Quetzal mining is still too OP

Smash

17 minutes ago, skeeta said:

So, what is the thinking behind the Quetz having any kind of weight reduction at all? What was the justification given when they were first introduced? Having only just found out about the mechanic I must say my first reaction was "what?, I must be understanding this wrong". How did WC explain away the lost weight? 

As someone new to the game I find the whole concept to be ridiculous to say the least. In my mind there should be a choice of ways to mine. Slow and ponderous on ground based beasties that can carry huge payloads, quickly on smaller walkers that can carry less or quicker still through the air on flyers that can carry even less. 

So you can take one trip, two trips or three trips respectively to move the same amount of stuff and if you want to take the danger reduction of flying into account too then those figures can maybe be changed to 1, 2 and 4 trips. The point is, I'd have thought there'd be a price to be paid for using any flyers as opposed to their ground based counterparts and each player should decide for themselves if it's worth paying in the circumstances at the time.

This isn't meant to offend anyone. It's just the musings of a guy who's just found out about this and thinks it's mental at first glance. O.o

It wasn't intentional.  In fact, people had been doing it for months before Wildcard even knew about it.  Then what had happened was that there was this massive power imbalance created between those who were doing it and those that weren't.  Because they had promised 'no wipez eva!', they took another 6 months to work out how to deal with it, which pretty much lead to most of the player base thinking it was a feature and addicted to mass metal mining.

An early access game with no wipes?  Classic.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, TimeSpiral said:

I guess the simplest response is: tell the mega tribes with a bead on us and our allies to bring less stuff because we're going to scale our bases down because dudes think Quetz farming is OP. I'm using "us" as an example, but anyone with big-time enemies is in the same boat. Scaling back. Lulz. Might be the dumbest thing you've ever said, with all due respect.

Well if you can't gather as many resources then either can they.............................. but regardless if you are being raided by a mega tribe and you aren't one it doesn't really matter does it?  likely they've swamped the server so you can't log on and are taking out your base from under the ground, which is all endorsed strategy it seems!

You keep talking about the vacuum, and how additional nerfs would bring along all this other cool stuff--sounds all good, in theory, but what you're talking about is Ark after a full wipe of all official servers--which isn't scheduled to happen, and they've said specifically it won't happen.

Meh, I'm still confident they will.  I'd put money on it that server transfers are just a way to do it so they don't have to go back on their word.

"Yeah, all the current servers are cancer.  Here's some new ones that will never be accessible from the old" -Wildcard at launch

All the non-cheats move to the new servers. 

All the cheats get bored because there is no-one left to troll and the move accross.

"Due to the 'we will wipe servers with no players' we are wiping all the old servers and bringing them online with the new ones." -Wildcard about 1 month after launch.

Yeah, it's retarded but guaranteed that poop is on a whiteboard at head office somewhere.

So, instead, when we have a segment of people QQ'ing constantly about "Quetz OP yo plz nerf" they end up nerfing it, and that's it. Nothing else changes. It's just a nerf. This--whether you like it or not--increases the amount of time needed to farm because I can promise you: scaling down our bases is not an option if we want to survive. In fact, growth is necessary. Lots of it. And our bases are not small. 

Once again I have to wonder why so many people play early access games and demand that the meta never change because they don't want to have to alter their play methods.

So here's what you really need to do.  You need to argue why quetzals should just be better than everything at everything.  I can't wait for that!  Because that's what you're saying:

"raptor all the other dinosaurs because....raptor'em" - Timespiral

39 minutes ago, Smash said:

Well if you can't gather as many resources then either can they.............................. but regardless if you are being raided by a mega tribe and you aren't one it doesn't really matter does it?  likely they've swamped the server so you can't log on and are taking out your base from under the ground, which is all endorsed strategy it seems!

Meh, I'm still confident they will.  I'd put money on it that server transfers are just a way to do it so they don't have to go back on their word.

"Yeah, all the current servers are cancer.  Here's some new ones that will never be accessible from the old" -Wildcard at launch

All the non-cheats move to the new servers. 

All the cheats get bored because there is no-one left to troll and the move accross.

"Due to the 'we will wipe servers with no players' we are wiping all the old servers and bringing them online with the new ones." -Wildcard about 1 month after launch.

Yeah, it's retarded but guaranteed that poop is on a whiteboard at head office somewhere.

You know that's not a winning argument, Smash, about the impending megatribe attack. I explained how it works. You have to--like, actually have to-build a lag base (hundreds of pillars, spikes, and plants) with 300+ layered turrets, layered obstacle defense, and multiple layers of metal walls (not gates). This means it doesn't matter how many people they bring in. They can't push in. They have to slow push, and this gives you a chance to have your team and allies log in. No matter what their raid base will not be as good as yours. And without giving anything away, believe me, even the megatribes are worried about attacks by other megatribes because we've seen what these attacks due to ridiculously well-defended bases.

About the wipe thing. You might be right. I think launching a game that is completely filled with ultra bases and tribes that auto-own a dozen servers is super broken and bad, but, well ... I'll leave the rest of the elaboration to the next section.  

Once again I have to wonder why so many people play early access games and demand that the meta never change because they don't want to have to alter their play methods.

So here's what you really need to do.  You need to argue why quetzals should just be better than everything at everything.  I can't wait for that!  Because that's what you're saying:

Early Access is a myth, brother. Don't tell me you actually believe this is a legitimate business practice, lol. "Here, guys. We have a game we want you to play. It's early access. You have to pay retail price for it. There is DLC you have to buy too, or, well, lol ; ) But, keep in mind, it's early access, so it's broken and bad and we're not responsible to fix any of it."

We're going to release in 2016!

Yeah, didn't work because of reasons. 2017 here we come!

Still working guys, geez this is tough. You're the best community ever! 

2018 WildCard closes doors amidst multiple lawsuits and scandals, leaves millions baffled and angry. 

2019 New studio pops up with new early access title filled with addictive gameplay mechanics, mysteriously run by the same guys from WC ... 

Come on, now. The writing is on the walls. 

Because the game is fundamentally imbalanced towards metal. It's that simple, really. Do you need a better explanation?

If they nerf the Quetzal again then they need to dramatically reduce the cost of all things that cost metal.

Plus you're just wrong:

• The Quetzal is not a better dog fighter than the Ptera or the Wyvern.
  • The Quetzal is not faster than any of the other flyers. 
  • The Quetzal doesn't actually farm anything. It's just a transport. 
  • It can't swim. 

Don't get me wrong. The Quetzal is the best dino in the game by far, but let's not be ridiculous. The Anky's weight is a joke. Brontos are good for one thing, and one thing only, and it's not berries (that's the bear's job) and it's not hauling (that's the Quetzal's job). It's eating bullets without the rider being sniped. Done. That's it. That's the Bronto's role. Most servers with high-level alpha alliances do not have to worry about fighting while farming. It's just a necessary chore. You farm, and you raid, or you defend raids. That's the end game. 

Archived