Official Servers: Max Tamed Dinos Reached: Solutions/Suggestions

JetJaguar

So I want to start this post by saying this is a "think about this" post. Not a bitch and moan post. I also want people not to jump in here and judge others with regards to this but rather, offer a solution. A suggestion. Let Wildcard take a look at this stuff and maybe roll it around, if they haven’t already, and come up with a solution. Its been talked about before but why not have it all here in one place to keep posting on? Has your official server hit the tame cap?

One thing I think would be neat on Officials is a number reader that shows you how close your server is to hitting the max tamed dinos. Like you log in and see: 3,783/4,000. That would give YOU an idea of close you are to hitting 4,000 tames. Doesn't have to say who has the most; I think we are all aware who on our servers has the crazy dino tames/bases.

PVE and PVP are worlds apart. You don’t have max tame dino issues on PVP because people are killing each other all the time. On PVE it’s a different story. You have many people/tribes "collecting" dinos for various reasons. I think the tons of dinos happen and fall into the following catergories:

• Breeding – Dinos with great stats used specifically to keep breeding with for mutations and/or improved upon stats.
    • Usefullness – Dinos tamed because of their ability. Be it ankys, doeds, beavers, etc.
    • Colors – Dinos tamed regardless of level, simply because the color or pattern looked unique/cool to the tribe/person doing the tame. Serve no other purpose.
    • Pokemon – Dinos tamed because the tribe/person feels they need to have one or two of each dino in game. Serves no purpose other then to "have it".
    • Kibble/Egg layers – Dinos that, regardless of level, are used strictly to lay eggs to make kibble. Usually 1 male and dozens of females.

Keep in mind the fact that there are quite literally, dozens of dinos. So if you want kibble for each one, you are looking at dozens of dinos to keep as kibble farms. One of the main ones people have are scorpion kibble farms. Literally, 2-3 dozen of JUST scorpions for rex taming kibble.

So how do you handle a server that can hold up to 70 players, (Mind you, that’s 70 ACTIVE players online. The server can have far more then 70 people on it!) all of which want to tame and keep big dino amounts? This is where a solution needs to be thought up. Maybe the devs didn’t forsee what would happen down the road? Maybe they didn’t anticipate it being as crazy as its become? Whatever the case, with Steam sales on the game and/or rising popularity, the taming cap will be inching closer and closer for Officials if it hasn’t already.

Suggestions/Solutions

Again, this isn’t a chance to rip large dino farms a new one. This a chance for you to enlighten everyone with a suggestion. Why not? The issue IMO, is two fold: How to contend with current tames and then how to work future tames. The biggest culprit seems to be the use of kibble. I would bet a large portion of the tames on servers are simply there to produce eggs for kibble. So how do you fix this?

• Dino Storage – I had mentioned this a few times. Something that would work sort of the way things work when you put a dino into an obelisk to transfer to another server. In this idea, you build a giant "cube" in your base. You use it to stick dinos in you don’t use/need really. They are put into a "stasis" off the server into this void and you take them out or put them in just like you do an item in a storage box. The dinos could be stored off server on a separate server; not adding to dino count, nor causing any lag issues. Of course there is ironing out: (How many dinos go in here? What if its destroyed? When the dinos are removed, do they add back to count?) etc. This would also be $$ for WC to setup servers just to house dinos but could it help with Official Server loads? Why not?
    • Kibble Revamp – A reworking of the way kibble works. Perhaps a universal kibble used by any dino? Or 1 for all carno types, 1 for all herb types? I think the mutton from sheep is a step in this direction. I also think using oddball stuff like beer, bug repellent, etc is a step away from kibble as well. ALSO think the smaller amounts of kibble needed (ie. compare how much kibble it takes for a 150 baryonyx tame vs a 150 stego tame) is a good step. But will these ideas eliminate egg farms completely?
    • Dino Stat Change – Another suggested idea was changing the way a stat works on a dino. For example, adding a Reproduction stat that you level up after a tame would make that dino lay more eggs so rather then needing 10x of the dino, you could have one or two, pump that stat up, and their egg production would be constant equal to that of 10 or so of them.
    • Old Age/Disasters – This suggestion come up but I disagree with it only because if you spent hours regular taming, or have those few dinos you tamed/kept around from the start of the game that offer that sentimental thought, you wont want them dying. It would also sort of make taming pointless knowing your dino will die and that’s it anyway. Again, a PVE server, the point is killing off other members or their dinos. So while you may not agree with keeping dinos, it’s a different style of gameplay period.
    • Simply Asking People to ditch dinos – This is awkward but one solution. Asking the people with massive zoos to get rid of some is one way. But keep in mind, getting rid of 10 dinos wont make a huge difference in the scheme of things. Getting rid of a few hundred would. How would you feel wanting to tame something but cant, so you now have to beg someone to kill off dinos for you? Do you do this every single time you want a tame? And you, with 100s if not 1000s of dinos tamed, how do you feel knowing no one else can enjoy the game because of your tames? Do you become the "good guy" and kill a few hundred off, or look like the "bad guy" and say "Oh well.."? Very awkward situation..

So what are your suggestions? Whats the fix/solution?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kibble revamp?

Already in the game!
Ever killed a sheep with a chainsaw? Enough special meat to tame 15 150 gigas the same speed like kibble and only getting a couple of levels less after tame compared to kibble.
1.5x taming on weekends makes you tame everything REALLY fast, except dinos that are worth the pain, like the giant Squids, Wyvern you can only hatch or Golems that are a "knockout and forget" anyways.
The only dinos that is worth making a kibble farm is the following chain:
Giga~>Oviraptor~>Megalo~>Therizino
So you can get high lvl Therizinos.
And Mantis for Golem, tho you will never need more than 3 150 golems per tribe ever in your life and you can kill all mantis eggers after those 3.

With breeding you only need a couple good 150 tames, in case of PVE i would even say: socialize, transfer, get mate partners for your high lvl dinos on other servers (sometimes its even worth to pay for it).

Dino storage?
Planned (cloning machine in TEK tier) PLUS Jeremy is begging constantly at steam stuff to add custom data for player inventories:
Source:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/133256240736318437/#c133256240736361866

Reproduction stat?
Good idea but not really needed.

Aging dinos?
VERY good idea, i would love it, with one exception:
There MUST be an item that prevents dinos from dying (must be very expensive, like requiring element as main ingredient, or it must be regulary used on your favourite dinos) and dinos should live at least 6 reallife months!

Simply Asking People to ditch dinos?

Nope, they are greedy, devs need to delete all those low lvl early days old crap like trikes, stegos, carbos, parasaurs etc.
Everything that has knockout-tame-method and takes less than 1 hour to tame at the current rates should be deleted if its older than 150 days.
Bred dinos should stay tho.

Earlier today server hit dino cap, we can no longer tame or breed.

There are only about 7 active tribes, total of 25 active people, and server hit dino cap?
Its The Center, map is huge, there is place for another 10 big tribes yet we hit dino cap already. This is broken, whats the point of server having 100 slots?

At the moment there are 43 different eggs, if you have 3 fem + 1 male for each of those egg layer that is 172 dinos egg layers per tribe , so for 10 tribes that is 1720 / 4000, already half of server limit gone just for usless dinos that lays eggs

I will not even get into part about how u made breeding requiring us keeping generations, purifying blood in order to raise super dino.

With this cap of 4000 dinos, 1 server can't be home for more then 5 serious players. 

This is broken in so many ways and CAP needs to be increased ASAP

MY favorite event ruined on first day :Jerbcry:

• Volunteer Moderator

They have already stated they will not increase the limit. 

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/140417-officials-maxed-tamed-dino-limits-no-increase-planned-big-post/#comment-795833

Here is similar threads that have the discussion going on if you'd like to contribute.

28 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

They have already stated they will not increase the limit. 

I dont care if they already stated it or not, game has changed, more dinos are added, but cap stayed the same? 

We need to tame more dinos for kibble farms then we had to 1 year go, we can breed more dinos because more dinos are added to the game, and proportionally to that dino limit SHOULD be increased !!!!

2 minutes ago, TheLastNerb said:

Having to kill dinos to fix the problem WC  should is not the anwser

What problem? That the limit was there for a while and now suddenly one server hit the limit because of an event?

I'm quite sure WC does not make a tamed limit to annoy players. Probably server limitations or other things that we don't know of.

Adding more dinos to the cap just makes it laggy even more than what it is.  The server cap is different then the tribe cap.  Sure we all want to own one of each, but create a good supply of fertilized eggs after you create your dino farm, that way you can kill them off and raise or sell what you have before you move onto the next farm egg/dino etc.  Plus you have replacements from good lines if one should die to replace without needing to tame etc.  Adding dinos is for variety not to create a big zoo and thus WC wants to keep things tidy in game as well as future releases to keep from having huge lands of tame dinos at which just makes you have to farm more meat, more berries, more fish etc just to keep them alive.  Since you are talking PvE as it would not matter they would all die in PvP, you as the OP must know that PvE servers can get large builds, large plots of land taken, and things like adding more dinos creates less spawns and thus would be hard to find any dinos anyway.

WC has always wanted larger tribes, more specialization, after all look at the engrams, they want trade, they want the interaction in their game.

11 minutes ago, Jostabeere said:

What problem? That the limit was there for a while and now suddenly one server hit the limit because of an event?

I'm quite sure WC does not make a tamed limit to annoy players. Probably server limitations or other things that we don't know of.

The problem of dino spawns on official servers. It is not one server either. Low dino spawns affect tons of servers, especially PvE servers.

6 minutes ago, TheLastNerb said:

The problem of dino spawns on official servers. It is not one server either. Low dino spawns affect tons of servers, especially PvE servers.

But isn't that a complete different issue Jeremy is already trying to fix? I saw a twitter post thingy of him saying he is fixing low dino spawns on servers.

(Edit: Is "Jat" = Jeremy Stieglitz?)

17 minutes ago, orionwinterfire said:

The Dino cap does, or should. The only things that DIScourage trade are the term "pvp" and people being @$$#@+$. It's not the game's fault.

Yes it does. It very much depends on the game design. For example every server could have a safe trade hub, where no PvP is allowed and you can make trades with something like ebay/craigslist/marktplaats. Lot's of games have an Auction House or something similar.

Official PVE Server 441 just hit dino cap tonight. Tons of baby breeding going on with the V-Day event. 40 babies with some at one point. With the increase in dino spawns and now this event, any thought on dino cap limit being raised?

The problem here is this I think: PVE and PVP servers are WORLDS apart. There arent caps in PVP because obviously, people pvp and kill each other. But PVE is different. Again,  I cant help but think about the thought process back in 2015: 70 player servers on PVE, no bosses setup yet in 2015, so what do you do on PVE? Build and tame. Imagine 70 people all with hundreds of dinos.

Apart from that, Kibble farms. These arent people being "greedy"; these are people wanting to do tames. This is the system Wildcard gave everyone. take a look at the amount of kibble it takes to tame a stego. No one has 9 hours to use berries; they need the 60 odd kibble. thats a TON of eggs.

Was any of this planned out back in 2015? 70 player servers, tons of dinos for kibble, hundreds of different dinos people may want to tame, mutations added, etc? Everything about the game encourages and promotes taming/breeding/etc. Surely caps are something you had to have considered?

So here we are in 2017 on what will soon be 2 years of the game come June. What the hell is the solution now? Beg other people on the server to kill stuff off? You can see it right now even on our server: Anyone you REMOTELY make mention of in chat as having too many/hundreds of dinos, and they immediately get defensive: Us? Surely you cant mean us? Tribe so and so has way more dinos then we do! So you're given the awkward choice of no one taming anything new or breeding, or begging people to kill off dinos. Why should the customers be stuck doing this? Why wasnt this all thought of from the start?

In 8 days a new patch hits with 4 new dinos. Unless people on 441 want to kill off stuff, no one is getting these. That sucks. At a time when people should be excited and enjoying new content, people will be dreading it as they cant even tame the damn new things.

Again.. its PVE. People dont kill each other. Its simple: You build, tame/breed, and do the boss fights. I strongly suggest Wildcard reconsider tame limits/server capacity for PVE servers. Its not the same gameplay as a PVP one and this problem will keep cropping up all over. The increase in dinos with that fix and this event are adding to the populations. The lag hasnt been an issue since that patch, on our server at least. So perhaps a higher dino cap could be supported?

• Volunteer Moderator

Your kinda beating a dead horse man. You just made a topic almost the same a week ago when they announced they weren't increasing the dino cap. Many suggestions already in that topic. I have no idea why you feel the need to create the same topic again. Just bump the old topic.

in case you forgot heres your old link

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/142789-official-servers-max-tamed-dinos-reached-solutionssuggestions/#comment-806615

Increase dino cap is only a temporary solution , what we want is long term .

Like you said , it take many kibble to tame a perfect dino but egg drop rate is quite low and since now we have to fight boss for tek tier , everyone keep looking for a perfect rex to breed it all over again , most tribe now aim to have 20 super rexes to take on boss .

There is also a problem of trying to get people to work together for greater good . You just can expect everyone is a living Buhda . There will be people who just don't want to kill some of theirs dino from egg farm and let other tribe do it since it will benefit them the most , you don't lost dino while gain a taming slot ? Jackpot !

And then some transfer theirs dino to other servers , that also affect dino limit .

For now i will just sit here and smirk at WC 's decision , they don't play much on official so they don't know exactly what is going on .

1 minute ago, TR-8R said:

Increase dino cap is only a temporary solution , what we want is long term .

Like you said , it take many kibble to tame a perfect dino but egg drop rate is quite low and since now we have to fight boss for tek tier , everyone keep looking for a perfect rex to breed it all over again , most tribe now aim to have 20 super rexes to take on boss .

There is also a problem of trying to get people to work together for greater good . You just can expect everyone is a living Buhda . There will be people who just don't want to kill some of theirs dino from egg farm and let other tribe do it since it will benefit them the most , you don't lost dino while gain a taming slot ? Jackpot !

And then some transfer theirs dino to other servers , that also affect dino limit .

For now i will just sit here and smirk at WC 's decision , they don't play much on official so they don't know exactly what is going on .

You already got your answer from Wildcard. If you don't agree with it, play on your own server with friends.

I don't understand why people play PvE official anyways.

13 minutes ago, TR-8R said:

Play on unofficial server does not fix the problem  , any bug / exploit found on official will help the game become better for  new people who just buy the game .

Unoffficial server can be as unpredictable as people , can't guarantee those server always good .

How is it a bug? The Dino Cap is meant to reduce lag...

Archived