Officials: Maxed Tamed Dino Limits - No increase planned (big post)

Gafgarion

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait a second..Why should I have a dino die off due to old age or a plague that I put a ton of breeding work into or taming? To control dino taming counts? How about a better idea that lets people keep their awesome dinos but cuts down on the need for a dozen types of dinos for a kibble farm? That not only frees up the dino count but helps overall server lag.

Part of the biggest argument against official server wipes is people losing dinos and bases they quite literally have put HOURS of real time into. There is absolutely a better solution then randomly killing off dinos.

-Dinos laying at least a guaranteed egg per day

-Rework of kibble system

-Storing dinos off server

-Fertility stat for dinos which increases egg production

Lots of ideas to kick around rather then jumping the gun to massive plagues/kill offs.

8 minutes ago, Iamac0wm00 said:

I like the idea of a separate server for the dinos. Only real issue I see is what happens once they are there and the tame cap is meet again?

Well this is what I was trying to get at it in my long winded post lol You have 2 types of dinos: Daily worker ones (rexes/gigas, quetzs/doeds/ankys/etc) and essentially "cool to have" but never used ones: Wooly Rhinos, Procoptodons, Trikes, etc.

The idea behind storing dinos is you take all those ones you don’t use but don’t want to get rid of and store them there. There are going to be more NON used dinos then there are USED dinos. The devs could decide how much each person/tribe could store in these areas. Maybe 500 dinos per tribe/person? Whatever the case may be, the players can then decide what to keep "active" for dinos and what to store. If the cap gets met again, players store more dinos or opt to destroy some dinos at that point so they can store others. The idea behind Dino Storage is that you'll have far far more in storage then you will actively hanging out at your base.

1 hour ago, JetJaguar said:

Revamp the Kibble system – This gets suggested a lot. How do you rework it? Whats the solution to a reworked kibble system?

This I agree with, and I have said myself I wish we could see more dinosaurs that tame with other resources that are already more readily available. Like the Chalicotherium which uses beer as it's "kibble" or the Procoptodon that loves his rare mushrooms, or even the new sheep that just takes ONE vegetable cake regardless of level - THAT to me is so freaking nice! More of these types of tames I feel would be great, instead of 95% of them requiring eggs... and multiples at that. 

1 hour ago, JetJaguar said:

Dino Storage – One thing I had suggested is an expansion and expounding upon the idea of the obelisk used to transfer dinos. In this case though, a player would build an object that only they and/or their tribe could access in their base. The player would be able to store dinos in it much like you store MP3s on an ipod. The dinos could all be stored by WC on a SEPARATE SERVER and it would free up tame limits on the current server. The dinos could be removed at will by the player/tribe and stored at will by the player/tribe.

This one, I don't know about. It sounds good in theory, I guess, but it brings up some more questions. Let's say not everyone has a dino storage pod, so server is still near or at the dino cap. Does this mean I am now screwed for bringing out my dinos from the storage pod? They go in, which is good because I won't have to murder them and I can keep dinos which are sentimental to me, and they won't cause strain on the server by standing around doing their idle animations and such. A pro. But then their "uploading" frees up more available space on the server, which is then refilled by others taming, transferring or bringing their dinos out of their little pods... so now my dinos are stuck in there?  I'm not sure how this would help, really. 

The one thing I think Wildcard should seriously look into is the kibble tree. It's ridiculous, in my opinion. I mean, I love the idea as I remember taming brontos and mammoth long before kibble was in game... but as was said already in this thread, they FORCED us into having useless egg dinos standing around. I have zero interest in scorpions, but I have them because I love rexes and wanted to tame a couple frogs. Same goes with gallimimus, argentavis, dodos and several others; I have very little interest in them on their own, but their eggs tame dinos I *do* want. So I keep them around for that. If I could tame a beaver with wood or tame a frog with a shiny pearl or whatever they decide is a fitting alternative, I would have zero issues parting with 90% of the dinos I keep around for nothing but eggs.

5 minutes ago, Scotty8319 said:

This I agree with, and I have said myself I wish we could see more dinosaurs that tame with other resources that are already more readily available. Like the Chalicotherium which uses beer as it's "kibble" or the Procoptodon that loves his rare mushrooms, or even the new sheep that just takes ONE vegetable cake regardless of level - THAT to me is so freaking nice! More of these types of tames I feel would be great, instead of 95% of them requiring eggs... and multiples at that. 

This one, I don't know about. It sounds good in theory, I guess, but it brings up some more questions. Let's say not everyone has a dino storage pod, so server is still near or at the dino cap. Does this mean I am now screwed for bringing out my dinos from the storage pod? They go in, which is good because I won't have to murder them and I can keep dinos which are sentimental to me, and they won't cause strain on the server by standing around doing their idle animations and such. A pro. But then their "uploading" frees up more available space on the server, which is then refilled by others taming, transferring or bringing their dinos out of their little pods... so now my dinos are stuck in there?  I'm not sure how this would help, really. 

The one thing I think Wildcard should seriously look into is the kibble tree. It's ridiculous, in my opinion. I mean, I love the idea as I remember taming brontos and mammoth long before kibble was in game... but as was said already in this thread, they FORCED us into having useless egg dinos standing around. I have zero interest in scorpions, but I have them because I love rexes and wanted to tame a couple frogs. Same goes with gallimimus, argentavis, dodos and several others; I have very little interest in them on their own, but their eggs tame dinos I *do* want. So I keep them around for that. If I could tame a beaver with wood or tame a frog with a shiny pearl or whatever they decide is a fitting alternative, I would have zero issues parting with 90% of the dinos I keep around for nothing but eggs.

Let me try explaining a Dino Storage Device a different way. Or lets call it a Dino Cryo Chamber to sound high tech. Think of an external hard drive for your computer. You have your say 500 gig hard drive built in but its almost at max with stored items. So you get a 1 terra external drive and hook it up, transfer over a good majority of your music or games and now your 500 gig hard drive has about 400 gigs free and your external drive has tons free too.

The idea is similar. You have 900 dinos tamed. Server is almost at 4000 capacity. You store 700 of those tamed dinos into your Cryo chamber so you only have 200 actual dinos on the server. The 700 stored dinos NO LONGER count towards the 4000 cap; only your 200 do. Now imagine if everyone did this with their dinos? You'd have boatloads of open taming room.

A lot depends on the size of the Dino Cryo Chamber. Can you store unlimited dinos? 500? 1000?

Was it really necessary to merge these threads? One simply linked to the Steam forums the other was an actual discussion. The moderating on this forum is unlike any I have experienced.

Any type of complex subject always requires multiple posts to get its point across to readers. A big rule on blogging in general. I can understand if its 10 people asking: what kibble will so and so use that just came out?

1 minute ago, JetJaguar said:

Let me try explaining a Dino Storage Device a different way. Or lets call it a Dino Cryo Chamber to sound high tech. Think of an external hard drive for your computer. You have your say 500 gig hard drive built in but its almost at max with stored items. So you get a 1 terra external drive and hook it up, transfer over a good majority of your music or games and now your 500 gig hard drive has about 400 gigs free and your external drive has tons free too.

The idea is similar. You have 900 dinos tamed. Server is almost at 4000 capacity. You store 700 of those tamed dinos into your Cryo chamber so you only have 200 actual dinos on the server. The 700 stored dinos NO LONGER count towards the 4000 cap; only your 200 do. Now imagine if everyone did this with their dinos? You'd have boatloads of open taming room.

A lot depends on the size of the Dino Cryo Chamber. Can you store unlimited dinos? 500? 1000?

OK I get that, but I'm just not seeing how this would help for more than a short term. Say I upload my 700 dinos (wow) into the Cryo chamber - a mix of my sentimental favourites and egg layers I dont need now but might in the future.  People keep taming and breeding and transferring in, so in a few weeks or a month or whatever those 700 slots are now filled in.  Lets say I remembered I stored my beloved Snuggles the Allosaur in the cryo chamber and would really love to bring him out again for breeding or just to chill at my base so I can admire him, but oops.. no server space left.  Snuggles is forced to stay in Cryo until more people use their Cryo's or something dies, etc.  I would basically have to check several times a day to see if a slot was open for me to download Snuggles back onto the server. I don't see how this helps, as I said, for more than the short term.... maybe I am just missing something with your idea. Not trying to shoot it down because I'm in agreement, SOMETHING needs to be done, an external storage type option I just don't think is entirely viable.

Just now, Scotty8319 said:

OK I get that, but I'm just not seeing how this would help for more than a short term. Say I upload my 700 dinos (wow) into the Cryo chamber - a mix of my sentimental favourites and egg layers I dont need now but might in the future.  People keep taming and breeding and transferring in, so in a few weeks or a month or whatever those 700 slots are now filled in.  Lets say I remembered I stored my beloved Snuggles the Allosaur in the cryo chamber and would really love to bring him out again for breeding or just to chill at my base so I can admire him, but oops.. no server space left.  Snuggles is forced to stay in Cryo until more people use their Cryo's or something dies, etc.  I would basically have to check several times a day to see if a slot was open for me to download Snuggles back onto the server. I don't see how this helps, as I said, for more than the short term.... maybe I am just missing something with your idea. Not trying to shoot it down because I'm in agreement, SOMETHING needs to be done, an external storage type option I just don't think is entirely viable.

I see what you're saying. You need multiple approaches to the solution. So you have the storage in effect but whats to prevent the cap hitting again as well? Some ideas people bopped around include:

• Reworking the Server cap: 70 players. Servers struggle with 20. Lower it.

• Transfer limits: Cap the number of dinos you can bring to a new server. And/or put a cool down on this.

• Guaranteed egg per day or eggs per day from dinos.

• Fertility stat for dinos which increases egg production

• Kibble rework - (But how exactly? rework the kibble what way? Maybe cooked foods/tons of different recipes?)

Just some examples. It would definitely need to be in conjunction with something else. right now the ONLY option to free up tamed dinos on official PVE servers is to beg and plead with people to kill off current dinos..hell of a solution.

1 minute ago, EastofDeath said:

Do rafts count against your tribes tamed dino count still?

If so then why not put a de-spawn timer on rafts that are no longer used by people that no longer play.

The server I play on rafts are every where on the beach and littered all the way to the world bubble.

May help with lag too.

That would help with a lot of server clutter for sure.

35 minutes ago, JetJaguar said:

Wait a second..Why should I have a dino die off due to old age or a plague that I put a ton of breeding work into or taming? To control dino taming counts? How about a better idea that lets people keep their awesome dinos but cuts down on the need for a dozen types of dinos for a kibble farm? That not only frees up the dino count but helps overall server lag.

Part of the biggest argument against official server wipes is people losing dinos and bases they quite literally have put HOURS of real time into. There is absolutely a better solution then randomly killing off dinos.

-Dinos laying at least a guaranteed egg per day

-Rework of kibble system

-Storing dinos off server

-Fertility stat for dinos which increases egg production

Lots of ideas to kick around rather then jumping the gun to massive plagues/kill offs.

Well, the dying off part, to simply put it, to show an actual ecosystem in the game.   Us as a player know in some way we have been altered.  We always respawn.   But what about the animals?  We know when they die, they are gone.   So, why not have the animals actually die off.   I'm also not saying you tamed a high level one, it dies in a few days.   No, give it some realistic limit.   Maybe a month.   If you are into breeding and you selectively tamed that dinosaur, by the time it's cycle is complete, I'm sure you would have already bred it.  This gives you more of a purpose of breeding that next line of offspring, along with allowing us to give those creatures more meaning (you can't tell me that there was that 1 Dino you lost, that you will always remember because of something it did.)

The kibble system seems to me to be the biggest cause of excess dinos. What if instead of requiring certain dino egg kibble for certain dinos, kibble was more generic (for lack of a better word). You could still use all the different eggs to make kibble and let the different types of egg dictate the amount of kibble produced? Rarer eggs like Giga eggs produced more kibble, more common eggs like dodo produce the least. I don't know but more than 1/2 the dinos I have are only for laying eggs...  If I could I'd only have the dinos I want and use and use their eggs for making kibble.

9 minutes ago, Grimm said:

I'm also not saying you tamed a high level one, it dies in a few days.   No, give it some realistic limit.   Maybe a month.   If you are into breeding and you selectively tamed that dinosaur, by the time it's cycle is complete, I'm sure you would have already bred it.

But what about the people that are unable to breed?  They bust their butts to find and then KO and then tame a 150 rex/giga/whatever, have leveled him up and he has served them well for a month. That rex/giga/whatever is their pride and joy at this point - then poof, his time is up and the Reaper comes calling. They are now left without a rex/giga/whatever and are forced to go search for and tame another one... assuming, of course, there is room on their server to do so.

For breeders, yes, I would think a death system would be okay to implement in some way... most breeders are (or should be) retiring their older stock anyhow as they move further up the generation ladder.  But for people that have no time, knowledge or interest in breeding a death system might not be the most popular choice. 

Actually now that I think of it... I have a mammoth I tamed back in October of 2015. He is still my favourite mammoth and I use him on a daily basis for harvesting wood and berries, but he hasn't been bred from in more than a year. While I accept the fact that with life comes death, I sure as heck don't want it for Amistad. Losing him would make me cry just like the day my first Tamagotchi died. :(

Personally I don't believe that a guaranteed egg per day would change much. Just means you get a dozen eggs for certain in your crazy egg laying farm. People are lazy and I can't actually imagine that they could be bothered to go and wipe-out there farms if they didn't have to.

It would need a much more drastic rework to stop egg farms. Like only wild dino's laying eggs (fert not working for kibble), with dramatically increased drop-rates and/or a huge reduction in the amount of kibble required for tames. A system similar to beaver dams could be interesting even but with wild nests protected by said dino's. Some more use for an Oviraptor. Off the top of my head that's just one option that would completely kill off the need for an egg farm, whilst getting people active around the island rather then stood in there base 24/7. However there are also farms for many other resource producing creatures now. So i'm not certain whether killing off egg farms should even be a solution.

An easier solution would likely just be a personal or tribal cap on dino's. Don't ask me what that number is. Just in theory it would promote players only taming the dinosaurs they actually want/need, rather then seeing tribes with 50 rexes but only 5 players...

The problem is we have effectively been spoilt so no matter your solution there's going to be somebody somewhere that will cry about it. For example the suggestion of dino's aging/dieing off I absolutely oppose. Not everybody enjoys the breeding system... or hell even the taming system! (why am I playing this game again?) For a 1 or 2 player tribe breeding dino's is incredibly taxing. My play-style is very much a noah's ark type and i'm incredibly attached to my dino's. Whilst aging would promote the same effect (only taming what you need/can be bothered with) I would rather just be limited in the amount I can tame in the first place, then being forced to breed or re-tame.

Reducing amount of kibbles needed to tame a dinosaur keeping the same taming time for sake of current balance would solve problem with kibble farms and taming limit. 

Of course it wouldn't make people to get rid off kibble farms at once, but it would prevent or reduce significantly a chance of reaching taming cap at least.

I hope developers read this thread, because this aspect of game was overlooked and it WILL come back with more force when game reaches premiere date. New thousands of players wanting to tame on their own. Without solving this issue we talk about new players won't be pleased to say the least and they'll let you know about it in a steam review section.

OP is right

this game needs to take a few leaves off pokemon

have a dino bank. paid subscription server to store your dinos. a max limit of maybe 4000 yourself

have a temp storage structure. saves dino data to be redownloaded any time. pokemon has like 32boxes of 32 pokemon in each box, so maybe have that as metal tier.

about kibble farm...

well yea you can always make them lay eggs more often instead. that way we don't have to worry about people getting a ton more of the same dino just to make kibbles

also this is a little unorthordox...

LET PEOPLE CHEESE YOUR GAME. there are people who still plays because of the challenges, and once they complete a certain goal they'll be happy and "finish" the game.

most of it revolves around defeating the final boss (currently the dragon). the faster you allow players to kill dragon easily the faster they can pack their stuff and leave for single player/unofficial servers

also make a farming server. easy taming breeding and gathering. no boss fights no alphas. let these people have their own fun

4 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

I don't think we will ever get "Dinosaur Storage". It may be too expensive and risky to maintain by Wildcard. Imagine something wrong happened to that system causing lost of data. People would be really angry, more than during "Big Surprise", which was a DLC for unfinished game.

The company has the funds Im sure. Anything stored on any computer for any reason, could lose data. Their current game servers could crash and lose data. Setting up servers to just house dinos is nothing different. Hell, look, they just setup brand new servers to test out 120 player pvp/no tames. Why not setup servers to house dinos as storage and fix the lag/taming population issues?

1 minute ago, Currahee said:

I'm fairly new to the PVE server I play on. But anywhere I travel I see tribe after tribe with hundreds of dinosaurs just sitting there, and only like 15 people logged in.So much just sitting there wasted, It's really motivating me to rent my own server for my friends to play on.

Honestly, you won't regret it... Love the game, but having control of the server is a must for me.

4 hours ago, JetJaguar said:

So Jen had responded to a thread on the Steam forums from an Official server player whos server reached the max amount of tamed dinos. She said:

"We don't plan to raise the limit on our servers. Sounds like some people on your server need to scale down those kibble farms. :P"

Criticizing players for even having the farms or chastising players for playing on the official servers offers no help nor a solution.

Technically, there was zero criticism or chastising. And also technically it is a solution to the problem that would help. And it reads as though it's a light hearted joshing response.

It's just like your player inventory - you must manage it to keep it under a certain limit. No one complains and says "I just paid for this game, and I can't carry all this stuff and the new saddle I got from this drop?!? This is garbage!" It just doesn't happen. 

However, I do like and appreciate that you are not simply complaining, but thinking outside of the box for solutions. More people need to raise issues with this level of thought. 

Just now, Jtmorris said:

Technically, there was zero criticism or chastising. And also technically it is a solution to the problem that would help. And it reads as though it's a light hearted joshing response.

It's just like your player inventory - you must manage it to keep it under a certain limit. No one complains and says "I just paid for this game, and I can't carry all this stuff and the new saddle I got from this drop?!? This is garbage!" It just doesn't happen. 

However, I do like and appreciate that you are not simply complaining, but thinking outside of the box for solutions. More people need to raise issues with this level of thought. 

You quoted me out of context. My comment of "Criticizing players for even having the farms or chastising players for playing on the official servers offers no help nor a solution." is actually at the last paragraph/close of my post and has zero to do with Jen and everything to do with the poster base who likes to immediately either: a) attack anyone who has a massive dino farm as a collector or b) uses the old and quite often repeated response of moving to an unofficial server. So I was ending my big post by warning potential commenters not to even bother with either ;P

Archived