Therizinosaurus is too common and too feisty

ThesaurusRex

Seriously. For a dino advertised in its dossier as 'solitary', it's surprisingly comfortable in groups of 3-5...all of which are more than happy to back their buddies up contrary to its description.

Not only that, but there's always another group of 3-5 just a couple tens of meters away. The population density of zinos on the map is probably more than the Dodo. What's up with that?

Despite probably the same basic temperament AI as gorillas, chalicotheres and bears, they seem to be more aggressive than all 3; probably because of how common they are making encounters. I'd be pretty okay with their deadly personality if it weren't for the fact that tame dinos minding their own business got caught up in their rage. The theriz just needs to bump into one to rip it to shreds, and you never saw it coming. It's usually when you're out on a resource/crafting run that this happens.

It would be better if the Therizinosaurus was slightly less common, making it more of a mystical forest giant you don't want to come across unprepared. The rarer it is, though, the more fun it is to encounter.

Alternatively it could just not aggro on tamed dinos. I'd prefer the former, though.

Honestly, I don't understand its personality in this game. I've always imagined the real-world Therizinosaurus as kind of a gentle giant dinosaurian ground sloth, dragging its bristly, bushy tail across the ground and using its claws to pull trees down or rip bark apart. Its implementation as a seriously moody hellbeasts though does seem to have its fun parts. Just...in moderation. I don't see why these need to be the most common beasts in ARK.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ThesaurusRex said:

Seriously. For a dino advertised in its dossier as 'solitary', it's surprisingly comfortable in groups of 3-5...all of which are more than happy to back their buddies up contrary to its description.

Not only that, but there's always another group of 3-5 just a couple tens of meters away. The population density of zinos on the map is probably more than the Dodo. What's up with that?

Despite probably the same basic temperament AI as gorillas, chalicotheres and bears, they seem to be more aggressive than all 3; probably because of how common they are making encounters. I'd be pretty okay with their deadly personality if it weren't for the fact that tame dinos minding their own business got caught up in their rage. The theriz just needs to bump into one to rip it to shreds, and you never saw it coming. It's usually when you're out on a resource/crafting run that this happens.

It would be better if the Therizinosaurus was slightly less common, making it more of a mystical forest giant you don't want to come across unprepared. The rarer it is, though, the more fun it is to encounter.

Alternatively it could just not aggro on tamed dinos. I'd prefer the latter, though.

Honestly, I don't understand its personality in this game. I've always imagined the real-world Therizinosaurus as kind of a gentle giant dinosaurian ground sloth, dragging its bristly, bushy tail across the ground and using its claws to pull trees down or rip bark apart. Its implementation as a seriously moody hellbeasts though does seem to have its fun parts. Just...in moderation. I don't see why these need to be the most common beasts in ARK.

Very thought out and worded nicely! I havent had time to check it yet but will soon 

I meet 3 of them near to red obelisk in same time (not in group, but quite close) they appeared more frequently than trikes (very common in this area). And once I gathered resources and have Rex followed by me on neutral, it stays while I gathering and the Therizinosaurus level 10 (I checked with magnifying glass and thinking is it worth to tame it) walk right to Rex and start bite him. Finally Rex eat the Therizinosaurus and literally I couldn't react, everything happens fast. But Therizinosaurus abnormally aggresive and a lot of them on Sourth that supposed be safe place (the carno is rare visitor there, but not so deadly).

I agree with the agression-issue. I set up a new base on the most southern mountain because of the metal nodes and it seems, that there are more and more Therizinos spawning - no matter how many I kill. I have to upgrade my fence around the base to metal soon, because they destroy even stone and aggro every once in a while on one of my creatures. Good part about my base location: I find so many that I tamed and bred enough to have level 272 offsprings right now. Even with the primitive saddle I took out a lvl 70 Alpha Rex and a lvl 140 Alpha Carno without any health issues (put 5 veggie cakes on the Therizino, but it only needed 2).

14 minutes ago, DomiDarko said:

I agree with the agression-issue. I set up a new base on the most southern mountain because of the metal nodes and it seems, that there are more and more Therizinos spawning - no matter how many I kill. I have to upgrade my fence around the base to metal soon, because they destroy even stone and aggro every once in a while on one of my creatures. Good part about my base location: I find so many that I tamed and bred enough to have level 272 offsprings right now. Even with the primitive saddle I took out a lvl 70 Alpha Rex and a lvl 140 Alpha Carno without any health issues (put 5 veggie cakes on the Therizino, but it only needed 2).

I'm looking for them, currently on the Center and they are very rare. But I have another base on the Island. Could you give me the coordinates of your base please? I would really like to finde some for breeding purposes

8 minutes ago, Waffeleisen said:

I'm looking for them, currently on the Center and they are very rare. But I have another base on the Island. Could you give me the coordinates of your base please? I would really like to finde some for breeding purposes

I see plenty on the center in the eastern half of South jungle.

I think it would be neat to change their aggression so that they only preemptively attack creatures that they may perceive as threats (Rex, Spino, etc). Smaller creatures and herbivores get left alone as long as they don't physically bump into the Theri, or just left alone altogether unless they damage the Theri

15 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

I think it would be neat to change their aggression so that they only preemptively attack creatures that they may perceive as threats (Rex, Spino, etc). Smaller creatures and herbivores get left alone as long as they don't physically bump into the Theri, or just left alone altogether unless they damage the Theri

This. 

7 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

Are you saying you can tame the Therizino with the veggie cake? I don't see any information on this in the wiki or any taming calculators. I'd sure like one of these, but the amount of time it takes to tame is discouraging me. Also the kibble I think is very hard to come by.

I suspect you are talking about healing them after they kill something. But how do you find the time to tame these things? A level 150 takes around 10 hours and like 3000 narcotics.

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

Are you saying you can tame the Therizino with the veggie cake? I don't see any information on this in the wiki or any taming calculators. I'd sure like one of these, but the amount of time it takes to tame is discouraging me. Also the kibble I think is very hard to come by.

I suspect you are talking about healing them after they kill something. But how do you find the time to tame these things? A level 150 takes around 10 hours and like 3000 narcotics.

No he healed it with veggie cake after using it to beat up some predators.

1 minute ago, ilShadow said:

No he healed it with veggie cake after using it to beat up some predators.

Ah, thanks. No I just got to get one :D

I have a base near the red oby on the Island. The other day there was a therizino right outside the gate. 

The thing that worries me the most about taming one of these, is the fast torpor drop that they have. I can just see being 6 hours into a tame and miss feeding it more narcotics or narco berries and then have it wake up on you and have to start all over again. Wish is was like the giga with such high torpor, you can just feed it a bunch of narcotics and then walk away from it. I guess this is meant to be kind of like taming a beaver.

16 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Wish is was like the giga with such high torpar, you can just feed it a bunch of narcotics and then walk away from it. I guess this is meant to be kind of like taming a beaver.

Yea i agree, and i wish taming the diplo was easier. I mean why can't it be like the onyc where it just stands there and lets you feed it?

/Sarcasm

Have you ever actually tamed a giga? It loses its torpar in 2 minutes even alt tabbing real quick is a sure way to waste 100s of tranq darts and an hour of chasing the raptorer around let alone walk away(LoL)

1 hour ago, GLADONOS said:

Have you ever actually tamed a giga? It loses its torpar in 2 minutes even alt tabbing real quick is a sure way to waste 100s of tranq darts and an hour of chasing the raptorer around let alone walk away(LoL)

What he's saying is that once you let the torpor of the giga drop low you can give it all the narcs it needs to tame in one go. The fast rate that it drops means it takes ages to consume the hundreds/thousands of narcs you spam into it. Giga is by far one of the easiest tames after it has been knocked out. 

1 hour ago, GLADONOS said:

Yea i agree, and i wish taming the diplo was easier. I mean why can't it be like the onyc where it just stands there and lets you feed it?

/Sarcasm

Well, no, never tamed a giga, been killed by them plenty of times though :D

I've watched videos though. If you are doing it right, you wait for the torpor to get to almost 0, then you start remote feeding either narcotics or narco berries. You do this until you have feed enough for it to reach maximum torpor. This takes so long then by the time it does, it is done taming (assuming you use kibble). So that is what I was talking about. Not sure how you do it.

At first I thought its high density was just for the first couple of updates for testing and/or showoff purposes, because they seem to have done this for a couple dinos. For now, it looks like they are continuing to stick around as usual. I hope it isn't the intended final decision for its implementation...

19 hours ago, Waffeleisen said:

Southern jungles and South Tropical Island, they should be everywhere.

16 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

This sounds like a great idea.

15 hours ago, mleii said:

About the only pain in having them would be getting health back, at least in comparison to a meat eater.  Regardless this is on my list of to tame now on the Xbox.  LOL

Get ready to wait hours. And hours. And hours. And possibly dying a couple times, too.

Also, make lots of narcs.

Archived