Any better way to create maps?

Since last update, PGM creation has been sped up a fair amount, now taking a couple minutes to load up on Xbox. But I feel there needs to be a better way. Would it be possible to make the map creation entirely separate?

By this, I mean instead of fiddling with the settings, then waiting for the game to load into playable mode for every minor tweak, could there be a fully featured map creation mode in which you can see how setting changes affect the map as you change them?

Basically, here's how I think it should work:

From the main menu, you load PGM creation mode.

The game loads the landscape based on what seed you pick.

The textures are extremely simplified, and possibly the geometry of the landscape, allowing the game to load up much faster.

Dinos are not spawned in.

Your character's inventory/ engrams are not loaded, as they are not necessary for this mode.

In the pause menu are all the settings for manipulating the map.

Ideally, once you apply a new value, it would take only a few seconds to see what changes are made.

Once you are satisfied with the way the map is laid out, you would save it and exit, and then play on it you would when selecting any other map.

Maybe it work better as a companion app. Created maps could be exported to the main game.

Basically, I think that the map creation process needs to be more simple and fluid, instead of loading up every single bit of data from the actual gameplay.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:34 PM, drakorex said:

Since last update, PGM creation has been sped up a fair amount, now taking a couple minutes to load up on Xbox. But I feel there needs to be a better way. Would it be possible to make the map creation entirely separate?

By this, I mean instead of fiddling with the settings, then waiting for the game to load into playable mode for every minor tweak, could there be a fully featured map creation mode in which you can see how setting changes affect the map as you change them?

Basically, here's how I think it should work:

From the main menu, you load PGM creation mode.

The game loads the landscape based on what seed you pick.

The textures are extremely simplified, and possibly the geometry of the landscape, allowing the game to load up much faster.

Dinos are not spawned in.

Your character's inventory/ engrams are not loaded, as they are not necessary for this mode.

In the pause menu are all the settings for manipulating the map.

Ideally, once you apply a new value, it would take only a few seconds to see what changes are made.

Once you are satisfied with the way the map is laid out, you would save it and exit, and then play on it you would when selecting any other map.

Maybe it work better as a companion app. Created maps could be exported to the main game.

Basically, I think that the map creation process needs to be more simple and fluid, instead of loading up every single bit of data from the actual gameplay.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

You can do this to a degree using the dev kit.... but its broken since wildcard's updates.

125412144444.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Topherallen07 said:

Do they have player generated maps on ps4? If not will it be added?

Yes we do the the ability to create PGMs,

I agree with the comment that PGMS will offer a long future for ARK , But the current system does need work, it currently take me about 5 plus minutes of waiting once I plug in the numbers for the map to load and for me to see what kind of map I have, and this can be frustrating because after 1 change I have to reboot my PS4 or I will crash the system at least 80% of the time

Being able to create in steps would be great

1. Terrain =let me get the layout of the land/water
  2. Biome areas now let me define what areas are where
  3. trees, grass, rocks foliage, resources
  4. Dino spawns
  5. then do a final render of the PGM you just created and it becomes a complete map

I know more steps could be taken but if it was broken down into steps or being able to exclude things until you have one part finished it should I would thing speed up the process

I also know this would be harder or more limited on consoles vs the PC but it should be do-able to some point

Here is one I would like to see added for a bit of fun running around goofing with friends, The Birthday Suit costume. Hope they add it I saw it in the Lance, Oviraptors Aries patch trailer but do not know if it is already there or if it is coming or is not. You guys and gals are great thanks for answering my question.

Archived