Anyone else starting to feel like the game has too many creatures?

wildbill

I've been playing Scorched Earth for a few months (since a week after it was released), then I log into an Island server with like 5 or 10 new types of creatures, and I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I've been playing over a year and been learning each new creature one or two at a time, but now I've fallen behind and am getting a bit confused. How can a brand new player sort out all of the creatures and which are dangerous and which are not?

Many seem to overlap in function and seem to be there just to have more types of creatures.

Is this getting too complicated? This used to be a much simpler game. Playing Scorched Earth, I think I like simpler over the complexity of the Island.

It takes a few days of seeing all the similar types to be able to tell them apart. It makes the game much more dangerous (maybe that is the idea). The kibble tree is very complex.

i got to question why we need this many creatures. Is this just to give it more of a realistic feel? Maybe to keep a few developers busy that crank out all these creatures?

All the different engrams are cool, no complaints there, even more of those (there will be more soon) is good.

22 minutes ago, seXikanac said:

I'm huge critic of Ark but there is only one simple answer to your question. No!

Agreed. There aren't too many creatures, but in PvP there are only a few creatures with actual utility. 

In no particular order:

• Pteranodon
  • Argy (for mid-game taming, and that's about it)
  • Rex
  • Giga
  • Quetzal
  • Bronto
  • Turtle
  • Wyvern
  • Anky
  • Doedi (though you could technically do without this)
  • Beaver
  • Bear
  • Frog (swamp cave)
  • Rock Golem (arguably on the second list)

There are some other tames that can be useful, but are more for style:

• Paracer (mobile riot shield)
  • Rhino (enrage strategy)
  • Mosa (naval raids)
  • Saber
  • Spino

Every other dino in the game is essentially for kibble (for breeding), and the ones that don't produce kibble are literally for style.

I would very much like to see the game move closer to niche utility roles focused around gathering, teamwork, and most importantly: strategy (which means counterplay). We need the ability to counter builds and plays other than "do the same build, but have a better saddle and a better stat roll". 

2 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

No

Well there was the day when I couldn't wait for a new creature to appear with each new patch. Now I would really like to just see the game "finished" (released) with all the promised features, like Tek Tier.

I'd like them to resolve many of the things about the existing creatures that feel inconsistent or rough around the edges. Like why is the morel a early game tame but only fits through a behemoth gate? Why does it have small poop, not large or medium like every other creature its size?

Why do some creatures seem to exist just to make the kibble so hard to get? Why do you need a base with 100 creatures or more in it to farm all the eggs for kibble which then lags out the server every time someone comes near it?

48 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Well there was the day when I couldn't wait for a new creature to appear with each new patch. Now I would really like to just see the game "finished" (released) with all the promised features, like Tek Tier.

I'd like them to resolve many of the things about the existing creatures that feel inconsistent or rough around the edges. Like why is the morel a early game tame but only fits through a behemoth gate? Why does it have small poop, not large or medium like every other creature its size?

Why do some creatures seem to exist just to make the kibble so hard to get? Why do you need a base with 100 creatures or more in it to farm all the eggs for kibble which then lags out the server every time someone comes near it?

Actually a clever nod by the devs giving the morella small poops. As a desert dwelling creature Morellas would have evolved/been engineered to get every last scrap of nutrition and moisture from its food resulting in small very dry droppings. Compare for example the poop of a cow with it's very inefficient digestive system who creates large wet splats of dung, and that of a camel who can and will subsist on any manner of vegetation and only emits a scattering of bone dry pellets.

1 hour ago, TimeSpiral said:

Agreed. There aren't too many creatures, but in PvP there are only a few creatures with actual utility. 

In no particular order:

• Rex

• Mosa (naval raids)
  • Saber
  • Spino

some people I know swear by spino over rex, so really it belongs with rex, if you're gonna list it

I think part of what causes this perception is the large degree of overlap between spawns... It's like, everywhere you go, you can find the same 4-5 tames with a few others thrown in to give variability. I think creating better defined habitats for tames and restricting them to those zones would help a lot (i.e. Paraceratherium should either be swamp or redwoods only... Not both). Wildcard has kind of done this a little already, but some creatures still kinda run everywhere (Rex, Allo, Pteranodon, Diplo, etc)

I dont have any particular hate over the variety, but id much rather their workhours be spent on improving / fixing what we have instead of adding new stuff. Were still missing dozens of models for stuff on the ground, a lot of the old dinos models need an optimization pass on their mesh, most old dinos are still lacking features that were supposed to come with them.

A lot of them are now completely out of balance all together (partially due to new dinos being easier to get and invalidating the previous use and in other part thanks to random stats changes). 

So while yes, variety can be good, right now it feels like were getting variety to distract people from all the issues. 

6 hours ago, TimeSpiral said:

In no particular order:

• Pteranodon
  • Argy (for mid-game taming, and that's about it)
  • Rex
  • Giga
  • Quetzal
  • Bronto
  • Turtle
  • Wyvern
  • Anky
  • Doedi (though you could technically do without this)
  • Beaver
  • Bear
  • Frog (swamp cave)
  • Rock Golem (arguably on the second list)

• Mosa (naval raids)
  • Saber
  • Spino

Every other dino in the game is essentially for kibble (for breeding), and the ones that don't produce kibble are literally for style.

I would very much like to see the game move closer to niche utility roles focused around gathering, teamwork, and most importantly: strategy (which means counterplay). We need the ability to counter builds and plays other than "do the same build, but have a better saddle and a better stat roll". 

What makes the frog good for the swamp cave might I ask?

In my opinion, I don't think it's the issue of having too many creatures, as once they hit the balance and bug squashing phase of the development process, we know the dinosaurs and mammals are going to get a overhaul and the AI will be redone.   Maybe adjust the spawn locations, and spawn amounts a bit more.   If they are able to pull off herds, and have them migrate and move in a group around areas, that would give it a bit more flavor.

I.e.: adjust the Rex AI, to move in the woods more, giving it the appeal it's stalking herbivores in a field until it gets in range, and then have it charge into the open.  Granted, I know that would be a huge ass task, but would add a more appeal to the AI.

14 hours ago, wildbill said:

How can a brand new player sort out all of the creatures and which are dangerous and which are not?

Well, generally speaking, if it's got big teeth and a bad attitude, it's dangerous. Seriously, it's...not actually hard to reasonably guess what's dangerous and what isn't, Also, no. To answer your question. 

• Volunteer Moderator
13 hours ago, wildbill said:

You been here over a year so you know it's a alpha. you should know they are going to optimize the game. You know the finish line is coming soon. Why would you pigeon hole a game with less Dino's with less to do.  Tek tier will either be great or crap we will see. Just because you can't keep Dino's straight doesn't mean the rest of us can't. These posts frustrate me to no end but since u replied to me who tried to just say no. Now you get a full reply. Look at other Dino games they are weak boring have barely any dinos they don't even have building aspect. So what you would be happy with a raptor trex and bronto? Seriously u complain about too many Dino's too much variety are you the type of person that says can't have more then one topping on a pizza it's confusing. It's not hard to look up on wiki a bio and learn to tame or he'll figure it out on your own. I don't play pve so I don't have hundreds of Dino's like most ppl in pvp. We pick and choose our tools to suite our tribes needs. Then we tame for fun. Why they heck do u even need a behemoth gate build a ramp then destroy incoming side. I don't build gates waste of time. The devs gave you a fun world to explore and have fun then do it... don't ask for less... you don't want Tek which isn't even out yet then play on primitive or private servers that will have it disabled. Thousands of servers you can find the right one I'm sure. Oh and a lot of ppl hate scorched earth too boring no variety of Dino's..... 

I think there too many of them that I don't see why they were added to begin with. More creatures doesn't equal better game. I prefer fewer animal with proper AI than hundreds of them with such poor AI as current animals have. I think a lot of them were added only to have egg resources for kibbles to tame the animal are really worth your effort. Due to WC adding more creatures they made orginal ones almost useless in long run. (Yeah, TLC pass will come one day for them) Thankfully after next patch only 13 animals left. Maybe they would add all of them within 2 patches and then WC start polishing gameplay mechanics finally.

7 hours ago, Chewytowel said:

Yeah I've been feeling that way.  It just seems a tad too cluttered imo with all the extra dino's they are adding.  I loved it when it was a simpler game in many ways, but I'm also not a huge dino fan either.  

...then why are you playing a game that literally centers around dinos?....

12 hours ago, Zederia said:

some people I know swear by spino over rex, so really it belongs with rex, if you're gonna list it

Right, right. That's why I put the spino in the "style" list, because it has some overlap with the Rex, but not much. You'll see five rexes on a raid before a spino. Don't get me wrong, we have imprinted spinos. They're awesome.

7 hours ago, prince said:

What makes the frog good for the swamp cave might I ask?

The frog is an ideal mount because it is small enough to enter and exit the cave entrance, the high volume of bugs in the cave yields lots of cementing paste per run, it doesn't have as much difficulty with terrain, access to the ascendant saddle is easier, and max taming a frog is quick, easy, and doesn't take many resources. Some people will bring a bear, but there are some issues with that. 

1 hour ago, clumsynynja said:

...then why are you playing a game that literally centers around dinos?....

The game is about the Ark and the mystery as to who/what put our characters in it.  Btw I said not a huge fan, which means I am not super into dino's enough to care about all the different kinds of species there were.  That doesn't mean I don't find things like the bronto, giga, t-rex, or mosa interesting, but I would settle for less dino's over more cause I liked it better when there were less dino's in the game.  Also, the game is also about survival, base building, and pvp which is also fairly interesting.  I didn't really think my statement would be so hard to comprehend frankly.

4 minutes ago, Chewytowel said:

The game is about the Ark and the mystery as to who/what put our characters in it.  Btw I said not a huge fan, which means I am not super into dino's enough to care about all the different kinds of species there were.  That doesn't mean I don't find things like the bronto, giga, t-rex, or mosa interesting, but I would settle for less dino's over more cause I liked it better when there were less dino's in the game.  Also, the game is also about survival, base building, and pvp which is also fairly interesting.  I didn't really think my statement would be so hard to comprehend frankly.

...this game is about taming, breeding, and raising dinos while trying to survive in the wild. There is literally no plot to it whatsoever outside of the explorer notes and some vague hints. 

There are tons of games about survival, base building, and pvp- if you don't like dinos, I don't see why you'd pick one that was 99% about dinos. Heck, it's explicitly marketed as a 'dinosaur survival game'- it's sort of a game for people who love dinos, really, moreso even then just a game for people who want another, generic Minecraft clone. 

If dinos really don't interest you, maybe Terreria, Stardew Valley, Minecraft, No Man's Sky, The Forest, etc, are more your thing. 

Archived