Alpha mosa drop loot

Skrub

I thought alpha mosas were supposed to drop fishing rods but I've killed over 20 and only gotten an apprentice one so far.. other than that all I get is cloth armor, berries, a crossbow or 2(reg-mc), chiting armor.... this is kinda mediocre since these alphas are not that easy to kill especially when they get into the higher levels. :Jerbmad: Am I the only one having bad luck or is this common?

• Volunteer Moderator

my understanding is that there is a small chance to drop a fishing rod, among other things, which is all decided by our friend RNG. perhaps someone on here has checked out the loot tables for the Alpha Mosa and can explain in more detail or even what the actual chances are for a rod to drop.

good luck tho!!

Umm, never seen a rod in the underwater drop loot table. How are you getting them from deep sea crates? And the loot table on alpha mosas have been altered. When alpha mosas first came to the center, you would get a rod from every other or every third alpha mosa. My brother and I killed nine alpha mosas last night on an official server. Not one rod. However, in solo mode, I spawned fourteen random level alpha tusos one after another and killed them one by one. I got a total of nine rods, two from one tuso. One of which was ascendant, and a few MC. RNG is one thing. Altering the drop rate percentages is another. Huge difference. We kill alpha mosas three and four a day easy. We have not seen a rod in two weeks. I am not saying you can't get one from an alpha mosa, what I am saying is that the drop rate percentage of fishing rods has been lowered massively. They probably did that to cause more people to fight alpha tusos instead of alpha mosas. Kinda like how they nerfed the goggles to only work in their new caves. Please knock it off with the hamhanded forcing of players to go where you want in a sandbox game.

Also, the level of the alpha mosa has nothing to do with the loot dropped. The one 330% effectiveness rod(best we ever got) was from a level 35 alpha. Many 145 and 135 have been killed with crap level loot. Never seen a 150 alpha mosa. Looking forward to it. We killed so many last night because we had a four day old 209 mosa and a fresh tamed 214 to level up. One of the ones killed last night was a 140 alpha. We got a JM crossbow. Definitely altered the loot table percentages.

I did not see it in the patch notes that they altered the loot table for fishing rods drop percentage. I suspect though, that it goes deeper than that. Break out your tin foil, because I think RNG may be player based. Further testing is needed, as I have two accounts, and intend to use them to see if RNG is tied to your character by some sort of multiplier. My tribe has been murdering alphas since day 1 of their introduction on the server. We got plenty of rods, two and three a day sometimes. But the quality and frequency has steadily gone down despite killing more and more alpha mosas. Just like the frequency we get asc ghillie has increased the more we hit the underwater drops. I suspect some dirty programming to punish people who scrub the drops frequently. We've stopped hitting underwater drops as often, because it just was not worth it. Remember how the alpha tribes used to block the drops off? Then Jen went and had some changes done to them so they would just slide off to the side. All well and good, we did not block them, but we took advantage of it as did anyone else with a low level icthy and the coords of the unblocked drops.  I am going to test with a low level account I have to see if RNG is tied to the player, maybe the steam account. Why not? They tied tribute to your steam profile. What else is tied to it?

1 hour ago, Layton said:

I did not see it in the patch notes that they altered the loot table for fishing rods drop percentage. I suspect though, that it goes deeper than that. Break out your tin foil, because I think RNG may be player based. Further testing is needed, as I have two accounts, and intend to use them to see if RNG is tied to your character by some sort of multiplier. My tribe has been murdering alphas since day 1 of their introduction on the server. We got plenty of rods, two and three a day sometimes. But the quality and frequency has steadily gone down despite killing more and more alpha mosas. Just like the frequency we get asc ghillie has increased the more we hit the underwater drops. I suspect some dirty programming to punish people who scrub the drops frequently. We've stopped hitting underwater drops as often, because it just was not worth it. Remember how the alpha tribes used to block the drops off? Then Jen went and had some changes done to them so they would just slide off to the side. All well and good, we did not block them, but we took advantage of it as did anyone else with a low level icthy and the coords of the unblocked drops.  I am going to test with a low level account I have to see if RNG is tied to the player, maybe the steam account. Why not? They tied tribute to your steam profile. What else is tied to it?

That's a nice story and all, but how can RNG be tied to players? Deep Sea drops have the same items for the whole server and  are predetermined on Alphas. The game cannot calculate that you will kill a Mosa or loot a drop. Your feeling is more wrong than right.

2 hours ago, Layton said:

Umm, never seen a rod in the underwater drop loot table. How are you getting them from deep sea crates? And the loot table on alpha mosas have been altered. When alpha mosas first came to the center, you would get a rod from every other or every third alpha mosa. My brother and I killed nine alpha mosas last night on an official server. Not one rod. However, in solo mode, I spawned fourteen random level alpha tusos one after another and killed them one by one. I got a total of nine rods, two from one tuso. One of which was ascendant, and a few MC. RNG is one thing. Altering the drop rate percentages is another. Huge difference. We kill alpha mosas three and four a day easy. We have not seen a rod in two weeks. I am not saying you can't get one from an alpha mosa, what I am saying is that the drop rate percentage of fishing rods has been lowered massively. They probably did that to cause more people to fight alpha tusos instead of alpha mosas. Kinda like how they nerfed the goggles to only work in their new caves. Please knock it off with the hamhanded forcing of players to go where you want in a sandbox game.

i don't mind fighting tusos, if only they spawned! I never seen them since after the last few patches or so

2 hours ago, Layton said:

Not RNG itself, but a value modifier attached to steam id or player name. The more drops you collect in a given time frame, the lower the multiplier. Like fishing. Effectiveness of rod vs fish size determines value of loot dropped by fish.

As you might not read it. The item in the drop is predetermined. You steam ID or player name multiplier cannot exist, because the drop already has the item in it when it spawns. So all 70 people on the server with different "Steam ID multipliers" get the exact same item in a drop.

You are probably right on the underwater loot drops. But as evidenced above by another poster, the alpha mosa loot table has changed. Three kills tonight. No fishing pole. And the only other tribe on our server with the capability of killing alphas has never gotten one from an alpha. But they have only had that capability for two weeks. Huge difference from right after they showed up on The Center and every other one had a pole. And we don't have alpha tusos here. So effectively, we do not get the rods anymore. We had at least thirty poles from alphas in the first month. Now, after two weeks and no rods, pretty sure they nerfed the fishing pole drop rate. RNG means they select from a list. It's not truly random unless everything has an equal rate of being dropped. Getting three pickaxes and two crossbows is not random if you get the same items every time with varying quality.

Correct. But a former 33 to 50 percent chance has been changed to less than a 5 percent chance. Killing a dozen alphas in two days and no fishing pole, compared to two weeks ago getting one every other or third kill is a definite drop in rates. That, I do know. Which takes me back to them nerfing the drop rates. You just got your mosa a few days ago, and were not around for the previous rate. I have been killing them since alpha mosas were introduced on the Island map. They nerfed the fishing pole drop rate.

29 minutes ago, Layton said:

Correct. But a former 33 to 50 percent chance has been changed to less than a 5 percent chance. Killing a dozen alphas in two days and no fishing pole, compared to two weeks ago getting one every other or third kill is a definite drop in rates. That, I do know. Which takes me back to them nerfing the drop rates. You just got your mosa a few days ago, and were not around for the previous rate. I have been killing them since alpha mosas were introduced on the Island map. They nerfed the fishing pole drop rate.

Are you on PC?  I'm on official PC servers and have regularly killing Alpha Mosa ever since they announced they added fishing rods to their drop table.  In the entire time from then till now I've got 2 rods, 1 on day 1 and one yesterday.  So from what I've seen, it was never anything like 33-50% to start with, the drop rate has been low (for me) the whole time and it's far less than 5% which is only 1 in 20.

It's hard to get accurate stats with only 1 or 2 people as you can see how wildly rng can vary.

5 minutes ago, Kallor said:

Are you on PC?  I'm on official PC servers and have regularly killing Alpha Mosa ever since they announced they added fishing rods to their drop table.  In the entire time from then till now I've got 2 rods, 1 on day 1 and one yesterday.  So from what I've seen, it was never anything like 33-50% to start with, the drop rate has been low (for me) the whole time and it's far less than 5% which is only 1 in 20.

It's hard to get accurate stats with only 1 or 2 people as you can see how wildly rng can vary.

It's all random. You can get no rods, or you can get many rods. And if they made such a drastic change, they'd announce it.

15 hours ago, Skrub said:

I thought alpha mosas were supposed to drop fishing rods but I've killed over 20 and only gotten an apprentice one so far.. other than that all I get is cloth armor, berries, a crossbow or 2(reg-mc), chiting armor.... this is kinda mediocre since these alphas are not that easy to kill especially when they get into the higher levels. :Jerbmad: Am I the only one having bad luck or is this common?

Off topic I know, but what's the best way too kill these things? Ie what dino do you use? I want too tame something capable.

Or a squid. I had no idea that squid were as powerful as they are. We have a 70 armor squid saddle on a squid that tamed at 123. It is now 166 with 300 melee. The darned thing killed a level 50 alpha mosa last night in less than five minutes. Squid lost 12K health. Swam up, grabbed a dunkle, drained it dry, was back at full health in three minutes. It's crazy. A high level tamed squid would be terrifying. We is gonna be looking hard this weekend for one.

Archived