Why I hate this Game

HeatherJo

Im sure you all are probably sick of posts like this so I apologize in advance but I'm really not trying to be whiny or negative, just trying address fixable issues.  I have been ill for three years and the last two of those I have basically been in a bed.  I really enjoy finding fun games that can help me not think about what I am going though and just give me some enjoyment.   I was hoping this was one of them but unfortunately this has turned out to be a horribly frustrating  game.  First of alI I had crazy issues when I first downloaded it, the game was very bugged, eventually after hours of troubleshooting I was able to re download and get it to work. I decided play on a pve server because I really didn't want to spend a ton of time working on something to see it destroyed.    Plus I am very social and love talking with and helping others and was looking forward to some community.  On a side note, I get that game is suppose to be hard and it's a bout survival but I'm really surprised most people even last a few minutes before moving on.  I mean there a ton of game options out there.  I died about ten times initially because it kept spawning me right next to an Alpha Raptor on the "easy" south beach lol, I would hate to see hard what do you you spawn in hell? ;). So I was dead before I had a chance.  

Finally I was able to at least spawn elsewhere and Eventually start progressing, only to find out that there is nowhere to build.  I spent hours server after server trying to find one that every inch hadn't been claimed by columns.  Again I'm really surprised new players last most don't have tenacity.  Finally after a day and a half of this I was finally able to find a spot and start building, this of course I enjoy immensely.  This part of the game is great and I really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately my bliss wore off soon.  The controls, specifically the wheel on Xbox leaves a lot to be desired and you have to be very deliberate using them and even then your probably going to chose something you didn't want to do.  This get annoying very fast but like any new game eventually you gut used to stuff like this, but this could be an easy fix not sure why it's this way other than to intentionally frustrate you.  

Then after all  my perseverance I was met with my biggest shock, the people.  The people are just awful.  Now I'm sure not everyone that plays this is this way but everyone I met was.  I was extremely saddened since I am such a people person and love interacting and helping out.   Not the case here, this might as well be pvp, everyone is out for themselves and mean. Actually pvp is probably nicer because at least there you know what your getting into.  No body would talk to you, people were rude, if they were around you they would spam their invites to their tribes ( just so they could steal your resources I'm sure). Seriously I had one guy follow me around doing this for fifteen minutes. Then, I spent hours on end building a wonderful base I was so proud of only to have it destroyed by jerks aggroing Dino's into my base.  To me this is a Serious issue but after reading many posts the devs don't care and in fact seem to encourage this behavior.  Pve to me should be free from this pvp mentality.  Do these people get off of this stuff so they think it's funny?  I think people like this are sick.  I did nothing to deserve this just trying to be friendly and enjoy the game and find others to enjoy it with, if I wanted crap like this I would go to pvp.  Again this is an EASY fix but since it's so prevalaint it just tells me that the devs want it this way.  if you are going have two versions of the game then there should be a distinction between those two versions.  Or just rename it pvp and worse pvp.   

The customer minded solution is simple. There should be consequences for actions like this, if people were banned for doing this or disciplined then I'm pretty sure most of it would stop and you would have a lot more happy paying customers.  But since there is no accountability or discipline people can run rampet and do what they like this chasing away many people.  I've seen it happen in many games over the years this same exact issue and eventually all you have left is thugs and bullies running the game and the majority the people have moved on.  The devs should wake up.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  I'm sure there are many wonderful people that play this game I just wished I would have met you instead!!

Maybe start off in SP, and you mentioned liking community try an unofficial RolePlay server, there are not many trolls and the ones who do join the admins generally kick them..... never start off on official, for a big ginger they are cancer..... seriously only when you have been on many servers (unofficial) and have weathered disappointment many times are you able to play official.

3 minutes ago, HeatherJo said:

Im sure you all are probably sick of posts like this so I apologize in advance but I'm really not trying to be whiny or negative, just trying address fixable issues.  I have been ill for three years and the last two of those I have basically been in a bed.  I really enjoy finding fun games that can help me not think about what I am going though and just give me some enjoyment.   I was hoping this was one of them but unfortunately this has turned out to be a horribly frustrating  game.  First of alI I had crazy issues when I first downloaded it, the game was very bugged, eventually after hours of troubleshooting I was able to re download and get it to work. I decided play on a pve server because I really didn't want to spend a ton of time working on something to see it destroyed.    Plus I am very social and love talking with and helping others and was looking forward to some community.  On a side note, I get that game is suppose to be hard and it's a bout survival but I'm really surprised most people even last a few minutes before moving on.  I mean there a ton of game options out there.  I died about ten times initially because it kept spawning me right next to an Alpha Raptor on the "easy" south beach lol, I would hate to see hard what do you you spawn in hell? ;). So I was dead before I had a chance.  Finally I was able to at least spawn elsewhere and Eventually start progressing, only to find out that there is nowhere to build.  I spent hours server after server trying to find one that every inch hadn't been claimed by columns.  Again I'm really surprised new players last most don't have tenacity.  Finally after a day and a half of this I was finally able to find a spot and start building, this of course I enjoy immensely.  This part of the game is great and I really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately my bliss wore off soon.  The controls, specifically the wheel on Xbox leaves a lot to be desired and you have to be very deliberate using them and even then your probably going to chose something you didn't want to do.  This get annoying very fast but like any new game eventually you gut used to stuff like this, but this could be an easy fix not sure why it's this way other than to intentionally frustrate you.  Then after all  my perseverance I was met with my biggest shock, the people.  The people are just awful.  Now I'm sure not everyone that plays this is this way but everyone I met was.  I was extremely saddened since I am such a people person and love interacting and helping out.   Not the case here, this might as well be pvp, everyone is out for themselves and mean. Actually pvp is probably nicer because at least there you know what your getting into.  No body would talk to you, people were rude, if they were around you they would spam their invites to their tribes ( just so they could steal your resources I'm sure). Seriously I had one guy follow me around doing this for fifteen minutes. Then, I spent hours on end building a wonderful base I was so proud of only to have it destroyed by jerks aggroing Dino's into my base.  To me this is a Serious issue but after reading many posts the devs don't care and in fact seem to encourage this behavior.  Pve to me should be free from this pvp mentality.  Do these people get off of this stuff so they think it's funny?  I think people like this are sick.  I did nothing to deserve this just trying to be friendly and enjoy the game and find others to enjoy it with, if I wanted crap like this I would go to pvp.  Again this is an EASY fix but since it's so prevalaint it just tells me that the devs want it this way.  if you are going have two versions of the game then there should be a distinction between those two versions.  Or just rename it pvp and worse pvp.   The customer minded solution is simple. There should be consequences for actions like this, if people were banned for doing this or disciplined then I'm pretty sure most of it would stop and you would have a lot more happy paying customers.  But since there is no accountability or discipline people can run rampet and do what they like this chasing away many people.  I've seen it happen in many games over the years this same exact issue and eventually all you have left is thugs and bullies running the game and the majority the people have moved on.  The devs should wake up.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  I'm sure there are many wonderful people that play this game I just wished I would have met you instead!!

First off you sir get a reputation added.

second I am sorry to hear you are that sick and it's unfortunate that some people don't care because they are very sick but in a different way other than you condition.

lastly, and sadly this game is not for you my friend. Not because anything is wrong with you but because there is something very wrong about this game. I have seen it turn people into horrible people, caused divorces, and the really sad part is the devs really don't care.

if I were you man I would definitely find a different game. And hopefully you get better soon.

14 minutes ago, HeatherJo said:

Im sure you all are probably sick of posts like this so I apologize in advance but I'm really not trying to be whiny or negative, just trying address fixable issues.  I have been ill for three years and the last two of those I have basically been in a bed.  I really enjoy finding fun games that can help me not think about what I am going though and just give me some enjoyment.   I was hoping this was one of them but unfortunately this has turned out to be a horribly frustrating  game.  First of alI I had crazy issues when I first downloaded it, the game was very bugged, eventually after hours of troubleshooting I was able to re download and get it to work. I decided play on a pve server because I really didn't want to spend a ton of time working on something to see it destroyed.    Plus I am very social and love talking with and helping others and was looking forward to some community.  On a side note, I get that game is suppose to be hard and it's a bout survival but I'm really surprised most people even last a few minutes before moving on.  I mean there a ton of game options out there.  I died about ten times initially because it kept spawning me right next to an Alpha Raptor on the "easy" south beach lol, I would hate to see hard what do you you spawn in hell? ;). So I was dead before I had a chance.  Finally I was able to at least spawn elsewhere and Eventually start progressing, only to find out that there is nowhere to build.  I spent hours server after server trying to find one that every inch hadn't been claimed by columns.  Again I'm really surprised new players last most don't have tenacity.  Finally after a day and a half of this I was finally able to find a spot and start building, this of course I enjoy immensely.  This part of the game is great and I really enjoyed it.  Unfortunately my bliss wore off soon.  The controls, specifically the wheel on Xbox leaves a lot to be desired and you have to be very deliberate using them and even then your probably going to chose something you didn't want to do.  This get annoying very fast but like any new game eventually you gut used to stuff like this, but this could be an easy fix not sure why it's this way other than to intentionally frustrate you.  Then after all  my perseverance I was met with my biggest shock, the people.  The people are just awful.  Now I'm sure not everyone that plays this is this way but everyone I met was.  I was extremely saddened since I am such a people person and love interacting and helping out.   Not the case here, this might as well be pvp, everyone is out for themselves and mean. Actually pvp is probably nicer because at least there you know what your getting into.  No body would talk to you, people were rude, if they were around you they would spam their invites to their tribes ( just so they could steal your resources I'm sure). Seriously I had one guy follow me around doing this for fifteen minutes. Then, I spent hours on end building a wonderful base I was so proud of only to have it destroyed by jerks aggroing Dino's into my base.  To me this is a Serious issue but after reading many posts the devs don't care and in fact seem to encourage this behavior.  Pve to me should be free from this pvp mentality.  Do these people get off of this stuff so they think it's funny?  I think people like this are sick.  I did nothing to deserve this just trying to be friendly and enjoy the game and find others to enjoy it with, if I wanted crap like this I would go to pvp.  Again this is an EASY fix but since it's so prevalaint it just tells me that the devs want it this way.  if you are going have two versions of the game then there should be a distinction between those two versions.  Or just rename it pvp and worse pvp.   The customer minded solution is simple. There should be consequences for actions like this, if people were banned for doing this or disciplined then I'm pretty sure most of it would stop and you would have a lot more happy paying customers.  But since there is no accountability or discipline people can run rampet and do what they like this chasing away many people.  I've seen it happen in many games over the years this same exact issue and eventually all you have left is thugs and bullies running the game and the majority the people have moved on.  The devs should wake up.  Thanks for listening to my rant.  I'm sure there are many wonderful people that play this game I just wished I would have met you instead!!

This game seems to bring out the core of human nature.  People are truly into themselves and don't care what happens to others as long as they do not get hurt.  I have seen people get insided by best friends, tribes destroy friendly people just because, so much hate and disrespect in general, but this is all part of the game.  This game makes people not only use in game dynamics but also politics.  When a game is so close to how you have to get along in real life to accomplish things people show their true colors especially when they are behind a controller and don't have to fear being labeled what they truly are.  In other words its easier to be an arse if you are on a mic in a room alone then in a public place.  But still if you look you can find some decent people out there its just harder then you think.  I also believe that PVE is the new troll center because trolls can do what ever they want with no fear of being killed or having their base destroyed.  Its funny when people have the feat that their base could be destroyed they are much friendlier.

14 minutes ago, jjfats said:

This game seems to bring out the core of human nature.  People are truly into themselves and don't care what happens to others as long as they do not get hurt.  I have seen people get insided by best friends, tribes destroy friendly people just because, so much hate and disrespect in general, but this is all part of the game.  This game makes people not only use in game dynamics but also politics.  When a game is so close to how you have to get along in real life to accomplish things people show their true colors especially when they are behind a controller and don't have to fear being labeled what they truly are.  In other words its easier to be an arse if you are on a mic in a room alone then in a public place.  But still if you look you can find some decent people out there its just harder then you think.  I also believe that PVE is the new troll center because trolls can do what ever they want with no fear of being killed or having their base destroyed.  Its funny when people have the feat that their base could be destroyed they are much friendlier.

Really wishing I could give you 10 rep for this comment. Mind=blown I thought I was the only person that realized your true colors come out. A lot of people say they are that way because it's just a game but come on that is the biggest cop out I have ever heard. If you act like that in game you would act like that in real life if you had the chance.

I started on a pve server. Put in 1000 hours never had issues like you are saying.. I asked for a spot. People took out pillars I expanded. Loved the game. Eventually got bored and stopped playing.now a year and half later I'm back. In a pvp server and having a great time... nice people both experiences.maybe I just got lucky twice?

3 hours ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

Maybe start off in SP, and you mentioned liking community try an unofficial RolePlay server, there are not many trolls and the ones who do join the admins generally kick them..... never start off on official, for a big ginger they are cancer..... seriously only when you have been on many servers (unofficial) and have weathered disappointment many times are you able to play official.

But that is not good thing at all. If your game can only be enjoyed by either playing solo or renting a server/joining player hosted server, its time you wake the f up pull your head out of your ass. If servers wich you provide are unplayable(and this is something what they can fix) and ppl have to go for unofficial(wich in return brings devs more money because rent) you have failed.

I will be as objective as I can and will only address some points I know of care about.

First of all, there are no set "easy" or "hard" spawns. There is a guideline that big carnivores mostly stay in the north, but spawning south does not ensure no carnivore will eat you.

The second part might sound rude, but that's what you get for playing a PC port on console. We were plagued with horrendous console ports with bad unoptimized controls for decades. If you want to enjoy the game in a way it's meant, play it on the hardware it was designed for. A PC. Or atleat mouse and keyboard.

Last but not least I see that the dino kiting is annoying, but I miss the part how the devs are "encouraging" people to kite dinos.

6 hours ago, Sofe said:

If servers wich you provide are unplayable(and this is something what they can fix) and ppl have to go for unofficial(wich in return brings devs more money because rent)

I keep seeing this on and off, but where exactly do people get this? Wildcard isn't a hosting company, they don't get a damn thing from unofficial servers. Officials cost them money. You pay one - low! -  onetime fee and they run servers off of that for almost two years now? I mean, I get frustrations, but they put those up as a courtesy, to give you a choice. Whether you choose official - ups and downs included - or unofficial - ups and downs included -  is up to you.

10 hours ago, saffy said:

i started off on official you just have to learn to play with the mindset that you're gonna get wiped and not get too invested 

This seems like an illogical mentality when it's pve.  My point is if they are going to have a pve option then don't make it pvp.  Or just call it all pvp.  Having to play realizing another person can wipe you out at any second sounds a lot like pvp to me lol.  There should at least be an option available to those of us who do not want to pvp.  

3 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

I will be as objective as I can and will only address some points I know of care about.

First of all, there are no set "easy" or "hard" spawns. There is a guideline that big carnivores mostly stay in the north, but spawning south does not ensure no carnivore will eat you.

The second part might sound rude, but that's what you get for playing a PC port on console. We were plagued with horrendous console ports with bad unoptimized controls for decades. If you want to enjoy the game in a way it's meant, play it on the hardware it was designed for. A PC. Or atleat mouse and keyboard.

Last but not least I see that the dino kiting is annoying, but I miss the part how the devs are "encouraging" people to kite dinos.

To be fair, the spawns are often listed as (easy) (medium) (hard) next to their name, at least thats the way it is on xbox, not sure about PC or PS4, so the name implies, it should be an easier place to start off. So Easy to me, means Dod, Lystro, Dilo, Compy, Spots of Raptors, and other semi easy things, not to mention level capped around 30-40.

As for the rest, the wheel annoys the heck out of me, mostly when i try and whistle one, and then whistle all because it jiggled. But its something that ive gotten used to and is only a mild annoyance now.

27 minutes ago, HeatherJo said:

This seems like an illogical mentality when it's pve.  My point is if they are going to have a pve option then don't make it pvp.  Or just call it all pvp.  Having to play realizing another person can wipe you out at any second sounds a lot like pvp to me lol.  There should at least be an option available to those of us who do not want to pvp.  

Build X/Y Plants, turrets and spike walls, Ark isn't The Sims Dino Edition, even on a PVE server. Keep in mind that dino's can walk freely, regardless of players

Thanks for sharing. I found the game very noob unfriendly. Even navigating the start menu and finding a server was confusing for me (granted a bunch of it doesn't work). The only reason I continued to play was because I liked how difficult it seemed to be, and the survival aspect really intrigued me. The PVE base needs to be guarded the same way a PVP base does unfortunately.

And I also had a run in with an alpha raptor on the 'easy' beach. There were also bats spawning all over outside of the caves (which at the time I thought was normal). Here's how I dealt with the raptor lol

3 hours ago, HeatherJo said:

Not in here.

16 hours ago, HeatherJo said:

Probably something interesting here, but I refuse to read a wall of text.

Please learn to use the Enter key :D

14 hours ago, saffy said:

i started off on official you just have to learn to play with the mindset that you're gonna get wiped and not get too invested 

Good advice. I think it's very hard for people to follow it, though.

Why? Because the game actually requires a lot of investment of one's time. Which is, after all, a unit of life itself.

Spending, literally, months of your life grinding, building, and creating is easily wiped away. It's hard for people to NOT get too invested.

Still, it's good advice. 

7 hours ago, Jostabeere said:

It's hardly logical or fair to blame a console gamer for buying and playing a console game.

The way the "game is meant to be played" on console is the way the manufacturer made it for console.

And I've played PC games for decades. I've played console games for decades.

Problems with playability are on the manufacturer. NOT the gamers. That goes for PC and consoles.

Archived