Starve to Tame

Currahee

Ok I've tried searching on this the best I can but always like to hear the definitive answer from those in the know. Are there any other advantages to starving a dino before taming besides less chance of food spoilage? I'm still fairly newb so I do most taming with raw meats or berries anyway. But from everything I've read that seems to be the only advantage to starving one out first.

At one point, if a tame took a hit whilst it was knocked out, it would affect the taming efficiency. So many people would starve tame rather than investing kibble and taking the chance that the tame might be negatively affected later in the taming process.  Health of a knocked out dino no longer affects taming efficiency, so a tame that was about to die when it got knocked out will have the same efficiency of a tame that was knocked out in 1 hit.  Because of this starve taming isn't necessary for the taming efficiency, however, based on the server starve taming is still generally a safer bet.  Certainly on PvP servers and even on PvE, the chance of someone kiting a dino to your knocked out tame or killing it themselves (PvP) is still a consistent threat. Sometimes people are on meat runs and see a bloody animal through the bloodwrath (Redwall anyone?) and start chomping, some people like to kite and see a tame as an easy target, some people like to kill errything.  Because there are a lot of different things that could go wrong even after you knock out a tame, I always starve tame.  Kibble is hard to make, very time intensive to collect all the eggs and especially early on, its a valuable resource.  If I've place 10 kibble into a tame only to have it be killed, that could be a massive loss, especially if you only had the amount of kibble for that lvl tame.  Suddenly you're searching for a lower lvl tame, or you're back to collecting eggs.   Therefore, at least for our tribe it's starve tame unless you absolutely can't. 

44 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

No it doesn't matter at all if you starve it or not. The dino loses its food at the same speed and it needs to eat the same amount of times. So if you, for example, let 50 food go down 10 times or if you starve 500 food, it'll eat 10 times and get the same progress.

Additional info to consider is the statement by jostabeere. Starve taming will still take the same amount of time as regular taming. there is no time benefit, you are either waiting for them to eat the next kibble or you are waiting for them to have enough hunger to eat all the kibble. Either way the taming process will take the same amount of time, the difference is in the potential  for loss of kibble due to an accident in the middle of a tame (death, kiting, waking up, being dumb and punching your tame...etc)

10 minutes ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

At one point, if a tame took a hit whilst it was knocked out, it would affect the taming efficiency. So many people would starve tame rather than investing kibble and taking the chance that the tame might be negatively affected later in the taming process.  Health of a knocked out dino no longer affects taming efficiency, so a tame that was about to die when it got knocked out will have the same efficiency of a tame that was knocked out in 1 hit.  Because of this starve taming isn't necessary for the taming efficiency, however, based on the server starve taming is still generally a safer bet.  Certainly on PvP servers and even on PvE, the chance of someone kiting a dino to your knocked out tame or killing it themselves (PvP) is still a consistent threat. Sometimes people are on meat runs and see a bloody animal through the bloodwrath (Redwall anyone?) and start chomping, some people like to kite and see a tame as an easy target, some people like to kill errything.  Because there are a lot of different things that could go wrong even after you knock out a tame, I always starve tame.  Kibble is hard to make, very time intensive to collect all the eggs and especially early on, its a valuable resource.  If I've place 10 kibble into a tame only to have it be killed, that could be a massive loss, especially if you only had the amount of kibble for that lvl tame.  Suddenly your searching for a lower lvl tame, or your back to collecting eggs.   Therefore, at least for our tribe it's starve tame unless you absolutely can't. 

Just curious why you say health no longer affects taming effectiveness. I haven't noticed that change myself. 

3 minutes ago, scotte93 said:

Just curious why you say health no longer affects taming effectiveness. I haven't noticed that change myself. 

I've seen a few other boards discussing (arguing, eventually devolving into random assortments of naming calling) this change. so im sure you can find some more discussions pertaining to it.  For many of us older players there is still a feeling that health affects taming effectiveness.  We are all paranoid that the older rules may still apply, but the consensus from these discussions is that health of knocked out dino no longer affects taming %.  I've had many tames at this point (wolves obviously:D), knocked out at 145, varying lvls of health loss, all tame out at same lvl depending on tame speed of that weekend (1.5 for xp weekends): tame out lvl is only determined by amount of food consumed. 

Just now, LordWolfBreeder said:

I've seen a few other boards discussing (arguing, eventually devolving into random assortments of naming calling) this change. so im sure you can find some more discussions pertaining to it.  For many of us older players there is still a feeling that health affects taming effectiveness.  We are all paranoid that the older rules may still apply, but the consensus from these discussions is that health of knocked out dino no longer affects taming %.  I've had many tames at this point (wolves obviously:D), knocked out at 145, varying lvls of health loss, all tame out at same lvl depending on tame speed of that weekend (1.5 for xp weekends): tame out lvl is only determined by amount of food consumed. 

Good to know. Would have been nicer to know a couple days ago when we gave up on the 140 spino we were taming cuz it took a load of damage lol 

21 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

@LordWolfBreeder Okay, so you're saying punching a dino that is starving does not decrease the efficiency? Did I get that right?

I think he is saying the initial health does not affect efficiency. Not sure why someone would think it does. I've been playing over a year and it never has.

What as far as I know is still true,  is that any damage done to decrease health after it is knocked out does decrease efficiency. This has also been true since I started playing.

Some examples of things that can damage it after knocked out:

• You do one extra shot after it is knocked out
  • A compy comes up and starts chewing on it
  • You accidentally punch it

If it does take damage, you can force feed meat to heal it and then let it wake up and knock it out again (cage it in somehow). BTW, you can also force feed a tame meat immediately (before it is hungry) and heal it and this will not affect efficiency. You might do this if the health is dangerously low. You can tell that this had no effect by looking at the efficiency before and after you force feed the meat.

23 minutes ago, wildbill said:

I think he is saying the initial health does not affect efficiency. Not sure why someone would think it does. I've been playing over a year and it never has.

What as far as I know is still true,  is that any damage done to decrease health after it is knocked out does decrease efficiency. This has also been true since I started playing.

If it does take damage, you can force feed meat to heal it and then let it wake up and knock it out again (cage it in somehow). BTW, you can also force feed a tame meat immediately (before it is hungry) and heal it and this will not affect efficiency. You might do this if the health is dangerously low. You can tell that this had no effect by looking at the efficiency before and after you force feed the meat.

Nope. what im saying is that damage done to decrease health after it is knocked out no longer decreases efficiency. 

As everybody is still trying to figure out if this be true, I feel like I should go into single player, spawn in some same level wild swag and then knock one out and tame, and then knock out another and keep punching and then tame and see what their efficiency's are.

3 minutes ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

Nope. what im saying is that damage done to decrease health after it is knocked out no longer decreases efficiency. 

As everybody is still trying to figure out if this be true, I feel like I should go into single player, spawn in some same level wild swag and then knock one out and tame, and then knock out another and keep punching and then tame and see what their efficiency's are.

Oh, this must be recent, as I did see the efficiency decrease a few weeks ago. I wonder if this is a bug or intended.

15 minutes ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

I just spawned 2 dinos. Knocked both down. Put Kibble into ones inventory, but punched the other and then put Kibble in his inventory. After one time eating the unpunched had 99.9% efficiency while the punched one had only 60.9% efficiency. Damaging unconcious dinos does decrease the efficiency.

48 minutes ago, wildbill said:

3 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

I just spawned 2 dinos. Knocked both down. Put Kibble into ones inventory, but punched the other and then put Kibble in his inventory. After one time eating the unpunched had 99.9% efficiency while the punched one had only 60.9% efficiency. Damaging unconcious dinos does decrease the efficiency.

Always nice to see acurate info posted.

2 hours ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

At one point, if a tame took a hit whilst it was knocked out, it would affect the taming efficiency. So many people would starve tame rather than investing kibble and taking the chance that the tame might be negatively affected later in the taming process.  Health of a knocked out dino no longer affects taming efficiency, so a tame that was about to die when it got knocked out will have the same efficiency of a tame that was knocked out in 1 hit.  Because of this starve taming isn't necessary for the taming efficiency, however, based on the server starve taming is still generally a safer bet.  Certainly on PvP servers and even on PvE, the chance of someone kiting a dino to your knocked out tame or killing it themselves (PvP) is still a consistent threat. Sometimes people are on meat runs and see a bloody animal through the bloodwrath (Redwall anyone?) and start chomping, some people like to kite and see a tame as an easy target, some people like to kill errything.  Because there are a lot of different things that could go wrong even after you knock out a tame, I always starve tame.  Kibble is hard to make, very time intensive to collect all the eggs and especially early on, its a valuable resource.  If I've place 10 kibble into a tame only to have it be killed, that could be a massive loss, especially if you only had the amount of kibble for that lvl tame.  Suddenly you're searching for a lower lvl tame, or you're back to collecting eggs.   Therefore, at least for our tribe it's starve tame unless you absolutely can't. 

This is the first explanation that actually makes sense to me.  I'd always known that starve taming was a wash in terms of efficiency and time but I never knew if there was ever a legitimate reason for it.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Can confirm, once unconscious a tame will lose efficiency if it is injured during that time. All damage before it falls unconscious does not decrease efficiency. 

Starving your tame is definitely a valid method if you are taming in a very dangerous area, it does not reduce the taming time but does prevent you from wasting valuable kibble.

14 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Yup, this is true, happened to me recently as well. Damage done after the dino is knocked out absolutely does decrease efficiency.

I rarely stay with a dino when I'm trying to tame it and always starve tame. For me, starve taming is more about the time investment rather than the tame taking damage. As an example, if a tame takes 60 minutes using raw prime and I do not starve tame I have to spend the entire 60 minutes collecting prime every few minutes to ensure it's always eating prime.

If I starve tame it for the full 60 minutes I can leave to do other things. Fifty minutes into the tame I return to collect all the prime in one go and save myself a significant time investment. The only reason I return before then is to narc the tame. Many high level tames only need narcing once in that 60 minute time period.

Incase you're wondering - I play PVP and use metal spikes to protect the tame. The only occurrences of a dino I've downed taking damage has been when I've stayed with it.

Archived