[EXPERIMENTAL SERVERS] PVP 120 Players, Increased Rates, Capped Tribes & No Tami

Jatheish

18 hours ago, Avios said:

Throwing out an idea or two, I'd like to suggest some ideas myself:

1.) Removal of the Club/adjustment to Torpor effects

No one likes being bit once by a snake and being KO'd without anything to protect you, or how a lvl 3 Bob has a club and one-hit-KO's you. It simply just doesn't feel good knowing that someone can sneak up and KO you without an actual fight. I would like to suggest a nerf to the Club on these servers, such as reduced Torpor buildup from the weapon, or just the removal of it completely. I would also like to suggest an overhaul on the Torpor effects on Players, as being Knocked Out when you are only 50 Torpor sucks, when you have a max torpor value of 200.

2.) Removal of the RPG

Now, I know you guys might be thinking about this and wondering why I am suggesting this, but with Auto Turrets not being available and Plant X turrets not having the ability to shoot down RPG's, It sucks having your base broken into without much counterplay. I believe Grenades and C4 are in a fine spot.

3.) Slightly Easier Boss Battles

It might not be an issue, but with the removal of Dinos, I would be led to believe that Boss Battles would be significantly harder without them. I would like to suggest nerfing the bosses slightly, to still make it challenging but not a walk in the park.

4.) Some way to deal with Foundation/Pillar spam

This is a problem that has been around since the dawn of ARK, but is far more rampant (it feels like) on No Taming servers. With my arrival on a No Taming server, I couldn't find a spot to base for what felt like miles. I don't have a Fool-proof suggestion for this, but these servers might require some moderation from an Administrator, some changes to pillars/foundations, or no-build areas so everyone can access metal and such.

This is all I have for now, I'd like to thank you all for making a game that I have enjoyed for so many hours!

Definitely with you for items 1 & 2 after watching the game play thus far by some players on streams/youtube/twitch/etc.

Haven't seen anyone progress far enough yet to notice 3 being a problem, but yeah that sounds legit.

4 I haven't seen yet, but yeah, that seems like that'll be a thing as well.

I haven't had the time to play yet as I was waiting to start playing with my daughter.  Hopefully this weekend when she's free and my eye isn't bugging me as much.  Turns out eye's are pretty handy to have working right.  LOL

Also wondering if turning off the explorer notes might be something to think about in this mode.  They turn into areas where post spam structures, though I suppose that makes them good for keeping folks wanting to PVP around them since folks are drawn to them to level up.  I do see these being blocked by alphas very soon at least in the easier areas.  

Though the problem with some of these items is that they've already been used or in the case of the items already crafted thus changing the "fairness" of changing those.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Avios said:

No one likes being bit once by a snake and being KO'd without anything to protect you, or how a lvl 3 Bob has a club and one-hit-KO's you. It simply just doesn't feel good knowing that someone can sneak up and KO you without an actual fight. I would like to suggest a nerf to the Club on these servers, such as reduced Torpor buildup from the weapon, or just the removal of it completely. I would also like to suggest an overhaul on the Torpor effects on Players, as being Knocked Out when you are only 50 Torpor sucks, when you have a max torpor value of 200.

2.) Removal of the RPG

Now, I know you guys might be thinking about this and wondering why I am suggesting this, but with Auto Turrets not being available and Plant X turrets not having the ability to shoot down RPG's, It sucks having your base broken into without much counterplay. I believe Grenades and C4 are in a fine spot.

It might not be an issue, but with the removal of Dinos, I would be led to believe that Boss Battles would be significantly harder without them. I would like to suggest nerfing the bosses slightly, to still make it challenging but not a walk in the park.

This is a problem that has been around since the dawn of ARK, but is far more rampant (it feels like) on No Taming servers. With my arrival on a No Taming server, I couldn't find a spot to base for what felt like miles. I don't have a Fool-proof suggestion for this, but these servers might require some moderation from an Administrator, some changes to pillars/foundations, or no-build areas so everyone can access metal and such.

This is all I have for now, I'd like to thank you all for making a game that I have enjoyed for so many hours!

I agree with you 100% :Jerblove:

On 17/02/2017 at 6:45 PM, Avios said:

2.) Removal of the RPG

2 and 3 must be tied together.

If RPG is removed, bosses will absolutely need to be nerfed. Haven't tried, but I'd wager a full tribe with high quality rocket launchers could take on the Broodmother

On 2/17/2017 at 9:45 PM, Avios said:

2.) Removal of the RPG

I thought I'd post here and give my perspective on a few of these issues, I've been playing on the servers myself and feel I have a little insight into these as well.

1. Removal of the club/adjustments to Torpor effects

I feel most people don't realize that there are multiple perspectives to consider when dealing with the club and how it can knock people out so easily. The club was a good weapon that was introduced that allowed low level people or even newer people to have a chance to PVP someone who is either a higher level than they are or someone who is more significantly geared.

The outcome of the introduction of the club has allowed lower level people to have an advantage over people who are more geared, this in itself benefits the low level people. Which I feel is perfectly reasonable. Movement speed is nerfed on this server, and though I am sure some of you feel like its unfair to get caught by surprised and knocked out to have all your stuff stolen but this is a survival game.

A higher level player should not be able to go around the map, especially when no dinosaurs are involved and just kill people endlessly without allowing someone (Who is usually almost always new, low level or a fresh spawn) to have a chance to kill them. A club allows a new player to have a chance, which is something they should be given. Obviously this means that higher level people can do the same to higher level people. This I see no problem with either, you put yourself in the position to get clubbed most of the time, that's the consequence of engaging in player vs player. There should be absolutely no reason for any player to absolutely steamroll anyone because they're more geared or because they feel like a mechanic is too harsh. 

That being said, I wouldn't oppose a nerf to the club by either having fortitude stat increased in someway that would make it more effective at lowering the amount of torpor you've received and the amount of time you're unconscious from the club in general.

2. Removal of the RPG

I agree that other explosives are in a fine spot, but a complete removal of the RPG might be a little unnecessary. Approaching the problem of the rocket launcher could possibly be addressed in two ways.

2.1 Nerfing the damage

This in itself would make it a lot harder for solo, smaller tribes or tribes located in bad locations on the map to farm enough rockets to do any damage to any player. An alpha tribe or a tribe with a significant amount of people will simply just farm even more than they normally would. A nerf to rocket damage would effect the people with less time to play, smaller tribes than it would ever effect an alpha tribe.

2.2 Nerf the distance of the rockets once fired

What this means is the drop off would start sooner, making sure that rockets would need to be fired closer to structures and people. Meaning they're more likely to get hit by plant turrets. Though this would also introduce the likelihood of players just building higher or more layered basses.

When it comes to nerfing/removing the rockets it is something that might be a little more complicated than expected as I understand a lot of people are frustrated from having their bases blown into, but this will happen regardless of any damage nerf or removing them completely. If rockets were removed completely here is what people would start doing.

Higher walls, more layered gates at altitudes that prevent people from parachuting in. (Adding plant turrets to make sure you can't even breach the base)
Bases would become bigger, causing more issues with the amount of structures you see present on the map.
People would (Have already been) spamming foundations on locations and other things just to mess with people.

3. Slightly Easier Boss Battles

I feel like this should be approached carefully as allowing easy boss battles will allow players to obtain end game control a lot sooner than they should. Getting tech tier first on these types of servers should feel like an achievement. Allowing tribes to build up the blueprints and gear to give it a go should be the whole point of the battle, it being something you work harder for. Though I think balancing should be done to ensure that these arenas are possible (within reason) for a full tribe to accomplish.

4. Some way to deal with foundation spam

Agree that these need to be addressed, as tribes like myself have had to secure metal spots and pillar them within reason to ensure no metal is obstructed and that people can farm that metal. This also includes raided bases that at least on my server has been spread across all the easy locations in the game, which will eventually put people off from playing because of how slow the demolish timers take, even on just pillars once someone decides to quit. If they even decide to or not.

Now if a rocket nerf or explosive nerf came to this server removing these would be even harder. -_-

Just some general insight on what I've been hearing in the server itself and from what I have been reading on the forums. If any of you disagree or agree let me know constructively and I'll be sure to read what your perspective on these issues are as well.

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but after every server update (possibly every server reboot), the wyverns seem to forget that they belong in the scar and start flying all over the place. Also the wyverns seem to have had their aggro range increased some in a previous update.

Combine this with the fact that in this mode you progress slower and a wild wyvern running around attacking everything it sees becomes a really big hindrance to getting anything done :)

I thought, maybe it won't see me. That didn't work out and shortly after I'm toast (fire wyvern) and dead.

Now I'm thinking some kind of defensive structure and a rocket launcher with some homing missiles are needed (not quite ready to make those yet though).

Pegomastax is a bit overpowered in this mode. The Pegomastax lvl 1 has 200 health and gains 40 per level, so level 60 would have 2560. Compared to something you would expect to be like 10x more powerful, the Thorny Dragon has 260 at lvl 1 and gains 52 per level, so a level 60 has 3328. 77% the health of a Thorny Dragon.

For such a small creature, and considering that you must kill this thing to get your stuff back, this is a lot to kill it. They are a very small target, really hard to hit with a fire arrow. I typically use more arrows on this guy than to kill a thorny dragon. The pego also tends to run off and you never get your stuff back.

I store my food typically in the 0 slot, which it usually steals. Now if I'm far from my base, I'm without food unless I gather more. This small little guy could end up causing you to die. When you have a tame, you can usually avoid these guys or have backup stuff in your tame to replace what it steals. Not so when you have no tames.

Ya, this mode should be harder, but this guy is a bit over the top.

I think bases have a very strange balance. Bases with vaults are significantly stronger than bases without. Basically building on these servers boils down to making lots and lots of layers. Plant X are almost worthless, they just keep away low level trolls but if anyone really wants to raid your base if you haven't grinded vaults yet or honey-combed heavily its gonna be an easy task to raid you. Not sure how these servers will settle, it will be difficult to balance the end game bases while still making the build up to endgame not completely vulnerable. Never realized until these servers how much turrets do help to make people at least think twice about wasting resources. 

Also kind of feel like, if nobody has spammed the volcano, once a tribe builds there and sufficiently spams metal structures on the path leading up to the volcano its GG. Would be very hard to raid a volcano base that is properly planned out. Would probably require building your own scaffolding to get over the side of it! Can't wait for a video of someone trying to raid no tame volcano bases. 

This game mode brought me back to ark for the last few days on Xbox (playing on the no tame centers map) and so far it has been an exhausting brutal challenge. The pvp is constant and getting killed by dinos is again something that happens. With no flyers and dinos rafts and raft bases are everywhere. I smiled seeing a metal raft with cannnins chasing another raft, and tons of 'you sunk my battleship' notes in the chat log. As a new player it is extremely hard to get the most basic base up- you really need a team to get going. So far it doesn't seem like any one tribe is controlling the server but that remains to be seen. I only used to tame pterodons anyway and then built a base with turrets high up, so this is more suited to my gameplay, and removes the non competitive problem of large tribes with a huge investment in high level takes dinos. Great idea, but we probable need more resource areas, or even changing resource areas so areas of the map can't get locked down. Structure timers should be reduced too, especially on the start If islands. Msg me if you want to join tribe too.

This game mode has some of the same types of things happening that are in the normal mode, especially on the weekends.

I managed to survive a few weeks without getting completely wiped, but this weekend 3 of my small bases were completely cleaned out. This is always by tribes from one of the other four servers, never from a tribe on the scorched earth server. It is very difficult to build up decent defenses, especially on SE for the offline raiding that comes from one of the other four servers.

The use of explosives and rockets is so out of control, I even left a sign that one of my bases was open for use and left the door unlocked, but not open and it was rocketed or C4'd open. I think there are just those players that have explosives and are looking for something to use them on. There really is almost zero chance that it will come back to them when they are on a whole different server and you are on foot. What really is your chance of finding who did it? There was nothing in the log saying who did it, because of course there are no tames to be killed. Someone in global told me who did it and what server, but I'm back to the stone age.

I'm thinking I've had my fun with this experiment, and will move on to other ARK servers (I'm on a few others). Unless the game is changed significantly to support this mode, I would call this a failed experiment. You can wipe the experimental servers any time as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, I normally play PVE, but have played a little PVP in the past. I'd still be open to try this if they bring out some PVE servers.

On 2/27/2017 at 0:26 PM, wildbill said:

This game mode has some of the same types of things happening that are in the normal mode, especially on the weekends.

I managed to survive a few weeks without getting completely wiped, but this weekend 3 of my small bases were completely cleaned out. This is always by tribes from one of the other four servers, never from a tribe on the scorched earth server. It is very difficult to build up decent defenses, especially on SE for the offline raiding that comes from one of the other four servers.

The use of explosives and rockets is so out of control, I even left a sign that one of my bases was open for use and left the door unlocked, but not open and it was rocketed or C4'd open. I think there are just those players that have explosives and are looking for something to use them on. There really is almost zero chance that it will come back to them when they are on a whole different server and you are on foot. What really is your chance of finding who did it? There was nothing in the log saying who did it, because of course there are no tames to be killed. Someone in global told me who did it and what server, but I'm back to the stone age.

I'm thinking I've had my fun with this experiment, and will move on to other ARK servers (I'm on a few others). Unless the game is changed significantly to support this mode, I would call this a failed experiment. You can wipe the experimental servers any time as far as I'm concerned.

To be fair, I normally play PVE, but have played a little PVP in the past. I'd still be open to try this if they bring out some PVE servers.

I get your anger with this, there really needs to be some decent balancing done to this mode. But, it is an experiment and over time i can see some items getting nerfed/buffed.

Granted this is your opinion, but to call this experiment a "failure" is pretty sad. 1000s of players play this mode and enjoy it. Ark is trying to make a game more enjoyable for other players by introducing different modes that have no effect on the original game. This cost them nothing and brought former players like me and my group back to the game.

If you dont enjoy it, don't play it.

56 minutes ago, Colbeh said:

I get your anger with this, there really needs to be some decent balancing done to this mode. But, it is an experiment and over time i can see some items getting nerfed/buffed.

Granted this is your opinion, but to call this experiment a "failure" is pretty sad. 1000s of players play this mode and enjoy it. Ark is trying to make a game more enjoyable for other players by introducing different modes that have no effect on the original game. This cost them nothing and brought former players like me and my group back to the game.

If you dont enjoy it, don't play it.

Right, thanks for the comment. I won't be playing it. I was a bit harsh I suppose, because for me it didn't work out. 

I do think that of those that try it, maybe 10% - 20% stick with it/like it. I was in a tribe of about 7, and they all quit.

I agree there are 1000 of people playing it, which could be part of the problem when coupled with transfers. Say just 1 in 200 players is a real sausage, then you have at least 5 players trolling 5 to 10 people each day, making it hell to play for 100 or more players. The big tribes can police this sort of thing, but the small players don't have a chance against these trolls.

They also limited tribes to 10 players, but still there is an alpha tribe with maybe 100 players. They have worked around the limit and the no alliance by naming all the tribes similar names and using a banner to identify themselves. The game seems to be designed to create an alpha tribe no matter how they try to discourage it.

Hence, "as it now stands" it is a failure. Yes they can possibly fix it, not sure when that might happen though. Lots of other stuff is being worked on at the moment.

9 hours ago, wildbill said:

Right, thanks for the comment. I won't be playing it. I was a bit harsh I suppose, because for me it didn't work out. 

I do think that of those that try it, maybe 10% - 20% stick with it/like it. I was in a tribe of about 7, and they all quit.

I agree there are 1000 of people playing it, which could be part of the problem when coupled with transfers. Say just 1 in 200 players is a real sausage, then you have at least 5 players trolling 5 to 10 people each day, making it hell to play for 100 or more players. The big tribes can police this sort of thing, but the small players don't have a chance against these trolls.

They also limited tribes to 10 players, but still there is an alpha tribe with maybe 100 players. They have worked around the limit and the no alliance by naming all the tribes similar names and using a banner to identify themselves. The game seems to be designed to create an alpha tribe no matter how they try to discourage it.

Hence, "as it now stands" it is a failure. Yes they can possibly fix it, not sure when that might happen though. Lots of other stuff is being worked on at the moment.

Your points are very true. There are alot of chaos and trolling on these servers and its very hard to survive.

Hopefully, they can rebalance everything over the next few months of testing. For example, nerfing the club should be the first. Extremely overpowered. Fixing swamp fever, making explosives more expensive, and fixing raft exploits.

Those along with a few other tweaks should hopefully help a bit. More importantly, a legit Alpha needs to be established and run thr server. This should help deter the mass raiding going on and adding consequences for their actions.

For sure a work in progress game mode. But I think this is an exciting addition that could be vastly improved and become official in the future.

i was just playing on the xbox experimental server. the idea is great, no taming. but i have to say that would agree that all eggs found in the wild are fertilized and can be raised. also the increase in points per stat level could be more, way more. without tames your character should be MORE able to compensate.

and to be completely honest, all the officials suuuuuuck in rates and stat points per level.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:52 AM, wildbill said:

LOL. So one raid and you give up and head back to PVE? Most players if they see a closed door are going to assume its locked because that is the case in 99.9% of cases. If you wanted your base to be not blown up you should of left the door open. In any case I'd still probably smash everything inside just to make sure your not going to fight back anytime soon. Such is the nature of PVP.

6 hours ago, BulletForce said:

LOL. So one raid and you give up and head back to PVE? Most players if they see a closed door are going to assume its locked because that is the case in 99.9% of cases. If you wanted your base to be not blown up you should of left the door open. In any case I'd still probably smash everything inside just to make sure your not going to fight back anytime soon. Such is the nature of PVP.

You assume a lot. It wasn't one raid, it was being raided every few days. Ya, it is this idea that you must destroy everything that another player has that is the real reason I won't be playing PVP. I don't play that way so it just doesn't feel fair to me that I am playing with others that do. I'm not giving up, I'm not having fun, and it is a game to have fun, right? I'm going back to PVE that I enjoy playing.

So, any chance of having a no-tame PvE server? I really enjoyed the server experience in the first while before it was broadcast on the games main menu. Would have 20-40 people on. Then it shot up to 120 after the rollback due to the message on menu and people wanted to just restart I guess.

Would really like a no tame PvE though, as having just jumped back on official pve servers I was instantly reminded why I left. The sheer amount of lag as a result of tamed dinos on the server. Please give us a PvE no tame. "Why would anyone want to play that?" some might ask, just like all those other survival games out there that don't have lots of dinos? Maybe a horse or farmyard stuff only? Plenty of players are happy playing without dinos, just gathering by hand and building things and surviving.

12 minutes ago, Ysra said:

So, any chance of having a no-tame PvE server? I really enjoyed the server experience in the first while before it was broadcast on the games main menu. Would have 20-40 people on. Then it shot up to 120 after the rollback due to the message on menu and people wanted to just restart I guess.

Would really like a no tame PvE though, as having just jumped back on official pve servers I was instantly reminded why I left. The sheer amount of lag as a result of tamed dinos on the server. Please give us a PvE no tame. "Why would anyone want to play that?" some might ask, just like all those other survival games out there that don't have lots of dinos? Maybe a horse or farmyard stuff only? Plenty of players are happy playing without dinos, just gathering by hand and building things and surviving.

I would probably play PVE, but there would need to be a few more changes before PVE could work.

With flyers in the game, you can easily fly over any obstruction that a player puts in your path. For instance someone can put a gate and spiked walls around an important resources. In regular PVE, you just fly over the gate and get the resource. In this mode, you would be blocked from it unless you go to great lengths like parachuting over and back (if even possible at that location).

Someone could also lay foundations and block a resource. That happens in regular PVE, but then you just fly a little farther away to another location where you can get that resource. Without a flyer, that becomes much more difficult to get to the resources. Local resources become much more important.

So resources would need protection around them from building any foundations or gates before a no-tame PVE server could really work. So many more no-build zones would be needed.

Another type of server cluster that could be interesting is a mix of PVE and PVP servers linked together. That way you could pick when you want to engage in PVP. The PVE server would be where most players have their base. You would travel to the PVP server to engage mostly in actual Player vs Player, not Player vs Base like it is now. If a player did want to establish a base on the PvP server, they could, but it is likely that only the alpha tribe would attempt that.

This 3rd type, PVE/PVP cluster, I think I would play that also if it existed.

Ok, I'm not really sure if anyone else has suggested this. First, yes, I know it's called a "No Tame" server. But we have rafts for water travel, movement speed is mega nerfed....

I would really like to see implementation of the upcoming Equus into the "no[horse]tame" servers. It would be a wonderful way to explore, gather mats, and build farther inland.

And please please, remove rockets. If there are no ATs, we have no need for rockets. If you really need to raid someone, Nades are easily crafted with a quick trip to the icy shores of the north.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:20 PM, DeweyDecimal said:

2 and 3 must be tied together.

If RPG is removed, bosses will absolutely need to be nerfed. Haven't tried, but I'd wager a full tribe with high quality rocket launchers could take on the Broodmother

Good thought, however, there are no longer varying quality of RLs. This is something that has already came on PC and should be on its way to conole.

@Jat

New servers are a blast. Rather refreshing although I miss flying. Raft decay rate needs to be worked with a bit as the beaches have turned into a shipyard cemetery of sorts. I also believe that dinos you can hold should be tameable.. ex. Vulture, dodo, dimorphodon, jerboa.. I think players would appreciate this as it would really spice things up in the pvp department.

It's hard for me to play on the servers my tribe currently runs. So much fun on the new cluster!

Thanks, BK

On 2/1/2017 at 8:50 PM, Jat said:

Hey guys!

We've just launched some new experimental Official Servers on PC! These are a bit different to our standard servers as they do not allow players to tame, ride, or breed creatures. ARK has a lot of core survival elements to it, and we wanted to see how players would find playing the game without the help of their trusty tames. Of course, this doesn't mean we're moving to a non-dino focused environment, it's just another customisation we've introduced for everyone ;) So give it a go, let us know what you think! Features:

- 120 Players

- No Taming

- Boosted Harvesting and EXP Rates! (2x rates of normal -- so with the current event, it's pretty much 6x OLD-ARK!)

- Titanosaur has been removed

- Auto Turrets have been removed

- Difficulty Level is currently set to 2.0

- Tribes are limited to 10 players

- Isolated Cluster

- 50% Higher Base Weight and 50% increase per level too

- No alliances

So we're interested in the dynamic that this experiment brings, please keep in mind that it is EXPERIMENTAL so there's a chance that the servers do not stay online / saved data could be wipe -- though our intention is to keep it online! 

To find the server, just search for this in your server filter:

[120 Players] NoTamingExperiment

Hey Jat, just wanted to come by and give credit where credit is due. You guys literally hit the jackpot making this server. Not just that but I am not even going to give any suggestions on how it can be better because it can't. Good job guys! Good raptoring job!!!

p.s DO NOT get rid of this server! If any make more. You are on the right track

• Jen unpinned this topic

Archived