Taming Mantis

Dredanox

Heya, 

According to http://www.dododex.com/taming/mantis 

Deathworm horns are the only source of food they will take in order to be tamed. However I do know that they prefer spoiled meat over raw meat to feed them when tamed so it could be in relation to that. In my experience all the mantises i've tamed have been with DW horns, if you're on a multiplayer server then you can probably ask in global to trade for Horns, I know a few players on my server do so.

If i get time to test it however I will as im quite interested haha so I will update if i do :)

Happy hunting

14 hours ago, eswimm said:

They actually prefer spoiled meat to raw as food.  Both work though, they just burn through raw meat faster.

I have to disagree because when I mine metal with my mantis, there are beasties that waste my time, so I end up with a bunch of meat in the inventory of the mantis.  When the food spoils I'm left with large stacks of spoiled meat that are never eaten, but it will eat raw meat immediately after I kill something else.

14 hours ago, Addict said:

Hello . Mantis can only be tamed using deathworm horns. You can feed them spoiled meat after tamed. Taming one its very easy, use bug repelant and they wont aggro. GL

While I agree it's not very difficult, they will still aggro if you get up close enough, even with repellent.  They will also aggro on any vultures or other dinos in the area, so take a wyvern with you, clear out the area around them and stay on the wyvern while you are waiting between feedings.  This way if anything gets close enough you can kill it before the mantis aggros on it.

8 hours ago, PlatinumCore16 said:

I have to disagree because when I mine metal with my mantis, there are beasties that waste my time, so I end up with a bunch of meat in the inventory of the mantis.  When the food spoils I'm left with large stacks of spoiled meat that are never eaten, but it will eat raw meat immediately after I kill something else.

They eat the raw meat first because it fills less food than spoiled meat.  They won't eat spoiled meat until their food drops low enough to consume it.  The same things happens if you fill a trough with berries.  The herbivores will eat the other berries as soon as food drops low enough and never eat the mejoberries.

Spoiled meat replenishes 50 food on a mantis.  Raw meat replenishes 15.

2 minutes ago, eswimm said:

They eat the raw meat first because it fills less food than spoiled meat.  Then won't eat spoiled meat until their food drops low enough to consume it.  The same things happens if you fill a trough with berries.  The herbivores will eat the other berries as soon as food drops low enough and never eat the mejorberries.

Spoiled meat replenishes 50 food on a mantis.  Raw meat replenishes 15.

That's fair, but why doesn't it eat the spoiled meat at all if that's all that's in its inventory?  I'm moving and burning stamina, so it should be depleting food enough to eat it?  I'll do some experimenting tomorrow night and get back to you.

6 minutes ago, PlatinumCore16 said:

That's fair, but why doesn't it eat the spoiled meat at all if that's all that's in its inventory?  I'm moving and burning stamina, so it should be depleting food enough to eat it?  I'll do some experimenting tomorrow night and get back to you.

It should, I wasn't aware of the actual values until I went to one of my hungry mantis and tested putting 1 piece of raw meat or spoiled meat in its inventory. 

• 1 month later...

It is also helpful if you have a complete gillie clothes. Then they will not really see you and you can walk behind them. press also C. This will helps too. And if you are 2 members and have a wyvern it will be more easy. Grab the mantis and stay stay with the wyv in the air close to the ground. then the other one can easily tame it.

Archived