ARK: Worldwide Mod Contest & Spotlight: Dimetrodon & Dung Beetle!

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.MOD-CONTEST-WW.jpg.0b724dc85c3ecde

Survivors!

We’re thrilled to announce the first challenge of the new year! Following the success of the previous Mod Contest and the fantastic entries we saw, we wanted to do it again - but this time, bigger, louder, and uncut :)

We’re’ putting ARK content creators’ abilities to the test with a new ‘ARK: Survival Evolved Worldwide Mod Contest’! Whether you’re designing a new diverse ARK, nifty new items, your very own creatures, or spectacularly fresh gameplay mode - we want to see it all!

Unlike the previous contest, contestants anywhere in the world will be able to submit their workshop items to one of three distinct categories: ‘Mods’, ‘Maps’, and ‘Total Conversions’ - with a total of over $60,000 in cash up for grabs! Full details are here.

We welcome modders of new and old to get involved in the contest and show us that you’ve got what it takes to create the most impressive mod of 2016! To start developing your ARK mod, use the ARK Dev Kit, a streamlined version of the UE4 Editor, to simplify the creation and sharing process of ARK: Survival Evolved which is available to download now for free via the Epic Games Launcher at www.unrealengine.com

All entries must be submitted here before March 15, 2016, and the winners in each category will be announced on April 15, 2016 after finalist voting, spotlight, and judging rounds.

Mod Contest Prizing 
Fifteen (15) prizes will be awarded. 1st through 5th places for each category (Best Mod, Best Map, and Best Total Conversion):

• 1st Place: $10,000 in each category
  • 2nd Place: $5,000 in each category
  • 3rd Place: $3,000 in each category
  • 4th Place: $2,000 in each category
  • 5th Place: $1,000 in each category

So good luck to all Survivors who enter, we simply cannot wait to see what you cook up! (Existing Mods/Maps/TC’s and previous Contest winners are, of course, welcome to enter!)

Spotlight: Dimetrodon & Dung Beetle!

large.dimetrodon.jpg.f9eaf2e6ebdddb58874

large.Dimetrodon.jpg.b43c16a84c18875c3cb

Say hello to the adaptable carnivore! The Dimetrodon offers players shade during excessive heat and shelter from extreme cold by way of the massive insulating sail running down its back. It’s regarded as one of the friendly creatures to survivors and can be found roaming the swamplands that are plentiful with small prey.

large.dung.jpg.ba52640b5fc73c6811fa246b1

large.564d2f513b866_DungBeetle.jpg.7b3eb

The Dung Beetle is a wondrous organic biofactory that eats excrement and other useless waste to then metabolize and produce burnable oil that can power generators and fertilize crops! Regarded as the perfect tame for cleaning up around the tribe’s dino-pen.

Version 232 also introduces craftable Beer Kegs for making tasty brews, with various status enhancing effects, however the subsequent ‘hangover’ effects are not so pleasant!

View full article

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Arman Ossi Loko said:

I've been a modder for years. I'd love the idea of entering, but I am not sure what the "Mods" category is referring to. I mean, what are the things that are (in ARK) considered for the "Mods category". Custom weapons? Custom animations? 3D models or props?

All sorts of things! The last modder contest they had the top finalists were map mods like pirate mod and valhalla.

4 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

All sorts of things! The last modder contest they had the top finalists were map mods like pirate mod and valhalla.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the reply.

One last thing - Are team-made entries allowed? For some reason, there are contests (sometimes) that don't allow entries that were made by teams, believe it or not.

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Arman Ossi Loko said:

Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the reply.

One last thing - Are team-made entries allowed? For some reason, there are contests (sometimes) that don't allow entries that were made by teams, believe it or not.

I don't see why not. Last year's pirate mod had their crew answering folks questions during the finalist preview on twitch.

1 hour ago, Arman Ossi Loko said:

I've been a modder for years. I'd love the idea of entering, but I am not sure what the "Mods" category is referring to. I mean, what are the things that are (in ARK) considered for the "Mods category". Custom weapons? Custom animations? 3D models or props?

A "Mod" is simply a data-mod really. It adds things to the game, or modifies them(core-data mods), but isn't just a map.

@Jat For clarification purposes, I've been working on a project by myself that encompasses all three categories, would using the TC category be the most appropriate as that is the most drastic or consequential?

-WM