Introducing the Megalosaurus!

Jatheish

7 hours ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

The dossier looks nice, as always, but...

Carnivores, carnivores, carnivores. Carnivores everywhere. Frickin' nothing but carnivores. Is that what this game is going to look like as a finished product? A "survival" game that plays more like an FPS because 75% of the animals on the island want to eat you, and you can't cross the next hill without running into four different species of predator? It's hard to imagine interesting predator-prey relationships arising from this population, and even more difficult to imagine that once you guys get improved AI in the mix certain species of herbivore will become excessively rare for no other reason than too many different things are trying to eat them. 

With the Megalosaurus introduced, carnivorous dinosaurs only outmatch herbivores by one species in Ark. And one of those carnivores is the Oviraptor that poses no threat and eats eggs. There're far more herbivorous mammals than there are carnivores, and almost half of the Reptiles and Amphibians, while they do eat meat, won't attack you ( ie. the Beezlebufo, Quetzal, Icthy, etc). People keep forgetting those 'peaceful' meat-eaters. 

But I do think it would be nice if the developers fiddled with some of the spawn rates. I mean, first seeing a Rex in the wilds in Ark is scary. But you'll probably see five more in the next two minutes and it soon becomes 'oh another Rex'. Larger carnivores should be scaled back in terms of how easy they are to find. Make it feel rewarding when you finally stumble upon one. Maybe they'll do something of the sort when hunting territories are established. 

4 hours ago, OnePotatoChip said:

With the Megalosaurus introduced, carnivorous dinosaurs only outmatch herbivores by one species in Ark. And one of those carnivores is the Oviraptor that poses no threat and eats eggs. There're far more herbivorous mammals than there are carnivores, and almost half of the Reptiles and Amphibians, while they do eat meat, won't attack you ( ie. the Beezlebufo, Quetzal, Icthy, etc). People keep forgetting those 'peaceful' meat-eaters. 

But I do think it would be nice if the developers fiddled with some of the spawn rates. I mean, first seeing a Rex in the wilds in Ark is scary. But you'll probably see five more in the next two minutes and it soon becomes 'oh another Rex'. Larger carnivores should be scaled back in terms of how easy they are to find. Make it feel rewarding when you finally stumble upon one. Maybe they'll do something of the sort when hunting territories are established. 

Well, I was operating off of the (I'd like to think fairly sound) assumption that they wouldn't be tinkering with spawn rates all that much, at which point they'd need to introduce more herbivores than carnivores to present anything other than a perpetual bloodbath around spawn zones. I would definitely be satisfied if predators in general were rarer. 

This is unrelated to the dino above (it is vary awesome can't wait to go on night raids with it).... Will there be natural disasters in ark, like floods in swamp, hurricanes, tsunamis, rock/mud slides, earthquakes, and th volcano erupting(people build massive basses up there and rule the ark because it's almost impenetrable) just would like to know, be a cool idea 

3 hours ago, Dustin1 said:

This is unrelated to the dino above (it is vary awesome can't wait to go on night raids with it).... Will there be natural disasters in ark, like floods in swamp, hurricanes, tsunamis, rock/mud slides, earthquakes, and th volcano erupting(people build massive basses up there and rule the ark because it's almost impenetrable) just would like to know, be a cool idea 

I like this idea especially. Basically you risk building up there in the volcano, only to lose it all. 

I think the predator rate is fine, It is a survival game after all. I think if the herbivore predator rate was adjusted it would be well to easy to survive. The predators keep you on your toes early game ie I only have 3 out of 8 spears left and I've gathered a bunch of meat/hide better head back to base.

the only thing id change is how much damn food it takes to raise baby dinos.

btw megalosaurus awesome addition!!

2 hours ago, FL4SH said:

I like this idea especially. Basically you risk building up there in the volcano, only to lose it all.

hurricanes, tsunamis, or landslides might be too complicated (programming-wise) to add, but they are still great ideas and I hope they do manage something like that. As for floods and volcanic eruption, seems doable and the volcano def needs to happen cuz as far as I can tell: build base on volcano = win

p.s. Sry for neglecting the new dossier and getting off-topic but don't think I'm not absolutely stoked about it!

On 13-1-2016 at 2:08 AM, I Want MY Burd said:

These dossier reveals never mean the creature is now in-game, it's basically a trailer for what the dev's have planned. When they release a creature Spotlight video, that means the creature's actual addition to the game is imminent.

Is this a new dino, or did they already make this dossier?

22 hours ago, KingScoops said:

I think the predator rate is fine, It is a survival game after all. I think if the herbivore predator rate was adjusted it would be well to easy to survive. The predators keep you on your toes early game ie I only have 3 out of 8 spears left and I've gathered a bunch of meat/hide better head back to base.

the only thing id change is how much damn food it takes to raise baby dinos.

btw megalosaurus awesome addition!!

Honestly I dislike this whole "Predators are the sole threat to your survival" thing (at least disregarding PVP content). Herbivores can and should be dangerous, even without needing to be prodded with a spear first. I have my fingers tightly crossed for an iteration of ARK where some species of herbivores present the constant-but-moderate danger of death by violent attack, and predators are sparser but are the animals that will actively stalk you. 

22 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Honestly I dislike this whole "Predators are the sole threat to your survival" thing (at least disregarding PVP content). Herbivores can and should be dangerous, even without needing to be prodded with a spear first. I have my fingers tightly crossed for an iteration of ARK where some species of herbivores present the constant-but-moderate danger of death by violent attack, and predators are sparser but are the animals that will actively stalk you. 

I think that's why they added the heard mentality on some of the herbivores, but again there aren't many herbivores that hunt other animals. So a really territorial herbivore would be the easiest way to accomplish a "non carno" threat. A carno that stalked you would be pretty cool maybe a small to medium size one that will only attack a solo player, so if your with a friend it will just follow from a distance.

5 hours ago, KingScoops said:

I think that's why they added the heard mentality on some of the herbivores, but again there aren't many herbivores that hunt other animals. So a really territorial herbivore would be the easiest way to accomplish a "non carno" threat. A carno that stalked you would be pretty cool maybe a small to medium size one that will only attack a solo player, so if your with a friend it will just follow from a distance.

Well, yeah, territorial/defensive behavior is the key reason why any herbivore that isn't abnormally aggressive would be dangerous. I'm thinking it'd be safe for something the size of a bronto to ignore you, and Ankylos might not care as much given how armored they are, but Trikes and Stegos at least should make you think twice before running up and patting them on the head. I'd also like it if herbivores like the Parasaurs that tend to just flee were a bit more skittish around you. Get too close, and they move away. Not a full-on sprint, but they keep distance. 

As for carnivores, I want them to all stalk you to some extent, but under different circumstances and in different ways. For example, smaller predators like raptors might actively hunt you while larger predators like rexes might ignore you unless you get too close, anger them, or they're starving and can't find anything else nearby. When it comes to things like Carnos, I feel like they should attack you suddenly if the opportunity presents itself as they're stalking other prey. 

20 hours ago, Nihrahk said:

I doubt it will be the size of a Giga. It will probably be about the size of a Rex, but possibly a little bit larger. It does look a bit larger than a Rex on the dossier after all.

Highly unlikely. The real life Megalosaurus was a little bit smaller than a Carnotaurus, and given how few medium-sized predators there are in the game it would be foolish to size up this to giant size.