Why you should ignore pre-tame stats

FeelingLotus

On 1/20/2017 at 11:03 AM, PlatinumCore16 said:

That's a crock of horse poop.  Unless you were just generalizing, in which case, carry on.

Nope im serious my 145 troodon has a food stat of 370...which is its starting food at level 1...but has a weight of 250ish

Soryy for late response was having trouble with the forums

1 hour ago, PsychicShark101 said:

Nope im serious my 145 troodon has a food stat of 370...which is its starting food at level 1...but has a weight of 250ish

Soryy for late response was having trouble with the forums

Dododex is telling me starting food for a troodon is 100, not 370...

Well I can't really argue as I've never tamed one myself and without pictures of yours, but to get 250 weight, that's 53 points.  Which is a really low probability.  But congrats.

As for trouble with the forums, I see you're still in the early birds.  That might have had a little to do with it.  It's a little frustrating for the first couple of days/week as you can't post too quickly, but if you keep at it, you'll be out soon.

On January 20, 2017 at 7:03 AM, Vilicus said:

Except stats aren't determined until after a dino is tamed.  Thats the point he's making, skipping out on a dino before its been tamed just cause the stats are bad means your possibly skipping out on good stats.  And at the same time, good stats on one you are taming, may not be the best stats after its done.  Tame everything, wait for its final stats.... best practice.

It's only the bonus stats that are added on.  If you're looking for something specific, it gets important to have certain pre-tame stats.  I was looking for a 120 female wolf for breeding, and I wanted it to have high melee.  Sitting there taming animals that have low melee is just not worth it, as you can calculate how many points it would take to be where you want.  If it's a high # to reach your goal, it's likely a complete waste of time.  Especially for breeders, levelups are worthless once the animal is tamed.  

So, technically, Yes, you CAN start out with a crap animal and then get lucky, but after all the hours and amount of tames I've done, I'd rather just be picky now and not waste so much time taming animals that I don't want.  Odds are, you are NOT going to get 50 bonus levels in melee.

I would say that choosing to tame animals with promising pre-tame stats is trying to improve the odds of getting good post-tame stats. We have no influence on how the points are distributed, but we CAN at least choose the base numbers that those points will be distributed on and then it's hoping for a lucky roll.

Naw, don't ignore pre tame stats because they will tell you the overall end product of your tame.

For instance, 160 melee will only tame out to around 250/260.

But if you ko something with 190 its worth taming.. It should come out around 300 melee give or take. Usually gets about 100 into melee.

Not to metioon, I kod a mosa. Has 11k 160 when I kod it. I kod another mosa and know it would be better because it had 16k base and 195 melee.

It is all a numbers game, and as for what level should be tamed or what stat distribution it is about availability of kibble.

There is a chance that a dino with low points into something gets a GREAT after tame roll, as well as chances for 120's to get fine rolls in a certain stat or for 150's to be perfectl average and poop across the board. 

But if you have no kibble you should be looking at the pre-tame stats and picking ones that give you the best chance, they all have a chance to be good, but pick out the ones with the best chance to spend your kibble.

If kibble is plenty K0 everything 120+ and tame it and take many chances at a low probability. 

On 20/01/2017 at 11:55 AM, Blueman803 said:

You're pretty much dead wrong on this. If I'm looking for high stats, it doesn't make any sense to start with a low stat dino, its wasted kibble. You have 149 points to be randomly distributed when you knock it out, hoping for half the levels after taming to come out better isn't a higher probability. Why would you waste kibble on something with a lower probability of having the stat you want? I'm looking for a high melee (>400) Rex, I'm not going to get that stat with one that starts out at 180. 

He's only wrong to an extent, I mean I was looking for some high lvl hp pteras. I'd ko them and check their pre tame stats. Anything with 1000< hp is never going to be what I need. I tamed tonnes with 1500 pre tame which all ended up 2000<. I finally got one with 2200 hp from a pre tame 1200 hp.

On 1/20/2017 at 5:58 AM, FeelingLotus said:

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I didn't tame it, because its stats were garbage", Id be retired. Well how did you know its stats were garbage if you didn't tame it?

Post tame stats are RANDOMLY distributed points. So unless you tame the creature, you will not know 100% what its stats will end up as.

I got excited a while back when I knocked out a dino for a breeding line and its pre tame health was amazing. When the dino woke up its post tame health had received the lowest point distribution. I've got several dino's that ended up with amazing stats when pre tame stats were average at best. I have plenty of pre and post tame screenshots if anyone wants more proof.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss out on a potentially amazing dino. Just tame it. 

Happy Hunting!

If you/you're tribe doesn't already have numerous of 'X' Dino, then yeah, tame it. Absolutely.

However, pre-tamed stats absolutely matter. Especially in PvP. I currently am one of the Leaders of one of the largest tribes in the entire game for Xbox, and I can promise you that it definitely does matter - especially in breeding cases.

Now, I will start with what you say is very true. That's a very good point of view and reason to refute post-tame stats. To argue it, though, it can greatly change the effectiveness for breeding or war purposes for 'X' Dino, but it's not always true as you mentioned. Just for an example, a couple weeks ago I started breeding war Tapejaras, I was specifically looking for Wilds with high Stamina/Melee Damage stats - since Tapes generally have pretty good base health for a flier no matter what, but their Stamina is bad/uses up fast.

The first female 150 Tapejara I tamed had 38 wild points spent in Stamina, which is far above average - and had 32 in melee damage which is slightly above average, and had only wasted 12 of it's points in Movement Speed. When it came out of taming, it ended up with a whopping 3.8k Stamina and 383% base melee, on top of having 2.5k base health.

I attached a screenshot I took when I tamed this one a couple weeks back showing the stat allocation it had.

Capture.PNG

On 1/26/2017 at 10:16 AM, PlatinumCore16 said:

Dododex is telling me starting food for a troodon is 100, not 370...

Well I can't really argue as I've never tamed one myself and without pictures of yours, but to get 250 weight, that's 53 points.  Which is a really low probability.  But congrats.

As for trouble with the forums, I see you're still in the early birds.  That might have had a little to do with it.  It's a little frustrating for the first couple of days/week as you can't post too quickly, but if you keep at it, you'll be out soon.

Well i use the SA Companion ap and here is what it shows

Here is and inventory screenshot  http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/PsychicShark101/screenshot/5648082

I cant tell you the health or melee roll because those are the stats i lve been boosting but i think it had between 1k and 1300hp

Screenshot_20170130-114025.png

Archived