Why you should ignore pre-tame stats

FeelingLotus

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I didn't tame it, because its stats were garbage", Id be retired. Well how did you know its stats were garbage if you didn't tame it?

Post tame stats are RANDOMLY distributed points. So unless you tame the creature, you will not know 100% what its stats will end up as.

I got excited a while back when I knocked out a dino for a breeding line and its pre tame health was amazing. When the dino woke up its post tame health had received the lowest point distribution. I've got several dino's that ended up with amazing stats when pre tame stats were average at best. I have plenty of pre and post tame screenshots if anyone wants more proof.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss out on a potentially amazing dino. Just tame it. 

Happy Hunting!

That´s an interesting point of view. I´m with you for all dinos except the nerfed ones like a giga f.ex.

If you have a high health giga, looking for one with high melee and you find a wild giga lvl 120ish with 80% melee, would you still tame it for the purpose of breeding? Even if it gets all points put in melee it still would have just above 100 post tame.

Thanks for your advice above.

You're pretty much dead wrong on this. If I'm looking for high stats, it doesn't make any sense to start with a low stat dino, its wasted kibble. You have 149 points to be randomly distributed when you knock it out, hoping for half the levels after taming to come out better isn't a higher probability. Why would you waste kibble on something with a lower probability of having the stat you want? I'm looking for a high melee (>400) Rex, I'm not going to get that stat with one that starts out at 180. 

5 minutes ago, Blueman803 said:

You're pretty much dead wrong on this. If I'm looking for high stats, it doesn't make any sense to start with a low stat dino, its wasted kibble. You have 149 points to be randomly distributed when you knock it out, hoping for half the levels after taming to come out better isn't a higher probability. Why would you waste kibble on something with a lower probability of having the stat you want? I'm looking for a high melee (>400) Rex, I'm not going to get that stat with one that starts out at 180. 

Except stats aren't determined until after a dino is tamed.  Thats the point he's making, skipping out on a dino before its been tamed just cause the stats are bad means your possibly skipping out on good stats.  And at the same time, good stats on one you are taming, may not be the best stats after its done.  Tame everything, wait for its final stats.... best practice.

3 hours ago, FeelingLotus said:

If I had a dollar for every time I heard "I didn't tame it, because its stats were garbage", Id be retired. Well how did you know its stats were garbage if you didn't tame it?

Post tame stats are RANDOMLY distributed points. So unless you tame the creature, you will not know 100% what its stats will end up as.

I got excited a while back when I knocked out a dino for a breeding line and its pre tame health was amazing. When the dino woke up its post tame health had received the lowest point distribution. I've got several dino's that ended up with amazing stats when pre tame stats were average at best. I have plenty of pre and post tame screenshots if anyone wants more proof.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss out on a potentially amazing dino. Just tame it. 

Happy Hunting!

Though I agree with you for the most part, for most tames I'm with you, but when gathering precious dinos for being lines I've got to say only tame ones whom are with it. KO two rexes, one has 8k HP one has 7k. The POTENTIAL for a better health stat rex will always be Rex #1 with 8k HP. The second rex could even get a couple extra bonus levels into health which rex#1 Did not and it would still never be par with the other because the levels you gain during taming will give the rex better stat gains in HP. So if you're looking for a high HP line then you need a high HP base stat tame or you're going to KO and tame so many unnecessary dinos.

When breeding I am anal and always going for highest stat gain, best possible baby. Best POTENTIAL/POSSIBILITY of high stat tames come from high stat dinos.

I've KO'd plenty that don't follow through once taming so I get your logic, but the POTENTIAL for a better tame always resides in the high stat wild dinos.

I get OP's point, and it makes sense, it's just not the logical approach. 

You want to start off with a good foundation. I'm breeding direbears currently and I've knocked out so many 150's with average stats. I just kill them and continue searching. I refuse to waste kibble on a completely average creature and hope that I end up with stats that I need. I'd rather keep searching for something that starts good, and has the potential to get better.

Think of it as a race: If someone challenges you to a race and offers you a head-start, would you feel more confident that your lead would be greater with the advantage or would you rather forego a head-start and hope for the best? I'd rather take the head-start; even if I didn't win that race, the odd's were in my favor.

If you are trying to get the highest stats's possible for breeding, OP is incorrect and Blueman803 is spot on.  All the lucky rolls in the world won't get you a max range stat breeding dino if the stat was in the toilet from the KO.  Ya just can't polish a turd.

If just getting a decent dino is your goal then OP is 100% spot on.  A mediocre KO stat can be blown through the roof with a lucky roll after TE finishes for a "common" dino . 

You get 149 points of randomly dispersed stats before tame. You get like 70 stats after tame... lets use 75 (half) to make it easy.

If your pre-tame stats do not come out right, you have half the opportunity for a 'lucky' stat spread- and you already are guaranteed the first 149 stats are spent in an unfavorable way.

Can you get a dino that puts half his tamed stats into 1 stat? Unlikely. If it happens, good, but if you trying to get a single stat, good luck.

• Pre Tame: Average stats = 21 points. Good stats = 30+ points
  • Post Tame: Average stat = 11 points. Good stats = 15+ points

If you start with 16 points in a stats... you are not going to be hitting the 45+ range which is desirable. Now if you get a good stat pre tame, lets say 30... and you get a slightly above average stats post tame... you are in the money. Sometimes you can get a good pre-tame stat and a good post tame stat... and you have a set breeder.

Seems simple to me. If you want pleb dinos tame them all. If you are looking for any of the 7 stats... tame them all... if you want to be a supreme breeder, don't waste your time on pleb dinos.

1 minute ago, Jamagh said:

Nothing liek saying hey, this has some great stats, and then after taming you see all the bonus levels go into food... or oxygen. Because a ptera needs oxygen. Tamed an ankylo once and it ended up with over 21,000 food.

Do you think it is less likely that bad stat dinos put their points into food and ox?

Nope. So start with the advantage.

5 hours ago, Vilicus said:

Except stats aren't determined until after a dino is tamed.  Thats the point he's making, skipping out on a dino before its been tamed just cause the stats are bad means your possibly skipping out on good stats.  And at the same time, good stats on one you are taming, may not be the best stats after its done.  Tame everything, wait for its final stats.... best practice.

A rex you KO with 180 melee and a rex you KO with 260 melee. Let's say they both somehow get 40 additional points to melee after taming. The latter well always be stronger. Give 45 points to the 180 melee in stress of 40... It's still weaker. 

You say it's the best practice. Sure but it's only practice. It's not practical to waste time and resources on bunk tames when looking for specific stats.

2 minutes ago, perk8504 said:

trying to decide if the op is claiming that the pre-tamed stats get rerolled upon taming...

No, OP is stating that just because you knock out an "average" tame with mediocre point distribution, you shouldn't pass over it because it still has up to 70 levels to gain from taming.  However, as many people have pointed out, if they stacked one stat, even if it gets minimal levels from the tame, it would still be higher than a mediocre stat with good levels from the tame.  That make sense or should I give an example?  I don't want to waste your time if you are already picking up what I'm puttin down.

3 minutes ago, PlatinumCore16 said:

No, OP is stating that just because you knock out an "average" tame with mediocre point distribution, you shouldn't pass over it because it still has up to 70 levels to gain from taming.  However, as many people have pointed out, if they stacked one stat, even if it gets minimal levels from the tame, it would still be higher than a mediocre stat with good levels from the tame.  That make sense or should I give an example?  I don't want to waste your time if you are already picking up what I'm puttin down.

I understand that, and what the others are saying

there was just some phrasing in there that I wasn't 100% if that's what the op meant

Alright, it's time for this no-lifer to crunch the numbers MATHEMATICALLY!

Let's use a 150 Bronto with base stats as an example. It gains 460 HP, per point it gets. 

This would make the minimum 2300 (if you get a 150 Bronto with this much HP...you have my sympathies), and the maximum 70840. Obviously you want as close to the maximum as possible, as it gets 149 randomly distributed points to work with. I'm not including the Taming Bonus for HP because every dino gets that after taming.

If you Perfect Tame it with Kibble, it gets an additional 74 Levels, which equates to 74 more chances to max out that HP. If you are one lucky son of a person, and get at least 74 of those points towards HP, you will have a bonus 36,500 HP on that Bronto. 

A perfect tamed 150 Bronto will have 223 Points that would help it get SWOLLER, and since 37 is the average points it gets into HP (due to distribution averages) an Average Bronto will come out to 22,000 HP. 

Think of levels as a two-stage process, the base post-tame stats and the bonus levels you stack on it. I have only done this once, with a Carno who got 71 out of its 71 points dumped into melee after its post-tame stats came out to be bleh. As long as it beats the average 37, it is considered a good tame. Only a few in this entire game have ever managed to get a full 60+ of their post-tame levels dumped into the stat that they wanted,

Moral of the story is, if you're 2/3rds off from the perfect total, tame the creature anyway, because those unaccounted bonus levels could help you get the rest of the points. However, if you are going for a pure Olympic dino, you'd be better off buying a previously extant olympic dino from the Trade forum, as Brontos with Pure PT HP and Rexes with Pure PT Melee are almost impossible to find.

Gigas and Quetzals are far more nightmarish to find perfect stats for, because their breeding cycles make breeding for stats more difficult.

13 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

Moral of the story is, if you're 2/3rds off from the perfect total, tame the creature anyway, because those unaccounted bonus levels could help you get the rest of the points. However, if you are going for a pure Olympic dino, you'd be better off buying a previously extant olympic dino from the Trade forum, as Brontos with Pure PT HP and Rexes with Pure PT Melee are almost impossible to find.

I'm not sure what you mean by "2/3rds off?"

35 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

I have only done this once, with a Carno who got 71 out of its 71 points dumped into melee after its post-tame stats came out to be bleh. As long as it beats the average 37, it is considered a good tame. Only a few in this entire game have ever managed to get a full 60+ of their post-tame levels dumped into the stat that they wanted,

No you didn't get 71 points in melee.  You used a stat calculator built for WILD only creatures and put in details for a TAMED creature so you got horribly wrong and misleading results.  No doubt your tame got a lot of melee levels, but no where close to 71.

Probability of you getting 71 of 71?  9.95x10-61  Not happening in this lifetime, for anyone, ever.

Just now, LilNastyGurl said:

If you are 2/3rds off from having the highest stat you need. For example, you have 100 points in HP instead of 149, the bonus stats could still assist you in maxing that out.

Ah okay.  But you do realize the statistical impossibility of even getting half right?  Also from what I have read after research is that WildCard possibly has a soft cap in place for any single stat, but we really don't know.  Anything over 30 points in a single stat pre-tame, is a good starting point.  Anything over 40 is exceptional.

The thing with health and melee is that they get their own taming multipliers on top of the levels.

I generally agree that after you've got a mid-range breeding dino it's better to be more picky about which dinos you tame.  If you're trying to find a breeder for a very rare dino and you have a surplus of kibble I'll still tame it sometimes even if it doesn't have ideal stats just to roll the dice.  Very easy tames are another example - if it's just a "drop in the taming box" type of creature then it can be worthwhile to tame lots and hope for some lucky stat rolls.  Just be realistic - if you need more than 20 taming bonus points on your preferred stat to even equal your current breeders then just move on.

Archived