you really need to be completely taming them. I had one the other day that was L8 in speed pre-tame. I got so excited, but the rest of the stats were spread right out, so nothing special. After I tamed it the dino ended up with L9 in speed. It only got ONE level in speed and ended up with L48 in weight, which is about a 1 in 720 chance.

Looking at a dino pre-tame can give you a 'conservative' estimate but random number generators prove that anything can happen from there. It's a roll of the dice.

See, now those are my experiences with 140+ dinos...but I am seeing across the board < L20  with maybe one stat popping above to L22 pretame for my 150s.  That is just garbage!  I am going to try and down a few more 150s this week and see if I get the same, but wanted to place this thread here in case anyone else is seeing specifically 150 tame issues on SE.  BTW, had a 150 wolf that had 1000 HP (L16) and 180 MD too....just utter garbage!

6 minutes ago, bulldog1986 said:

You have 71+ levels that can go just about anywhere with RNG. Pretame means very little considering that, if  you get even 1/3rd of those bonus levels going into a single stat, you're going to be doing just fine.

You are missing my point...the dinos final stats are not really the issue.  The issue is that on average a pretame 150 should have better stats than a 145...I am not seeing this and am curious if there is a bug or extremely bad luck.  I understand how taming works and stats get applied for taming :-D

It's not a bug, man. Bad luck. Level 112/116s and 140/145s have always had a reputation for getting a slightly better roll than the 120s and 150s. A pre-tame 150 should not necessarily have better stats on average than a 145, because as we all know the devs have been nerfing dinos left and right and condensing the the power difference between higher and lower levels of both wild and tamed dinos. It seems to be a common belief that because 150 is the highest, it should be the best. It's not entirely true. The only reason a 150 is definitely better than a lower level is because it starts out with more levels after taming with max taming effectiveness. The whole point of the RNG is that the points can go into anything. It's nothing more than bad luck.

6 minutes ago, Nim said:

It's not a bug, man. Bad luck. Level 112/116s and 140/145s have always had a reputation for getting a slightly better roll than the 120s and 150s. A pre-tame 150 should not necessarily have better stats on average than a 145, because as we all know the devs have been nerfing dinos left and right and condensing the the power difference between higher and lower levels of both wild and tamed dinos. It seems to be a common belief that because 150 is the highest, it should be the best. It's not entirely true. The only reason a 150 is definitely better than a lower level is because it starts out with more levels after taming with max taming effectiveness. The whole point of the RNG is that the points can go into anything. It's nothing more than bad luck.

ok...well, my near term experience is documented somewhat here, so if others run into it, we can compare notes :-D  I was assuming bad luck, but figured I would throw it out to the ark universe for more input. :-D Thanks.

I think it's just bad luck. Sometimes you win big (like my perfect-tame 150 Therizino with 32 levels in Melee), and sometimes you're my friend who got a 104 Rex with 22 levels in Food or a 60 Giga with 4 levels in Melee and 16 in Food. The stat distribution overall follow a bell curve, but obviously stuff can fall anywhere on that curve, so statistically, half the time you'll be on the "crap" side of it, and the other half you'll be on the "win" side

4 hours ago, ezwrighter said:

On Official server, I have knocked out 3 150 rex in the last 2 days on SE and the pre-tame stats have all been completely garbage.  Is there some 150 bug?  The 145s seem pretty average, but much better than all the 150s.  I have like 40 levels not used (speed?) on each of them.

Could there be a 150 bug?  Do I just have terrible luck?  Mainly checking to see if anyone else has experienced this recently.

I  already tamed over 30 high lvl rexes and had none with really good hp / dmg stats. All under 40 points

Could be sample bias but 112/116s and 140/145s have always seemed to beat 120/150s.  Having never formally kept track of the wheat versus the chaffe, I have seen some amazing 150s and horrible 145s, which is counter to the initial observation.  I think what we see here is that 120/150s are pretty rare finds.  I'd argue you find 4x as many 112/116 or 140/145 dinos than you do 120/150 dinos.  There's just a larger pool to sample from in the non-max level world to know for sure that the max level dinos are bugged.

My gut tells me there's a soft cap somewhere or some coding issue bugging out max level dino stats but I have no way of formally proving it.

All that being said congratulate me, tamed out a 145 rex that stood up with 398% melee and 8k health.  Some poo came out.

22 hours ago, ezwrighter said:

You are missing my point...the dinos final stats are not really the issue.  The issue is that on average a pretame 150 should have better stats than a 145...I am not seeing this and am curious if there is a bug or extremely bad luck.  I understand how taming works and stats get applied for taming :-D

150s have better stats tha 145s. They have 5 lvl-ups more.

5 minutes ago, Braybrays said:

You shouldnt judge any dino on its Pre-tame stats mate. They don't mean anything nowadays. Sometime ago you could judge where the stats would go/what you should expect, but now that isn't the case. Scorp eggs aren't even difficult to obtain. Its a long process to get the best stats.

You probably shouldn't, but if you add maths/whatever into the equation then you should always have a better chance of getting a higher stat if you have a higher stat pre-tame. I agree, it's definitely not always the way and RNG will always play its part but we still need to remember that even random number generators have a degree of math / % chance to them.

The other thing that we're missing here is that the devs MAY have easily just slipped any sort of formula in the background and it may not actually even be RNG. We would never know without seeing the source code, which will never happen. I'd be interested to hear their response on what formula they use.

Just now, Thalantyr said:

You probably shouldn't, but if you add maths/whatever into the equation then you should always have a better chance of getting a higher stat if you have a higher stat pre-tame. I agree, it's definitely not always the way and RNG will always play its part but we still need to remember that even random number generators have a degree of math / % chance to them.

The other thing that we're missing here is that the devs MAY have easily just slipped any sort of formula in the background and it may not actually even be RNG. We would never know without seeing the source code, which will never happen. I'd be interested to hear their response on what formula they use.

True that, however I find trying to rely on the stats even a little, can bring disappointment and annoyance to yourself, I personally can gauge how many points are where for certain dinos without even checking a calculator simply from taming/breeding enough of them, it is nice to see the stats NOT all-rounded. I feel the stats tend to have a higher chance of being crap, however that could just be my awful luck. 

Archived