supply drop Blocking Supply Drops?

Grognak

I've been searching the forums for an answer about supply drops, and couldn't find any positive information.

Can you stop a supply drop from spawning by building near it?

I've read that people were building walls around were they spawn, but what if I build a house near its drop point, will that stop it from spawning?

It won't stop the supply drop. The only thing that happens is that you want be able to reach it if it's inside a base if you don't have a flyer to go over the walls. Sometimes if there is a foundation right on the spot you may not be able to get the option to open it. 

There re is a supply drop on my server where it does go inside a foundation but if I crawl I am able to get the option to open it but it does not work all the time.

• Volunteer Moderator

I have seen some stop from their being close by building.

I built in a little ravine once, where 3 different drops would come down(in the NE) and all 3 stopped after putting up the B. Gates on either end.

Also, I think there are normally 2 drops that will form on the volcano.  Now, only one forms, as we have the mining bases close to the where one of the drops use to form.

And, where I currently have my base on a column of rock(also in the NE in the Maw), there is a second shorter column N of me.  I have B. Gates on either side of it, and since then, the drops the formed on top of the column stopped.

If I remember, tonight, there is a drop you cannot get to on the server, close to my base.  I might try a couple combos using fencing, foundations, and then B. Gates to see which stop drop.  I have heard of drops being fenced off.

1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

I have seen some stop from their being close by building.

I built in a little ravine once, where 3 different drops would come down(in the NE) and all 3 stopped after putting up the B. Gates on either end.

Also, I think there are normally 2 drops that will form on the volcano.  Now, only one forms, as we have the mining bases close to the where one of the drops use to form.

And, where I currently have my base on a column of rock(also in the NE in the Maw), there is a second shorter column N of me.  I have B. Gates on either side of it, and since then, the drops the formed on top of the column stopped.

If I remember, tonight, there is a drop you cannot get to on the server, close to my base.  I might try a couple combos using fencing, foundations, and then B. Gates to see which stop drop.  I have heard of drops being fenced off.

Not entirely sure this is true as tribes have many of the drops wall off in there bases on the server I Play on! And also I have found thatch foundations on top of drop spawns and wood and stone etc. Could there be a problem with your server?? :/

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, ninjaridz said:

Not entirely sure this is true as tribes have many of the drops wall off in there bases on the server I Play on! And also I have found thatch foundations on top of drop spawns and wood and stone etc. Could there be a problem with your server?? :/

My last line says what you just said, about spawns being fenced off.  But fencing vs pillars vs foundations vs gates are each different.  Hence, why I said I would try to test this tonight.

And, I have seen drops stop on 3 different servers when there was building near by, and in different areas on those servers.. 

• Volunteer Moderator

I tried out a few experiments on our server last night.  Did a lot of sitting.

I have a lot of drops around me, but picked 4 in particular.

When one of the drops formed, I would to it, so that I had an exact location, empty it, and then setup the test.

I also ran the test for serveral game days.

For drop 1, I put down a wood foundation in the spot of the drop.  The drop never came back, until I demolished the foundation.

For drop 2, I put down a column and a ceiling tile.  The drop never came back, until I demolished the foundation.

For drop 3, I put down 3 fence foundations and a wall on each, very close to the drop.  The drop never came back, until I removed the fencing and foundations.

For drop 4, I put a dino gate next to it.  That drop continued to work.  This drop also fell into a rock as was never accessible, so I will try this again on another drop.

After drop 1 was working again, I also did the fence test, putting the fence a little farther away.  The drop never came back, until I removed all of the fencing.

The only caveat I can see to any of this is that we run one mod.  The mod does alter the contents of the drops(the treasure tables), but as far as I know, not the drops themselves.

My first test could easily be replicated on any vanilla server by finding a drop, putting down a foundation, and seeing if that drop ever comes back.

I have seen on Carno island someone put thatch foundation right on the spot the drop comes down. It never stopped it. The only thing is you could not get to open it the same way when drops goes partly in the rock and you can't open it. Another where someone had put a wood foundation but the drop never stopped but you had to lay on the ground to reach it. I saw many drops fenced  in except for needed a flyer to go over it did not stopped it. I am on a official server.

I don't know what to say about your test except it seems the drops did not get stopped.

My old PvPvE server was unofficial, no mods with no changes to beacons and the 2 drops on either side of the river around 50/60 were definitely both stopped by bases surrounding the area.  The North West riverbank there is one of the ones on top of a rock so no foundations can be placed directly under it as far as I am aware.

When we went round on clean up and Eradicater rifled the bases a month later (once the owners had left) then both drops started again and continued spawning as normal.

Not sure what the variable is to stop them spawning or not because I've also seen ones surround by fences and very close to foundations inside peoples bases that seem to spawn fine.

• 1 year later...

Archived