What stats for fire wyvern sould be to solo Alpha death worm?

KimmyKimmy

For fire, it's tricky... I'm not 100% on the stats needed since I prefer lightning for alpha dws, but I'd wager to say that unless you hit it with the flame and fly away, and repeat over and over, you're going to need a large pool of health. And I mean a lot, like 20k, since fire isn't strong. you'll also need very high melee, 430+, which is difficult to achieve if you're bumping health that much.

Lightning, however, is much easier. the range means you'll take significantly less damage, and also do more damage. I rarely lose 5k health fighting with a wyvern that has 430+ melee. Just back up the whole time while fighting it. I highly recommend using lightning to fight deathworms instead.

Like the person above stated, don't use a fire wyvern.  Their melee percentage does not affect their breath weapon nearly as much.  The fire's breath is useful for it's DoT, but that is vastly outclassed by a lightning wyvern's direct damage output.  Especially at higher melee percentages.

Edit: meant to touch back on the fire: if you are dead set on using a fire, I would also follow the advice on person above.  Health first, melee second.  I would hatch a couple and pick the one that starts with the better melee, then the better health.  I realize that this might sound contradictory from my previous statement, but hear me out: if you keep both health stats the same and raise the one with higher melee, you already start with better damage.  You'll be putting points into health either way, so anything you end up with left over will be better used by the higher melee.  If either are nearly the same, just pick the one that has the better of the stat that is dissimilar.  I would say 20k health is a pretty good starting point.  If you hatch a wyvern with over 8k health, you've got a real winner: at even 80% imprint you're looking at over 9k health and that's not including the damage resistance modifier.  Same information below on imprinting applies.

Also imprint it as close to 100% as possible.  The damage boost, health boost, extra damage boost from being the imprinter, and damage resistance make all the world.  I can kill normal death worms without losing 5% of health even just sitting there and tanking the whole thing with my lightning.  Raised as a 190, 95% imprint, melee is around 400+, health is 15k.  I've never actually seen an alpha death worm, so I couldn't tell you how the damage differs, but I wouldn't expect to lose more than 25% hp.

Also if a mod could move this to Ark general, I don't think it belongs in off topic.  If other readers have a similar question, they may not find it here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 8:25 PM, Hornet said:

is there any guide for wyvern stat? 

I have never seen one, but in my experience it really depends on what the wyvern hatches with.  I'll try and take a stab at putting something into writing for you:

Wyverns

Fickle creatures, especially when you are attempting to milk one, wyverns are the king of Scorch.  When it comes to the Island, they are also very daunting and intimidating creatures.  Able to fly, breath fire/lightning/poison, pickup many/most other dinosaurs, yet still able to sprint on land, perform a knock-back, and even travel underwater (they do not consume oxygen underwater however you cannot ride them beyond a certain depth).  They are rideable without a saddle, though this also leaves them more vulnerable than other tames with a lack of upgradeable armor.

Contents:

• Uses
    • DPS
    • Utility
    • Speed Racer/Drop Chaser
  • Raising Your Wyvern
  • Final Notes

Uses

Wyverns can be put into several categories and are suitable for all of them.  This also means that sometimes you will find that another dino may fit into a specific role a little better, but their versatility makes them a fantastic all-around mount.  A note though, wyverns are big.  My tribemate first compared it to trying to fly a school bus through a car garage.  They move like a 747 (a turbojet built by Boeing).  So you are gonna have to get used to them.  Don't expect to just buy one off a trader in the forums and take it directly into battle.  You'll likely get killed/picked/stuck.  So practice a little with it first.

DPS (damage per second)

Wyverns can shoot one of three different weapons out of their maws: fire, lightning, or poison.

- The fire is a short range cone of area of effect(AoE) that does damage over time(DoT also department of transportation, though we'll get to that later).  This is great for taking out players and for killing most creatures smaller than the wyvern.  The initial breath does a certain amount of damage based upon their melee stat, however the DoT burn then does a set damage for a set amount of time.  This is very similar to the fire arrow.  The level of melee does not affect the DoT.  This breath attack uses stamina and, in my experience, the fire seems to use more stamina than the other wyverns, though YMMV(your mileage may vary).

- The lightning is a medium range direct beam of damage.  It has a limited AoE, and no DoT, though it does impart torpor.  You will not notice this unless you are shooting a high level carbonemys with a good saddle though (only time I knocked something out before killing it).  In all seriousness, yes it does impart torpor, but the damage it does is far greater than the amount of torpor and therefore is not usable for taming of anything.  The lightning breath is extremely powerful and levels directly with melee percentage, AKA the higher your melee percentage, the faster things die.  And I mean much faster.  Lightning wyverns are also a little bit faster than their counterparts if all of them are at base speed.

- The poison is a long range projectile that explodes on impact leaving a small AoE and a short but high DoT.  These distances and levels of measure are relative though.  The cloud itself is probably (not scientifically measured at all) about 1.5 times the height of an almost max height survivor.  Possibly 2x.  The only way I have knowledge of this is just by guessing from the times I've died from it or gotten out of it before dying.  The projectile moves faster than you fly, unless you've jacked up your speed (more on that later), however it has no tracking.  At close ranges it will sometimes auto target dinosaurs and things that are in front of you if you are aiming sort of at it, but that effective range isn't great.  This breath weapon seems to take the least amount of stamina.

- All wvvyerns are immune to their own breath attack used against them.  What I mean is a lightning wyvern cannot damage another lightning wyvern with their breath and so on to the other two.  HOWEVER while the lightning and fire will not harm the rider of a similar wyvern, THE POISON FROM A POISON WYVERN WILL KILL YOU.  Unless you are wearing a gas mask, or so I've heard as I've never had one to try it.  So tanking a fire wyvern with another fire wyvern, tanking a lightning with another lightning is your best bet.  Just don't get hit by that poison!  This is useful when fighting an alpha.  Though if you have a very high level lightning, it is better to just stay out of fire range and rain lightning on it, though as always YMMV.  All wyverns have the same knockback attack.  And all wyverns are saddleless.  ALL WYVERNS BREATH WEAPONS DAMAGE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING MINUS STRUCTURES.  Lemme say that again:

ALL WVYERNS' BREATH WEAPONS DAMAGE ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING MINUS STRUCTURES.  DO NOT DISMOUNT WHILE A BREATH WEAPON IS ACTIVE!! You will die.

On the subject of breath weapons, all of the wyverns' breath weapons are aimable.  This is to say that wherever your camera is looking, the lighting/fire/poison will shoot.  Sort of.  It's kind of difficult and there isn't a reticle or anything like that, so actually aiming their breath weapons, will take practice.  And I mean a fair amount of practice.  Especially if you're attempting to make precision shots with your poison.  But put some effort into it and you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

To wrap up, I will classify all of them into what I think is their best use if you are going to build a wyvern into a DPS machine:

1. Lightning = your best bet to kill anything quickly.  Especially seeing as you have to raise them, if you get a high level/high imprint, you are gonna be pretty unstoppable when it comes to killing any other dinosaur minus a rock golem, though I'm sure if you really tried you could do this too.
  2. Fire = your second best bet to kill anything, short range, support.  When you're fighting something in a team, dip in there real quick get a breath off, and let it burn while the rest of your team continues to whack away at whatever you're fighting WARNING: You CAN and WILL damage your team mates/tames if you get them within the AoE.  If you are PvPing, guerilla/hit and run tactics are all you.
  3. Poison = long range siege weapon.  That poison cloud is deadly to anything stuck within it.  It does not slow or blind like dilo spit/plant X projectiles, but it burns.  And it burns a lot.  Hang outside of range of the melee attack and just shoot poison balls.  You will need to just regen stamina every now and then.

As far as how to build/spec your wyvern, it will all depend on how it hatches.  If it's your first wyvern, I would recommend trying to get something over 100, but if you end up only being able to barter/find/snatch a level 80 or higher, that'll be fine.  A 100% imprinted wyvern, is a force to be reckoned with, regardless of whether it is a level 50 or 150, but as far as feeding/raising/care goes, you're going to want as high a level as you can get.  This is due to the food stat.  A higher level wyvern will have most likely put more points into food.  Now there is a balance here.  If they put a lot of points into food, raising is going to be easy, but they could've put those points elsewhere.  Lower levels are gonna have less food, most likely.  If you are already established and have many a wyvern, I would recommend nothing lower than a 150.  Though keep any egg you find in the triple digits.  These are useful for trading as either fully grown, or just an egg (see the second sentence of this paragraph).  As far as specs go, for a DPS wyvern, you're going to want to hope for (in this order): health, melee, stamina.  Health is going to be your number one priority due to the wyvern's lack of a saddle.  You will lose a lot of health in many engagements, though if you got a good imprint, this will help a lot.  Anything close to 10k is phenominal and if you get anything over 7k, you're going to want to push that to 20k.  If you get something from 5-7k, push it to 12k, then get your melee where you want it.  If you have levels left, push it to 15k.  Melee you want as close to 300% as possible. Anything over 250% is phenominal.  You'll want to push this to 400%, unless you got a 7k+ health.  At which point get as close to 400% as possible, depending on your starting melee, this may not be possible, but you should at least be able to hit 350%.  As far as stamina goes, this is only a concern if you find you don't have enough stamina to last long engagements.  Your wyvern, if it's a high level, should've popped with over 2k.  If it didn't, go ahead and put some points here after you get your health up over 10k, until the stamina is over 2k.  Then proceed with your build until you've got 15k or 20k health and 400% melee.  If you have achieved both of these and you aren't maxed out, a few points into stamina will help with long engagements.  Or just keep pumping melee.  It's your call.

These are just suggestions and what I have found works from experience.  I've never had a super wyvern pop, though I did get one that imprinted with over 10k health.  That leads me to another thing:

- These suggestions are based off of hatch stats.  This is not what the stats are going to look like at the end of your raising depending on how well you imprinted.  If you get a 250%+ melee wyvern and 100% imprint it, you're going to end up with 300%+ melee starting damage, which is the best case scenario.  Anything over 300% after imprint is perfect.  Link for imprinting clarity: Imprinting

Utility

It's no secret wyverns are quick, and typically can carry a good bit of weight.  Especially if you put them to a dedicated weight dino.  If you hatch a couple wyverns, which I highly recommend (more on that later), and you get one that hatches with anything over 500 weight, that's a good candidate for your weight/utility wyvern.  After a 100% imprint, a 500+ weight wyvern, will end up with 600+ weight.  None of the wyverns are more or less suited to being a weight dino, so don't worry if this is a lightning, fire, or poison.  The only thing would be that sometimes, especially in the Scorch, the metal deposits are in a dangerous place.  If your weight dino is a poison, you will not have a great defensive breath weapon and you'll have to rely on the melee/knockback attack.  This isn't really a hindrance, just something to keep in mind.  So if you hatch a weight-centric wyvern, I highly suggest you make that your dedicated weight carrier.  One of these plus a high level mantis with good tools, is a sure-fire recipe for success.  When it's fully raised, take it out and level it until you're at 1200+ weight.  That's where I like to start, but you can go to 1500 if you really want to.  At this point you can invest a few points into speed to make your metal ferrying even faster/more efficient.  WARNING: A high speed wyvern is like a jumbo jet on steroids.  One of my tribemates put it best when he said "You have to contact the tower and you have to get clearance to land or you will go shooting by."  So only a few points here is really necessary.  I would suggest 130% speed and anything left over continue to put into weight.

Side note:  I keep quoting imprinting numbers.  Be aware that a 100% imprint is a good bit of work.  Wyverns take 4 days to mature and you can skip a couple of hours for an imprint and still end up with a 100%, just don't skip too many.  I will go over some raising advice and technique... (skip down)

Speed Racer/Drop Chaser

This is something that we(one of my tribemates) discovered later.  The loot crates in the desert are spaced all around the map, just like the deep sea crates, but there's no ocean.  At night, they glow like little red beacons of wonder.  So once you've raised all of your wyverns because you should've raised a couple (see Raising Your Wyvern), when you invariably have one left that you haven't traded away yet, but you already have your utility and one or two DPSers, I highly recommend a speed wyvern.  Just like a ptera that you level for drop chasing, except yours breaths fire/lightning/poison and is wayyyy bigger.  And can carry useful amounts of weight/other dinos.  Doesn't matter what kind, doesn't matter what stats, though good stamina would be useful/preferable.  You aren't going to be killing any deathworms, but you can fly by so fast they don't even have time to render.  I will say this again though:

WARNING: HIGH SPEED WYVERNS ARE LIKE JUMBO JETS ON STEROIDS.

Ever heard of the Concord?  It was a supersonic passenger jet that made the flight from JFK to Heathrow in 2 hours.  2 hours.  That's moving.  This is exactly how fast you're going to be moving as well.  These are fun, but again you need a whole friggin runway to land this sucker.  Even at the non-sprinting speed, you will fly past your whole base real quick.

Raising Your Wyvern

Right here!  Now you ask why didn't I put this up front?  Well idk.  Poor planning.  ANYWHO, here we go:

Wyverns are a lot of effort.  Wyverns are also one of the easiest dinosaurs to raise.  "But Platinum you just said they were a lot of effort?"  I did indeed.  Wyverns are an interesting creature because they only eat wyvern milk while raising.  However their food drops significantly slower than any other dinosaur in the game.  1 milk will last you over 3 hours.  Math: their food drops at 360 food/hour give or take(Source), milk gives 1200 food per feeding, providing that the wyvern can hold 1200 food above where they are currently at, so 1200food / 360food/hour = 3.333333hours or 3 and 1/3 hours or 3 hours 20 minutes or...  You get the idea.  So you only have to feed these suckers once every 3 hours, which is just slightly under their imprint timer! Or potentially above it.  "Platinum you're right, they are super easy mode."  Hold on a minute, wyvern milk doesn't just grow in a medium crop plot.  You have to "milk" a female wyvern, or kill an alpha(see below).  "Platinum, how the raptor am I supposed to do that?"  Well again, it is easy.  But only if you're prepared.  To milk a wyvern you must knock it out.  Remember, this is females only.  Now they don't usually sit still whilst you are shooting them with a bow/crossbow/longneck/boomerang/(or if you're Rambo)electric prod.  So players have devised a way to keep them still while shooting them.  This is by using a trap.  You can find many guides to building one of these on the internet/YouTube/Twitch what have you, so I will not go over that here.  Suffice to say you know how to build one.  Now kiting(or leading) a wyvern into said trap isn't the easiest if you yourself are on a wyvern.  If you are using an argy/ptera/tape/lymantria(you sly dog you), just make sure there is a hole, two foundations wide by two foundations tall for you to fit through on the other side.  But if you're using a wyvern, you're going to have to sort of lead them into it by flying right next to it and behind it.  You need to practice this.  Especially as you are also going to need a way to close the wyvern in.  Providing you built a standard trap with a behemoth gate as the entrance/exit, you need a keypad close by behind the trap to use.  I would recommend 1111 for a pin code because lets be honest, you aren't the only one who will be using this trap and you're not trying to keep valuable safe.  Just a beasty in.  Now about the keypad: make sure it's far enough away to avoid damage.  But not so far away as to be difficult to get.  Wyverns de-aggro very quickly and you need to basically be getting off your wyvern as it's flying into the trap so that you can be closing the door before it has turned around.  I will say again: THIS TAKES PRACTICE.  Lots of practice.  So try it out BEFORE your wyvern is starving and needs milk like 10 minute ago.  Anyways, I forgot to say, you should probably have preserving salts on you or your wyvern.  If you're going to be using the milk right away, it doesn't matter, but if not you should extend the spoil timer as much as possible.  So you've knocked out the wyvern, you grabbed the milk by either eating it with your wyvern (it usually goes directly into your wyvern's inventory, but not always) or by taking it directly out, and you're flying back to your base to feed your starving, needy, little ingrates.  BUT WAIT: you should always reopen your trap.  It's just one less thing to worry about.  Once you have made it back to your little bebes, they will eat the milk up if they are hungry, but you may need to remote use the milk if they cannot take a full 1200 food.  This is only if you are "topping them off" (feeding them to maximum so you can sleep for a bit/go to work/pay attention to something else besides Ark), or they are very young and very low level.  Another note on their food is that, while it does drop slowly and there is a fair amount of it, if, for whatever reason, you cannot get milk right away, you have a buffer.  When their food is at zero they will start to lose health.  Wyverns will lose health slower than most other creatures, so if you overslept, or just DC'd, don't panic.  Yet.  Once you start losing health, you have a very limited time to get milk.  If they have over 1k health, you probably have a little over a half an hour to get milk.  I tested how much health they lose a while back when I was raising my second batch ever, but I have since forgotten what it is.  I want to say it was about 200 health per 10 minutes, but that is pretty generous.  I would say that if you start losing health, better to be safe than sorry.  If they have over 1k health, assume that you have 20 minutes to get milk and get back to them.  This should give you enough time to trap a wyvern, milk it, and get back in time to feed the milk to the baby before it starts getting real bloody.

So there you have it.  Everything you need to know to raise your wyvern. Or almost at least.  Now go rest up and get some coffee from the grocery store. You're going to need it.

And one last note, you should raise at least 5 wyverns.  When you "milk" a normal female wyvern, you get 5 wyvern milk.  Sure you could drink some, or trade em away, but that means that every time you milk a wyvern, if you're not imprinting and you're just feeding, you are wasting milk if you don't have 5 hungry little babies.  Do as you wish, but I would recommend at least 5.  I wouldn't recommend more than 10 because that is a LOT of effort.  You have to milk at least 2 females and if you're imprinting, you should be prepared to milk another 1 to 2 more females.  Now these issues can be relieved if you find yourself an alpha, but these aren't always on demand.  On that note, dropping an alpha will yield you 50 milk.  At this point you can start giving it away to the server.  You will quickly become everyone's best friend.  What you didn't think other people were raising wyverns?  And here I thought you were smart...  Jk :Jerblove:

An additional last note(last one I swear): alphas drop 50 milk when killed.  Though they probably don't have anything else of value, the milk and experienced gained from killing one is well worth the effort.  You can either tank it with another fire, or shoot lightning at it until it's dead.  I wouldn't recommend trapping it unless you're just going to shoot it with lightning.  Because more than likely your trap is made of stone and the alpha will destroy it in short order if you are close enough for it to start biting.  So if you are onyc-poop crazy and you're raising 20+ wyverns, this is your savior.  However milk only lasts up to 3 hours in a preserving bin with preserving salt, if you managed to instantly transport it from the alpha to the bin.  So nominally you'll keep it for about 2.5 hours.  Which is enough if you are planning ahead and you are awaiting imprints or are just looking to top off all of your wyverns.  However if you didn't raise 20 some-odd wyverns, you've got a lot of milk left over.  Be a good sport and offer anyone in the server milk.  They will thank you and more than likely return the favour later.

Final Notes

And that's it.  That should be a pretty complete guide to raising/specing a wyvern.  If you read all the way through it, I certainly appreciate it.  I do tend to ramble at times and this was no exception.  However almost everything in here is good information I've either picked up from this forum, from the wiki, from other players, or by firsthand experience.  Almost everything.  So if you have a differing opinion, an additional comment, a disagreement, or a correction, please post it.  Don't quote this whole post, just the part you wish to comment/correct/disagree with.  And if you liked it, go ahead and upvote it.  I didn't look for any guides, but I'm sure they're out there, so this is probably redundant.  But I hope it helps.

Platinum's analysis is pretty spot on, but my general comments are this: Fight fire with fire. I know some people have advised against that, but if you take a Lightning Wyvern against an Alpha, a huge bulk of the damage you take will be from its breath attack (every time it does a "pass," it seems to initiate with at least one blast of fire). Using a Fire Wyvern will take this damage completely out of the equation, and while you're losing your own breath weapon, hitting it with melee attacks does the job just fine. After some practice, you can even get to the point of taking no damage at all fighting other wyverns. I've got multiple Alpha kills under my belt using this method.

Generally, I'd recommend Health, Stamina, then Melee. If you imprint, you'll never need to worry about Speed or Weight. Health and Melee are kind of up to you, whether you prefer tankiness or dps, but I'd generally recommend ~2000-2500 Stamina. The Fire and Lightning Wyvern both use 125 Stamina per breath attack, but at that level, you'll probably not notice it unless you're simultaneously sprint flying and spamming your breath attack. I generally run a little-more melee-heavy on my wyverns, since their lack of saddle makes the extra 5k HP not-so-useful IMPO, but like I said, if you find that more HP and less Melee works for you, then go for it. The main thing is to just get used to how the Wyvern handles, because like Platinum said the thing is like a jumbo jet, and it turns like a Bronto while flying.

1 hour ago, PuffyPony said:

Platinum's analysis is pretty spot on, but my general comments are this: Fight fire with fire. I know some people have advised against that, but if you take a Lightning Wyvern against an Alpha, a huge bulk of the damage you take will be from its breath attack (every time it does a "pass," it seems to initiate with at least one blast of fire). Using a Fire Wyvern will take this damage completely out of the equation, and while you're losing your own breath weapon, hitting it with melee attacks does the job just fine. After some practice, you can even get to the point of taking no damage at all fighting other wyverns. I've got multiple Alpha kills under my belt using this method.

Generally, I'd recommend Health, Stamina, then Melee. If you imprint, you'll never need to worry about Speed or Weight. Health and Melee are kind of up to you, whether you prefer tankiness or dps, but I'd generally recommend ~2000-2500 Stamina. The Fire and Lightning Wyvern both use 125 Stamina per breath attack, but at that level, you'll probably not notice it unless you're simultaneously sprint flying and spamming your breath attack. I generally run a little-more melee-heavy on my wyverns, since their lack of saddle makes the extra 5k HP not-so-useful IMPO, but like I said, if you find that more HP and less Melee works for you, then go for it. The main thing is to just get used to how the Wyvern handles, because like Platinum said the thing is like a jumbo jet, and it turns like a Bronto while flying.

He was talking about alpha deathworms

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

He was talking about alpha deathworms

I was actually talking about alpha wyverns.  If you fly in the so called "circle of death" you can reliably hit the alpha with your lightning attack and never once take damage from its breath nor its melee.  But I agree that if you're going to tank, you have to do it with a fire.  I've never actually fought an alpha death worm, though I would assume it's very similar to a normal deathworm except takes longer and moves faster.  Lightning would certainly be your best bet here because my 220+ lightning was at 15k health, 400%+ melee, and 95% imprint.  It took around 40 seconds to kill a normal deathworm and like I said, I never actually saw, let alone killed, an alpha deathworm.

52 minutes ago, PlatinumCore16 said:

I was actually talking about alpha wyverns.  If you fly in the so called "circle of death" you can reliably hit the alpha with your lightning attack and never once take damage from its breath nor its melee.  But I agree that if you're going to tank, you have to do it with a fire.  I've never actually fought an alpha death worm, though I would assume it's very similar to a normal deathworm except takes longer and moves faster.  Lightning would certainly be your best bet here because my 220+ lightning was at 15k health, 400%+ melee, and 95% imprint.  It took around 40 seconds to kill a normal deathworm and like I said, I never actually saw, let alone killed, an alpha deathworm.

No, the op was asking about deathworms not alpha wyverns

I've killed an alpha deathworm with a freshly raised 185 lightning wyvern, but it was a close fight.  Don't stand in and trade punches with the worm, stay at the edge if its attack range and only move in to take a hit to keep it from diving.  All alpha deathworms are level 1.

I've tried to take on an alpha deathworm with my level 253 fire wyvern (600% damage, 11.6k health) and had to retreat.  Fire doesn't have the reach to stay out of harm's way nor the pulse damage of the lightning beam.

Alpha wyverns I always use my fire wyvern and tank them.  Against a 180 alpha, I'll lose about 2/3 health worst case.  Less if I remember to fully regain stamina before I engage or I'm more cautious about timing his breath so I can get a few unanswered bites in.

Strafing with a lightning wyvern would be virtually damage free, but could be deadly if you run out of stamina and are forced to land and get lit up.

Since alpha wyverns vary in level, always check before you engage.  A high level alpha will make short work of a fresh or low level wyvern.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, iAmE said:

I've had no issues 1v1ing an ADW with a 10k/500% Fire Wyvern. At all. Surprises me to see so many people quoting such silly numbers like "15-20k HP". They're not that bad >.>

But what is your imprint %?  If you are the imprinter then yea it's not bad, but if you aren't then you're going to lose a lot of health.  That may be acceptable to you, but also keep in mind that maybe someone doesn't want to sit there for 20 minutes spamming the right trigger on meat, let alone gathering enough to actually make a difference.  Instead of letting that wyvern sit by itself for a good hour or two.

Any wyvern of any level can kill an alpha deathworm.  They're a lot easier to kill than regular death worms because you can dance with them.  I typically only get hit once or twice fighting them.

First, know that if you fail to engage an alpha deathworm quickly, it will simply despawn.  So, first thing you need to do is aggro the thing and let it pop out.

After it's engaged then you dance with it.  When it burrows up to you you should be able to get 4-6 chomps on it while it's still in the sand.  Once it pops up you should have enough time to take off, fly in a tight circle and land out of its range.  If you do this part flawlessly you will have enough time to let out a lightning breath.  If you're using fire you can burn the ground instead of chomping it, but chomping does more damage.

Rinse and repeat.  A regular deathworm instantly attacks when it pops up, but an alpha deathworm gives you a couple seconds to fly off after it pops up, making it an easier, albeit more time consuming, kill.

It is completely irrelevant what stats you have on Poison or Lightning.

These Wyvern can beat every Deathworm without taking a single point of damage without any issues.

The Keyword is wingflap. It pushes Deatworms away and makes them unable to attack you. Wait until it almost reaches you, and press C. Then range attack them. It can't do anything.

The fire on the other hand.

You need to outdamage or outtank an Alpha.

Just take a Poison or a Lightning.

Archived