Best way to defend your base from rock elemantals

KairoVanquish

52 minutes ago, eESTlane said:

metal > stone outer layer and adobe living quarters. adobe = wood and only takes 1-2 rock throws

This.  Also I read (aka unknown for sure) that your walls need to be at least 4 high to prevent the golems from throwing rocks over.

I found making a perimeter of metal dino gates seem to do the trick.

19 hours ago, nacirem said:

technically it is still PVE since the golem is wild and not player controlled. 

No, it is clearly PvP behavior.  It's easy to defend your base against wild golems, what is more difficult is protecting your base against the actions of another player.  It doesn't matter if that player is using a rocket launcher to destroy your base or is exploiting a mechanic of the environment to destroy it, they're both caused by the actions of another player.

Until wild golems start taming paracers and quetzals and build platform ramps to climb over metal walls, this griefing isn't part of normal PvE gameplay.

I have my doubts that it can be completely eliminated, but the simple act of making thrown boulders only damage the player/tribe the golem is currently aggroed on would fix most of it.

Metal gate walls and gigas.  Best defense.  

I've personally seen people leads eles up and over paracer ramps to bypass behemoth gates.  Turrets are expensive. Most people can only really kite one ele at a time so a few gigas is worth it.  Placed at different points.  So they don't. Bunch up and in the same spot.  But if you get kited by an organized group then youre screwed anyways.  Lure in flocks of wyverns to kill the gigs and bring multiple eles over your wall

Metal gate walls and gigas.  Best defense.  

I've personally seen people leads eles up and over paracer ramps to bypass behemoth gates.  Turrets are expensive. Most people can only really kite one ele at a time so a few gigas is worth it.  Placed at different points.  So they don't. Bunch up and in the same spot.  But if you get kited by an organized group then youre screwed anyways.  Lure in flocks of wyverns to kill the gigs and bring multiple eles over your wall.

On 1/25/2017 at 9:27 AM, eswimm said:

No, it is clearly PvP behavior.  It's easy to defend your base against wild golems, what is more difficult is protecting your base against the actions of another player.  It doesn't matter if that player is using a rocket launcher to destroy your base or is exploiting a mechanic of the environment to destroy it, they're both caused by the actions of another player.

Right on point here! Very well stated. 

On 1/24/2017 at 2:52 PM, nacirem said:

technically it is still PVE since the golem is wild and not player controlled. 

If the golem did not attack that particular area on its own (which it won't without being prevoked) then it is not PVE.  There's a big difference between a camp site having a warning sign that says "watch out for bears" and someone putting a trail of fish leading to your tent. Stop defending the trolls.

its unfortunately that we basically have to build all in metal to ensure griefers don't have the last laff.

I love how adobe looks but I wont risk losing my base and dinos because of it

Wildcard seem to be sending out mixed messages :

they removed kapro`s ability to grab in pve since they could be used to kite dinos into peeps bases. everything it can carry can be killed by primitive weapons

yet golems that can only be killed by rockets and cannonballs, those are ok to kite.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:27 AM, eswimm said:

Until wild golems start taming paracers and quetzals and build platform ramps to climb over metal walls, this griefing isn't part of normal PvE gameplay.

I have my doubts that it can be completely eliminated, but the simple act of making thrown boulders only damage the player/tribe the golem is currently aggroed on would fix most of it.

Whatever the case maybe any dino can destroy walls up to metal which they cannot quit being cheap with your wood walls and expecting the devs to jump to your every whim, I used to get gigas kited to my base daily its all made of metal now and no more giga problems on The center. Same goes for Elementals upgrade your base and quit being lazy

2 minutes ago, Frozenhole said:

Whatever the case maybe any dino can destroy walls up to metal which they cannot quit being cheap with your wood walls and expecting the devs to jump to your every whim, I used to get gigas kited to my base daily its all made of metal now and no more giga problems on The center. Same goes for Elementals upgrade your base and quit being lazy

Perhaps you're confused, but my base is a veritable fortress.  I'm not remotely concerned about wild elemental attacks, be they truly wild or the result of player action.  I had the resources to gather all the materials required, but that isn't the issue here.  Expecting a PvE server to be free of PvP style exploits isn't unreasonable and it isn't a whim.  I can't pick up a wild dino on PvE because I might drop it inside the base of somebody who couldn't be bothered to add a roof, but we're all supposed to build out of metal because some people get their jollies running golems through people's bases?

We all understand that the only solution that we have in game is to build from metal at the moment, but I can't understand what logic drives you to the idea that in an early access game, we shouldn't encourage the developers to fix a mechanics exploit.

• 2 months later...

This happened to me the other day, lost everything I had as I was offline.  I can see why people have an issue with it.

Building out of metal is brilliant but if your unfortunate and lose alot, its a right struggle to start again, even if you have a decent starting base the cost of the mats for metal is huge.

Its a good thing I am addicted to Ark and that I wont let griefers win, but it does suck the fun from the game a little bit more.

10 hours ago, Beatties said:

This happened to me the other day, lost everything I had as I was offline.  I can see why people have an issue with it.

Building out of metal is brilliant but if your unfortunate and lose alot, its a right struggle to start again, even if you have a decent starting base the cost of the mats for metal is huge.

Its a good thing I am addicted to Ark and that I wont let griefers win, but it does suck the fun from the game a little bit more.

stone is easier when starting off, with a decent amount of resistance to golem attacks. it's a farming byproduct anyways so might as well use it for defensive purposes, like a fence, or two, to make you feel more at ease. but yeah, get into metal as soon as you can, even on pve. you'll sleep better :P 

For those who cant afford to make a full base out of metal, surround your base in metal pillars providing a buffer zone, they are cheaper per area than dino gates, and put a 1 high layer around your main base so if the rocks slide against your base they wont damage it, its your best way of protecting yourself at the cheapest form

Archived