Cross Ark Data Transfer Question!

TheN00B

Guest BubbaCrawfish

You could link them in a cluster, but then you're going to need to have a shared cluster folder which by the sounds of it will be tricky for you, unless they are on the same host/machine.

Have not tried this, but supposedly you can set your server and your friend's server to act as a cluster. Then you would need to use a symlink to link your cluster folder to a Dropbox folder. Then your friend also symlinks his cluster folder to the same Dropbox account. In theory it 'should' fool the system into syncing both servers to the same cluster folder on DropBox (or Google drive etc...)

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I don't know if you know how DropBox via symlink works, as it doesn't seem like it's a live thing, and it's a manually commited copy of the current files in that folder that's used by DropBox.

Where-as travelling between arks would require live file transfer and instant pickup on the other end.

What would be cool is if someone from WildCard could advise as to how it's done on their official servers. It could help people when they are transferring hosts, and want clean maps with no holdup as such.

@Jen @Jat @Wildcard QA

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 3:49 PM, BubbaCrawfish said:

I don't know if you know how DropBox via symlink works, as it doesn't seem like it's a live thing, and it's a manually commited copy of the current files in that folder that's used by DropBox.

Where-as travelling between arks would require live file transfer and instant pickup on the other end.

What would be cool is if someone from WildCard could advise as to how it's done on their official servers. It could help people when they are transferring hosts, and want clean maps with no holdup as such.

@Jen @Jat @Wildcard QA

The officially supported method is to run all of the Ark servers in the cluster on the same box.

Using a symlink 'should' make the pc copy all of the changes to the cluster folder on the local server to the cloud folder in real time which would then also write the changes to the remote pc's cluster folder. I am not sure how quickly this sync takes place, but I was under the assumption that it was pretty quick, especially since the transferred file is pretty small.

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I run ark server tools for one instance (I use Linux), then manually start 3 other servers off that server install using commands.

The override folder simply puts the cluster folder elsewhere.

So for instance, you can have 3 separate server installs, with separate config files (So they can have different rates, dinospawnrates and such), and they can link via the overridden folder. The disadvantage here is that you need to update 3 times, compared to the one.

But then you wouldn't need to run multiple commandline options to change the name, rates and such.

I find it easy to simply run all as commandline, and use screen to stop all of them manually when it is time to update.

18 hours ago, Darkblood said:

Anyone tried this method? Any success? 

I found some info in the link below, but I'm still not sure it will work (also, there is this Cluster Overide thing that may allow you to do it without symbolic links).

http://arkservermanager.freeforums.net/thread/2118/cross-ark-data-transfer

This is the method I use. Worked great and took less than 5 minutes to set it up.

You are correct that you no longer need to use symlinks.

Archived