Flying dinos are a joke

Foulblade

Flying dinos are a joke to the game. They make all other dinos useless and no one rides anything but flying dinos because you can just be picked up off your mount and thats pretty much the end of you. Then they come back and kill you ground dino with a pteradon. My t-rex lvl 220 died to a level 16 pteradon he was on neutral. But flying dino's just hit the tail over and over. We need to add straps to dino saddles you can have so you cant be picked off by flying mounts or something of the sort. I am probably the only player who rides a ground mount as a normal transportation. Anyone else agree their is still an issue with flying dino's?  Dino straps to stop you from getting grabbed would be awesome or maybe an item that shocks the player when they try to grab your dino to fly away with them.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible for you to provide any credible sources for the claims you make in your post?

Especially on the passages about:

1. no one rides anything but flying dinos

2. I am probably the only player who rides a ground mount as a normal transportation

Besides these points I agree that there is an issue with flying dinos, but not based on the claims you make.

P.S. If you fight flying players in PvP use tools like ranged weapons and parachutes so even if you*re picked up you won't die to falling damage and you can shoot back when you're grabbed.

3 hours ago, Foulblade said:

Flying dinos are a joke to the game. They make all other dinos useless and no one rides anything but flying dinos because you can just be picked up off your mount and thats pretty much the end of you. Then they come back and kill you ground dino with a pteradon. My t-rex lvl 220 died to a level 16 pteradon he was on neutral. But flying dino's just hit the tail over and over. We need to add straps to dino saddles you can have so you cant be picked off by flying mounts or something of the sort. I am probably the only player who rides a ground mount as a normal transportation. Anyone else agree their is still an issue with flying dino's?  Dino straps to stop you from getting grabbed would be awesome or maybe an item that shocks the player when they try to grab your dino to fly away with them.

Bolas, Whips, Cluster grenates, Shotguns, tranqs, parachutes,,.. If you know how to PvP you dont bother someone using flyers. especially pteras are so weak, they will not resists any kind of high level weapos at all.  Also if you are able to use your orbit camera the right way it is not that hard to dodge a ptera trying to grap you from your mount. One or two attacks of a high level rex/giga and you got that problem solved.

hyperbole aside you do have a point. from personal experience it seems players are using flyers 80% of the time or more. I think the fix is to make them a more high risk high reward option, ideas I've liked include:

reimplement the ranged damage multiplier to flyers

damage multiplier for anyone held by a flyer

flak turrets that only target flyers, I don't think it would be broken to allow these to be built on non quetzal platforms as well.

damage taken while flying drains stamina rapidly

an alpha aerial predator that only attacks flyers

I would really like to see a resurgence of land dinos in pvp. I've tried a no flyer server and it was interesting but I want to fly sometimes, I just don't want to feel invincible when I do.

8 hours ago, Foulblade said:

I see where you are coming from man. It would be nice to see some saddle straps

8 hours ago, Foulblade said:

Funny thing is everyone says stuff like hey just load yourself and your dino down with weight. 

Why? I shouldn't have to. End of story 

9 hours ago, Foulblade said:

My t-rex lvl 220 died to a level 16 pteradon he was on neutral. But flying dino's just hit the tail over and over. 

(X) Doubt

Did they kill it while it was stuck or something? Because low level Pteranodons don't have much stamina or damage output, and they'd have to grind on that Level 220 for a VERY LONG TIME before it died. If they did it while you were offline, ok, makes sense. If you were fighting a Level 16 Ptera rider and lost....DILO.

9 hours ago, Foulblade said:

carry a crossbow with grapling hooks with you. just grapple the ground befor you are to far away from the ground

Flyers are definitely OP. High lvl pteras are very strong. But they are easy to beat. Your hot bar should always consist of bolas, parachutes, rifle, shotgun, sword, pike, stimulant, some form of tranquilizer or grappling hook. Sucks but there are a lot of threats you need to deal with. Personally I don't even tame land dinos anymore. Why? You could just fly. I restate, flyers are OP.

I'll stick with my bear when running the sands of scorched earth, thanks. If you're worried about being picked off your dino by a flyer, load your animal up with some stone and transfer it to your inventory when you're on it. I love when Pteranodon flyers come speeding in to grab me and then freeze in place because I'm too heavy. My ascendent sword and or shotgun makes quick work of them.

If your rex died because of a guy on a lvl 16 tera you sir are trash at pvp. this bird would be very rare to have more then 500 hp and could be killed with a few wacks from a normal pike. Rule #1 of pvp always have parachutes where ever you go at least 1 I always bring 2-3. have a immobilizing weapon. whips are the best in case of being snagged but, bolas are good if you have experience with throwing them and very effective if your a good shot at moving targets. As far as weapon of choice on killing said bird that snagged you. The pump shot gun or a double will be your best bet if neither are at your disposal grab a pike or sword and slam that bird until you or both of you drop. Stay on your toes cause ark trolls come out of no where and with server transfers my tribe usually ends up killing 3-5 teras and 1-3 argies a week belonging to trolls that transfer. other wise the server is very quiet.

44 minutes ago, PrimalBroom744 said:

If your rex died because of a guy on a lvl 16 tera you sir are trash at pvp. this bird would be very rare to have more then 500 hp and could be killed with a few wacks from a normal pike. Rule #1 of pvp always have parachutes where ever you go at least 1 I always bring 2-3. have a immobilizing weapon. whips are the best in case of being snagged but, bolas are good if you have experience with throwing them and very effective if your a good shot at moving targets. As far as weapon of choice on killing said bird that snagged you. The pump shot gun or a double will be your best bet if neither are at your disposal grab a pike or sword and slam that bird until you or both of you drop. Stay on your toes cause ark trolls come out of no where and with server transfers my tribe usually ends up killing 3-5 teras and 1-3 argies a week belonging to trolls that transfer. other wise the server is very quiet.

Agreed 100%.

I've been using the new shock tranqs myself. Had a guy try and pick me up last night so I broke out the ol red long neck and hit his bird once. Instant KO. Then I chopped him up with my red sword.

Love these darts though. Anyone under 20 Fortitude get's immobilized and then passes out. Very fun.

Another "flyers are OP" post. Waa. 

In a competitive PvP environment, of course a meta will emerge where only a handful of builds are viable. We're all spinning our wheels here. 

There are a number of counters to getting picked, but you should also know, if you're riding a land dino without a platform saddle in a raid, you're going to be targeted for a pick. But also know that as the flyer, choosing to pick somebody is a risk. 

There are a number of counters to being picked:

• Whip - dismounts the rider and lets you go
  • Super encumber yourself - immediately stops the rider and you get dropped very close to your dino
  • Bola - only works on Ptera, but has a similar effect as the whip with the added bonus that the bird falls
  • Kill the bird - metal arrows, flame arrows, flamethrower, assault rifle, etc ... 
  • Grappling Hook - you actually need this to counter getting picked by a Quetzal. Shoot the bird, it will drop you. 
  • Obviously you need to have at least one parachute at all times.

With so many viable counters I actually don't understand why people still insist that it is OP. Getting picked means you should almost never die, unless you're seriously unprepared (which does happen, of course). But countering the person who picked you means they're in big trouble and will probably lose the bird (unless a teammate is nearby and can whistle it out). 

I mean, I hate to be that guy, but; you might want to learn how to play before you cry that something is OP.

Archived