raw mutton Raw Mutton faster than Kibble, better than Prime

MrJonesDK

You all properly know that the Ovis / Sheep just was release in the recent patch, but maybe you don't know that its meat is called "Raw Mutton".

Raw Mutton is giving way faster taming than kibble and better efficiency than Raw Prime Meat. Even Cooked Mutton (Cooked Lamp Chop) has is both faster and have better efficiency than Raw Prime Meat.

Taming a 150 Rex on a official server would take 35 min less with Raw Mutton, than taming it with kibble, but you would loose one taming level.

Try look on Dododex and see the difference: http://www.dododex.com/taming/rex

Raw Mutton takes 1 min to be cooked in to Cooked Lamp Chop.

Btw: Level up food on the Ovis / Sheep now make it producing wool faster.

I just made a video about what I wrote above, if anyone would find it interesting:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

This is such a welcome addition to the game. The kibble tree made for a ridiculous time sink, ridiculous lag bases, and I always just thought that it was dumb for something like a Tyrannosaurus to prefer kibble over chunks of raw meat.

I don't like the time sink or the lag either, but it's just ridiculously easy to tame stuff now. They may as well have just increased the multiplier. Eggs for anything carnivore are basically completely useless now. That's just shut out half the egg game with one change. They could have come up with something a bit better here. Introducing a new kind of taming resource that trumps pretty much everything and does it in a quarter of the time is a change that required more attention.

10 minutes ago, Thalantyr said:

I don't like the time sink or the lag either, but it's just ridiculously easy to tame stuff now. They may as well have just increased the multiplier. Eggs for anything carnivore are basically completely useless now. That's just shut out half the egg game with one change. They could have come up with something a bit better here. Introducing a new kind of taming resource that trumps pretty much everything and does it in a quarter of the time is a change that required more attention.

I agree, this is a much needed addition. 

Unless you've tried to tame (finding a sheep is the hard part) or breed one of these (maybe you have), I don't see how you can call this ridiculously easy. It takes two days to raise one of these. Took me about an hour to find each of the 2 that I found. I don't think anyone is going to start a tame then just go out and kill a sheep and bam! tame is finishted. To use the mutton it takes pre-planning (getting a sheep in advance) and possibly maintaining a small herd of them for when they are needed.

I don't think it will replace eggs completely, but certainly gives you an option, where there really was none before.

The more people that stop creating 100 dino egg farms the better. The lag is out of control on some servers.

Just now, wildbill said:

I don't think it will replace eggs completely, but certainly gives you an option, where there really was none before.

Why don't you think so though? I'm interested in a reason as to why you would possibly look to store eggs other than to have them there for imprinting kibble. As a heavy breeder and someone who is interested in getting the most out of every breed, one level from a tame doesn't make much difference. You'd always go with mutton. It's a lot easier to just find some Ovis over a couple of hours and get the mutton than it is to have a kibble farm, wait for the eggs, make them into kibble and then go off and tame (and it takes longer). I'm not sure where you got that there weren't options. There's always been options. Carnivores have Kibble, Raw Prime, Cooked Prime, Raw Meat, Cooked Meat, Raw Fish, etc. Those options exist for those who don't have kibble. I'm happy for the mutton to exist, but it's about weighting it against the others. If mutton takes LESS time (by far) then it should be a MAJOR drop in efficiency. That would mean people who want a quick tame can go do it. I can't see why you'd come up with a system to practically replace the top one (being kibble).

8 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The more people that stop creating 100 dino egg farms the better. The lag is out of control on some servers.

I don't like the egg farms. They take up a lot of room and cause insane lag. It's horrible. That's not really a reason to just introduce something that trumps eggs/kibble though. Why not look at some sort of alternate system with eggs rather than a single item from a single dino/animal. Oviraptors have become an obsolete dino now, and you're right, dino farms are now a thing of the past. I just think more effort could have gone into this decision and how it was implemented.

3 minutes ago, Thalantyr said:

Why don't you think so though? I'm interested in a reason as to why you would possibly look to store eggs other than to have them there for imprinting kibble. As a heavy breeder and someone who is interested in getting the most out of every breed, one level from a tame doesn't make much difference. You'd always go with mutton. It's a lot easier to just find some Ovis over a couple of hours and get the mutton than it is to have a kibble farm, wait for the eggs, make them into kibble and then go off and tame (and it takes longer). I'm not sure where you got that there weren't options. There's always been options. Carnivores have Kibble, Raw Prime, Cooked Prime, Raw Meat, Cooked Meat, Raw Fish, etc. Those options exist for those who don't have kibble. I'm happy for the mutton to exist, but it's about weighting it against the others. If mutton takes LESS time (by far) then it should be a MAJOR drop in efficiency. That would mean people who want a quick tame can go do it. I can't see why you'd come up with a system to practically replace the top one (being kibble).

I don't like the egg farms. They take up a lot of room and cause insane lag. It's horrible. That's not really a reason to just introduce something that trumps eggs/kibble though. Why not look at some sort of alternate system with eggs rather than a single item from a single dino/animal. Oviraptors have become an obsolete dino now, and you're right, dino farms are now a thing of the past. I just think more effort could have gone into this decision and how it was implemented.

OK, your first point. Not sure it won't replace kibble, but if it does, doesn't bother me one bit. It can't 100% replace it unless they come out with something for omnivores. Currently the server I'm on, I've memorized parts of the map you just don't want to fly by. Flying by certain bases means lag like you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would :D ). I don't understand how the owners of those bases can stand the lag. Although I have seen that after 3 - 5 minutes at the base, the lag goes down to a somewhat tolerable level.

The other options are not options for doing instead of kibble as they take more time and are much less efficient. To be an option to use instead of kibble, it must either be quicker or be more efficient. So as it turns out, mutton is quicker and almost as efficient, so really the first option that is provided in game that can actually be used instead of kibble.

If it was a MAJOR drop in efficiency, it couldn't replace kibble. I think you probably have a large egg farm and have a serious emotional attachment to it (this game does that to you :D ). I can certainly see many people who have invested many real days worth of time being annoyed by this, but it had to happen.

Your last point, the game isn't finished, who knows how they might fine or not so fine tune this. Although I'm liking it. Keep in mind the sheep are very rare. Have you tried looking for them?

I'm hoping to get a decent sheep farm going and trade them to other players for stuff. So far I'm finding that to not be an easy task though.

9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

OK, your first point. Not sure it won't replace kibble, but if it does, doesn't bother me one bit. It can't 100% replace it unless they come out with something for omnivores. Currently the server I'm on, I've memorized parts of the map you just don't want to fly by. Flying by certain bases means lag like you wouldn't believe (or maybe you would :D ). I don't understand how the owners of those bases can stand the lag. Although I have seen that after 3 - 5 minutes at the base, the lag goes down to a somewhat tolerable level.

I have no dispute on the lag. It's horrible. I'm not so sure it's all related to dinos though. I think it's more about the 50,000 structure pieces it needs to load for large bases.

9 minutes ago, wildbill said:

The other options are not options for doing instead of kibble as they take more time and are much less efficient. To be an option to use instead of kibble, it must either be quicker or be more efficient. So as it turns out, mutton is quicker and almost as efficient, so really the first option that is provided in game that can actually be used instead of kibble.

I need to go over this one with you. Basically what you're saying here is that there needs to be an alternate to kibble. Something as good as kibble, but not kibble. Is there a reason why? The other options are there as stepping stones. You can decide which one you use as each becomes harder to get. Raw Meat is easy to get, less efficient, takes longer. Prime Raw Meat a bit harder to get, a bit more efficient, takes a bit less time than Raw Meat. Then you get to the top which is kibble, which is the most efficient and takes the least amount of time due to the fact it takes the most effort. I'm trying to understand why there needs to be an alternate to kibble? It's in place at the top because it's the hardest thing (of the bunch) to do.

I hear what you're saying in regards to 'if there is an option instead of kibble it must be quicker or more efficient'. The thing is though, it's not only faster, it's ALMOST as efficient as well. Wouldn't it make more sense that if it's much faster then it's 50% as efficient? Putting in 'an option' to kibble that's quicker and almost as efficient means that the original option (kibble) basically becomes useless (for Carnivores), so there's no more 'alternate option' as one is now superior to the other one, defeating your point of needing an alternate. Does that make sense? (trying to figure out if I'm explaining it correctly).

17 minutes ago, wildbill said:

If it was a MAJOR drop in efficiency, it couldn't replace kibble. I think you probably have a large egg farm and have a serious emotional attachment to it (this game does that to you :D ). I can certainly see many people who have invested many real days worth of time being annoyed by this, but it had to happen.

It shouldn't be 'replacing' kibble. What you've just said backs up what I'm saying here. It's replacing kibble rather than being an alternate option that has some sort of disadvantage to choosing that direction over kibble.

In regards to the egg farm, no sir. I have a small 7x7 odd base with a 2x2 Dodo pen at this point, and have never really had a big farm. I just think it's a silly change to the core game.

5 minutes ago, Thalantyr said:

I have no dispute on the lag. It's horrible. I'm not so sure it's all related to dinos though. I think it's more about the 50,000 structure pieces it needs to load for large bases.

I need to go over this one with you. Basically what you're saying here is that there needs to be an alternate to kibble. Something as good as kibble, but not kibble. Is there a reason why? The other options are there as stepping stones. You can decide which one you use as each becomes harder to get. Raw Meat is easy to get, less efficient, takes longer. Prime Raw Meat a bit harder to get, a bit more efficient, takes a bit less time than Raw Meat. Then you get to the top which is kibble, which is the most efficient and takes the least amount of time due to the fact it takes the most effort. I'm trying to understand why there needs to be an alternate to kibble? It's in place at the top because it's the hardest thing (of the bunch) to do.

I hear what you're saying in regards to 'if there is an option instead of kibble it must be quicker or more efficient'. The thing is though, it's not only faster, it's ALMOST as efficient as well. Wouldn't it make more sense that if it's much faster then it's 50% as efficient? Putting in 'an option' to kibble that's quicker and almost as efficient means that the original option (kibble) basically becomes useless (for Carnivores), so there's no more 'alternate option' as one is now superior to the other one, defeating your point of needing an alternate. Does that make sense? (trying to figure out if I'm explaining it correctly).

It shouldn't be 'replacing' kibble. What you've just said backs up what I'm saying here. It's replacing kibble rather than being an alternate option that has some sort of disadvantage to choosing that direction over kibble.

In regards to the egg farm, no sir. I have a small 7x7 odd base with a 2x2 Dodo pen at this point, and have never really had a big farm. I just think it's a silly change to the core game.

OK, yes, I think kibble needs to be replaced. So lets say the lag is the huge bases, not the dinos. When you have a base with 100 - 200 dinos for an egg farm, that isn't small, it is a huge base. So part of the lag problem is the egg farms. The game needs to change where you don't need the huge amount of tamed dinos and hence the huge base to keep them safe.

So people will still have a lot of dinos for breeding, but much less, because there are only a few dinos worth breeding, not the huge number for kibble to tame. Now at the moment on the Island you need 15 types of kibble for imprinting, so that will need to be addressed too if we are to rid ourselves of the huge bases.

So adding mutton is probably just step one of replacing kibble. Once they do step two, lets say it is something that has better efficiency than kibble, but takes longer. Then you can tune the mutton to be quicker than kibble but less efficient. In the mean time, you want mutton to replace kibble all by itself at the moment, so faster, and almost as efficient.

Also, as it stands, mutton can't replace kibble, just some kibbles. You still need all those kibble for imprinting.

Oh, if there was only a road map, so we knew what all the changes being made are ultimately in the game for :D

I see it as a way to help reduce lag on the servers because of the not as much need for egg layers. My concern since they are so rare to find is how readily available. Depending on how many you get from each baby, I see people having like 1 male and 5-10 females and being able to tame pretty much any lvl carnivore.

2 minutes ago, Iamac0wm00 said:

I see it as a way to help reduce lag on the servers because of the not as much need for egg layers. My concern since they are so rare to find is how readily available. Depending on how many you get from each baby, I see people having like 1 male and 5-10 females and being able to tame pretty much any lvl carnivore.

Hmm, maybe not just one male. You are thinking like this is an egg farm. These don't have baby sheep unless you breed them manually. You can only breed one pair about every 2 days. So you need an equal amount of males and females if your goal is to raise the most number of sheep from those you have.

Although I think it would be pretty cool if all you had to do was feed them and they would do the breeding and raising of the sheep on their own. They are domesticated after all, they should be able to do that all on their own :D

10 hours ago, wildbill said:

Hmm, maybe not just one male. You are thinking like this is an egg farm. These don't have baby sheep unless you breed them manually. You can only breed one pair about every 2 days. So you need an equal amount of males and females if your goal is to raise the most number of sheep from those you have.

Although I think it would be pretty cool if all you had to do was feed them and they would do the breeding and raising of the sheep on their own. They are domesticated after all, they should be able to do that all on their own :D

Males don't have a CD on breeding lol. You only need one

12 hours ago, wildbill said:

As said above - one male can service all your females, they're hard workers. :P
I'm doing much the same, snag any sheep I find, breed the females daily, and excess males will be ready for slaughter on demand. Only had two births so far, but both were twins. At this rate I see some females make it to the chopping block too if a tempting tame presents itself.
They only take two days to raise, with a small investment in a breeding pair you can expand the herd reasonably fast. Only downside I found is that with slim pickings, you probably end up with low level babies that need handfeeding right up until juvenile.

Might as well adopt the whole food system from prim+, varied meats, additional crops, into the main game

When I joined prim+, poultry was similar in effect, fast and reasonably effective, (still is, but stack size changes balance things well)

The crops act as a 'prime veg' as well. (Rice is faster than kibble, only slightly less effective)

Thoughts?

20 hours ago, Thalantyr said:

To hell with the egg game, if you can even call it a game.

Waiting for unwanted Stegos and Diplos to lay a reasonable amount of eggs to cook, or getting punished by the RNG because you prefer not to stand next to your dinos for unpredictable time intervals to get their egg dropping algorithm to deliver what you need, was dumb. Taming low-tier carnivores with Mutton is a god-send, especially when their kibble is unreasonable for what they are (Dimetrodons, Dimorphodons,  Carno, Sarco). I'd be okay with Mutton getting nerfed if egg laying intervals were far more better. Having only 1 female Diplo do the job of 3, or fixing the way Dimetrodons lay eggs completely would make it more welcome for me. But until then, good riddance, half of my egg farm. May the Troodons enjoy you.

On 05/02/2017 at 6:43 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

To hell with the egg game, if you can even call it a game.

Waiting for unwanted Stegos and Diplos to lay a reasonable amount of eggs to cook, or getting punished by the RNG because you prefer not to stand next to your dinos for unpredictable time intervals to get their egg dropping algorithm to deliver what you need, was dumb. Taming low-tier carnivores with Mutton is a god-send, especially when their kibble is unreasonable for what they are (Dimetrodons, Dimorphodons,  Carno, Sarco). I'd be okay with Mutton getting nerfed if egg laying intervals were far more better. Having only 1 female Diplo do the job of 3, or fixing the way Dimetrodons lay eggs completely would make it more welcome for me. But until then, good riddance, half of my egg farm. May the Troodons enjoy you.

The mutton just changed the multiplier from x2 to x4 or similar. You now tame whatever % faster and achieve the same results in efficiency (other than a L150, which is -1 level). I agree that the lag had to be fixed but the rest of it was fine. Eggs were something to raid, even if they weighed a tonne. If anything needed more options it was herbivores as they rarely have more than 2-3 options for taming, compared to the 7-8 for carnivores. If the change was made to reduce lag then they probably succeeded. Peoples bases will shrink, there will be less dinos, etc. If the change was made to dumb down the game more they also succeeded. Taming times were fine where they were, at 2x.

2 hours ago, Thalantyr said:

If anything needed more options it was herbivores as they rarely have more than 2-3 options for taming, compared to the 7-8 for carnivores. 

More options for Herbivores I agree completely, but carnivores don't have 7-8 VIABLE options unless  you are talking about taming level 5's for egg layers.  High levels only had 1 serious option and that was kibble, now they have 2 (maybe 3 if you accept cooked mutton).

I think they need to take a step back from what exists currently and rethink what they want to achieve and how to do it.  Applying bandaids to the current mess isn't going to end well.

8 hours ago, Kallor said:

More options for Herbivores I agree completely, but carnivores don't have 7-8 VIABLE options unless  you are talking about taming level 5's for egg layers.  High levels only had 1 serious option and that was kibble, now they have 2 (maybe 3 if you accept cooked mutton).

I think they need to take a step back from what exists currently and rethink what they want to achieve and how to do it.  Applying bandaids to the current mess isn't going to end well.

I completely disagree, I use Prime meat when kibble isn't available all the time...

Archived