Conan Thrives on the FeedBack that Ark Devs Ignored :)

Moradin

On 2/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, PlatinumCore16 said:

I agree with you there.  Being able to balance life is not something for the faint of heart.  Definitely have been down that road and it's really not a nice place.  I play with a few others who are also in the same age bracket as me (under 30, though the one is turning 30 this year lol sucks to be him), and we all have full time jobs, one guy is married with kids, another guy is in school and just had a baby, and I have a relationship and dogs.  Video games are fun, but they are no substitute for real life and if they affect the rest of your life, you need to reevaluate your priorities.

I guess I'm a little confused what you meant about the game then.  That only men who are still stuck in a "high school" mindset would like such content?  I, personally, cannot comment on the game as I've never played it so maybe there in lies the disconnect.  But it seems that my point still applies in that the content of a kids game can be just as appealing to grown ups and vice versa, regardless of mental status.

This leads my brain to an aside, so you'll have to forgive me, but I think it is indeed related.  Everyone knows how racy and "M" rated Grand Theft Auto(GTA) is.  I read an article (a quick Google search denied me the satisfaction of re-finding it) about a father who liked playing GTA thought to give his 4 year old son the controller.  The 4 year old was driving around as the taxi and having a good time until he saw a firetruck; asked his dad if he could ride the fire truck and they were soon careening through the streets putting out fires and rescuing the inhabitants of whatever city GTA is.  At one point the boy hit a pedestrian and immediately dropped the controller and refused to continue until his dad explained, several times, that it was just a game and he could move past hitting the pedestrian.  The boy got back in the truck and soon forgot the incident.

I think this is pertinent because even in a violent and mature rated game, a young child will get out of it a completely different game.  He didn't once gun down a night club or run over every single person in sight until he had 5 police stars.  You may disagree that it is related, but I think it makes a good point that even the content of video games does not necessarily affect or reflect on those who play it.

Edit: If I've missed your point entirely, I apologize.  Please feel free to elaborate/clarify.

(Forgive my short reply to your thoughtful reply) 

I think you have a great point in that. When I used to play Fable I didn't walk around making a bunch of video game nookie for grins and giggles. 

However things like nudity in a a game are a great example of what I am thinking about. It's targeted to over 18 men, but is hardly a mature aspect. It appeals to the immature mind. I doubt that is the sole reason someone buys a game (though I'm sure there are exceptions...) but it's all part of marketing to their target audience - boy-men.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

(Forgive my short reply to your thoughtful reply) 

I think you have a great point in that. When I used to play Fable I didn't walk around making a bunch of video game nookie for grins and giggles. 

However things like nudity in a a game are a great example of what I am thinking about. It's targeted to over 18 men, but is hardly a mature aspect. It appeals to the immature mind. I doubt that is the sole reason someone buys a game (though I'm sure there are exceptions...) but it's all part of marketing to their target audience - boy-men.

Now that I can agree with.  Man I loved Fable.  Playing on the original Xbox.  Takes me back...

Archived