Anyone else starting to feel like the game has too many creatures?

wildbill

Just now, clumsynynja said:

...this game is about taming, breeding, and raising dinos while trying to survive in the wild. There is literally no plot to it whatsoever outside of the explorer notes and some vague hints. 

There are tons of games about survival, base building, and pvp- if you don't like dinos, I don't see why you'd pick one that was 99% about dinos. 

I think you are just trolling at this point.  Didn't say I don't like dino's and yet you twisted my words around like that cause you just want to get a rise out of people. Your not worth the time to bother with...

I think they should add more, honestly. Variety is the spice of life! If everyone used the same handful of dino's, the game would grow rather stale.

Speaking of them adding more, there's a mod that introduces wild humanoids to the mix called Tribesmen. Has anyone else seen this? I think it would be a neat mod for WC to either adopt or take inspiration from: https://youtu.be/xJm0J96u_0I?t=7m12s

8 hours ago, prince said:

What makes the frog good for the swamp cave might I ask?

Ever took one in there? I went with my fresh tame after a few levels, and a good saddle. Thing rips through absolutely everything in there (everything being only dragonflies it handles very well, and scorpions and spiders that are fairly easy to keep knocked back.) Walk out with 2k+ cementing paste.
Can't say I tried any other critters in there, but given the paste, I would feel wasteful trying.

Oh, and on topic: I disagree. More creatures fulfilling the same roles both allow for personal preferences beyond the typical "cookie cutter setups" as well as making it feel more like a living world than like standard roles that happen to be skinned to look like dinosaurs.

20 hours ago, wildbill said:

I've been playing Scorched Earth for a few months (since a week after it was released), then I log into an Island server with like 5 or 10 new types of creatures, and I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I've been playing over a year and been learning each new creature one or two at a time, but now I've fallen behind and am getting a bit confused. How can a brand new player sort out all of the creatures and which are dangerous and which are not?

Many seem to overlap in function and seem to be there just to have more types of creatures.

Is this getting too complicated? This used to be a much simpler game. Playing Scorched Earth, I think I like simpler over the complexity of the Island.

It takes a few days of seeing all the similar types to be able to tell them apart. It makes the game much more dangerous (maybe that is the idea). The kibble tree is very complex.

i got to question why we need this many creatures. Is this just to give it more of a realistic feel? Maybe to keep a few developers busy that crank out all these creatures?

All the different engrams are cool, no complaints there, even more of those (there will be more soon) is good.

Heh.

hehehe...

hahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA...

No.

Every creature is in some way unique, has some advantage or use. I will freely admit that many dino's occupy similar roles and utilities as others, typically this is a factor of level. There should be more advanced versions of the same roles as we progress from level 1 to level 100. Not everything should be an end-game tame.

I mean, the simple Parasaur is unique in the fact that it is a solid all-around starter mount (speed/weight/harvesting) and you can knock it out with a wooden club and tame it in like 20-30 min using berries.  At level 1! Try hitting a Trike/Stego on the noggin with a club, then tell a level 10 how it's a superior mount.

I would also add, go try them out. It's a pretty simple job usually to go tame something and then take it for a spin, treat them like a side-quest instead of end-game equipment and you will have fun playing with their quirks.

People who say 'there is no point' to any creature in Ark either has their XP speed turned up too high, are too busy watching raid video's on YouTube and only seeing 5 dinos, or have no imagination.

1 hour ago, Velathir said:

Heh.

hehehe...

hahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHA...

No.

Every creature is in some way unique, has some advantage or use. I will freely admit that many dino's occupy similar roles and utilities as others, typically this is a factor of level. There should be more advanced versions of the same roles as we progress from level 1 to level 100. Not everything should be an end-game tame.

I mean, the simple Parasaur is unique in the fact that it is a solid all-around starter mount (speed/weight/harvesting) and you can knock it out with a wooden club and tame it in like 20-30 min using berries.  At level 1! Try hitting a Trike/Stego on the noggin with a club, then tell a level 10 how it's a superior mount.

I would also add, go try them out. It's a pretty simple job usually to go tame something and then take it for a spin, treat them like a side-quest instead of end-game equipment and you will have fun playing with their quirks.

People who say 'there is no point' to any creature in Ark either has their XP speed turned up too high, are too busy watching raid video's on YouTube and only seeing 5 dinos, or have no imagination.

I concur, everything has its place, and those places go well with levels. I used my Parasaur's right up until i got a Quetz and Paracer. Each one has 1k carry weight, so between the three of them, i could haul a pretty decent load. Trikes have their place, and some things i tamed just for fun, like my Pachyrhino, i really feel like it SHOULD be really helpful, but i havent had chance to really do much with it yet, aside from pied pipering a group of 30 Allo away from our base and then getting them to disengage.

Everything has a place, but people rush to high level, and shoot for high level tames too often, they never settle and take a decent pace. I try and treat Dino like Pokemon, gotta catch them all ya know?

Is a carno bad? comparatively yeah, will i take my pack of Allo over a Rex? yeah anyday, unless i need to go get leech blood then ill take the rex so i dont have to worry about anything but the one dino im on.

The other big help with dealing with dino getting to be old hat, is making them useful again, not by adding abilities, but by doing server wide events, we just recently had dodo fights which went surprisingly well, so we followed up with parasaur races, which also went well. We then did a "if you can tame it in an hour and a half without kibble" free for all cage match, no joke it was crazy, i got screwed over repeatedly and came to the fight with a crap dire wolf, one guy showed up with a spino, it was tense, it was hard and frustrating but in the end it was worth it. It is one of the things that unofficial will always have over official, i havent been on an official that wants to do fun and interesting stuff, or organize it. We are planning on doing a type of terror bird skeeball too that i found online, because it looks fun.

Every dino has its day, even if it eventually gets relegated to the barn for eggs, its still fun to take them out for a jaunt.

I mean you want useless? Tame a Gallimimus, pain in the behind to tame, very resource heavy, but you put three people on it and FLY around the map, it is glorious!

Even a Dilpdocus has its use, if you feel like giving newbies tours around your respective server, it is all about outlook and your perceived utility.

Archived