Confused about taming requirements.

skeeta

So I found what I thought was a stuck Bronto last night (it wasn't but that doesn't matter) and thought I'd give taming it a shot. It was only lvl 10 so nice and easy for my first one. Or so I thought. 

I looked on SA Companion and it said, for a level 10 Bronto I'd need 0-48 narcotics to knock it out then many mejo and narco berries for the tame. 

So I gathered 60 trank arrows (to be sure) and thousands of the right berries then set to work. 

The short version is, I put all 60 arrows into him and he just kept on going. OK, because he was a Bronto there weren't many head shots in there but it still took way more arrows than I thought it would even leaving it 4 to 5 secs between shots. 

Did I understand SA Companion wrong or something? 

Similar thing happened yesterday too. Went for a lvl 55 trike and his lvl 52 mate attacked me as well. I had 50 tranks and every one was a head shot. They were split between both trikes (because I lost track of which was which) but that still means that one of them took between 25 and 50 arrows in the face but kept going. 

I didn't have this issue with my first tames and it's confusing me a bit. 

Are you playing on an official or unofficial server, and/or are you playing with mods? Or are you playing solo with settings changed?

I use Dododex (Which is usually pretty accurate) and I just looked up a level 10 Bronto. It should only take 19 tranqs from a crossbow, or 33 from a bow, and Brontos don't register headshots, so anywhere on it counts. Mejoberries, 167, Narcotics/narcoberries, none. This assumes a 1.5x taming speed (Which is the case on official servers right now). The number of arrows, nor the narcotics/berries will change, but the Mejoberries will, to 250, at 1x.

Yeah, official pve server. It must have been a glitch then because I hit him with 60 out of 60 arrows from the bow and they all hit (heard that thuck sound and saw the little splash of blood). Don't really know what else to say. It's getting like I'm scared to try anything what with Bolas refusing to work and now this. 

Didn't now about the trike head shot thing though so that's good info. 

Huh... I didn't know that about Trikes, either... that explains why it took more "headshots" than Dex said it would when we got ours. There are pieces of information in Dododex that are completely inaccurate, like intricacies with certain dinos... perfect example is the dolphin. It tells how many tranqs to use... but the dolphin is a passive tame, so doesn't do knockout at all.

Bolas only work on some dinos. What did yours not work on?

9 minutes ago, ShadowLexi said:

Huh... I didn't know that about Trikes, either... that explains why it took more "headshots" than Dex said it would when we got ours. There are pieces of information in Dododex that are completely inaccurate, like intricacies with certain dinos... perfect example is the dolphin. It tells how many tranqs to use... but the dolphin is a passive tame, so doesn't do knockout at all.

At the bottom of the page on dododex it shows whether a bola can work or not on the dino you're looking at. 

2 minutes ago, tayden said:

It might take more than what calculator sais.

Obviously if youre hitting head shots on a dino where head shots dont receive torpor, then yeah.

And dododex also doesnt account for players missing :)

The narcos listed on dododex are the minimum based on perfect taming scenario.

Just now, FeelingLotus said:

At the bottom of the page on dododex it shows whether a bola can work or not on the dino you're looking at. 

I realize that. The question was what dino the bola wasn't working on... since apparently the person's having trouble with bolas not working. Trying to figure out if it's a 'dino isn't impacted' issue, or if it's a bug issue.

Just now, FeelingLotus said:

And dododex also doesnt account for players missing :)

The narcos listed on dododex are the minimum based on perfect taming scenario.

Of course not, but... we can kind of assume that people would realize they have to hit in order for it to be added to the number of tranqs used...

And yeah. You 'can' use narcotics/narcoberries, but sometimes it's unnecessary. I usually try to keep torpor no lower than 25% on whatever I'm taming, just to be safe.

1 hour ago, ShadowLexi said:

It's a console issue I think dude. It's been reported in the PS4 and xbox sections of the forum. I've tried it on a Dilo (as a test), a Raptor and, most importantly, a Ptera. Thrown at the feet, head and body of it but they just bounce every time. 12 throws, 11 bounces and a miss. 

13 hours ago, ShadowLexi said:

here are pieces of information in Dododex that are completely inaccurate, like intricacies with certain dinos... perfect example is the dolphin. It tells how many tranqs to use... but the dolphin is a passive tame, so doesn't do knockout at all.

KO details for passive tames were added by request of Dododex users -- some users like to KO passive dinos so that they can be carried brought back to their base / taming pen. People asked for this feature so I added it. While the ichthyosaurus can't be picked up by fliers, I thought it'd be best to add the KO section to all dinos in case people want that information for any reason.

Just now, danleveille said:

KO details for passive tames were added by request of Dododex users -- some users like to KO passive dinos so that they can be carried brought back to their base / taming pen. People asked for this feature so I added it. While the ichthyosaurus can't be picked up by fliers, I thought it'd be best to add the KO section to all dinos in case people want that information for any reason.

Huh. Interesting. Except... I tried knocking an Ichthyosaurus out by the guidelines on the Dododex and it ended up killing it rather than knocking it out. So I was starting to wonder if it was even possible to knock passive tames out.

But, I play on an Official PVE server, so they may have something in there that prevents passive tames from being knocked out... whereas PvP and unofficials may find that more beneficial.

Just now, ShadowLexi said:

Huh. Interesting. Except... I tried knocking an Ichthyosaurus out by the guidelines on the Dododex and it ended up killing it rather than knocking it out. So I was starting to wonder if it was even possible to knock passive tames out.

But, I play on an Official PVE server, so they may have something in there that prevents passive tames from being knocked out... whereas PvP and unofficials may find that more beneficial.

It depends on the level and which weapons and multipliers you're using, but the Ichty will die in a lot of KO methods. Dododex calculates the probability of death, and warns you if there's a high likelyhood of death. For example, on a level 30, there's a 100% chance it will die if you use a crossbow or slingshot.

Just now, danleveille said:

It depends on the level and which weapons and multipliers you're using, but the Ichty will die in a lot of KO methods. Dododex calculates the probability of death, and warns you if there's a high likelyhood of death. For example, on a level 30, there's a 100% chance it will die if you use a crossbow or slingshot.

Actually, I'm looking at the Dododex right now for the Ich I was trying to tame (Level 34) and it doesn't have chance of death under darts, crossbow, or bow. It does, however, have it under slingshot (100%).

I was using darts, which says it takes 5 darts. But doesn't give a chance of death at all.

1 minute ago, ShadowLexi said:

Actually, I'm looking at the Dododex right now for the Ich I was trying to tame (Level 34) and it doesn't have chance of death under darts, crossbow, or bow. It does, however, have it under slingshot (100%).

I was using darts, which says it takes 5 darts. But doesn't give a chance of death at all.

A level 34 definitely shouldn't die from 5 darts. 5 darts deal 130 damage total. And the Icthy starts with 275 as its base health, so it's impossible to kill it. So either there's multipliers on your server (like a player damage multiplier or something?), or some other multipliers? Or maybe the Ichty was hurt to begin with?

14 hours ago, skeeta said:

The short version is, I put all 60 arrows into him and he just kept on going. OK, because he was a Bronto there weren't many head shots in there but it still took way more arrows than I thought it would even leaving it 4 to 5 secs between shots. 

I realize you're not using Dododex, but if the app you're using uses the same formula as Dododex, here are some tips:

• Dododex doesn't account for misses (obviously)
  • A lot of players have reported that there are sometimes hitbox errors where it appears to have hit a creature (like the arrow/dart literally stuck into them) but for some reason, it didn't register on the server side. I've heard that this happens more for smaller, quicker dinos (for example, like the dimorphodon), so it's possible that this isn't that much of a problem.
  • Most importantly, Dododex doesn't yet take into account delays between shots (where torpor regenerates). For weaker dinos with low torpor regeneration, this will likely have little to no difference. However, some dinos regenerate quicker. I'm soon adding a feature that takes into account a rough delay between shots to make estimates a bit more accurate. I hope to add this soon!
14 hours ago, skeeta said:

Similar thing happened yesterday too. Went for a lvl 55 trike and his lvl 52 mate attacked me as well. I had 50 tranks and every one was a head shot. They were split between both trikes (because I lost track of which was which) but that still means that one of them took between 25 and 50 arrows in the face but kept going. 

Again, I can't speak for the other app, but the Trike's headshot was only recently added a couple patches ago. Dododex includes the Trike's headshot modifier, but it's possible the other app has not updated.

3 minutes ago, danleveille said:

A level 34 definitely shouldn't die from 5 darts. 5 darts deal 130 damage total. And the Icthy starts with 275 as its base health, so it's impossible to kill it. So either there's multipliers on your server (like a player damage multiplier or something?), or some other multipliers? Or maybe the Ichty was hurt to begin with?

It's... within the realm of possibility it was damaged. I have no idea. It was trapped anyway, so I wouldn't have been able to move it had I managed to tame it. Didn't realize that until later. :)

2 minutes ago, danleveille said:

A lot of players have reported that there are sometimes hitbox errors where it appears to have hit a creature (like the arrow/dart literally stuck into them) but for some reason, it didn't register on the server side. I've heard that this happens more for smaller, quicker dinos (for example, like the dimorphodon), so it's possible that this isn't that much of a problem.

An added note to this, from a personal experience... if you're too far away, such as too high up, and shooting down at something, chances are it isn't registering... I unloaded 100 tranq arrows into a Sarco, at least 90 of which claimed to hit, and it was still chewing my base. Needless to say, the 'actual' number necessary to tranq said Sarco was much lower.

I was maybe 7 or 8 walls up.

Archived