PGM's Broken? Xbox One

So when PGM's first released, it was a unique thing to do alwhile trying to understand how it works, and in the first few times it worked. However, eventually my PGM's stopped working. Now when i try to create a PGM, it's essentially spawning me either 1) outside of the map with no way in or 2) no map and just water, literally just water. In both cases, my character spawns in the air, and even with using commands, it has no use.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions or advice?

1 hour ago, iDizzy81 said:

I have, several times over. It just does the same thing over and over sadly.

I feel your pain. I used to try over and over to create maps and would spawn so far away from the land. Then one day.... boom on the island. Makes no sense at all. It has to with dev kit generation, putting you in a corner of the map beyond the boundaries. This issue is completely on Jeremy ( the code master at wildcard behind the curtains), who has not once posted anything but the lazy quicky guide on the settings, like 3-4 months ago. O.o

try altering your "shoreline thickness" number. that seems to solve the problem for me of being placed outside the game boundary. No idea why, maybe shoreline thickness and offset got switched.

Also, try adjusting those terrain scale multipliers, I'd set my Y to 3 and get out of bounds everytime. I think

Tiny islands can be caused by having a higher "turbulence" number. If you want a more round, less broken up island, try a turbulence value of like 0.00001 or however many "0"s you can fit in that bar

I should add that each of those variables in the PWG settings probably effects more than one thing, since it's all connected. Most likely.

http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/563/2/Dimotakis.pdf

(just search for "dimotakis.pdf" cause I cant post the link. )

here is a good article on fractal-stuff and Mandelbrot's? problem of "how long is the coast of England" a question the Treasury Dept asked when they were budgeting defence costs during WW2. (you know, cost per mile. Turns out, mathematically the coast of England has infinite length, something Math-people hate (singularities) so this guy in WW2 found a "crinkly" formula from some dead Greek and applied it to the coastline problem, and well, he set a "variable" for different "crinkly levels" along the coastline and was able to get a failry accurate measurement of the coast to give to the war department.

(all the neat fun video game stuff actually game from military stuff first, like ray-tracing was developed to take the place to real nuclear tests. to virtualy "trace" the radiation and heat and light created by a an atomic bomb (it was actually bigger than that) and simulate it because the Strategic Test Ban Treaty was a thing.)

20 hours ago, derrickmoore said:

try altering your "shoreline thickness" number. that seems to solve the problem for me of being placed outside the game boundary. No idea why, maybe shoreline thickness and offset got switched.

Also, try adjusting those terrain scale multipliers, I'd set my Y to 3 and get out of bounds everytime. I think

Should the shoreline thickness be higher or lower?

Archived