Breeding Confusion

queenj16

Good evening everyone,

I am trying my breeding skills with dinos. I have no trouble with it at all, and really enjoy it. I especially have enjoyed the new mutations and have a few different colorings already. Now that I have had my fun with breeding colors, I am interested in breeding for stats. I understand to breed a high health with a high melee, and then you can get a baby with both of the better stats. But how do you increase those stats? I have seen people with pteras that have 500% base melee on official servers. Do they just gradually increase with each generation? 

Any and all help is appreciated, thank you.

20170117103815_1.jpg

20170117103837_1.jpg

Unfortunately it's all luck. Like Banemorth mentioned, you're going to have to start taming a lot of dino's and hope for the bonus levels to go in to the stat(s) you want.

Dododex has a good stat calculator to show you how tames measure up. I'd personally suggest knocking out tames until you find something with "Above Average"+ stat(s) pre-tame, and hope the bonus levels get distributed in your favor.

This is what is confusing to me as well. 

If Mom has 100 melee, and Dad (b) has 150 melee, then Baby can only ever hatch with 150 melee. So, how do you get a baby with better than Dad's melee? Is the answer really, you just have to tame a better dino? Is the only point of breeding that you can eventually get multiple high tame stats in one dino (in addition to the imprint bonuses)?

So, for something like the Anky, you just knock out a million Ankys until you find one with a super high health roll?

I was under the impression that the baby could come out superior to the parents in the desired stat, but I guess that is not true?

2 hours ago, TimeSpiral said:

This is what is confusing to me as well. 

If Mom has 100 melee, and Dad (b) has 150 melee, then Baby can only ever hatch with 150 melee. So, how do you get a baby with better than Dad's melee? Is the answer really, you just have to tame a better dino? Is the only point of breeding that you can eventually get multiple high tame stats in one dino (in addition to the imprint bonuses)?

So, for something like the Anky, you just knock out a million Ankys until you find one with a super high health roll?

I was under the impression that the baby could come out superior to the parents in the desired stat, but I guess that is not true?

Yes ultimately you have to knock out 100's of dinos to find ones with the preferred stats.  However, yes the baby can if it gets a stat mutation in the desired stat but those are very rare.  I have hatched prob close to 300 eggs now between Rexs, Allos, and Raptors and have only had maybe four to five stat mutations??  I have had far more color ones though.  So your only surefire way of getting better stats is to keep breeding babies with other dinos with better stats.  I started my Allo's with 10 initial breeders (7 females and 3 males).  All were prefect tames at 179.  After hatching probably 75-100 eggs I was hatching lv 234 babies.  So my babies had grown 55 levels by min maxing parents who started with diff base states and getting offspring who gained the best of those stats.  

Check out the wikipedia page for breeding.

A dinosaur's level is based on its stats. A level 200 rex could be much stronger than a level 250 rex. How? Well the 250 rex could have most of its stat points in oxygen, weight, speed (which is not seen). The 200 rex could have most of its stat points in health, stamina, and melee.

When you breed two dinosaurs, there is a 70% chance that the better stat from a parent will be passed on to the offspring. So when a male rex with 1000 health and a female rex with 1500 health are bred, the baby has a 70% chance to obtain 1500 health and a 30% chance to have 1000 health. This is for each of the stats! This is why you tame multiple high-level dinosaurs (such as 135+), check out the stats, and tame it if it looks good enough (use online/app stat calculators). The stats of the dinosaur AFTER taming are what is passed on to the offspring, any levels YOU put on it do not count.

I keep all my wolf's information on an excell document so that i know who to pair up and what the stats are. It will take multiple attempts at breeding and mixing to get what you want. I got lucky with my rexs when one egg hatched twins, a male and female, with the highest stats and were identical. So now when I breed those two rexs together I will get the same exact dinosaur every time. When the egg hatches and you see that the level is higher, then that is a good indication that the baby got the better stats from the parents, but you may also get babies that are lower level than the parents simply because they got the poor stats.

Also with the breeding you have imprinting, which increases the stats even further but are not passed on to the offspring.

16 minutes ago, PaleoJoe said:

When you breed two dinosaurs, there is a 70% chance that the better stat from a parent will be passed on to the offspring. So when a male rex with 1000 health and a female rex with 1500 health are bred, the baby has a 70% chance to obtain 1500 health and a 30% chance to have 1000 health. This is for each of the stats! This is why you tame multiple high-level dinosaurs (such as 135+), check out the stats, and tame it if it looks good enough (use online/app stat calculators). The stats of the dinosaur AFTER taming are what is passed on to the offspring, any levels YOU put on it do not count.

However, good pre-tame stats =/= good post-tame stats.. They seem to be re-distributed upon taming.

Just now, hpbaxx said:

However, good pre-tame stats =/= good post-tame stats.. They seem to be re-distributed upon taming.

I have never seen any stats go down post tame.  All of the bonus taming levels *are* randomly distributed though.  So good pre-tame stats with a bad post tame distribution could be disappointing.  

It works like this.

Tame Dino A with 40 points into health. Tame dino B with 45 points into health. The highest the baby will come out is 45 into health unless mutated. You will never go higher then 45 points into health unless you tame something with 50 points. You will then breed the 50 into the baby and the level will get higher in its over all stats.

Babies are combination of the parents stats. To get the best baby you have to roll the best stats into the baby. Inbreeding is how I do it now. get two parents. produce baby, kill dad/sell/whatever. Breed offspring to better parent which it needs the stats. Once that baby gets the additional stat kill the other baby.

Once you have all the best stats into one baby. You then must go out and tame something with more points into the desired stats. For instance 55 melee will produce a higher level baby.

7 hours ago, hpbaxx said:

What I mean is that if the dinosaur had an oddly high stat in the category you desire, then it is worth taming. You will find dinosaurs that specialize in a stat or two, and find some that are well rounded. They will not re-distribute in the way you are thinking (ex. it gets 50 bonus levels, and even though it had extra high health only 2 of those bonus levels will go in health).

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/24/2017 at 11:10 AM, Banemorth said:

I have never seen any stats go down post tame.  All of the bonus taming levels *are* randomly distributed though.  So good pre-tame stats with a bad post tame distribution could be disappointing.  

I have actually seen stats go down by at least 1 point.  We knocked out a rav that had 800 weight pretame,  and after tame it had 790 weight.   I don’t know if the stats are completely redistributed or if they can get -1 and up distributed into the stats after tame.

• 5 months later...

for breeding if you had parents with 2 absolute perfect tames kicking out at +75 levels it would go something like this:

male

m150 kt (lvl 225)
health    8364.3
stam    2280
oxygen    705
food    7038
weight    1376
melee    375.2
move    136.5
torp    26714.5

female

f150 kt (lvl 225)
health    10200.3
stam    2000
oxygen    615
food    7038
weight    1312
melee    420
move    136.5
torp    26714.5

gen 1 output

baby tester (lvl 240+ with no mutations) female
health    10200.3 (F150)
stam    2280    (M150)
oxygen    705    (M150)
food    7038    (F150 & M150 as they are identical)
weight    1376    (M150)
melee    420    (F150)
move    136.5    
torp    28601.5

based on the stats, this was the best possible outcome from these parents
that i could have hoped for without any stat mutations as far as i know.

gen 1 (lvl 225 or lower with no mutations)

health    8364.3
stam    2000
oxygen    615
food    7038
weight    1312
melee    375.2
move    136.5
torp    26714.5

this would have been the worst (which still isn't too bad but would have been an
instant kill the baby moment if i was breeding as it would make that baby worthless to me).

On 12/20/2017 at 9:52 PM, 20GT said:

So let me get this straight. Imprinting points are not  hereditary so there's no real reason worry about it until you are on your keeper/last dino? 

Realize this is super old but didn't see it answered in the thread. 

This is correct. The only thing that matters in breeding is the first stats after tame (or immediately after birth, if bred). 

If you're breeding, you actually DON'T want to level up. It makes it nearly impossible to keep track of which stats a baby got or didn't get, what's a mutation, etc. Yes, there's the folder trick, etc, but it's easier to just not level anything up until you're done breeding it. 

You might be done breeding it if you decide you want to keep that one, or if it gets replaced by a better baby, etc. THEN you can level it up. I know it's hard - my OCD hates seeing that 'You have levels" message, but it's so much easier this way. 

Archived