Open Letter to Ced

Ghault

@complexminded

Ced @ComplexMinded 2h2 hours ago

Happy Monday! Work underway on a minor patch. Will have weekly BETA builds for PC in the workshop based on your bugs/feedback!

7 replies 2 retweets 12 likes

Let me say at this point in time that a "Minor Patch" is not even worth our time.  You broke so much stuff in this latest patch and your willing to start on a Minor Patch 4 days after the fact.  What you need to do was Rollback the servers to BEFORE this "Patch" was even implemented and Undo all the damage you did.  Instead you followed your same response as the Last patch that destroyed this mod.  Your going to continue to let this garbage roll.  You fixed Limestone though.  and Yes the walls are straight.  And we have saddles we didn't have and we can tame a dino that everyone else has been able to tame for what 3 months or so?  Those great accomplishments were totally junked with the rest of what you did in this patch that took you 3 1/2 months to decide to force down our throats.  I think people have had more then they can take at this point.  There is nothing you or wildcard can do to save this mod.  I for one will never get the taste of WC or You out of my mouth.

Sincerely a Dissatisfied Player.

20 minutes ago, Ghault said:

Let me say at this point in time that a "Minor Patch" is not even worth our time.  You broke so much stuff in this latest patch and your willing to start on a Minor Patch 4 days after the fact.  What you need to do was Rollback the servers to BEFORE this "Patch" was even implemented and Undo all the damage you did.  

He clearly pointed out that a rollback was needed here.  I'm not sure what happened but he did concede to your point

20 minutes ago, Ghault said:

Instead you followed your same response as the Last patch that destroyed this mod.  You're going to continue to let this garbage roll.  You fixed Limestone though.  and Yes the walls are straight.  And we have saddles we didn't have and we can tame a dino that everyone else has been able to tame for what 3 months or so?  Those great accomplishments were totally junked with the rest of what you did in this patch that took you 3 1/2 months to decide to force down our throats.  I think people have had more then they can take at this point.  There is nothing you or wildcard can do to save this mod.  I for one will never get the taste of WC or You out of my mouth.

Sincerely a Dissatisfied Player.

I completely respect where you're coming from with the rest of this post though.  Sometimes you've just had enough.  I personally am not as far along as you are, but truth is I'm a console player so I don't get the shaft like the PC folks do.

He originally rolled back because the "Next patch all old stuff will be deleted" was implemented on this Patch.  Every base was gone when the servers initialized.  He Need to RE Rollback once all this other crap was discovered within the first hour of being back online.. Instead he opted out and left us all hanging.  Now 4 days later he's gonna "Start" work on a "Minor Patch".  I"m sorry but how could he ever release the patch under his own name in the first place?  No respect for himself or his work let along for any of his player base.  And just to be clear I was a HUGE supported of his.  Until I loaded into this latest patch.

13 minutes ago, Ghault said:

He originally rolled back because the "Next patch all old stuff will be deleted" was implemented on this Patch.  Every base was gone when the servers initialized.  He Need to RE Rollback once all this other crap was discovered within the first hour of being back online.. Instead he opted out and left us all hanging.  Now 4 days later he's gonna "Start" work on a "Minor Patch".  I"m sorry but how could he ever release the patch under his own name in the first place?  No respect for himself or his work let along for any of his player base.  And just to be clear I was a HUGE supported of his.  Until I loaded into this latest patch.

So patch > rollback > patch > massive issue > no rollback?

Yep, followed by Ignore everyone.  4 days later still no response to ANY post on these forums.. Heck No response to anything in Months.  He hasn't even logged into the Official Forums since the end of November I believe it was.  God forbid this patch comes to Xbox or PS4, then again you'll be getting this shortly. Sorry

I think he just needs help. Not really sure how much help the main game devs are providing him, seems like none. During his leave there was zero progress. There had to have been SOMEONE there that could have fixed the limestone issue, which just leads me to believe that he is alone in the development. 

14 minutes ago, Dost Thou Even Joust? said:

I think he just needs help. Not really sure how much help the main game devs are providing him, seems like none. During his leave there was zero progress. There had to have been SOMEONE there that could have fixed the limestone issue, which just leads me to believe that he is alone in the development. 

It's a shame. Partly I blame releasing dlc / conversion on an unfinished game. It must be impossible to code with no support, making sure you fix old bugs, add new content and at the same time make sure it all works with the updated vanilla patches.

I love ark and the vanilla doesn't seem to be the direction I want with the game for my preference, eg tek tier and high tech / robot mechanical suits; imo that's a different game or mod as it doesn't fit with survival on a dinosaur island. Primitive should be the main game imo and more resources dedicated to that

Agreed. The direction the main game is going is awful. Primitive plus is what's keeping me interested. It's a shame they don't give it the attention it deserves. I'm sure ced is doing his best. I also can't blame him for the lack of communication. At this point it's clearly just the way WC does things and when you're an employee you do as you were trained.  

1 hour ago, Maximo101 said:

It's a shame. Partly I blame releasing dlc / conversion on an unfinished game. It must be impossible to code with no support, making sure you fix old bugs, add new content and at the same time make sure it all works with the updated vanilla patches.

I completely agree with you.  This is why I find people who bash on him, specifically with personal attacks, to be just petulant children.  They want their game fixed and they want it now.  It almost brings me to a memory of Veruca Salt saying "I want it now."  The main game has multiple programmers producing more and more and more as the game begins to evolve.  The original game has had several "release" dates and has missed them all.

1 hour ago, Maximo101 said:

I love ark and the vanilla doesn't seem to be the direction I want with the game for my preference, eg tek tier and high tech / robot mechanical suits; imo that's a different game or mod as it doesn't fit with survival on a dinosaur island. Primitive should be the main game imo and more resources dedicated to that

The original premise for the game has always had some shape of tech to it.  Everyone always talks about how the game has veered off course because it's added things that a caveman wouldn't have.  Well he wouldn't have had a gun.  He wouldn't have had a flare gun.  He wouldn't have had an implant in his arm.  If he died he surely wouldn't have arisen again later at a bed somewhere nearby.  Herbivores wouldn't eat cakes prepared by someone with meat in them.  The list goes on and on.

Having said that, I'm in complete lock step with you on the Primitive Plus modification giving me what I want from a game.  It lowers the tech reliance while still delivering me the root components of the dinosaur game that I wanted to play.  I still get to ride around on a bad ass white Rex laying waste to whatever pisses me off, minus the Titan and Giganotosaurus, because it's fun.

1 hour ago, Rickyh24 said:

I'm sure ced is doing his best. 

I agree with you here. I don't think he is bored and thought ... watch this I'm going to ruin a specific set of players games because I don't have enough to do.  

I also can't blame him for the lack of communication. 

Personally, I find it so strange when people say that they want communication from him regarding where he's at with the updates.  I'd prefer he actually code and get the patches / updates / hot fixes out in as timely a manner as possible.  It would be great if they had a person who could just stop by and say "Hey Ced, can I get a update to post?"  In fact, @GamerPerfection chastised me a bit the other day because I was a bit harsh on him about the method that communication flows.  I wasn't trying to attack him personally, but our methods of communication are poor.

But that goes into my next point ...

At this point it's clearly just the way WC does things and when you're an employee you do as you were trained.  

WildCard, the forums and the folks who run them don't do a very good job of communicating as a whole.  From the beginning WildCard has been less than upfront about a lot of things associated with the game.  Jeremy Stieglitz was indeed a part of the franchise and they were sued and lost something over it.  What?  Well that's likely not to be discussed, but it happened.  Follow that up with the repeated "Ever Changing Release Date" and the lack of update information.  If Ced is going to literally take notes from the folks he works for then he's copying the wrong person's homework.  
Overall I'm happy with the game, frustrated, but happy.  I play this game with my two sons and some friends of mine and theirs.  We've made some new friends because of the game.  I spent something like 30 bucks for about a years worth of game play.  When I buy Madden for 60 bucks I get one year and a new one comes out, forcing me to start the process all over again to get the top game mechanics available.  WildCard hasn't done that yet.  The Scorched Earth to me was a money grab so I left that one off the shopping list for now.

If Primitive Plus fails, falters or just drops I'll likely just stop playing this and move on to TitanFall 2 or something else.

@complexminded if I could program I'd throw my hat in the ring to help you, but alas that's just not something I'm capable of doing.  Having said that, if there is a SINGLE thing that I can do to help, I'm willing to give it the "Old College Try" because I like this game that much, and I like what you've added to the game as well.

26 minutes ago, TemplarOfRage said:

He does have someone, it's @r2rhgaming or something to that effect. He came on the forums with much self-aggrandizement a bit ago and proclaimed that he would be Ced's glorious mouthpiece, however, I havent seen a post from him in quite some time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

@Itsr2ghgaming is his name.  Nothing in a while from him.

Xbox is messed up as well. We are two patches into the new update that was supposed to bring us Troodons and giant squid. There have yet to be any new Dino's to actually spawn yet. On top of that, bolas have broke, our snap points are screwy, and there are players T Rex's and Gigas stuck in trees because the won't break. And that's just all that I am currently aware of....

I know this sounds weird, but what is wrong with the game now? I mean yeah, you need to replace walls and or be careful not to delete them. But new walls still snap to old ceilings and foundations. I think it's weird that people would build bases with bad snap points and not expect having to rebuild them when the fix came in. But that is hardly any basis for rollback of days.
I am a little angry that it took so long for the fix to come. But what I'm mostly angry with Ced is, if he is truly alone, why the hell he spends time on useless junk like viking boats, yurts, flamethrowers and battering rams. I get it he is and artist and whatever. But game has to be playable, you should be able to experience all the game has to offer before you want this RP stuff. This is what boggles my mind. The DLC is more broken than it was when it only was a mod and he still acts like throwing new toys will please the children.

4 minutes ago, TheSpirit said:

I know this sounds weird, but what is wrong with the game now? I mean yeah, you need to replace walls and or be careful not to delete them. But new walls still snap to old ceilings and foundations. I think it's weird that people would build bases with bad snap points and not expect having to rebuild them when the fix came in. But that is hardly any basis for rollback of days.
I am a little angry that it took so long for the fix to come. But what I'm mostly angry with Ced is, if he is truly alone, why the hell he spends time on useless junk like viking boats, yurts, flamethrowers and battering rams. I get it he is and artist and whatever. But game has to be playable, you should be able to experience all the game has to offer before you want this RP stuff. This is what boggles my mind. The DLC is more broken than it was when it only was a mod and he still acts like throwing new toys will please the children.

Here is a nice summary of some things that are currently wrong with it.

12 minutes ago, hpbaxx said:

Here is a nice summary of some things that are currently wrong with it.

Filter out bullpoop about lost dinos, xbox and PS4 problems, because they are not related to the patch and all you are left with is minor problems (Except with non-official servers, they seem to lost all structures). I guess yeah, the missing glass walls are annoying if you built them, but ceilings are left in place without wall support, so you will be able to fix them. I read all the bugs (most of them are unbelievably stupid complaints) and there is nothing that would suggest we need rollback of 4 days because of this patch. I know patch sucked like hell, but I argue that it's too much to ask for such a big rollback.

4 hours ago, TheSpirit said:

Filter out bullpoop about lost dinos, xbox and PS4 problems, because they are not related to the patch and all you are left with is minor problems (Except with non-official servers, they seem to lost all structures). I guess yeah, the missing glass walls are annoying if you built them, but ceilings are left in place without wall support, so you will be able to fix them. I read all the bugs (most of them are unbelievably stupid complaints) and there is nothing that would suggest we need rollback of 4 days because of this patch. I know patch sucked like hell, but I argue that it's too much to ask for such a big rollback.

While most of what you said here is correct and accurate, the XBox issues with the trees is 100% related to the latest ark patch.  Now that's not a @complexminded issue per se because the patch broke Primitive Plus not Primitive Plus breaking itself.  Regardless though, that's an issue.   People are getting their tames just stuck in trees while wandering the map.  Our 259 Rex was stuck in a mangrove tree in the swamp.  Took us almost 4 hours to get him out.  We had to increase his torpor to knock him out.  Then raise him.  Spin him in a circle and walk out backwards while using a Quetzal to change his location on the map. (Yes this is convoluted and stupid, but it works)

5 minutes ago, Plannb23 said:

While most of what you said here is correct and accurate, the XBox issues with the trees is 100% related to the latest ark patch.  Now that's not a @complexminded issue per se because the patch broke Primitive Plus not Primitive Plus breaking itself.  Regardless though, that's an issue.   People are getting their tames just stuck in trees while wandering the map.  Our 259 Rex was stuck in a mangrove tree in the swamp.  Took us almost 4 hours to get him out.  We had to increase his torpor to knock him out.  Then raise him.  Spin him in a circle and walk out backwards while using a Quetzal to change his location on the map. (Yes this is convoluted and stupid, but it works)

I completely agree with fixing these issues on xbox and I think it should be done very quickly. My only point is that rollback would not fix any of this as these are official patches. I'm only talking about rollback which op wants, it'll not do anything for officials, but make more problems for people who knew how to deal with problems that P+ patch handed to them and played as usual. 
To be fair I have not even a hint of idea how only P+ swamp trees are effected this way. 

7 minutes ago, TheSpirit said:

I completely agree with fixing these issues on xbox and I think it should be done very quickly. My only point is that rollback would not fix any of this as these are official patches. I'm only talking about rollback which op wants, it'll not do anything for officials, but make more problems for people who knew how to deal with problems that P+ patch handed to them and played as usual.

Gotcha.  I kind of inferred that you were saying that the patches didn't cause it, where you were actually saying the rollback wouldn't help on a massive s:Melee_Damage:cale.:Melee_Damage:

8 minutes ago, TheSpirit said:

To be fair I have not even a hint of idea how only P+ swamp trees are effected this way. 

I have NOT looked at the code.  I am NOT a coder.  That said I believe it's a rendering issue.  The trees have a box that is the size of the entire tree.  Roots.  Top of Tree.  Tree Trunk  The box is big enough that the render gets screwed up and "somehow" when you enter that box, the render is screwed up and the game doesn't know who is actually in what plane.

That's just a guess though.

Just now, Plannb23 said:

We just started a "move" on our base.  It's stone walls and cement ceilings.  When everything is balanced and in order we'll think about going with brick or lumber.

I laid out my lumber foundations. Trying to decide if I want to wait a month to go further. Can't believe how long this is taking. This mod probably shouldn't have been added. 

Just now, Rickyh24 said:

I laid out my lumber foundations. Trying to decide if I want to wait a month to go further. Can't believe how long this is taking. This mod probably shouldn't have been added. 

I we used cement foundations / ceilings for ours.  They snap properly.  I've never really built with lumber so I can't comment on what's worked with it.

19 hours ago, Ghault said:
Let me say at this point in time that a "Minor Patch" is not even worth our time.

The normal game has minor patches to fix major problems all of the time.

19 hours ago, Ghault said:
You broke so much stuff in this latest patch and your willing to start on a Minor Patch 4 days after the fact.  What you need to do was Rollback the servers to BEFORE this "Patch" was even implemented and Undo all the damage you did.  Instead you followed your same response as the Last patch that destroyed this mod.  Your going to continue to let this garbage roll.  You fixed Limestone though.  and Yes the walls are straight.  And we have saddles we didn't have and we can tame a dino that everyone else has been able to tame for what 3 months or so?  Those great accomplishments were totally junked with the rest of what you did in this patch that took you 3 1/2 months to decide to force down our throats.  I think people have had more then they can take at this point.  There is nothing you or wildcard can do to save this mod.  I for one will never get the taste of WC or You out of my mouth.

Ced was doing a lot of small bug fixes back with patch 1.1, but this sort of sentiment and frequent comment is why we have had to wait months for patches. People frequently stated that they wanted everything perfect the first time through, and Ced attempted to deliver it.

I know you are mad, but you need to calm down. Let him work and knock out the problems. What we need is for him to be able to do minor patches to knock out the issues that cropped up, and get into a regular update schedule again.

2 hours ago, Akule said:

The normal game has minor patches to fix major problems all of the time.

Ced was doing a lot of small bug fixes back with patch 1.1, but this sort of sentiment and frequent comment is why we have had to wait months for patches. People frequently stated that they wanted everything perfect the first time through, and Ced attempted to deliver it.

I know you are mad, but you need to calm down. Let him work and knock out the problems. What we need is for him to be able to do minor patches to knock out the issues that cropped up, and get into a regular update schedule again.

You misunderstand if you think I want everything perfect.  Lets face it the game gets patches almost daily when a new Content patch comes out because of all the little stuff the messed up or didn't account for.  What i am trying to stress is 3.5 months to fix a wall alignment that prevented the ENTIRE population of Prim+ to build a base.  3.5 months to fix it and now the fix is to TEAR DOWN to the foundations and rebuild everything.  3.5 months to fix the fix that fixed the limestone.. You know 7 months to remove a spoil because he had 2 or more versions of limestone programmed into the mod.  Over 3 month wait to fix beer, over 3 months to make Chalico's tamable in Prim+, a patch that broke firewood in cook pots and fireplaces, removed feathers, poultry, ribs and fat entirely from the game.  If there were weekly, heck even a monthly patch to fix something it would be different.  But no the mod is completely ignored.  I"m not saying a week later to roll us back. I"m saying it should have been done within the hour of it going live.  Have you maybe noticed servers that were back up to 40 people during prime time in anticipation of the patch are back down to 5-10 with people who are so fed up they have just left the game without an alternative game released yet.  Have you watched global chat on a server and just seen people say F*ck it.  Lets see, Tree platforms have been broken for 3.5 months, Sap taps yet the Achatina's are in the game but it's a sever bitch to feed them using a cook pot to make veggie cakes and that's only available if you fish for sap because for 3.5 months you haven't been able to place either a platform or a tap to harvest sap.  Yes each of these is an annoyance and one that we could survive with.  But th;e list goes on and on.  Lumber Glass walls, simply dismounting a dino and you wreck your walls, New ceilings are 25k health instead of 45k.. Where is the patch note mentioning this... New brick walls are now pickable.. Yes he said it was unintentional on a tweet but where is any mention of what he's gonna do about it let alone when he's gonna do it.   4 days before he even started looking into making a patch.. Then what's his tweet?  A chia pet!  You may think I"m harping on 1 man trying to do the best he can.  No I'm simply saying How can you release something like this?  Where is Q&A?  Where is anyone who plays the game on a real server that could look at this?  5 minutes building a base would show you the epic failure.  And he doesn't even log into the forums to see anytjhing wrong... I understand he had a death to attend to.  No problem deal with it then when you get back your back.  But this patch should never have seen the light of day in it's current condition.  And yes if you have a 3.x5 base it's no big deal to tear it down.  But some of us have Over 50,000+ walls we have to tear down.  Ceilings that were snapped to leaning walls have to be replaced.. You can't pick them up.  You have to spend hours or days refarming materials and remake them all. Crops plots on these ceilings can't be saved. so again farming to remake, farming for the seeds.  You can say You don't see the problem.  But your situation is not Everyone's situation.  and remember most important of all. This is NOT just a mod.  This is an Official WildCard Supported MOD.  And with that distinction it's even more important to give it some love.

This is just my opinion.  Well my stated opinion from an entire server full of pissed off people.  Some of you are fine with it.  Some are not. to each their own but  I will say that I am not happy and I have reasons for being so.

Archived