baryonyx

bluexminder

Better base stats than a carno (minus damage, but pretty close IMHO), greater mobility/speed, jump, tail stun attack underwater, large attack radius and able to protect its flanks. So yes, totally worth it.

Tamed a lv 96, got a 136 one with prime fish, now she's about Lv 170, with 2200 HP, 300+% damage and 170% speed... She's rocking everything and everywhere (except in the air of course :p) !

I took her to go underwater (set to follow when collecting pearls, with it's tail spin there is no better bodyguard), quick moving around the Island (swamps especially), light transportation (around 550 weight currently), and xp farming (chomping trought everything on border of red forest, able to chew even Rexes ankles).

Couple of days ago, she literally saved my life by taking out a big pack of troodons lv 40-100 by herself, after I had been knocked out by their damn poison, lying on the ground with 2.% HP remaining... She took the aggro, quickly chomped the pack (while taking quite a beating, hopefully she didn't die), and guard over me until I finally wake up !

Literally fallen in love with this dino :P

• 2 weeks later...

It's pretty worth it, IMO. It kind of acts like a mix of a Raptor and a Carno, with the strengths of both on top of its own unique abilities. Also, considering how easy it is to gather prime fish once you get the sickle, it's really not a terrible tame at all (kibble or no kibble). Definitely one of my favorite new mid-to-low size mounts

35 minutes ago, GreenSoup2HoT said:

The spin attack stun alone makes it a very very good Dino as a bodyguard for collecting oil/pearls. I'm just wondering if you pump enough oxygen and used the Oxygen Chili (reduces Oxygen consumption) if you could take it to underwater caves and spin attack your way to victory. 

Dinos can't eat stews anymore, but the Baryonyx doesn't have an oxygen stat, anyway. It's probably a tad too fragile to handle the larger cave (the eastern one, with the Mosa and Tuso spawns), but you could probably clear the western one pretty easily with it

• 7 months later...

taming one when I logged off a single player. watched a video, and bary has better stats than carno, but 2 out of 2 times carno won (not by much) carno has about 200 better DPS somehow, I thought bary was fast at attacking. I value speed and agility (bary jumps) over health and damage for my dinos. carno swims slower than a dodo too

Yeah dodos, finally being better at SOMETHING than a predator:dod-xmas::Melee_Damage:DODO POWAH!!

Baryonyx is one of my favorite dino, all the reasons everyone else mentioned. Very useful for a lot of things, caves, underwater oil farming, taming other dinos since you can use tools while mounted. Lifesaver under water where you frequently get ganged up on.

I use mind also as a guard for on follow when getting pearls on my angkerfish and oil on my dunkleo.

Also can take on alphas great toe to toe, great getaway too.

Hi,

It is the best tame out there. We love it. It will survive with you. Just take good care and level speed first as you do with your character. Once you are skilled using the Bary I guess the enemies are few. Best solo player tame for sure together with Argent.

The Bary will take you where no power beast can.

Regards,

Ariana

On 2/5/2017 at 3:02 AM, bluexminder said:

has anyone tamed a high lvl one yet? was wondering if its worth getting, ie if its strong or not

It's not the strongest dino out there, but it is very versatile and kind of an aquatic force-multiplier with its fast healing and stun attack.  Land speed and water speed are both adequate, fairly survivable with a good saddle on it, melee's not bad, excellent way to clear an area of water nuisance critters.  An underrated dino, in my opinion, and my second favorite water tame after the basilo.

a red bred bary is pretty scary, especially for pvp.

the only place you might feel safe is way up in a tree

if you have to fight a guy on one, don't do it at the beach

keep him high and dry with a bolo tie, pike him at arm's reach

Baryonyx are very useful I find. Not only can they stun pretty much anything underwater, but you can use them to tame much larger underwater tames because you can use a crossbow while riding them. Not requiring oxygen also makes them beneficial since you won't have to worry about running to the surface. 

Archived