Flying dinos are a joke

Foulblade

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, TimeSpiral said:

Another "flyers are OP" post. Waa. 

In a competitive PvP environment, of course a meta will emerge where only a handful of builds are viable. We're all spinning our wheels here. 

There are a number of counters to getting picked, but you should also know, if you're riding a land dino without a platform saddle in a raid, you're going to be targeted for a pick. But also know that as the flyer, choosing to pick somebody is a risk. 

There are a number of counters to being picked:

• Whip - dismounts the rider and lets you go
  • Super encumber yourself - immediately stops the rider and you get dropped very close to your dino
  • Bola - only works on Ptera, but has a similar effect as the whip with the added bonus that the bird falls
  • Kill the bird - metal arrows, flame arrows, flamethrower, assault rifle, etc ... 
  • Grappling Hook - you actually need this to counter getting picked by a Quetzal. Shoot the bird, it will drop you. 
  • Obviously you need to have at least one parachute at all times.

With so many viable counters I actually don't understand why people still insist that it is OP. Getting picked means you should almost never die, unless you're seriously unprepared (which does happen, of course). But countering the person who picked you means they're in big trouble and will probably lose the bird (unless a teammate is nearby and can whistle it out). 

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but; you might want to learn how to play before you cry that something is OP.

Another complaint from someone that shouldn't be commenting if they aren't  being helpful lol. 

Learn how to play? By that do you mean low life? Not making an assumption I am literally just asking a simple question? Sure hope I don't get ridiculously warned for this since I wasn't actually talking about anybody 

Look - Things that fly have an obvious advantage over things that don't fly. Plain and simple. That's a fact of life to be honest so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Best you come to accept that lol.

Just remember this game provides you with many counter options to animals that can fly. I mean as long as you're aware of the fact that there are airborne killing machines, you should be fine.

12 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

Is it possible for you to provide any credible sources for the claims you make in your post?

Especially on the passages about:

1. no one rides anything but flying dinos

2. I am probably the only player who rides a ground mount as a normal transportation

Besides these points I agree that there is an issue with flying dinos, but not based on the claims you make.

P.S. If you fight flying players in PvP use tools like ranged weapons and parachutes so even if you*re picked up you won't die to falling damage and you can shoot back when you're grabbed.

Flame arrows whips and grapples parashoots obviously lol then uts it's doable the quetz platform tank tho 

10 hours ago, Picolo XL said:

Bolas, Whips, Cluster grenates, Shotguns, tranqs, parachutes,,.. If you know how to PvP you dont bother someone using flyers. especially pteras are so weak, they will not resists any kind of high level weapos at all.  Also if you are able to use your orbit camera the right way it is not that hard to dodge a ptera trying to grap you from your mount. One or two attacks of a high level rex/giga and you got that problem solved.

Wel first off not all maps have whips and cluster grenades. Second off why should I have to have a set of  multiple items to fight off a super low teir Dino. I have a thousand hours of game play Pvp only. And it's just dumb. If I want to Pvp I have to have grappling hooks parachutes bolas and a shot gun just because of one low tier Dino your kidding me right? My kit I have all of those plus more it's just stupid you have to have them and do all this stuff because of one Dino. Understand yet it's a nuisance

2 hours ago, TimeSpiral said:

Another "flyers are OP" post. Waa. 

In a competitive PvP environment, of course a meta will emerge where only a handful of builds are viable. We're all spinning our wheels here. 

There are a number of counters to getting picked, but you should also know, if you're riding a land dino without a platform saddle in a raid, you're going to be targeted for a pick. But also know that as the flyer, choosing to pick somebody is a risk. 

There are a number of counters to being picked:

• Whip - dismounts the rider and lets you go
  • Super encumber yourself - immediately stops the rider and you get dropped very close to your dino
  • Bola - only works on Ptera, but has a similar effect as the whip with the added bonus that the bird falls
  • Kill the bird - metal arrows, flame arrows, flamethrower, assault rifle, etc ... 
  • Grappling Hook - you actually need this to counter getting picked by a Quetzal. Shoot the bird, it will drop you. 
  • Obviously you need to have at least one parachute at all times.

With so many viable counters I actually don't understand why people still insist that it is OP. Getting picked means you should almost never die, unless you're seriously unprepared (which does happen, of course). But countering the person who picked you means they're in big trouble and will probably lose the bird (unless a teammate is nearby and can whistle it out). 

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but; you might want to learn how to play before you cry that something is OP.

Because it's a nuisance dude of course I have all the gear with me but why should I have to?  Like what's the point of a high lvl saber when a lol 100 pteradon can snatch you real fast and throw you before you can bola it  if it's fast enough then rinse and repeat till you have none less. I might as well go on god damn foot so I'm a smaller target. The point is the flying Dino's out class land Dino's by a long shot and if you can't see that you are to stupid to understand anyways. You shouldn't have to do all this extra poop because of one Dino end of discussion. Let's look at pros and construction of saber s pteradon both can be bolaed pterdon can fly and grab saber can not and takes fall damage  saber does more damage or does it? Pteradon cab do spin attack doing about same damage pteradon is faster oh and it flys!! Why would you ever ride a saber when you have a pteradon

4 hours ago, MTek9 said:

I'll stick with my bear when running the sands of scorched earth, thanks. If you're worried about being picked off your dino by a flyer, load your animal up with some stone and transfer it to your inventory when you're on it. I love when Pteranodon flyers come speeding in to grab me and then freeze in place because I'm too heavy. My ascendent sword and or shotgun makes quick work of them.

Oh guys look a solution we all just need a ascended shot and sword to kill them  makes perfect since problem solved only cost 5000 metal to kill a bird that took you 5 min to tame oh my and if he does manage to kill you he is gonna be happy.  How many birds I would trade for that gear. Oh yeah a high lol Argo would just fly away with you like a joke it is. Your solution is flawed. You shouldn't have to do all that because of one Dino end of discussion

5 minutes to tame? Are you drunk? Listen before you get ahead of yourself and start calling my suggestion flawed, try using realistic numbers in your posts. My "solution" works for me. Every. Single. Time.

I have 250% melee damage on my character so with an ascendent sword this high level Argy you speak of that is gunna fly away with me is dead in 3 swings I promise you.

If you're too lazy to play the game and gather the materials required to combat your supposed "problem" then you deserve to be picked up like a noob and dropped on your face.

From the way you're whining here it seems like you're just a spoiled kid who's had everything handed to him.

It's clear the problem you have is laziness. Get off your ass and get the gear you need. Otherwise, go play minecraft.

Just now, MTek9 said:

5 minutes to tame? Are you drunk? Listen before you get ahead of yourself and start calling my suggestion flawed, try using realistic numbers in your posts. My "solution" works for me. Every. Single. Time.

I have 250% melee damage on my character so with an ascendent sword this high level Argy you speak of that is gunna fly away with me is dead in 3 swings I promise you.

If you're too lazy to play the game and gather the materials required to combat your supposed "problem" then you deserve to be picked up like a noob and dropped on your face.

From the way you're whining here it seems like you're just a spoiled kid who's had everything handed to him.

It's clear the problem you have is laziness. Get off your ass and get the gear you need. Otherwise, go play minecraft.

Second this, he is correct! Dont complain cause you want higher results with minimal effort.

• Volunteer Moderator
42 minutes ago, Foulblade said:

Because it's a nuisance dude of course I have all the gear with me but why should I have to?

Because it's a survival game and not taking measures to ensure your survival just gives you a rightful spot below whatever is at the top of the food chain?

31 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

Second this, he is correct! Dont complain cause you want higher results with minimal effort.

We all just have ascended gear laying around kido I got it . I 1v4 tribes all the time. Guessing you never played on an official server or even a 2X would take you solo 2 hours of mining maybe more for just your sword of 3K metal plus smelting time oh also you have to have the blue print so explain why I should have to mine 5 hours ( including smelting time ) to kill a bird that took 20 min to tame tops see the difference ? Use facts also Argo can have over 30K HP with a good sale your attack might do over 150  so 30K divided by 150 or even 400 is more then enough time for it to kill you. If you want numbers I'll bring in stats

44 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Because it's a survival game and not taking measures to ensure your survival just gives you a rightful spot below whatever is at the top of the food chain?

How is a pteradon higher in the food chain then a Rex?  Or even an argi an Argi will always beat any ground Dino even a giga if it has no rider food chain is a bit off don't you think

It's not that it's there's flying dinosaurs. It's more of the fact that there's not good counters to them and that it makes things easier. But it also gets predictable and old as a result.

So now we either need good counters (team mates could help clear the way for air for example) or we need more (large) bases with roofs to encourage parachuting in and the like (D-day style).

17 minutes ago, Foulblade said:

We all just have ascended gear laying around kido I got it . I 1v4 tribes all the time. Guessing you never played on an official server or even a 2X would take you solo 2 hours of mining maybe more for just your sword of 3K metal plus smelting time oh also you have to have the blue print so explain why I should have to mine 5 hours ( including smelting time ) to kill a bird that took 20 min to tame tops see the difference ? Use facts also Argo can have over 30K HP with a good sale your attack might do over 150  so 30K divided by 150 or even 400 is more then enough time for it to kill you. If you want numbers I'll bring in stats

Not saying anything about to any asc sword man, grapple hook and heavy yourself can remove the pick up menace, if picked up theres parachute, shotgun, c4, etc, you gotta get smart, i think the one that hasnt played officials is you man. I never play outside of official servers and i never complain about the chance of been picked up, then what lets remove sniper rifles cause thay can get you without you see them too? stop complaining for reals and enjoy the game.

4 minutes ago, davidcostarica said:

Not saying anything about to any asc sword man, grapple hook and heavy yourself can remove the pick up menace, if picked up theres parachute, shotgun, c4, etc, you gotta get smart, i think the one that hasnt played officials is you man. I never play outside of official servers and i never complain about the chance of been picked up, then what lets remove sniper rifles cause thay can get you without you see them too? stop complaining for reals and enjoy the game.

Sniper shot needs skill picking up is easy. C4 that's dumb use a narc grenade long as you have high fort I always do. Not saying their is not counters they just suck and it's the same thing over again of course you can grapple out but it sucks no. Flying is to greater then ground we can all agree on that I would like to see more ground Dino's useful

Straps would do just that

Guest BubbaCrawfish
16 hours ago, Foulblade said:

you can just be picked up off your mount

Can also occur on a flying mount, so really, it's nothing different.

They're not a joke as my Argentavis can carry 1500. Couple that with a few more argies, and I can harvest enough metal to make a base within 20 minutes.

If you're having trouble with fliers, and you are on a ground mount, then look out for them, you can easily stand under most ground dinos to stop them from picking you up, and a shotgun will sort out them having you at their mercy pretty quick. Damn, even a pike will sort them out pretty fast and a parachute to be sure you don't plummet to your death as soon as they realize you're killing their flier.

Simply wanting straps brought in to stop you being picked up is pretty silly really...  When you're sitting on the dino, load yourself up on weight in it, then they pick you up, then won't be able to take off with you.

Having things added to the game simply to avoid dealing with the issue is not the way, you should be able to deal with them if you actually looked at ways of dealing with them.

4 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Another complaint from someone that shouldn't be commenting if they aren't  being helpful lol. 

Learn how to play? By that do you mean low life? Not making an assumption I am literally just asking a simple question? Sure hope I don't get ridiculously warned for this since I wasn't actually talking about anybody 

Huh?

The OP complained about getting picked. I listed many of the known and effective counters. I'm not being helpful?

Yeah, dude: learn how to play. Learning isn't bad. Suggesting someone learn more isn't bad either. I know that some people think they don't need to learn, but that's just silly. Show some humility and realize you don't know it all and need to learn. 

1 hour ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

Can also occur on a flying mount, so really, it's nothing different.

Except that you're much more likely to be looking at the underbelly of the flying dino. Not to mention you can easily be much further away when in the air (no hill to stop you either). Making for a smaller target (at least player wise if not dino wise). So it really is very different.

Ground dino you can just aim straight ahead and shoot. No underbelly in the way. Not to mention ground has cover and trees to hide the player and mount. Again, very different.

Air has next to no cover. Ground has cover. If that isn't different I don't know what is. Snipers need line of sight too (more, I mean).

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Foulblade said:

How is a pteradon higher in the food chain then a Rex?  Or even an argi an Argi will always beat any ground Dino even a giga if it has no rider food chain is a bit off don't you think

The thing is, you're not complaining about a pteradon winning against a rex. You're complaining about a person riding a pteradon vs you riding a rex. You might think there's no distinction but there is, by virtue of the fact that wild pteradons do not make use of the grab ability. So again, if you're not taking the necessary steps, then you rightfully deserve your lower spot on the food chain, even if the one above you is a fellow human.

18 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

The thing is, you're not complaining about a pteradon winning against a rex. You're complaining about a person riding a pteradon vs you riding a rex. You might think there's no distinction but there is, by virtue of the fact that wild pteradons do not make use of the grab ability. So again, if you're not taking the necessary steps, then you rightfully deserve your lower spot on the food chain, even if the one above you is a fellow human.

You miss understood me pteradons win both you riding a Rex your Rex on aggressive a wild Rex it doesn't matter they win all of them period I'm complaining that it's so easy to fly one compared to other things with more skill but get same results. I'm complaining that all Dino's are useless compared to flying Dino's why ride a ground Dino when you have air. Can you answer that question why you would ever ride a ground Dino over an air one. There is absolutely no reason to ever be on a ground Dino for the sake of open world Pvp please try to prove me wrong.

Archived