Pteranodon speed for wyvern eggs

Trojianmaru

A friend of mine gave me a pteranodon n I've been leveling pure speed so if a wyvern attacks my base, I can lure it away n save my dinos, but nobody can say what's a good speed to stop at. It's currently at 189% speed but others say I should rank it to 200%. 

I know more speed means I can get away faster, but what I want one for (other than eggs) is to hit a wyvern that wants to kill my land tames and then keep luring it away, the escape it's aggro range. I Feel like I need to add more health and stamina (and maybe  a lil weight so I can use it more often than just when wyvern are involved) so I want to know when is a safe spot to leave movement speed alone

Anyone who uses a pteranodon able to shed some light n give me advice? I can't exactly nip to the island or center to replace it (I'm solo) so Id rather not lose it

Lvl 102

Hp 756.1

Stamina 690

Oxygen 300

Food 3445.4

Weight 183

Melee damage 192.7%

Movement speed 189%

I'd go to the island if that's your only ptera while you still have a fast flyer. A high level will toast that pretty quick. It's hard to kite a lightning wyvern without getting hit, agro range is about the same as their attack range. Punch some dodos and go for a 140 or higher ptera. 180 movement speed is enough for mine to get away, barely outrun an alpha wyvern. I had a lot more health and stamina though (barrel roll). You can level health and stamina, but its pretty weak starting out if you are planning on kiting wyverns with it. Barrel roll isn't affected by sandstorms, so you can barrel roll away if that hits. I outran an alpha wyvern in the scar during a sandstorm with a barrel rolling 190 move speed ptera.

From my experience  I have had success with the following builds.

Speed 180-190% Standard Wyvern

Speed 200-220% Alpha Wyvern

Health and Stamina are up to you in regards to how good you are at flying.

Health 1500-2000 should do

Stamina 1700-2000 is sufficient 

Once you steal a egg head for the mountains and dive down the other side helps break em off. Those stats are also good enough to lure Wyverns back to your trap for milk when you hatch your eggs. Wyverns have a terrible turn radius as well as they get stuck on everything so use the terrain to your advantage. 

P.S. IF YOU DONT WANT THE EGG DUE TO LEVEL EAT IT!!!!! If you drop it they dont despawn and you have to wait a lot longer for more eggs. 

I've done countless egg runs and milk runs and in my experience 200% is just a tad too fast. With 200% your Pterra gets too far ahead of the wyvern when milk running and usually loses aggro, forcing you to chase after it and 75% of the time this results in your pterra dying. I prefer 190% with more health and stamina. The spin attack and agility of the pterra will save you and if you have the stam to keep going you won't lose your dino.

I've lost countless Pterra's figuring out my preferred build of Pterra

On 2.2.2017 at 7:34 PM, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

P.S. IF YOU DONT WANT THE EGG DUE TO LEVEL EAT IT!!!!! If you drop it they dont despawn and you have to wait a lot longer for more eggs. 

Would be amazing if everyone realizes that.... on my server 3 nests are bugged and block respawn. The issue which is causing that is wyvern eggs "can't" die! They never ever lose a single Healthpoint. The looted nest only despawns if you eat the egg or bring it far away like to your base etc if you just drop it near the pit they last untill they spoil which is i think 2-3 days. So you block a respawn for a few days.

Back to the speed. I used to farm my first eggs with 200% speed and 2.5k stamina ptera a few days ago and changed to a different ptera with more speed. 200% speed works pretty good but my new ptera with 250% speed can just fly from nest to nest and pickup every egg without a break cause the wild wyverns cant keep up with that high speed. Stamina is a really big thing in my oppinion. You should go minimum 2.5k better 3k stamina so you can nonstop spin to win and you are even faster and not a single wyvern can hit you. Health doesnt matter at all if you have enough speed just have more then 1.5k to not be oneshot in case u get hit by a fire breath or lightning. Poison doesnt really hurt your dino its more direct dmg to you and prolly oneshots your survivor. But i wouldnt go higher then 250% speed because it will get a bit hard to control with more speed in the pit. Better go more stamina or more weight since eggs are heavy and u can pick up 4-5 eggs without a break on that speed.

I could sell you a 4th/ 5th Gen Ptera egg that currently starts at:

150% movement

380-450% melee

2k+ Health

2k+ Stamina

we are breaking new Gens, like every weekend. 

For dragons you would want 2500+ health and at least 200 movement to be safe. That's why most people use argy's cause the start out with high HP

Lol I had a Ptera that had 153 movement and it outran wyverns. It died due to a DC while I was kiting though. It doesn't need much. I would focus more on HP and stamp because if you get hit by a lightning wyvern it can easily do 1k damage before you get far enough away so it doesn't attack you. My set up on pteras was for kiting was always 

2500 HP

2800 Stam

280 weight (in case I found a couple of good eggs)

150-160 movement speed

350-400 melee

I never lost one due to my own actions, only through DCs and horrendous lag spikes.

Add: I would like to add that Barrell rolling when they got too close (because I stopped to let wyverns catch up) was a sure way to get out of attack range. That's why Stam was so high. I could just Barrell roll across the map after I stole an egg too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2017 at 7:10 PM, Trojianmaru said:

A friend of mine gave me a pteranodon n I've been leveling pure speed so if a wyvern attacks my base, I can lure it away n save my dinos, but nobody can say what's a good speed to stop at. It's currently at 189% speed but others say I should rank it to 200%. 

I know more speed means I can get away faster, but what I want one for (other than eggs) is to hit a wyvern that wants to kill my land tames and then keep luring it away, the escape it's aggro range. I Feel like I need to add more health and stamina (and maybe  a lil weight so I can use it more often than just when wyvern are involved) so I want to know when is a safe spot to leave movement speed alone

Anyone who uses a pteranodon able to shed some light n give me advice? I can't exactly nip to the island or center to replace it (I'm solo) so Id rather not lose it

Lvl 102

Hp 756.1

Stamina 690

Oxygen 300

Food 3445.4

Weight 183

Melee damage 192.7%

Movement speed 189%

That should be plenty fast , its all about maneuverability. 

3 hours ago, EngagedLoki766 said:

How far do you have to go before they stop chasing you?

They can chase you anywhere from 10 secs - 2 - 3 mins depending on your pterras movement speed. We have a few 200% pterras and two 220% pterras and find that the 220% will hold agro for only a couple of seconds due to how quick they can get out of render range. Highly recommend using the terrain and mobility to your advantage. 180% argy can get away if you're a good flyer, though would go for min of 200% (180%pterra easily can escape). 

Additionally, if you don't see a wyvern coming and it hits you, try to quickly identify which way the attack came from and quickly dash that way. Due to the wyverns terrible mobility you will more times than not get away with your life as they'll need to perform a full 180 rotation which as all wyvern owners know, takes a heck of a long time lol.

Archived