Early game skittishness

clumsynynja

So, I've been playing Ark for a few weeks; I'm high enough level to have decent stuff, and access to good stuff, and a big tribe on my server is super friendly with me and helps me out a lot; but until my fiancee gets a second xbone, I'm a pretty much solo player. And I want to keep it that way, for now; the end goal for me is to be a breeder/supplier with no alliance, with my main 'base' being pve and maybe eventually working out to pvp as well. (Maybe. Who knows?) 

Point is, I've had a couple wipes already, lost some dinos, died a few times...and now I'm pretty skittish. More of crashes or d/cs then dinos, really, but that's because I went through a small period where my internet was funky and it nearly lost me my dino a couple times. And I've heard some stories of people d/cing off their fliers and it ending ugly; I've accidentally fallen off mine already, and gotten lucky enough to get him back. 

Long story short, I'm exploring and taming and stuff, but I'm also super jittery/nervous, both of d/c problems and of finding Gigas or Rexs with my face. (Or Argents, since I do most of my scouting on my flier. :| ) Anyone else have this? Did you used to? Am I just a scardy-baby? xD

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

Anyone else have this? Did you used to? Am I just a scardy-baby? xD

You are rightly jittery. 

The DCs and bugs will, for a fact, keep taking your work and dinos from you. The game is still pretty buggy.

Only options for now is to grin and bear it or wait until the game is more stable.

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

You are rightly jittery. 

The DCs and bugs will, for a fact, keep taking your work and dinos from you. The game is still pretty buggy.

Only options for now is to grin and bear it or wait until the game is more stable.

I haven't actually lost anything to the game's problems; the only times I had d/c issues were with my own internet frickin' up, and those should be resolved. I get minor lag, but only once have I ever had anything making the game unplayable, and that seemed to be an anomaly day. 

I'm just skittish that it will happen, and also scared that I'll go exploring...and bam, I'll find something I shouldn't, and die, and I know that's part of the game but I still find myself spooked. xD

Even us Pc players who have been around in the days where the Rex and Spinos were the top dogs, still don't know what to expect when we log in.   There have been times where I have seen mine and other player's dinosaurs on my server float into the great abyss in the sky, never to be seen again.    I guess, it's the excitement the game brings of no matter how many times you go into an area, there's always going to be a different attack on the horizon.   Raptors, giga, that occasional titansaur tail that you swear was no where near you when you chomped on that phiomia.  

No matter how many times you lose something, you know there's that one chance you can find something better in some way, shape, or form.   Lose your base?   Learn what your weak spot was, and rebuild it better.  

The game offers you so many different opportunities, and styles of play, it's why many of us, no matter how upset we get, are still around! 

Good luck and be safe out there!

Edit: forgot about the D/C.  You get used to it after a while when it does happen.  Just tame a back up.   :)

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, clumsynynja said:

I haven't actually lost anything to the game's problems; the only times I had d/c issues were with my own internet frickin' up, and those should be resolved. I get minor lag, but only once have I ever had anything making the game unplayable, and that seemed to be an anomaly day. 

I'm just skittish that it will happen, and also scared that I'll go exploring...and bam, I'll find something I shouldn't, and die, and I know that's part of the game but I still find myself spooked. xD

You haven't lost anything because you haven't ventured out yet. :)

You will lose stuff, you will die. Each time you learn something "not to do". It's part of the game/fun.

After a while you will have learned most of the lessons and then it will just be the DCs killing you and taking your dinos and stuff.

Just now, Joebl0w13 said:

You haven't lost anything because you haven't ventured out yet. :)

You will lose stuff, you will die. Each time you learn something "not to do". It's part of the game/fun.

After a while you will have learned most of the lessons and then it will just be the DCs killing you and taking your dinos and stuff.

...I mean, I haven't lost anything to the game d/cing or lagging. My server's pretty good. 

I have ventured out; just get spooked every single damn time. XDDD 

I just get so attached to mah babies ;-; lol. Especally my little flier, squishy little bbu she is. I know I should be prepared to lose these guys, and I am, I just...don't wannnnnnaaaaaaaaa. xD 

4 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Even us Pc players who have been around in the days where the Rex and Spinos were the top dogs, still don't know what to expect when we log in.   There have been times where I have seen mine and other player's dinosaurs on my server float into the great abyss in the sky, never to be seen again.    I guess, it's the excitement the game brings of no matter how many times you go into an area, there's always going to be a different attack on the horizon.   Raptors, giga, that occasional titansaur tail that you swear was no where near you when you chomped on that phiomia.  

No matter how many times you lose something, you know there's that one chance you can find something better in some way, shape, or form.   Lose your base?   Learn what your weak spot was, and rebuild it better.  

The game offers you so many different opportunities, and styles of play, it's why many of us, no matter how upset we get, are still around! 

Good luck and be safe out there!

Edit: forgot about the D/C.  You get used to it after a while when it does happen.  Just tame a back up.   :)

Pfffttt oh no! 

It is exciting and fun, and super cool to be soaring high in the sky to see a rex (I think it was a rex, though it seemed big for one) fighting a therizinosaurus , and then a meglo and a spino duking it out; a carno and a raptor BOTH getting their butts kicked by three carbonemys...just so freakin' cool and epic and terrifying

And it's super exciting to think about what I'm gonna find out there! But also just...overwhelming, I think. It's so big and there's so much that could go so wrong. xD

Go forth, and proudly defecate when a 30 strong herd of Allo shows up and charges you. Seriously though you are going to lose, and you are going to lose a lot until you get out there and fight, learn, survive.

Getting out there is the only way to learn the weakness of your opponent Dino. A trike can take on a Rex in the right hands.

So go, do, just dont take anything you arent willing to lose!

10 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

Go forth, and proudly defecate when a 30 strong herd of Allo shows up and charges you. Seriously though you are going to lose, and you are going to lose a lot until you get out there and fight, learn, survive.

Getting out there is the only way to learn the weakness of your opponent Dino. A trike can take on a Rex in the right hands.

So go, do, just dont take anything you arent willing to lose!

xD I WILL DEFECATE IN YOUR HONOR. 

15 minutes ago, TheLastNerb said:

To make losing animals not as hard, I always name animals I don't want to get attached to a number. So when your 4748 (pteranodon) lvl 340 dies it doesn't suck do bad. 

I'm thinking about doing this; only using my favorites for 'safe' runs and keeping ones I'm less attached to for more dangerous endeavors. 

14 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Also, remember should you be in a spot where fleeing is not an option, do the next best thing and ensure the death of that dinosaur is one of legend, one you can speak of for all times!!   

:)

As you may have notted from my siggie, the brave and fearless Panzer is an example of this. xD

18 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

I'm thinking about doing this; only using my favorites for 'safe' runs and keeping ones I'm less attached to for more dangerous endeavors. 

Remember this and remember it well. In ARK, There is no such thing as a "safe" run. My favorite tame sits behind triple thick Dino gateways, protected and safe, and used only for breeding of more....expendable Dino.

1. Build a taming raft and make 30 scorpion kibble

2. Kite a level 150 rex onto the taming raft, knock out and tame in peace

3. Put a saddle on the rex 

4. Fear nothing

Seriously though, a high level kibble tamed rex will wreck 99% of all wild dinos. I can take out alpha raptors, carnos and low level alpha rexes no problem. Once you do this there is very little to fear anymore. I tame them solo all the time with no problem.

3 hours ago, clumsynynja said:

Don't take your bird anywhere risky unless you have a backup bird. If you always keep track of where you are at, then if you do get a DC and die, you can spawn at your base and retrieve your bird. You might even find your body bag, but the priority needs to be the bird. Unless you have a 3rd bird, don't risk going for the body if it means you could die again.

Any player that has been playing this game for awhile has gone through this. A little over a year ago the game would DC you all the time, but back then it would also drop you to the ground and you would take fall damage and die. Now at least you have half a chance of getting the bird back and not dying.

3 hours ago, theronin said:

Remap E to R and you will never accidentally eject again.  Best advice I ever got.

when I 1st started to fly I would hit the E key by mistake when going for the W key and dismount to my death.

I watched a youtuber who said he changed E to the R key but never said why. I tried that and will never go back, I no longer fall to my death.

it takes time to get use to the new key change, but it is well worth the change. just my 2 cents :)

Thank you youtuber I forget your name sorry.

8 hours ago, clumsynynja said:

So, I've been playing Ark for a few weeks; I'm high enough level to have decent stuff, and access to good stuff, and a big tribe on my server is super friendly with me and helps me out a lot; but until my fiancee gets a second xbone, I'm a pretty much solo player. And I want to keep it that way, for now; the end goal for me is to be a breeder/supplier with no alliance, with my main 'base' being pve and maybe eventually working out to pvp as well. (Maybe. Who knows?) 

Point is, I've had a couple wipes already, lost some dinos, died a few times...and now I'm pretty skittish. More of crashes or d/cs then dinos, really, but that's because I went through a small period where my internet was funky and it nearly lost me my dino a couple times. And I've heard some stories of people d/cing off their fliers and it ending ugly; I've accidentally fallen off mine already, and gotten lucky enough to get him back. 

Long story short, I'm exploring and taming and stuff, but I'm also super jittery/nervous, both of d/c problems and of finding Gigas or Rexs with my face. (Or Argents, since I do most of my scouting on my flier. :| ) Anyone else have this? Did you used to? Am I just a scardy-baby? xD

Dude! I miss the days when all I had to worry about was argys and other Dino's. If you are new to the game then all I have to say is.... stop playing. Yes it is very very very fun at the stage you are at. You will get to the point to where you get wiped so much that you decide you need x species and auto turrets. Remember this because this will he the most important thing anybody says to you. You will never have enough of either. And when I say enough I mean 500 xspecies and atleast 200 turrets. Even that is easily wipe able.

heres a story from one of my servers. There was a guy that came on and actually built a really nice bar/restaurant on one of the islands by skull mountain. And I will say again it was built nice. Luckily the alpha thought is was cool too. We HAD a peaceful server. One day when the INFESTATION came that poor guy was just a skid mark on the road.

the sad thing was by then he had already built multiple hang out places for everyone and they destroyed everything.

you need to get a quick lesson in "ark" pvp. This is not pvp. This is literally good people vs bad people. I know the alphas try to say they aren't or they hide behind the fact that it is a game. Who cares if it is a game. When you play a game it brings out who you really are(yes it does, don't try to argue).

unfortunately you came into the game very late in its maturity. This game was so awesome back in the day that I didn't even care if I DC'ed once every couple days.

you now live in the world where you have very specific rules you can or can't do even though you paid as much as everyone else. You also live in this world where you get DC'ed more now than a year ago. They will tell you that the game is in early development but as far as my experience goes which is over a year the problems have gotten worse every time they add something with no outlook on things getting better.

also don't let them tell you that because it's early access that's why things are so bad. Remember that this game has been in early access for over a year now.

if I had a tv show this game would have big problems by now!

either way,  the new game i former has been out now and didn't even mention ark,   Which is for very good reason......

if you are early access you do not deserve recognition. Not just that but if you are just playing god on your own game without actually being god, you don't need to be mentioned at all... that's just sad.

lastly, all of the favoritism and discrimination I have seen whether it is in the forums or in game that have gone unpunished the past year and wildcard has not done anything about it? 

That my friends is the saddest part of any convo on here. We love the game, the devs do not.

be it money or fame, that is what matters not us. If it did they would make VERY drastic changes to their game.

31 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Dude! I miss the days when all I had to worry about was argys and other Dino's. If you are new to the game then all I have to say is.... stop playing. Yes it is very very very fun at the stage you are at. You will get to the point to where you get wiped so much that you decide you need x species and auto turrets. Remember this because this will he the most important thing anybody says to you. You will never have enough of either. And when I say enough I mean 500 xspecies and atleast 200 turrets. Even that is easily wipe able.

heres a story from one of my servers. There was a guy that came on and actually built a really nice bar/restaurant on one of the islands by skull mountain. And I will say again it was built nice. Luckily the alpha thought is was cool too. We HAD a peaceful server. One day when the INFESTATION came that poor guy was just a skid mark on the road.

the sad thing was by then he had already built multiple hang out places for everyone and they destroyed everything.

you need to get a quick lesson in "ark" pvp. This is not pvp. This is literally good people vs bad people. I know the alphas try to say they aren't or they hide behind the fact that it is a game. Who cares if it is a game. When you play a game it brings out who you really are(yes it does, don't try to argue).

unfortunately you came into the game very late in its maturity. This game was so awesome back in the day that I didn't even care if I DC'ed once every couple days.

you now live in the world where you have very specific rules you can or can't do even though you paid as much as everyone else. You also live in this world where you get DC'ed more now than a year ago. They will tell you that the game is in early development but as far as my experience goes which is over a year the problems have gotten worse every time they add something with no outlook on things getting better.

also don't let them tell you that because it's early access that's why things are so bad. Remember that this game has been in early access for over a year now.

if I had a tv show this game would have big problems by now!

either way,  the new game i former has been out now and didn't even mention ark,   Which is for very good reason......

if you are early access you do not deserve recognition. Not just that but if you are just playing god on your own game without actually being god, you don't need to be mentioned at all... that's just sad.

lastly, all of the favoritism and discrimination I have seen whether it is in the forums or in game that have gone unpunished the past year and wildcard has not done anything about it? 

That my friends is the saddest part of any convo on here. We love the game, the devs do not.

be it money or fame, that is what matters not us. If it did they would make VERY drastic changes to their game.

...I play pve

And no, I don't plan on not playing. Nor am I naive, young, or stupid. I am new to Ark, but I've been following it, and I'm not new to gaming.  It is EA, therefore it will have problems.

I didn't ask for ranting and raving about how awful WC , early access, the forums and this game are. If you hate it that much, maybe you should find something you enjoy playing more. 

Please remove yourself and your negativity  and poor, condescending attitude from my thread. And stop trying to turn new players away from the game, that's gross. 

Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

...I play pve

And no, I don't plan on not playing. Nor am I naive, young, or stupid. I am new to Ark, but I've been following it, and I'm not new to gaming.  It is EA, therefore it will have problems.

I didn't ask for ranting and raving about how awful WC , early access, the forums and this game are. If you hate it that much, maybe you should find something you enjoy playing more. 

Please remove yourself and your negativity  and poor, condescending attitude from my thread. And stop trying to turn new players away from the game, that's gross. 

Thanks. 

No sorry. What I said had direct intention to your thread and I said nothing bad towards you personally. Get off your high horse cause it's going no where along with this game. 

Have fun in lala land

9 hours ago, clumsynynja said:

That is cool you think it was your internet. I wish I was naive as well. 

Anyways as far as being skittish m, you should be, the game has normal crashes and it has nothing to do with anybody's internet at all

Archived