discuss Who else could never play an online sever unless it is a Non-official Dedicated

bo0MXxXsplatter

TLDR; What do you think about Official Servers vs. Non Official (Dedicated) Servers? I find Non Officials better and more regulated due to the availability of good admins and such powers to keep those really toxic players out.

Seriously, theres no way to prevent ALL exploits such as pillaring and kiting in PvE. Or impenetrable bases outside the map and Alphas that basically make it illegal to join 'their' public server in PvP. There are always going to 'these people' in this game, it's an open world survival game, you are supposed to do whatever you want. But they can greatly ruin the experience for so many other players, they are a minority having fun at the expense of a majority. That's what I think...

That's also why I am never really going to play Official Servers (I'm not making a blood-pact or anything though), am I the only one who thinks this way about official servers? OBVIOUSLY extinction servers prevent much of this, and I might try them, but for regular survival, dedicated servers can offer a lot more fun to every player. They allow for admins which constantly check for exploits, a small community which can grow to become friends (and playing with friends makes ANY game better), and the ability to grow and prune your very own set of players, avoiding the more toxic players while retaining some the more normal players who along with having fun can still provide enough competition where they still will raid you in PvP, as the game mode is built around raiding, but still doesn't require you to be rude about it to each other.

This isn't me complaining about official servers, or the people who play them, but to ask a simple question, what servers do you prefer? Official or Non-Official, and why. I felt the need to ask this question because I am always seeing complaints about the game, and (when they are not about bugs or poor optimization) they usually involve exploits which can easily be tracked and eliminated in Dedicated servers with good admins. Wish I could create a poll, but I dunno how.

End of the semi-ranty post.

I played officials a long time ago, and after some stuff that happened decided to run my own server.   Since then I've met new players, gained new friends, and am still continuing to meet new players.    They may not always stick around, but as you said it's that safety measure of giving the players, should a glitch happen where a dinosaur gets stuck, or they lose something to a glitch, they don't have to wait weeks for it to get back.  

But then again, I can see concerns of playing on an unofficial as who knows if it's going to be there tomorrow.

55 minutes ago, skeeta said:

On the flip side though, the Private dedicated I've been playing on seem's to have disappeared without warning. Not such a big thing for me as my survivor was only level 30 but there were a few big bases on there that obviously had many many hours of work in them.

Yeah there's always that problem, dedicated servers can sometimes dissapear without notice from the host

I've done both, and I'm currently playing on an official Xbox server now.  When the game originally came out it was way too difficult for me and my friends to play on an official server together so we pooled our funds together and bought an Xbox so we could set it up as a server.  It was fun but it definitely had it's drawbacks.  At first it was great and tons of people were clambering to join.  The big issue in the beginning is the hosting software at least at the time was so buggy that the server would go down randomly without warning.  This was a real bugger when my brother wasn't home to reset it so folks would of course complain that the server was down and who could blame them?  We later moved it to our other friends house who worked from home but even then it's not like he was home 24/7.  In the end people got bored and slowly the server died.  We decommissioned it about 6 months ago, but it was fun while it lasted.  My brother has already said once Wildcard releases the ability to host a server on a PC he's going to set one up so we'll see how that goes...

Iv mostly played unofficial on PC, ran my own server which was semi successful. Iv now bought a ps4 instead of upgrading my PC, I'm now dabbling in official PVP servers but as Iv left all my friends on PC I'm playing solo and struggling tbh. I love the idea of official as in being on a server that does t wipe, having the ability to change servers, raid servers, to trade and most importantly not having a admin abuse powers, shut down server, wipe whenever they get raided Ect. 

I think I'm craving that alpha experience Iv seen on YouTube, huge bases, hundreds of tames, cross ark raids ect. Iv done it on ummoficial, I want the official experience but struggle to find the people to do it with and doing solo is virtually impossible. 

20 hours ago, skeeta said:

On the flip side though, the Private dedicated I've been playing on seem's to have disappeared without warning. Not such a big thing for me as my survivor was only level 30 but there were a few big bases on there that obviously had many many hours of work in them.

I only played unofficial, but the above is one of the reasons I switched to official. The other was that there were too many mods on most of the unofficial servers.

I did eventually find a really good unofficial that lasted a long time, but even that server eventually reset.

I think I would be interested in running an unofficial, but only if my only task was booting griefers. I wouldn't want to be in the business of finding or replacing lost dinos, that would just consume too much of my time.

I've done both but mainly played on Official servers for 90% of my playtime. The server I play on most is on the whole a good server. The Alpha isn't aggressive unless you act like a sausage and attack them or attack noobs. Most of the rest of the tribes are decent too. 

I've been on a few different unofficial servers and I mainly have been on 10x rates servers, 2 out of 3 occasions the server vanished and didn't resurface. One of those I was very annoyed my tribe had built up a really respectable base.  But since it was 10x I didn't feel as hard done by as it didn't take anywhere near as long to obtain as opposed to official.

So overall I prefer Official as I need the reliability that my hard work wont just suddenly vanish if the host's PC blows up.

I don't understand these types of threads. What does it matter if I prefer official and you prefer unofficial? What if your boss likes unofficial servers but your brother likes official ones? Does it somehow sway your opinion one way or another? Im not trying to be a wiseguy; I just don't see the point.

Like going to a restaurant, Im sure each of has had good and bad experiences on official and unofficial. Heres my take for whatever its worth:

• Ive played official PVE since the games launch. At the start it was great. Recently, as in the past 3 or so months, it seems there is tremendous lag and rubber banding, overcrowding, and lack of dino spawns. I also don't like that the servers are based in Germany now while im in the USA. On the plus side: The servers are run by the game company who created the game: meaning, they aren't going anywhere. They are here to stay. There are no admins popping on to grant buddies wishes of nutty stat dinos. There are no goofy mods and there are a ton of players online.

• Ive ran and played on unofficial servers. There are mods which make it interesting. There are mods I think are astounding and greatly improve the game while not making it easy or stupid (Small example: The kibble mod that changes the look of Kibble into the actual egg type its created from so you can glance in your fridge and know exactly what kibble is what without having to hover over each to get the type). But on the flipside, Ive found a majority of servers are run by college kids, younger people without a serious income, or those who grow bored with the game and move on or like to make it easy for friends. Because of a series of unofficial servers like this, I have no faith in unofficials. Will the server be there in a month? How about a year from now? Can it get more then 10 people on it or will it forever be doomed to the same 7 or so players? Will we get another reset?

Official vs Unofficial is completely personal taste and experience. Not a right or wrong decision..

A lot of people who play official PvE stay because they've been there a long time and don't want to start over. It is incredibly demoralizing to take down a huge base and kill or give away dozens of dinos, then think of going to another server to do it all over again. Wake up naked, pick bushes and punch trees until you can afford a spear, tame egg layers for basic kibble, go over all the grinding again until you have the industrial stuff and max level pteras and rexes and a quetz and a giga. Etc etc. Like me, a lot of people on official PvE first started out either a long time ago before things got bad, or didn't know things were bad before they'd built up past the point of starting over. Now some of us are finally leaving, and some are sticking it out while participating a lot less in server communities.

I used to play Official a decent amount and still do occasionally, but I've mostly shifted over to unofficial servers (a mix of SP, Dedi, and non-Dedi... one of each, actually). I find that, while Official would be really fun to play in theory, it has some major problems:

1- Rates. Too little reward for a lot of effort. Gather rates are probably okay (most of my servers tend to be somewhere from x1.5 to x2.5), but taming is pretty redonkulous, even with kibble. If tame rates were 2x at least, I'd get behind that, but even the current 1x are a little much for me, considering how much other stuff I have going on during the day.
2- Players. Literally, this is the biggest reason I don't play Official. On non-dedi, I can deal with people being annoying or being jerks. On Official, people pretty much can wipe, troll, and zerg with impunity, and you're not able to respond too effectively without a pretty concerted effort from the rest of the server... much of whom may be just as hostile or unhelpful as the alpha or zerg tribe. I hate to say it, but the online community is probably the worst thing about the entire game.
3- Lag. I personally haven't ever had major issues with lag, but some people seem to have incredible cases of rubberbanding or FPS drop, so I'm throwing it up here anyway.

Don't get me wrong--I like challenge, I like competition, and I like a little bit of grind. I don't like when weeks and weeks of hard work get wiped in half an hour by a kid with a rocket launcher and a Giga. On Unofficial, though, I find that non of these concerns are problems. Since I tend to run most of my servers, I also don't have the whole "disappearing server" concern, and I make a point of communicating with my friends on there when server resets and down-time are planned.

Well first Ill start off with Im on Xbox and PvE, so non officials are kind of out of the question for me in long term.

I like non officials because you can regulate your server appropriately(Tame times, harvest, etc.) and have the ability to take immediate action in terms of griefing. Lots of resources and dinos to go around that cant be "claimed". Its fun and fast but I dont feel the same challenge in it, its almost too controlled. 

I like the unknown of officials, meeting new people, having to watch the map seeing what people are up to, the challenge of being smarter then the jerks trying to undo your work. Plus it being live 100% of the time with what I would like to think is a more stable environment as a host. 

I just live in both, I dont attach myself to things that are on my official servers. I go in knowing that tomorrow it could all be gone (Its happened). Then I build for fun/test things on my SP/Dedicated to get a break from the constant changes and grinding.  

21 hours ago, bo0MXxXsplatter said:

Yeah there's always that problem, dedicated servers can sometimes dissapear without notice from the host

that is because server bills for most high end servers that can run ark smooth with no lag cost a fiar bit per month so unless there is a way for those owners to make money and or community donates often then they die out 6

On 1/25/2017 at 3:17 PM, bo0MXxXsplatter said:

TLDR; What do you think about Official Servers vs. Non Official (Dedicated) Servers? I find Non Officials better and more regulated due to the availability of good admins and such powers to keep those really toxic players out.

Seriously, theres no way to prevent ALL exploits such as pillaring and kiting in PvE. Or impenetrable bases outside the map and Alphas that basically make it illegal to join 'their' public server in PvP. There are always going to 'these people' in this game, it's an open world survival game, you are supposed to do whatever you want. But they can greatly ruin the experience for so many other players, they are a minority having fun at the expense of a majority. That's what I think...

That's also why I am never really going to play Official Servers (I'm not making a blood-pact or anything though), am I the only one who thinks this way about official servers? OBVIOUSLY extinction servers prevent much of this, and I might try them, but for regular survival, dedicated servers can offer a lot more fun to every player. They allow for admins which constantly check for exploits, a small community which can grow to become friends (and playing with friends makes ANY game better), and the ability to grow and prune your very own set of players, avoiding the more toxic players while retaining some the more normal players who along with having fun can still provide enough competition where they still will raid you in PvP, as the game mode is built around raiding, but still doesn't require you to be rude about it to each other.

This isn't me complaining about official servers, or the people who play them, but to ask a simple question, what servers do you prefer? Official or Non-Official, and why. I felt the need to ask this question because I am always seeing complaints about the game, and (when they are not about bugs or poor optimization) they usually involve exploits which can easily be tracked and eliminated in Dedicated servers with good admins. Wish I could create a poll, but I dunno how.

End of the semi-ranty post.

m8 im on xbox and the non dedicated servers crash alot... :(

I have played on one pvp non official, run by a youtuber. Lots of rules, raid protection, etc etc. Rules start changing as we hit people and people complain to Hair Of the Dog.

Can't kill passives anymore, no problem. I log on, take ptera outside and go back inside while I am chatting. Hear ptera being attacked to see whats up, 3 guys LV11 to LV17 in full flak, longnecks and pikes kill my ptera and me :D Obviously alts.

Long story short after they tried the same stupid raid attacks on us for a few days. Realise they are going to have problems dealing with us and ban all for personal abuse :D

On official for months wwe have been rocketed so many times from under the map I have lost count. We go to attack we get lagged switched, we take out a FOB we get ddosed with them trying to force a rollback, we start an attack and before we can even render we are being aimbotted. So much more goes on but we still have some level of control on official that you dont on unofficial.

The thing is you have options, pvp, pve, primative, a bazillion flavors of unofficial...... something for everyone just find one that suits your personality.

Archived